Upcoming American Players - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 AM   #16
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming American Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
He just turned 17. He's still younger than the majority of guys he faces in juniors.
He hasn't done that well there lately, either. It's too early to write him off, but he hasn't done much to prove that he's going to be a factor in the pros, either. We'll see.... but he needs a major attitude readjustment.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #17
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
The 18s bracket in Kalamazoo has been very predictable. It's gone exactly as I thought it would. Young-McClune, Fugate-Spencer, Clayton-Smyczek, and Damico-Levine are the QF matchups. So far Levine has been the most dominant, followed by Young.
Gooooooooo Tim!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #18
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatejBockoFan
He hasn't done that well there lately, either. It's too early to write him off, but he hasn't done much to prove that he's going to be a factor in the pros, either. We'll see.... but he needs a major attitude readjustment.
If he wants a chance at the pros, he needs to spend the next year on the Futures circuit. If a kid in the 16 to 18 age bracket can't win matches at the Futures level, its not likely there to be a profitable pro career in store for them.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #19
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatejBockoFan
How many players his age or younger have proven themselves on the pro level? It's not exactly common for players to hit it big before their 17th birthday.

Young has had an excellent junior career. Most players with his resume would be considered exciting prospects. But because of the hype and unrealistic expectations that have surrounded him, he's being held to a different standard than other young players.

Young hasn't played much juniors this year. He's only played the Easter Bowl, the French Open, and Wimbledon. He won the Easter Bowl and reached the third round of the two grand slams. And now he's in the QFs of the National Championships in Kalamazoo. That's not too shabby, though I'll concede that it's not dominant. On the whole, however, he's been outstanding on the junior level, despite facing older competition throughout his career.

I'm not aware of any attitude problems. What's he said or done to warrant that characterization? I know that his parents have made some outlandish statements, but I haven't heard anything bad about Young himself.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 AM   #20
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkygirl
If he wants a chance at the pros, he needs to spend the next year on the Futures circuit. If a kid in the 16 to 18 age bracket can't win matches at the Futures level, its not likely there to be a profitable pro career in store for them.
FWIW, Young is 9-7 on the Futures circuit this year. He's 2-3 in Challengers.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #21
country flag SHB

Young's into the semis after defeating Michael McClune in straight sets. He hasn't dropped a set in the tournament. He'll meet Marcus Fugate next. I kind of like Fugate in that one, but it should be close. My money is on a Levine-Smyczek semifinal in the bottom half of the bracket.

In the 16s bracket, 14-year-old Alex Domijan has advanced to the semis where he'll play #1 seed Brennan Boyajian.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #22
country flag Scotso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
How many players his age or younger have proven themselves on the pro level? It's not exactly common for players to hit it big before their 17th birthday.
I didn't imply that any have, but until they do something to show that they have potential you shouldn't exactly start touting them, is all that I was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
Young has had an excellent junior career.
So have a lot of other players that never amounted to anything. Kristian Pless was a #1 junior, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
I'm not aware of any attitude problems. What's he said or done to warrant that characterization? I know that his parents have made some outlandish statements, but I haven't heard anything bad about Young himself.
Read some of his interviews. There's also the fact that he tends to refer to himself in the third person.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #23
country flag SHB

Any comments in particular that you'd like to bring to my attention? The third person stuff, while a tad annoying, doesn't really bother me. I don't see it as evidence that he's in need of a major attitude adjustment. Surely there's more to your belief than that.

And no, being a great junior doesn't mean that you'll be a great pro. But a great junior has a higher probability of being successful than a mediocre junior. One can cite numerous examples of great juniors who've failed and mediocre juniors who've excelled, but on average (especially recently) the top-ranked junior does better. Juniors performance is not without value as an indicator of future success. I think it does reveal something about a player's potential. In any case, the purpose of that comment was to emphasize that while Young hasn't necessarily been outstanding in juniors recently, his body of work certainly has been.

My initial point wasn't that Young has proven himself to be a good pro, or that he's destined to be one. My point is that far too many have prematurely given up on him. His ATP results notwithstanding, he has showed considerable promise. If not for the excessive hype that's surrounded him, the public perception of him would be much more positive.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
FWIW, Young is 9-7 on the Futures circuit this year. He's 2-3 in Challengers.
I feel like he needs to focus solely on playing the Futures and conquering that arena and then go from there. Like someone else mentioned, he's referred to himself in the third person in interviews, his parents have made ridiculous statements about his ability which I do not doubt that they indoctrinate him with, not to mention the ridiculous number of Challenger and main draw wild cards thrown his way, when he hasn't even proven himself at the lowest levels of the pro game (the Futures). He has a winning record in the Futures, but does he have a long way to go? Definitely. There's a sickening desperation for a new American tennis prodigy and he's caught up in the midst of it.

Furthermore, why is he continuing to play junior tournaments? He's made his point there. Now, its time to solely focus on playing with the big boys and learning the necessary mental toughness to survive the week in and week out grind of the pro tour.

Partygirl rules!!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #25
country flag SHB

I get the feeling that Young is suffering from a lack of confidence rather than excess confidence. Getting drilled time and time again in ATP matches will do that to you. Maybe overconfidence was the problem in the beginning.

I think he's playing juniors to get back to winning and restore his confidence. That's what everybody's been saying he needs to do. But I agree about Young needing to focus on Futures, although I don't think it's a bad idea to accept some Challenger WCs. After the U.S. Junior Open and perhaps the Orange Bowl, hopefully he'll focus exclusively on the lower pro circuits, with the possible exception of the National Championships again next year.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #26
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB

Young has had an excellent junior career. Most players with his resume would be considered exciting prospects. But because of the hype and unrealistic expectations that have surrounded him, he's being held to a different standard than other young players.

Young hasn't played much juniors this year. He's only played the Easter Bowl, the French Open, and Wimbledon. He won the Easter Bowl and reached the third round of the two grand slams. And now he's in the QFs of the National Championships in Kalamazoo. That's not too shabby, though I'll concede that it's not dominant. On the whole, however, he's been outstanding on the junior level, despite facing older competition throughout his career.

A couple of things he said demonstrated a bit a of a "tude". He is very young still, so I'm not going to crucify him for it. After regularly getting crushed in all his ATP appearances, he said something to the effect that he can always go back to the juniors and beat everybody love and love. He also made an outlandish comment that the reason he was losing his ATP matches was because the pros he faced tried harder when playing him, because they didn't want to face the embarrassment of losing to a 16 year old.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #27
country flag SHB

Those are silly comments. It sounds like he was using them as a bit of a defense mechanism.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #28
country flag SHB

In the 18s consolation bracket, Chase Buchanan defeated Rhyne Williams 7-6, 6-4. If I'm not mistaken, Buchanan has won the last three matches between them.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #29
country flag SHB

Smyczek and Levine will meet in the second semifinal. Levine has steamrolled every opponent he's faced. Smyczek hasn't had much more trouble, although he has dropped a set. This one is anybody's guess. I'll go with Smyczek in three tight sets.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
country flag binkygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB
I get the feeling that Young is suffering from a lack of confidence rather than excess confidence. Getting drilled time and time again in ATP matches will do that to you. Maybe overconfidence was the problem in the beginning.

I think he's playing juniors to get back to winning and restore his confidence. That's what everybody's been saying he needs to do. But I agree about Young needing to focus on Futures, although I don't think it's a bad idea to accept some Challenger WCs. After the U.S. Junior Open and perhaps the Orange Bowl, hopefully he'll focus exclusively on the lower pro circuits, with the possible exception of the National Championships again next year.
If he can win some Futures, then he can have the Challenger wild cards. His case is one of too much too soon.

Partygirl rules!!