"Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!) - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #151
country flag Veruka

Veruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolwatcher1
Hi Veruka, welcome to the Robby forum! I remember thinking that if Brad Gilbert were looking to coach someone it should be Robby... but then about that time, he decided to coach Andy Murray, who had already grabbed a title this year and was on his way up... I think he would have been a nice seasoned coach for Robby...
Thanks for the welcome idolwatcher! It's good to be here. I have to say, I've thought about the possibility of a Gilbert / Ginepri matchup too. Chalk me up as one who is bothered by the thought of Gilbert coaching a non-American.

That said, I really have to wonder exactly what led to the split between Gilbert and Roddick, and whether or not that would come in to play if he were to try to coach one of the other guys in that clique. Given the rivalry between Gilbert and Roddick, I think there's no question that split was more than a "it's time for us to move on" kind of thing. While both have pretty much avoided airing it out in public, you've got to figure that Roddick has been more vocal about his thoughts on Brad privately. Would those sentiments cancel out any of the confidence boosting measures that someone like Gilbert could have on Robby?

In my perfect dream world ... they say that Darren Cahill guy is available now. I think it's more likely that he'll give up coaching with Andre in retirement. But if he were to make the choice to stay involved with tennis, given the core similarities between Andre's game and Robby's game, I think Cahill could do GREAT things with Robby's game.
Veruka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #152
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Go 'head, bite the big Apple..." - Rolling Stones (Robby at the USOpen!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka
I have to say, I've thought about the possibility of a Gilbert / Ginepri matchup too. Chalk me up as one who is bothered by the thought of Gilbert coaching a non-American.
I see what you mean.... but I am one who thinks Brad was incredibly overrated with Andy. We are now seeing that some of the things that we know Brad put into Andy's game - standing far back on the 2nd serve return, implementing the slice BH a lot - are some of the very things that have caused him loads of problems over the past year. I don't think we'll ever know what happened between the two of them, I think it was many different things from money to personality, etc. I know there is a lot of sentiment from Andy's side that Brad wasn't constant enough for him - he really needs someone to push him hard and Brad wasn't there enough to do that (whether that is true, again, we have no way to know) - but we can plainly see that Andy did not start getting into really good physical condition until he fired Brad and hired Dean - someone who really got him going in the fitness department. I doubt that's all coincidental.

So, for those reasons and others, I have real reservations about Brad working with Robby. I think Brad's the right coach - for the right player. I think for a guy like Andre, he was great. Because Andre had the tools, and he had Gil Reyes, so Brad could come in and just polish. For a guy like Andy who really needed some of the fundamentals, Brad swooped in, gave him some quick fixes that helped over the short-term, but really proved to be a hindrance for him a couple years down the road.

I agree with you that a guy more like Darren Cahill might be good for him. Or even a guy like Goldfine or Annacone, real hard workers who are supportive and push their players hard. As we've seen recently, good coaching can come from the most surprising and unexpected places, so hopefully Robby finds someone who will work out well for him, even if it might seem to us as an odd choice at the outset. The indoor season is coming and Robby's game is suited well for that, so hopefully he can post some good results!!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #153
country flag Veruka

Veruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond reputeVeruka has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Gilbert -- I think the biggest problem with him as a coach is that he cannot handle not being in the spotlight. In many ways, I think he desires to overshadow the player he's coaching, rather than to support him. If you look at some of the very best coaches in tennis - they aren't just satisfied in the shadows, they desire to be there. You only heard about coaches like Tim Gullickson, Darren Cahill, and Brian Barker when the players working with them put the spotlight on them. They know they're job is to make a player look good - not to make themselves look good. With an individual sport like tennis, the ego of a player is undoubtedly going to come into play. And it's going to do nothing but damage that player if he feels he's competing with his own coach for accolades.

The most important thing that Robby needs? A coach that will not just recognize that his not defending his points at the Open this year will hurt his ranking, but will remind him repeatedly that his lack of points early in this season will make it that much easier for him to gain a lot of points early on next year!
Veruka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #154
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I agree. But I also think that even substantively, I think Brad is overrated in some ways

Hopefully Robby can find that right person and move forward

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #155
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka
Thanks for the welcome idolwatcher! It's good to be here. I have to say, I've thought about the possibility of a Gilbert / Ginepri matchup too. Chalk me up as one who is bothered by the thought of Gilbert coaching a non-American.

That said, I really have to wonder exactly what led to the split between Gilbert and Roddick, and whether or not that would come in to play if he were to try to coach one of the other guys in that clique. Given the rivalry between Gilbert and Roddick, I think there's no question that split was more than a "it's time for us to move on" kind of thing. While both have pretty much avoided airing it out in public, you've got to figure that Roddick has been more vocal about his thoughts on Brad privately. Would those sentiments cancel out any of the confidence boosting measures that someone like Gilbert could have on Robby?

In my perfect dream world ... they say that Darren Cahill guy is available now. I think it's more likely that he'll give up coaching with Andre in retirement. But if he were to make the choice to stay involved with tennis, given the core similarities between Andre's game and Robby's game, I think Cahill could do GREAT things with Robby's game.
The thought of Gilbert coaching Robby entered my head when I read the Tennis magazine article written by him called, "Learning from Robby Ginepri." I liked the attention he gave to Robby's game and his insight. BUT... after reading what you said, and thinking more about it, it probably IS best that Gilbert stay away from Robby.

First of all, in the Cincy match, Murray didn't challenge the line call when Robby thought he won the first set 6-4... that is, until he looked up at Gilbert and he was signalling him to challenge the call... Who's playing the match anyway?? Gilbert or Murray??? And to think that Robby could've dismissed Murray in straight sets (6-4,6-2) if Gilbert hadn't involved himself in the match...

Well, anyway, knowing the Gilbert/Roddick history, you're absolutely right... it would be awkward (for all) if he suddenly was Robby's coach. Robby may even know things about their history that we don't know, so it's possible that he wouldn't even consider having Gilbert coach him for a number of different reasons.

There is a better coach out there for Robby, but hopefully, Robby can do well in his upcoming tournaments whatever his situation may be! Let's go Robby!!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #156
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolwatcher1
Well, anyway, knowing the Gilbert/Roddick history, you're absolutely right... it would be awkward (for all) if he suddenly was Robby's coach. Robby may even know things about their history that we don't know, so it's possible that he wouldn't even consider having Gilbert coach him for a number of different reasons.
I honestly don't think that'd be relevant at all. If Robby felt that Brad was the right coach for him and everything else worked out (money, scheduling, money, money, money.... Brad), i think the deal would be done. I don't think the fact that Andy and Brad parted on less than happy terms would be relevant at all

Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #157
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

if Robby heard bad things about Brad FROM Andy, and Robby agreed that those things weren't cool, then he probably wouldn't even consider having Brad as one of his coaches... that's basically what I was getting at...
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #158
country flag Deboogle!.

ah i see. well, maybe.

I think Robby can do an awful lot better than Brad anyway