Commentary at its finest - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #31
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commentary at its best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton
"Look how the ball accelerates AFTER the racket contact". Well, that would be a violation of basic physics laws from highschool, unless they are using "smart balls" with embedded microengines to accelerate after contact.
lmao

that's classic
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #32
country flag Sandra

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday during Sharapova's match:
'She's the most elegant girl here. She is wearing a dress. A white one'

Last year during the MC, Federer beat Gaudio 60 60, and in the second set our commentator said: ' poor Federer he doesn't know what to do to help Gaudio win his serve'.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #33
country flag The Pro

The Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond repute

Peter Fleming pulled a funny yesterday too. During the Nadal / Kendrick match a lineslady had to run for cover to avoid a ball swiped by one ofthe players after a point.

The camera shows the rather portly lady chuckling and Fleming says "Probably glad for the exercise." It was funnier cos Bailey was ROFLing in the background.
The Pro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #34
country flag gvhvhg

gvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond reputegvhvhg has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Virginia Wade commentating on Dementieva-Mirza

"And Mirza continues to play like somebody who's double parked outside Wimbledon!"
gvhvhg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #35
country flag federated

federated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer
HELLLLLLLLLLLL - O!!!!
pattymac is so incredibly irritating. can you imagine having johnny mac and pmac as your kids? I'd have gotten in the car one night and just kept driving.

Federer is not from our planet. He is beyond anything you could even dream about. -Nick Bollettieri

FEDERER*NADAL*LOPEZ*GASQUET*SODERLING*NALBANDIAN
federated is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #36
country flag federated

federated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond reputefederated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
Yea basically but, they all do at ESPN. Mary Joe is the worst, why don't they ever get Martina to commentate? I loved it when she did it.

oooh, I'd love to hear martina and carillo team up.

Federer is not from our planet. He is beyond anything you could even dream about. -Nick Bollettieri

FEDERER*NADAL*LOPEZ*GASQUET*SODERLING*NALBANDIAN
federated is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #37
country flag fedpras

fedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond reputefedpras has a reputation beyond repute

Brad Gilbert on men's shorts in 1975: "Those were some bun-huggers!"
Robredo Nadal Gonzalez Ancic
fedpras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #38
country flag brent-o

brent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the Serena Williams-Sharapova Australian Open Semifinal from 2005 and Mary Carillo and Dick Enberg were commentating. Mary was going on and on about how great Sharapova is. I don't remember the exact sentence but she said something to the effect of "And the scary thing is this girl does everything great. She has a solid backhand, her forehand is a thing of beauty (sorry, had to stop to spit up my tea there but alas, it gets worse). Not to mention she's solid at the net and moves exceptionally well for a girl of her size. She's the real deal" MY GOD! CARILLO WAS ON SOMETHING THAT DAY! I'll agree Sharapova is good but her awkward hook forehand (while effective) is not beautiful and well her volleys, we shall not venture there. I just had to chuckle. Dick was noticeabley quiet and eventually Mary said something like "Am I right?" and Dick, trying to sidestep the question, was like "She'll be a factor on the tour for a time to come" haha nice save Enberg.
brent-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #39
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent-o
I was watching the Serena Williams-Sharapova Australian Open Semifinal from 2005 and Mary Carillo and Dick Enberg were commentating. Mary was going on and on about how great Sharapova is. I don't remember the exact sentence but she said something to the effect of "And the scary thing is this girl does everything great. She has a solid backhand, her forehand is a thing of beauty (sorry, had to stop to spit up my tea there but alas, it gets worse). Not to mention she's solid at the net and moves exceptionally well for a girl of her size. She's the real deal" MY GOD! CARILLO WAS ON SOMETHING THAT DAY! I'll agree Sharapova is good but her awkward hook forehand (while effective) is not beautiful and well her volleys, we shall not venture there. I just had to chuckle. Dick was noticeabley quiet and eventually Mary said something like "Am I right?" and Dick, trying to sidestep the question, was like "She'll be a factor on the tour for a time to come" haha nice save Enberg.
the opponent of anyone called Williams is the best thing since sliced bread, when carillo commentates
If it wasn't for the way her biases get exposed in her speech, she would be my favourite commentator, because she is funny and witty too
R.Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:08 AM   #40
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

They were showing the Estoril tournament here, Nalbandian was playing against Davydenko in the final. At one point during the match, the commentator says, "Nalbandian's coach is Francisco Mastelli." The match ends, Nalbandian is celebrating and then he goes to the standings to give his manager Carlos Costa a hug, and the commentator drops the bomb: "Nalbandian hugs his coach Francisco Mastelli."

Nalbandian had splitted with Mastelli almost two months ago then.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #41
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

This was during last year's US Open. The presenter was announcing the current scores, amongst them was the Haas' match, which was in the first few games of the first set. A couple of minutes later, the same presenter is saying that a doubles match between Moodie/Huss and Burgsmuller/Youzhny is about to start. The commentator almost falls off his chair: "But how the hell is he playing doubles now???". The presenter: "Who?". The commentator: "Tommy Haas!!!".
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #42
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton
"Look how the ball accelerates AFTER the racket contact". Well, that would be a violation of basic physics laws from highschool, unless they are using "smart balls" with embedded microengines to accelerate after contact.
Well, it does accelerate downward, due to gravity. Hardly comment-worthy, though.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:26 AM   #43
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that
During the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai 2005, Fred Stolle was also in red hot form:

"Croatia has a very strong group of players at the moment, with Ljubicic and Ancic representing Croatia against Slovakia in the Davis Cup final next week. And of course there is also the up and coming Tomas Berdych, who took out the Paris Indoors a few weeks ago, who could consider himself very unlucky not to be included in the squad."
Seriously??
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #44
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
I can't remember which Aussie commentator it was, I'd have to listen to the tape again.

On Martin Verkerk during his RG run : "This guy is huge and he could do a lot of damage on the grass at Wimbledon". At the time he never won a match on grass and absolutely hates the surface.
I remember hearing something like that but the commentator (don't know if it's the same one) said this just based on the fact that Verkerk has such a huge serve and even added that he hadn't played much on grass.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #45
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
Well, it does accelerate downward, due to gravity. Hardly comment-worthy, though.
Imagine a comment like "look how the force of gravity makes the ball fall back on the court". They would be providing education on elementary physics, on top of their tennis expertise.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote