The Official PAW Rules + Supplement - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
country flag robuś

robuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official PAW Rules + Supplement

The Official PAW Rules + Supplement

1. I’m new and I have never played PAW, so how does it work?

PAW is an abbreviation for Pick-A-Winner. It is a game when you predict the winners of matches of your choice during a ATP Tournament. As a PAW player, you are indeed like a ATP player, you will be travelling the PAW circuit each week predicting matches in each tournament. PAW is game in which there is no pre-determined luck or fantasy, your performance is based on your own conscience relative to your fellow PAW competitors.

2. Ok, so I hear something about predicting matches, is there a limit to the number of matches I predict per tournament?

Yes there is a limit.

For:
Grand Slams, you are permitted to 26 picks
Other 128-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 19 picks
One-week 64-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 16 picks
One-week 32-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 13 picks
16-draw tournaments/round-robins, you are permitted to 7 picks.

The number of matches you pick can be from ANY rounds in the main draw. For example for a one-week 32 draw tournament you are allowed 13 picks.
(For instance, you might choose 4 First Round Matches, 4 Second Round matches, 2 Quarter Finals, both Semis and the Final. Or you could choose 12 First Round matches and the Final.)

>> The only stipulation is that you may not make all of your picks in the same round.

3. So how is my performance measured relative to everyone else’s, is it to do with who picks the most correct matches?

NO, your predicting performance at the end of the tournament will be determined and determined only by the Scoring Points that you have compiled throughout the week.

4. So what are these Scoring Points?

For every singles main draw match, there will be scoring points posted in the first post. Here is an example taken from Dubai Round 1st in 2008.

Scoring Points:

1st Round

Code:
Federer, Roger .......... vs Murray, Andy ............ (5-20)
Schuettler, Rainer ...... vs Verdasco, Fernando ...... (14-7)
Wawrinka, Stanislas ..... vs Hernych, Jan ............ (5-19)
Al Ghareeb, Mohammed .... vs Davydenko, Nikolay ...... (62-2)
The numbers after the fixtures are the Scoring Points. These are the respective points you score for picking each player. So if you pick Federer to beat Murray and Federer wins then you score 5 points.

But if you pick Murray to win and he wins then you score 20 points. Of course, if you pick Murray and he loses you score nothing at all.

As you have noticed, you get more points for picking low-ranked players than for picking high-ranked players. So for each of your selected matches you can choose to go for a “longshot” or to play it safe.

Let’s say you picked these matches:

PAW1: Murray over Federer
PAW2: Verdasco over Schuettler
PAW3: Hernych over Wawrinka
PAW4: Al Ghareeb over Davydenko

nB: Since you are limited to a certain amount of “picks” in a tournament (13 in this particular tournament), in an actual game you may choose to 'pass' on some of these matches.

The Results:

Murray def. Federer 67(6) 63 64
You picked Murray so you score 20 points

Verdasco def. Schuettler 76(7) 46 61
You picked Verdasco so you score 7 points

Hernych def. Wawrinka 64 64
You picked Hernych so you score 19 points

Davydenko def. Al Ghareeb 64 60
You picked Al Ghareeb so you score 0 points

So from those four matches, you would have accumulated a total of 20 + 7 + 19 + 0 = 46 points.
The player with the most points at the end of the tournament is the winner. A 'league table' is maintained and will posted in the first post of the PAW thread throughout that tournament.

5. How and where do I post my PAW’s (Predictions)?

Once the tournament that you have committed begins (keep reading for instructions of how to commit), go to the PAW thread located in that particular tournament forum (ie if it is Dubai, go to the Dubai tournament forum and then click the PAW Dubai thread). You may also send your picks by PM to the current PAW manager of that tournament.

Study the Fixtures and Scoring Points in the first post and then name your picks. The Fixtures and Scoring Points will appear when the First Round draw is made. You are allowed to post your picks before the Fixtures and Scoring Points have been posted on the thread.

This is how to post your prediction:

PAWn: Your Pick over Your Pick's Opponent

E.g. PAW1: Murray over Federer

"n" should indicate which of your 13 chosen fixtures it is. (ie your last chosen fixture should be labelled PAW13.)

Numbering PAWS not only is important to help the current PAW manager, but also helps you keep track of all your own Picks.

nB: You must posted your prediction in the format “Murray over Federer” or “Murray def Federer,” it must be clearly specified who you have predicted to win. If you posted “Murray vs Federer” this pick would be deemed invalid. You are also required to specify the full surname of the players - no abbreviations or nicknames please.

5.1 "Final pick rule"

The last pick (on the final day only) can be, but it is not a must, send via pm to the manager of the tournament. It would be good, not obligatory, but recommended that the player posts on the paw thread informing about his/her move. The manager can then post the picks he/she has received via pm once the final has started or when they are next online.

5.2 What if I posted PAW1 and next PAW2 as a reversed PAW1?

The case:
PAW1: PLAYER A over PLAYER B
PAW2: PLAYER B over PLAYER A

is equal with not putting picks (paws) at all. Both picks are not valid and may be replaced.

5.3 What if I posted PAW1 and next PAW2 the same as PAW1?

The case:
PAW1: PLAYER A over PLAYER B
PAW2: PLAYER A over PLAYER B

it's a double pick. PAW2 is not valid and may be replaced.

6. What happens when mtf.com is slow or down?
In this extreme situation, you may post your PAWS on alternative forum (pawforum) http://www.pawforum.ovh.org
Do remember to include your mtf.com handle.

7. Is it correct that I have to post my PAW’s before that match has started, would my PAW still be valid if I posted my PAW during the first few games?

NO, All picks must be made before the match begins. If there is a chance the match had started when the Pick was posted then that Pick cannot be accepted. This rule is applied very strictly.

Post your picks before the session of play begins to ensure your picks are accepted. This is so everyone knows your pick was made before the match started. (Match start times are not recorded, so picks made five minutes before a match starts cannot normally be accepted)

> In the circumstance of a tournament which provides live scores. Your PAW must be posted no later than five minutes within the last five minutes of the previous match on that court. If the match is the first on that court, you must post your PAW no later that the five minute barrier five minutes before the match time, for your pick to be valid.

> If the tournament does not provide live scores (ie not live internet scoreboard), the Closing Time for each match will determined by a formula, which is based on the total number of games played in earlier matches in the same session. Basically, three minutes are allowed for each game plus 10 minutes for each break between matches.

Picks posted after the Closing Time are accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
(e.g. in the case of rain delays, or if I happen to have watched the match live and noted the start time).

8. Would a PAW become invalid if a player withdrew from their match?

This depends:
> If the player withdrew before the match and not one single point was completed, the PAW would be invalid and players are allowed to make a replacement PAW.

> If the player withdrew from the match after at least one single points had been completed, the PAW would be valid.

9. What if a player withdraws from the final (before the match), would that make the last pick invalid and mean I would go throughout the tournament only picking 12 matches, rather than the maximum 13?

Yes, this is an unfortunate circumstance. If it is impossible to make a replacement PAW it is unfortunate and no Scoring Points are awarded. This rule applies to all matches not played (e.g. matches cancelled due to rain).

10. What if I change my mind after I make my PAW, can I change it?

It is strongly encouraged that you make up your mind before you pick. However you are allowed to make replacement PAWS as long as it is posted before the match and it most be specified in a new post. You MUST NOT edit your original post, since this is not efficient for the PAW manager in compiling your picks.

10.1 Original pick can not be replaced if any of the points below occurs:

1. the new pick is not valid
2. the new pick is the same as any of the previous picks

10.2 Don't edit the post and never delete it!

A moderator (or administrator) will scan tournament's thread every day to track on deleted/edited posts. If you caught cheating, you will be automatically disqualified from this tournament. In certain case, you might be banned from playing temporarily or permanently. Please play fairly, everybody!

Punishments for paw's cheaters:
For 1st cheating -> disqualification from current tournament and banning for a month from playing PAW-game.
For 2nd cheating -> permbanning from playing PAW-game.

10.3 Don't copy pick(s) from another player(s)!

If the manager recognizes, that Your picks were copied from another player, You will get warning, if Your picks are still "suspicious" You will be disqualified from the current tournament, in case of another attempts of cheating You will be banned.

11. What if a draw change occurred, that affected my pick, would that make it invalid?

Yes, however you are again permitted to post a replacement PAW that must be specified in a new post rather than editing the original one.

nB: Once a Pick is posted in the PAW thread, it may not be changed or deleted.

Players that decide to delete their PAWS will suffer a penalty of being defaulted from that particular tournament and will serve a one month ban from playing PAW (the only exception is for players playing their first tournament). Players that commit this act twice are subject for a permanent banning from PAW.

The PAW manager frequently takes copies of the thread text at regular intervals and the Picks are entered into a database.

12. Am I permitted to play under two or more accounts in PAW?

In order to retain the integrity and spirit of PAW, this is not allowed. Players that appear to be suspicious of having accounts transmitting from the same IP, will have their IP’s checked from the MTF.com webmasters and could risk being suspended in PAW.

You must be a member on MTF, with a full account's activation.

n.B: It has come to my attention recently that there appears to be an increase in PAW players using multiple user accounts.

Re: The League Table

Each player's points are tallied and the player with the most points at the end of the tournament is declared the winner. In the event of a tie there is no 'tiebreaker'. The 'League Table' is maintained daily throughout the tournament.

Here's an example from end of tournament:

Code:
. . Player..................... .. .P .. W .. L ..Pts 
1 . speedster_................. .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..133
2 . saab95..................... .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..128
3 . sandg (2).................. .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..126
4 . YoungProfessor............. .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 ..124
5 . ntohir..................... .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 ..122
6 . Wojtek (1)................. .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..117
7 . Je_ne_sais_quoi............ .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 ..105
8 . mypapa_je.................. .. 13 .. 6 .. 7 ..102
9 . SpikeyAidanm (4)........... .. 13 .. 6 .. 7 .. 96
10 . j_dementieva27............ .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 .. 94
11 . twight6................... .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 .. 93
12 . WTA Handicapper (6)....... .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 .. 92
> Under the far left column represents the league table position of that player, which usually changes on daily basis.

> Under the “P” column are the total number of picks made of that player at a certain time (ie – after the QF or after the whole tournament). This column is important for players to check out how many picks they have left.

> Under the “W” column are the number of picks that player has made correctly. This has no bearing on their final league table position, remember only the total amount of points are considered.

> Similarly, under the “L” column are the number of picks the player has made incorrectly.

> Under the “Pts” column is the total number of points the player has gained through the scoring points of the matches. Again this is continually changing until the final day.

nB:
> (n) denotes the seed of that player, which like the ATP Ranking system is determined through the player’s PAW ranking as of the previous week. Seeded players are not advantaged in any way.

> (WC) represents that that particular player has requested a wildcard to enter the tournament, see the section of commitments for more details about Wildcards.

Re: Rankings

The PAW Ranking System closely mirrors the ATP Ranking System. Ranking Points are awarded according to positions in the Final League Table of each tournament.

13. How are ranking points distributed?

For example from the above Dubai 2008 tournament, ranking points are offered to the following places as follows:

Code:
1st ---- 300 ..... 9th ---- 68 ...... 17th --- 24 ...... 25th --- 19 
2nd ---- 210 ..... 10th --- 62 ...... 18th --- 23 ...... 26th --- 18 
3rd ---- 172 ..... 11th --- 56 ...... 19th --- 23 ...... 27th --- 18 
4th ---- 135 ..... 12th --- 50 ...... 20th --- 22 ...... 28th --- 17 
5th ---- 120 ..... 13th --- 43 ...... 21st --- 21 ...... 29th --- 16 
6th ---- 105 ..... 14th --- 37 ...... 22nd --- 21 ...... 30th --- 16 
7th ---- 90 ...... 15th --- 31 ...... 23rd --- 20 ...... 31st --- 15 
8th ---- 75 ...... 16th --- 25 ...... 24th --- 20 ...... 32nd --- 15 

33rd --- 14 ...... 41st --- 11 ...... 49th --- 7 ....... 57th --- 4
34th --- 14 ...... 42nd --- 10 ...... 50th --- 7 ....... 58th --- 3
35th --- 13 ...... 43rd --- 10 ...... 51st --- 6 ....... 59th --- 3
36th --- 13 ...... 44th --- 9 ....... 52nd --- 6 ....... 60th --- 2
37th --- 12 ...... 45th --- 9 ....... 53rd --- 5 ....... 61st --- 2
38th --- 12 ...... 46th --- 8 ....... 54th --- 5 ....... 62nd --- 1
39th --- 11 ...... 47th --- 8 ....... 55th --- 4 ....... 63rd --- 1
40th --- 11 ...... 48th --- 8 ....... 56th --- 4 ....... 64th --- 1

14. What happens if I finish equal 3rd with two other players, does that mean the 3rd, 4th and 5th position are determined through who has the best win-loss ratio?

Tie break rules
In case several players have the same number of points, the following rules will be used to determine their ranking:
1. The greater number of won picks.
If there is still a tie then:
2. The greater points of a single pick.
If there is still a tie then the greater second-best pick, and so on.
No pick will be considered better than 0 pts.
3. If there is still a tie then players will stay tied.

15. What happens if I finish equal 10th with another player, does that mean we both earn 32 points that week?

No, players that finish with the same number of points of a certain number of other players, are awarded “average points.”

For example if two players finish equal 10th, each would earn ( 32+ 29 ) / 2 = 30.5 points (see the above table). If three players finished equal 10th, each would earn ( 32 + 29 + 26) / 3 = 29 points.

16. Are the games PAW(s) Doubles, PAW ITF and PAW Qualifying related to this game?

No, and they never will be. These game are run by different people and have different rules.

17. OK, I’ve read everything and understood it and I would like to play, so what do I do now?

Just go to the current PAW commitment thread which is located in the PAW forum and post, “I commit to….,” the tournaments available, that can be seen on the first post of that thread. You must have posted a commitment before the deadline (which is a day before the start of main draw play or else you will have to apply for a wildcard). Remember you can play just one PAW game at a time. Even when more than one tournament is run simultaneously, and there are PAW games for each of them, you must commit to one tournament.

17.1 Deadline for commitment - what is the exact moment?

It's at midnight local time (for the tournament's place) the day before the begining of a main draw, e.g. if a main draw starts on Monday, the deadline is at Sunday midnight (which means from Sunday to Monday).

17.1.1 The World Clocks for ATP tournament cities

The link: http://www.pawforum.ovh.org/worldclocks

Wildcards

17.2 Wildcards - how many of them are available in the tournament, and when are they granted?

The number of WCs is limited to 5 per tournament. Additionally the manager can grant extra WCs for new players only.
WCs are given to players who failed to make a commitment until the deadline or wish to change their tournament after that. Players who asked for WC while the commitment list was still open will be treated as if they have already commited on time.

17.3 Wildcards - how many of them can I take during the whole year-season?

Three.

17.4 When can I withdraw from one event and switch to another?

You can do that only if you don't have any picks posted at the moment (and later) of the beginning of the 1st match main draw of the tournament from which you want to withdraw.

17.5 Obligation of the WC player's.

A player who asks for a WC and receives it, is obliged to post his/her pick within 12 hours from the moment of posting the request for a WC, otherwise the manager can take the WC away if required (eg.: in the case when there is no WCs left and another player asks for it).

17.6 What if a player posts picks without commitment or WC?

His picks are not valid until he asks for WC. Therefore posted picks become valid at the moment of question for a WC. So picks for matches played in the meantime are invalid.

TMC

18. The Master Cup's Qualification Rules.

Top 16 players of The Champions Race automatically qualify to The Masters Cup.
Note to the Tie Break Rules in TMC: if there are ties not resolved by the usual rules, ranking will be determined by ranking in the Champions Race.

Please post any questions or comments.

Robuś

Last edited by robuś : 01-31-2012 at 03:39 PM.
robuś is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supplement to The Official PAW Rules

Thanks robus.

Is the YEC field this year top 16 or top 8?

Winner:2012 Madrid, 2011 Rome, 2009 Delray Beach, Montreal 2008 Toronto, 2007 New Haven, 2005 St. Petersburg

TT Singles Career High: 7
TT Doubles Career High: 4

Singles Winner: 2010 Bucharest, 2007 Indian Wells
Doubles Winner: 2012 San Jose, Queens (w/hallso) 2011 Los Angeles (w/hallso)
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
bad gambler

View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
country flag robuś

robuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill
Thanks robus.

Is the YEC field this year top 16 or top 8?
I think like last year top 16, but that would be up for discussion.

http://www.powerplaymanager.com/

Last edited by robuś : 08-13-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. One question I have and this one is a grey area for me anyway.

When does a pick constitute a late pick? I mean in my view, if they are warming up then it's Ok, as they usually need 10-15 mins including a warm up before the match starts. I mean if I see someone has posted and it's 0-15 then it's late, but what is the rule on that?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
country flag robuś

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Thanks for that. One question I have and this one is a grey area for me anyway.

When does a pick constitute a late pick? I mean in my view, if they are warming up then it's Ok, as they usually need 10-15 mins including a warm up before the match starts. I mean if I see someone has posted and it's 0-15 then it's late, but what is the rule on that?
Point 7 Official PAW Rules gives detailed explanation on that. Player can't use the "warm up time" as a rule, he should make it before the time of the beginning of match stated in OOP. But if someone has posted his pick a few seconds before 0-15, he should be aware of the fact, that the manager will consider such pick invalid, if he won't be able to check if the pick was on time.

Quote:
7. Is it correct that I have to post my PAW’s before that match has started, would my PAW still be valid if I posted my PAW during the first few games?

NO, All picks must be made before the match begins. If there is a chance the match had started when the Pick was posted then that Pick cannot be accepted. This rule is applied very strictly.

Post your picks before the session of play begins to ensure your picks are accepted. This is so everyone knows your pick was made before the match started. (Match start times are not recorded, so picks made five minutes before a match starts cannot normally be accepted)

> In the circumstance of a tournament which provides live scores. Your PAW must be posted no later than five minutes within the last five minutes of the previous match on that court. If the match is the first on that court, you must post your PAW no later that the five minute barrier five minutes before the match time, for your pick to be valid.

> If the tournament does not provide live scores (ie not live internet scoreboard), the Closing Time for each match will determined by a formula, which is based on the total number of games played in earlier matches in the same session. Basically, three minutes are allowed for each game plus 10 minutes for each break between matches.

Picks posted after the Closing Time are accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
(e.g. in the case of rain delays, or if I happen to have watched the match live and noted the start time).

Last edited by robuś : 08-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks the 5 min rule solves the problem clearly.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
User id 7816

User id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's 'the rules', but can someone remind me why matches in which players retire are considered valid? It doesn't seem fair to me. For eg. Coria retires at 3:2 first set and you get 44 pts for that? Yeah, right.
User id 7816 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute

Who and when decided on the penalties policy?
I don't recall that subject being discussed.
I think a month ban is too harsh for 1st offence.

Regarding the late picks rule... it seems the policy I allways used was not as described here. If there is indication that a match has not started at the time of posting the pick, it's valid.
Semifinal: 2004 - Houston, Casablanca, Nottingham, Stuttgart, Cincinnati
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alma
I know it's 'the rules', but can someone remind me why matches in which players retire are considered valid? It doesn't seem fair to me. For eg. Coria retires at 3:2 first set and you get 44 pts for that? Yeah, right.
Perhaps because when bonus (quality) points were part of the ranking (for women until last year), players would get bonus points in case their opponent retired during the game, but didn't get them in case of win by walk over.
I think that rule was part of PAW from the beginning, but I can't testify on that since I wasn't here at that time (I'm only 3 years young at MTF).

I recall there was a discussion on that about a year ago, but the results were inconclusive.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
country flag robuś

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsansh
Who and when decided on the penalties policy?
I don't recall that subject being discussed.
I think a month ban is too harsh for 1st offence.
The penalties policy is taken from WTAworld, where it exists for quite a long time. There is no problem of changing it, if it seems harsh to other managers too.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
country flag nitsansh

It's OK to penalize players that you can prove were cheating.
But if that's not the case, it seems too harsh for me.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
country flag robuś

Quote:
But if that's not the case, it seems too harsh for me.
What do you mean by this? What other case are you talking about? I thought proved cheating was the only case we are talking about.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
country flag nitsansh

So I agree with that. It wasn't clear when I read it first time.

How do you prove someone is a cheater?
For example, in case of an edit, how do you know what was the previous post if you didn't see it?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
country flag robuś

Quote:
How do you prove someone is a cheater?
For example, in case of an edit, how do you know what was the previous post if you didn't see it?
Of course we cannot prove someone is a cheater, but we also cannot prove that someone isn't. Therefore there is nothing to be proved, the rules should be clear. Player who edited his PAW after the begining of the first match of the day should be considered a cheater.
Fortunately there aren't many such cases.