*****"It's ROGER(')S Cup!! literally and figuratively" TORONTO 06 Thread***** - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
country flag robinhood

robinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond repute
Default *****"It's ROGER(')S Cup!! literally and figuratively" TORONTO 06 Thread*****

As much as I've enjoyed Fed-Nadal duels this year and respect both players trenmendously and am almost in love with one of them, I would love to see someone else raise his game and get in the mix in the US.

I guess Fed is only playing two MS tourneys before the USO, so he will have only three chances to get to the final in the summer, so wouldn't it be great if we could have some other match-ups?

Not that I want Nadal to fail or expect him to or that I think the places in the finals are guaranteed for Fed, but at this point in the season, after all these consecutive finals with both players on big occasions, I am getting a bit tired of it.

This rivalry is great, but somebody else has GOT TO step up!!!
Apparently Roddick is itching to get back on court, so perhaps can we expect him to challenge the two?
How about other usual suspects like Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, and Ljubicic?

Of course at the end of the day, what I want the most is for Fed to win.
But apart from the top two, the rest of the field has really drifted away, and if Toronto, Cincy, and USO all turn out to be so predictable.....

HERE'S HOPING FOR A GREAT, THRILLING, EXHILIRATING, AND FANTASTIC US HARD COURT SEASON!
CHEERS!!!

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WS CHAMPS 2010 & 2012

GIANTS SHARKS NINERS WARRIORS A'S RAIDERS

Last edited by robinhood : 08-03-2006 at 06:54 PM.
robinhood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 06 US Hard Court Season Thread "Can We PLEASE Have Someone Else in the Mix!!"

I think you'll get your wish. A lot more players feel competitive on hard courts than on either clay or grass. As much as I personally enjoy the Fed-Nadal rivalry, I do think other players will make their mark.

Surely Safin has got to start playing decent tennis again at some point, but possibly not until the indoor season. Blake could produce strong results. As could Nalbandian, Baghdatis, Hewitt and many more.

Anything can happen on hard court, really.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
country flag makro120

makro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 06 US Hard Court Season Thread "Can We PLEASE Have Someone Else in the Mix!!"

I want to see Nalbandian facing Nadal on semifinal in the USOPEN and facing Federer in the final. But I would also love Federer and NAdal to face each other in the final playing for the nr1 spot this year.
Nadal winner: RG 07 Monfils winner: USopen 10
Guga winner: RG 2010
Roddick and Hewitt together winner of: 3 sidney, 4 Adelaide, 3 washington, 3 san jose, 3 indianapolis, 2 houston, 2 memphis, 5 queens and one master series title (where Safin, Agassi, Federer and Nadal happens to all be injured).
makro120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by makro120
I want to see Nalbandian facing Nadal on semifinal in the USOPEN and facing Federer in the final. But I would also love Federer and NAdal to face each other in the final playing for the nr1 spot this year.
If Fed and Nadal faced each other in the US final, they woudn't be playing for the no.1. spot of the year - Nadal has got a lot more catching up to do than "just" gaining 300 points on Roger in the US open final.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
country flag Longshot

Longshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond reputeLongshot has a reputation beyond repute

At IW and Miami this year there were lots of players in the mix. I'm looking forward to seeing Blake back on hardcourt.
Longshot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan
If Fed and Nadal faced each other in the US final, they woudn't be playing for the no.1. spot of the year - Nadal has got a lot more catching up to do than "just" gaining 300 points on Roger in the US open final.
Nadal would actually gain 625 points by just getting to the finals.

I really think Novak Djokovic is poised to make some noise during this summer. I also see at least one tournament where Safin makes a resurgence.
Hopefully we will get to see Nadal match up with Nalbandian, Safin, Roddick, and others.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood
As much as I've enjoyed Fed-Nadal duels this year and respect both players trenmendously and am almost in love with one of them, I would love to see someone else raise his game and get in the mix in the US.
I hope some other players step it up to beat Nadal.....but that is a question of the draw and which other players show up. There are a lot of players who could beat him on hc but if they are all on Roger's half of the draw it presents a skewed picture of the results.

If you are a Roger fan.....why would you be hoping Roger isn't in the mix? I certainly hope Roger wins the USOpen more than any other player. Of course I'd like to see a different opponent for Roger.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan

I really think Novak Djokovic is poised to make some noise during this summer. I also see at least one tournament where Safin makes a resurgence.
Hopefully we will get to see Nadal match up with Nalbandian, Safin, Roddick, and others.
I think Safin will make a noise in the indoor season like he usually does. He loves playing the start and end of the tennis year.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #9
country flag robinhood

robinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV
I hope some other players step it up to beat Nadal.....but that is a question of the draw and which other players show up. There are a lot of players who could beat him on hc but if they are all on Roger's half of the draw it presents a skewed picture of the results.

If you are a Roger fan.....why would you be hoping Roger isn't in the mix? I certainly hope Roger wins the USOpen more than any other player. Of course I'd like to see a different opponent for Roger.
Of course I want Fed in the mix ALL THE TIME.
I want him to dominate and win everything.
But I just want some super competitive matches up to the final on both halves of the draw so that entire tournament will not be about just two players.

Perhaps I am contradicting myself here, but that's how I feel.

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WS CHAMPS 2010 & 2012

GIANTS SHARKS NINERS WARRIORS A'S RAIDERS
robinhood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #10
country flag LCeh

LCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, for me, Nadal has beaten Roger so many times that, I wouldn't mind if Roger gets a few more wins off of him, especially in the bigger occasions.
LCeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

I want Roger to win them all, but I really want Safin to step it up

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #12
country flag BlueSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
I was talking about points for the year 2006, where Federer is well ahead of Nadal. In that score, a finals win over Federer in the US open would only make Nadal gain 300 points on Fed.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #13
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I think many guys can beat Nadal in hard court.
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood
Of course I want Fed in the mix ALL THE TIME.
I want him to dominate and win everything.
But I just want some super competitive matches up to the final on both halves of the draw so that entire tournament will not be about just two players.

Perhaps I am contradicting myself here, but that's how I feel.
I think Roger has already had super competative matches with Nadal.....if what you want is tension and high profile matches with both really fighting hard. I don't mind that if Roger wins. But I would prefer seeing him in a final against someone else for a change. I like the type of match that has both opponents playing high level where Roger gets to show his best shots and wins with flair. We agree that we want Roger to dominate everything!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Right now the situation is:

Federer
Nadal

Nalbandian

Ljubo

Baghdatis (could do some damage on asphalt)

Blake (esp. on HC)

As much as I'd like to see some new faces in the finals, the older ones (Roddick, Nalbandian, Ljubo, Safin etc.) have been around long enough not to expect them to do anything unexpected, I guess the only hope is someone new, and Djokovic is not quite there yet.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote