Deb, Nat, and Brian's Thread of Grammar Shame. - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #361
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deb, Nat, and Brian's Thread of Grammar Shame.

Brian, you just brought the Simon and Garfunkel "I am a Rock" song to mind.
I am a rock bot,
I am an island cyborg.

And a rock feels no pain bot knows all things;
And an island never cries cyborg's always right.

Incidentally, you can tell by my use of assonance that I have a different vowel in "thing" than most people.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.

Last edited by atheneglaukopis : 08-17-2006 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Syllable count
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #362
country flag Phunkadelicious

Phunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond repute

You just reminded me of the song Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles:

Atheneglaukopis picks up the book in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?
Phunkadelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #363
country flag surfpinky

surfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
Defensible, but unintuitive to me. I would use the nominative, probably for reasons of stylistics--I think it's more forceful to emphasize the subject of the action--and generality--it's applicable in all cases. Let us go then, you and I...
"A group of us taxpayers"?
um, okay.
"...but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to..."
surfpinky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #364

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpinky
um, okay.
I was asking if you meant to type, "A group of us taxpayers," because as the sentence stands it has no pronoun, and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was intended. That's what I came up with, because it seems the construction most likely to be questioned. If my guess is wrong, please let me know.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.

Last edited by atheneglaukopis : 08-17-2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I decided that "type" works like "say" and adjusted my comma placement accordingly.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #365
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brian, you just brought the Simon and Garfunkel "I am a Rock" song to mind.
I am a rock bot,
I am an island cyborg.

And a rock feels no pain bot knows all things;
And an island never cries cyborg's always right.

Incidentally, you can tell by my use of assonance that I have a different vowel in "thing" than most people.
OMG STFU.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFeatherBoa
OMG STFU.
All right, that's the second time someone's told me that since post 300. What have I done now?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #367
country flag surfpinky

surfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was asking if you meant to type "A group of us taxpayers", because as the sentence stands it has no pronoun, and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was intended. That's what I came up with, because it seems the construction most likely to be questioned. If my guess is wrong, please let me know.
o, then yes
"...but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to..."
surfpinky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 AM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpinky
o, then yes
Okay, thanks.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #369
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All right, that's the second time someone's told me that since post 300. What have I done now?
Nothing, it's just that I didn't quite know how to answer your post, without looking dumb.

Mind you, I made looking dumb an artform, so I'm proud.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #370

Phunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond reputePhunkadelicious has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=2350

So we don't forget why this thread was started in the first place.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #371
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

for Brian!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #372
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all should put me in the title
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 AM   #373
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Brian! Thank you!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 AM   #374
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl
Y'all should put me in the title

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis lover
Brian! Thank you!
Your you're welcome.