Deb, Nat, and Brian's Thread of Grammar Shame. - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:01 AM   #76
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deb, Nat, and Brian's Thread of Grammar Shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkadelicious
Chill the fuck out dude!
Pretty sure NYC was kidding around...

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 AM   #77
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
You are getting influenced by Nadal's spanglish, no?
Yes. I am under a lot of pression at work.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:03 AM   #78
country flag Phunkadelicious

Phunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
Pretty sure NYC was kidding around...
And I wasn't?
Phunkadelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #79
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
All I have to say is "dam you're stoopid grammar thread".

Its the most childish thing I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of childish thing's on these board's. Our you actually going to sit their and correct every grammar mistake including comma splices, that is'nt cool.

You have to except that people will make mistake's, accept of coarse certain grammar gods. There people who didn't get learnt very good out their so its not they're fault they dont speak or write good.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:12 AM   #80
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Since we're in a grammar thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
'heart' is STILL not a verb...
...why not? If "head", "eye", "nose", "gum", "tongue", "throat", "neck", "shoulder", "elbow", "finger", "knuckle", "thumb", "arm", "stomach", "leg", "knee", "foot", "heel", and "toe" are all acceptable verbs, and there is to my knowledge no existing denominal verb for "heart" with the particular meaning I take it that you have objection to, why should we fight zero derivation here?

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #81
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkadelicious
And I wasn't?
Wasn't sure, not familiar enough with your posts.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #82
country flag Bagelicious

Bagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
Since we're in a grammar thread...

...why not? If "head", "eye", "nose", "gum", "tongue", "throat", "neck", "shoulder", "elbow", "finger", "knuckle", "thumb", "arm", "stomach", "leg", "knee", "foot", "heel", and "toe" are all acceptable verbs, and there is to my knowledge no existing denominal verb for "heart" with the particular meaning I take it that you have objection to, why should we fight zero derivation here?
It's the Blue-Eyed Goddess of Wisdom starring in:

"The Attack of the Linguist"

Coming to an MTF thread near you...

Edit: The movie trailer gig may be getting old, so I'll leave it at that.

I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 AM   #83

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajonie
It's the Blue-Eyed Goddess of Wisdom starring in:

"The Attack of the Linguist"

Coming to an MTF thread near you...
I prefer to translate it "Grey-Eyed", but as you wish.

Hey, I'm a prescriptivist with the best of them, but I think it's silly to resist sensible--emphasis: sensible--expansions of the language.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #84

Wait, I have one! Shield your eyes and gird your loins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryss_20
hei girlz long tym no post....i watchd feli's match i thot he was gona lose easily but he really made ljubo beat him...its a shame dat he lost he was rili aggresive and most of d crowd were on his side....

since he reachd d 1/4 last year dis wud mean dat he wud lose points ryt??

welz ders olweiz next yir....he was rili unlucky to draw ivan on d 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Carlita*~
omg... translation please??? sorry

if I understood you right.... yeah he will drop quite a bit....... to 60-70 or something....

Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 AM   #85
country flag am&a

am&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond repute

OUCH.
am&a is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #86
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait, I have one! Shield your eyes and gird your loins!

Maybe it is time to expand the language to include the IM and text messaging
lexicon?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #87
country flag Bagelicious

Bagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I prefer to translate it "Grey-Eyed", but as you wish.
I bow down before thy classicist might!

I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #88

Quote:
Maybe it is time to expand the language to include the IM and text messaging
lexicon?
No.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #89
Fed Fo Mod

Quote:
No.
LOL! What's interesting about IM-speak is that some of it makes sense i.e. shortening 'you' to 'u' to save time, but at other times, it is just plain counter-productive.

For example:

"welz ders olweiz next yir"

That probably took longer to type out compared with, "well, there's always next year," because your brain has to switch into IM-speak mode to type that out, translating as you go. Then again, maybe the person only writes this way and no translation is needed.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #90

Quote:
LOL! What's interesting about IM-speak is that some of it makes sense i.e. shortening 'you' to 'u' to save time, but at other times, it is just plain counter-productive.

For example:

"welz ders olweiz next yir"

That probably took longer to type out compared with, "well, there's always next year," because your brain has to switch into IM-speak mode to type that out, translating as you go. Then again, maybe the person only writes this way and no translation is needed.
Perhaps more to the point, translation is needed for most people to *understand* it; hence it impedes communication. I am opposed to a drastic orthographic reform of the English language, even though it means spelling and pronunciation have little in common--and I would be deeply surprised if that poster actually has a stop for "th"--because that way only one orthographical system has to be taught. Yes, it's a counterintuitive one and involves an increasing amount of memorization, but as long as there are some principles, most of that can take place in grade school, and it makes a larger body of literature accessible with less study.

Pronunciation changes so fast that an orthographical standard will act as a sort of lingua franca across the ages, even assuming mass media acts to level out the pronunciation of each generation to a large extent. It's also the case that the standardization of spelling *before* the Great Vowel Shift, a pure accident of history, makes it easier today to recognize cognates in the other Germanic languages. You can't stop changes in pronunciation, but you can freeze spelling and you should. Change the spelling with pronunciation and you'll only be able to read easily what was written by people who pronounced the words similarly.

End spiel.