"Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!) - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #121
country flag Pepper LaRue

Pepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The draws just suck... US Open Series thread.

Heading to NYC on Wednesday?! Sweet...I'll be there on Thursday. Woot!
Pepper LaRue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 AM   #122
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100
Robby lost in 3 sets today and unfortunately, choked the match away. He lead 4*-2 in the third set and couldn't hold the ball in play from that point on. He even topped this when he missed an easy smash on gp at 4*-5. This loss is as bad as the one against Gremmelmayr and I think he'll think about this one for a very long time.
as upsetting as his loss was to Murray, I honestly don't think he will dwell on it that much. And I will have to disagree that it's as bad as the loss against Gremelmayr... because in that match, Robby became frustrated with the increasingly windy court conditions on Margaret Court Arena as he was trying to close out the match in straight sets... He was becoming known as someone quite capable of winning 5-set matches, but there he was, losing to an unknown qualifier in five sets! Robby was hoping to have a good run at the AO to follow up his semifinal run at the US Open by going much further than the 2nd round (although he would have faced eventual finalist, Baghdatis, next)... He had never lost a five set match after winning the first two sets, until that match... I think that's part of what made that match such a hard pill for him to swallow.

In this match, Robby was playing the (well-known) #2 player in the US Open series standings in the 3rd round. Robby wasn't even the favorite to win the match. Robby had set point in the 1st set, and he thought he won the set 6-4, but Murray challenged the last point of that set, and it so happened that the challenge showed Murray's ball was in, so they replayed the point and Robby wasn't able to convert the break after that, and he ended up losing that set in a tie-break. Robby comes back to win the 2nd set convincingly. In the 3rd set, he grabs the first break, but in the game that Murray broke back in, Robby's first serves were not making it in, and although he reached game point, he just didn't get the next point. Murray stayed with it, and despite being exhausted after finishing the match, he was still running side to side and anticipating Robby's shots well, and he was playing good defense! It wasn't like Robby was consistently missing shots... He would make a good shot (and the commentators would be like, "oh that was a fantastic shot by Robby"), but then it would be followed by, "oh that was a horrible shot". Although he reached many game points in the 3rd set, Robby just wasn't consistently keeping his focus to win those points.

Robby may actually be relieved that the US Open is his next tournament... I dunno, but early loss or not, I think he's ready for the challenge!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #123

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper LaRue
Heading to NYC on Wednesday?! Sweet...I'll be there on Thursday. Woot!
think you can hit with a pro? the event's on friday... Robby will be there along with Andy Roddick and Nadal
http://www.tennis.com/microsites/200...lam/index.html
Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #124
country flag Pepper LaRue

Pepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
think you can hit with a pro? the event's on friday... Robby will be there along with Andy Roddick and Nadal
http://www.tennis.com/microsites/20...slam/index.html
Nice! If I didn't have a bum shoulder I'd totally go for it. My husband on the other hand is an amazing tennis player...I bet he could go toe to toe with these guys for at least a few strokes. LOL!
Pepper LaRue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #125
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Go 'head, bit the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

Anybody have thoughts about the draw... or are we trying to not jinx Robby this time?
rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:24 AM   #126
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Go 'head, bit the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

I think Benneteau has the potential to be very tough and I don't think Robby should look any further than that lol

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #127
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the Sun-Sentinel, he typically knows what he's talking about

"Robby Ginepri split with Francisco Montana of Miami, who coached him to the top 20 a year ago and helped him to a semifinal finish at the U.S. Open. Diego Ayala is coaching Ginepri. ..."

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #128
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

Deb, thanks for the rep. I must spread more love around before I can rep you back.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 AM   #129
country flag Deboogle!.

Default Re: "Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

Not necessary at all. We're all here for you

Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #130

YAY for Robby surviving the first round!! The audience erupted in applause and cheering when he won on his first match point! It seemed like an exciting match... At this point, Robby should have a minimum of 790 points, so this win should keep him inside the Top 50...

A few stats of the match:
Robby had 20 BPs!! only converted 6 times though...
Robby had a higher % of successful Net Approaches (27 of 41 = 66 %) than he did of First Serves (73 of 117 = 62 %)!
Robby had more winners than UEs, which is a positive sign, considering this hasn't always been the case for him this year...

Go Robby!!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #131
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly wasn't the prettiest win, but it still counts!

I was at the gym when USA cut away from Roddick's match to show the end of Robby's... I was on the treadmill and managed to keep from falling off as I celebrated.
rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #132
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Good win for Robby, Benneteau is really scrappy and a tough first round opponent!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #133
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Robby d. Goldstein 6-2 6-2 6-4

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #134
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on making it into the third round Robby! It looks as if he's finally getting his game back together and that's soooo nice to see. His next opponent will be Tommy Haas and I think they even played against each other in the third round last year. Tommy is playing much better this season and I think that this will be a very tough one which is likely to go the distance. Anyways, good luck Robby!

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #135

I'm VERY proud of Robby, not only for making the 3rd round, but for how he played to get there!! He played even better in the 2nd round... this time Robby made more than twice as many winners (51) as unforced errors, and his successful Net Approaches (20 of 27 = 74 %) was yet again higher than his First Serve % (53 of 79 = 67 %)... Robby did a bit better with the break point conversion... this time, he reached 16 BPs and converted 6 of them... So overall, pretty good!!

Robby can be seen on the US Open highlights video for Day 5... AND also he's featured again this year on Off Court Spotlight (with Taylor Dent)!

Why is Taylor Dent touching Robby Ginepri?? Found out by watching the video ...

Last edited by idolwatcher1 : 09-02-2006 at 05:34 PM.