What is your most embarrassing loss in a tennis match ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
country flag Hawkman

Hawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is your most embarrassing loss in a tennis match ?

A decade ago I was playing in a tournament at The Barnes Tennis Center (San Diego). I was NTRP 4.0 at the time.

I was set to play this little guy named Jesse. I know his name was Jesse, because when we were warming up, he was attacking me as if we were playing a match and when he hit an error, he'd yell 'Come on Jesse!' to himself.

Now, as were doing the normal warm-up routine, ya know, start at net, move back, lobs, etc etc ... instead of doing this normal routine everyone else seems to know, he starts playing each one like its a real point. I'd hit him the ball, he'd hit it hard and rush the net, I hit it back to him and he'd put it away. I knew I was in for an interesting match.

The match starts, and every single shot the dude hits is this exaggerated moon ball lob dink. Not in a topspin way, but like the old ladies hit with those gigantic racquets.

Predictably, I got so mad and impatient, I start trying to force it and hit winners.

I lost in 2 sets; miserably. I was so pissed off and it was my first lesson in playing this type of player; the dinker. I should have won and probably would have won if we played 5 minutes later but hit myself into unforced error hell.

Needless to say, I was totally embarrassed. Meanwhile, my brother advances to the final and wins in the same 4.0 bracket on the other side of the draw,

What's your's ?

Jimmy Connors: People don't seem to understand that it's a damn war out there

Vince Spadea: "The Argentineans practice on the court for two hours a day, then they must practice in front of a mirror for two more hours saying 'I'm not guilty.'
Hawkman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your most embarrassing loss in a tennis match ?

My most embarrassing loss was in a high school match, I was up 6-2 5-3 and serving for the match, I hit four DFs to lose the game and lost the match 6-2 5-7 4-6. I wanted to cry in a hole and die afterwards.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
country flag megadeth

megadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond repute

i tossed my racket down the ground after a 7-6,6-7,6-7 loss which bounced up and hit me in the face... i had a fat lip during trophy presentation time
megadeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...I've had plenty of embarrassing loses when I was a youngster, but who doesn't.

More interesting is my defeat in last summers club tournament, where I usually make the semifinals. In my defense it has to be said that I had just become a father and had probably only played 3 times before the tournament started. Still it was a bad loss.

It was against a player I had beaten in the same tournament 6-2, 6-1 the year before. I'm not the most aggressive of players, but very rarely makes unforced errors and hit with plenty of spin - he's just not the kind of player who can deal with that.

Anyway, I was totally off for the first set, which I somehow managed to lose 2-6. Still I was totally confident that I'd win the match. Even at 1-5 down in the second set, I was still confident I'd win, because he only won due to my unusual errors.

So I tightened up my game and decided to eliminate my errors. I succeded and turned the second set around to gain a 6-5 lead. I missed my chances in the next game, but won the tiebreaker confidently.

Obviously I was gonna win now, right? Nope. I returned to making a ton of errors and almost handed him a 4-1 lead in the second set. Yet again I pulled myslef together, turned the set around and got myself into a 6-5 where I could serve out the match.

From here on it gets ugly. Up until that point I had proven, that anytime I pulled myself together I'd win - he just wasn't as stable from the back of the court as I was.

At this point the match had been going for 3 hours in soaring heat and frankly, I had absolutely NOTHING left in the tank.

Still, I don't quite think it explains how I was able to lose 11 points in a row to a player who's not half as good as me, in the deciding phase of a marathon-match. From 6-5 up serving for the match, I got broken to love and then lost the deciding breaker 7-0.

Fortunately the mixed doubles I was to play later in the day got rescheduled.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Club tournament, ages ago, lost a point and was so pissed off i flung my racket to the fence but it went over to the other side amongst the bushes and trees. We were playing at the far end of the courts but everyone saw what was going on as the clubhouse was from an elevated point of view. I had to walk out of the court to get to the other side of the fence, searched around where i thought it landed, i could hear the guffaws and laughter from the clubhouse, turned out my racket was stuck up on a big branch and they all saw it, i didn't. My opponent helped me retrieve it by tossing her racket upwards to the target until it fell.

needless to say. i won that one, 6-0, 5-7, 6-2. but i wanted to disappear instead of walk back to the clubhouse after that.

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
country flag BelgianWaffle

BelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. B
Club tournament, ages ago, lost a point and was so pissed off i flung my racket to the fence but it went over to the other side amongst the bushes and trees. We were playing at the far end of the courts but everyone saw what was going on as the clubhouse was from an elevated point of view. I had to walk out of the court to get to the other side of the fence, searched around where i thought it landed, i could hear the guffaws and laughter from the clubhouse, turned out my racket was stuck up on a big branch and they all saw it, i didn't. My opponent helped me retrieve it by tossing her racket upwards to the target until it fell.

needless to say. i won that one, 6-0, 5-7, 6-2. but i wanted to disappear instead of walk back to the clubhouse after that.

I'm sorry but that was just hilarious.
BelgianWaffle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianWaffle

I'm sorry but that was just hilarious.
i know it was not a loss, but embarassing, nevertheless, and i thought i'd share it here.

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

I got skunked 6-0 6-0 once by a guy that, I maybe couldn't beat but should have been decently competitive with. Granted I was trying to come back to soon from a shoulder injury and I could barely put a serve in, but still, I should have been able to get a game.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
country flag Hawkman

Hawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond reputeHawkman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. B

Awesome.

Vince Spadea: "The Argentineans practice on the court for two hours a day, then they must practice in front of a mirror for two more hours saying 'I'm not guilty.'
Old 07-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
country flag zicofirol

zicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond repute

Mine will take the cake, it was this year playing in a 4.5 tourney, I was playing this fat idiot who should be playing 3.5 and even there I doubt he would win. Anyway I have a tendency to choke especially if im playing lesser opponents. That day my hsoulder was also bothering me so I really couldnt serve I was hitting like a weak 2nd serve just spinning it in.

But before this match this guy coul barely get it back in the warmup I was as calm as could be I thought I would win easily and I should of.

Match starts and I just start hitting his weak serves out, I was going for winner on everyshot but rightfullyso because his erved sucked anyway I quikly lose the 1st game no worries but after I start my service game double faulting and hitting balls out I get somewhat frustrated they guy then steals the game with aball that was like 2 ft. in, my brother and a friend where there and they couldnt believe it, the bad call. I was so pissed that I was playing bad that I didnt give a shit because he could of stolen 2 calls a game and I still hsould of won, anyway after the worst first set in my life I lost like 6-1 or 2 with like 10+ calls he stole. Lol everytime I would look at my brother he would be like but he was not confirming the call so I though he was just mad at how I was playing but no he said he wanted to crack the fat retards skull in half.

Anyway I recover the second set and im up 5-1, 40-0 still playing horrible and then proceded to do the biggest choke job I have ever witnessed lol, it was bad I lost 7-6 in a tiebreak, what made this horrible was that this guy literally was top 3 worst players I have ever played, anyway I got mad threw my raquet over the fence cursed in spanish and then told the guy he was a "fat fucking cheater but it didnt matter because I still should of beaten him 0 and 0." The guy was horrible just atrocious its unbelievable that I lost.

What that match showed me is that some people will just do anything to win the guy was so concerned with ranking points lol, he kept talking about it before our match anyway ive never seen anyone steal that many calls in a game, during the game I was so mad at how I was playing that I didnt care, but I did afterwards, haha.
zicofirol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:28 AM   #11
country flag Patrick_Steele

Patrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond reputePatrick_Steele has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am fairly new to tennis (although the term 'newbie' does not apply since I read and read and read up on tennis prior to picking up a racquet so I am rather knowledged...if knowledged is a word ) but the first time I played tennis, I played against my older brother (who vaguely knew the rules, and nothing else) I got destroyed 6-1 although he was in much better shape than me and I didn't enforce many of the rules (basically I followed them and he didn't).
Patrick_Steele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
country flag SwissMister1

SwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hawkman - I always seem to fall into the same type of problems against the dinker types. I was playing a match pretty recently and wound up doing the same thing and forcing the issue way too much, hitting tons of errors and losing. Nothing more annoying than that.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

PAW #1 5/22/06
Predict-the-SCORE US Open Champion
SwissMister1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:55 AM   #13
country flag Hawkman

I have thankfully matured since then and can dispatch the dinkers the majority of the time with letting the winner 'come to me'; although I occasionally run into the HUMAN BACKBOARDS and still get pissed off at these 'Never go for a winner and probably never will' player's.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
country flag zicofirol

zicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman
I have thankfully matured since then and can dispatch the dinkers the majority of the time with letting the winner 'come to me'; although I occasionally run into the HUMAN BACKBOARDS and still get pissed off at these 'Never go for a winner and probably never will' player's.
I can beat human dinkers on a good day but usually I start by being up 3-0 3-1 and then I start pressing the issue and end up losing.
zicofirol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #15
country flag NaDALiTa

NaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so shameful telling it, it was against a "grannie" (compared to me i'm 19) she had 55 years and she played so slowly with this effect i can't qualifie (between slice and chop) that i couldn't avoid hitting the ball hard so that i've made a ton of unforced errors !! It was awfull i lost in 3 sets i was so furious during the match i looked like Marat safin !!!
A weaker player is always harder to play

"It doesn't matter if you don't look as cool as the Ramones — you're never going to, anyway."Chris Martin.

+The White Stripes+The Strokes+The Libertines+

+MARAT SAFIN+rameez junaid+andy murray +vince spadea +diego hartfield +pti pote gustavo+willy cańas +Simone Bolelli+Jérémy ChardyOTHER ADDICTIONS:Liverpool F.C+Atletico Madrid+Arsenal F.C+Olympique Lyonnais+La Roja+
NaDALiTa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote