Commentary at its finest - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #271
country flag danton

danton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commentary at its best

Cowan does the serbanator thing as well - don't like it. Prefer Marcus to Bailey who I thought mumbled - he was ok nothing personal but mumbled.

Leif kept on saying jokeavich but I thought it was pronounced djockavich????

Cowan commentates as if he is the worlds authority and final word on tennis - unfortunately scraping into the worlds top 200 doesn't bring with it a lot of credibility so I find it hard to take him seriously
danton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #272
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Bails used to pronounce it "Jorkovic" for some unknown reason, leading to quite a few British posters on here spelling it "Djorkovic" and getting mocked by the Serbs.

You could just sense Bazza's delight early in the match that the aggressive game was winning, defensive players succeeding seems to contradict his world view on tennis. I like him, but I stopped trusting in him as an unbiased commentator after last year's pre-match prediction for the Monte Carlo final that Federer was going to play a sublime match and sweep Nadal off the court in straight sets.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #273
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danton View Post
Cowan does the serbanator thing as well - don't like it. Prefer Marcus to Bailey who I thought mumbled - he was ok nothing personal but mumbled.

Leif kept on saying jokeavich but I thought it was pronounced djockavich????

Cowan commentates as if he is the worlds authority and final word on tennis - unfortunately scraping into the worlds top 200 doesn't bring with it a lot of credibility so I find it hard to take him seriously
I wish a Serb speaker would tell us if it is joke or jock. I've been wondering about this for awhile. Everyone seems to be saying joke... but with dokic it was dah kich... so... Maybe the dj sound before the o makes a difference? or is everyone saying it wrong?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #274
country flag stroszek

stroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond reputestroszek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Eurosport didn't cover Miami in any country check my post again - I said it was Marcus on SKY sports
Oh yeah, it was Sky, not Eurosport. It's true that he's an bad presenter, his pisspoor puns make me cringe sometimes, especially when he does the same one several times.
stroszek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #275
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I wish a Serb speaker would tell us if it is joke or jock. I've been wondering about this for awhile. Everyone seems to be saying joke... but with dokic it was dah kich... so... Maybe the dj sound before the o makes a difference? or is everyone saying it wrong?

Its joke o vich
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #276
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.... Are you Serbian or are you Croatian? Not that it is important, but just wondering.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #277
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Pioline: "Andreev is more creative than Kafelnikov in this match"

He thinks Kolya is the PMK too
Old 04-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #278
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

During the Cañas and Djokovic match at the end after a long rally where Cañas misses a volley.

Koening: "Even though, he missed the shot, it was a well thought out point and good for him for trying.

Goodall: "Yes, sure that's going to make him feel better about himself, after missing the shot".

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #279
country flag FerrersLinda

FerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
During the Cañas and Djokovic match at the end after a long rally where Cañas misses a volley.

Koening: "Even though, he missed the shot, it was a well thought out point and good for him for trying.

Goodall: "Yes, sure that's going to make him feel better about himself, after missing the shot".
Koening He annoys the crap out of me, bring back the JB.
FerrersLinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #280
country flag danton

danton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond repute

During the Spain/USA tie Blake v Robredo.

When the camera focused on Donald Young Barry Cowan said in a condescending, superior tone 'I don't think he should be on the USA bench, He hasn't earned it, all those wild cards what has he achieved with them?'

A bit of perspective for those not in the know. Bazza's claim to fame is British No 3, World high ranking of 162, got 7 wildcards to Wimbledon and won two matches. Got WC's for Queens and Nottingham where he also won a total of two matches. Yet we let him play 1 match against Ecuador for Davis cup where he lost to Louis Morejon (I had to look him up too) High rank of 122 earned 250k during career.

I think Cowan needs a bit of perspective - the tone and manner which he said it in was nasty regardless of whether you think Young should be there or not.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #281
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

in the roddick/verdasco match the commentators spent most of the time saying verdasco was an idiot and would never fulfil his potential
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #282
country flag danton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
in the roddick/verdasco match the commentators spent most of the time saying verdasco was an idiot and would never fulfil his potential
That reminds me of some comments on this site. There's currently a thread about who is the biggest underachiever and the thread starter nominated Verdasco.

What I don't get is Ferrer is there, he's not injured why on earth did they think Verdasco could beat Roddick. D'oh
Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #283
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That reminds me of some comments on this site. There's currently a thread about who is the biggest underachiever and the thread starter nominated Verdasco.

What I don't get is Ferrer is there, he's not injured why on earth did they think Verdasco could beat Roddick. D'oh
well, ferrer is steady rather than spectacular and probably wouldnt have challenged roddick, so i guess they figured that if verdasco plays how they know it is possible for him to play, he could have pulled it off
Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #284
country flag danton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
well, ferrer is steady rather than spectacular and probably wouldnt have challenged roddick, so i guess they figured that if verdasco plays how they know it is possible for him to play, he could have pulled it off
But Ferrer has beaten Roddick before
Old 04-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #285
country flag jazar

Quote:
But Ferrer has beaten Roddick before
so has verdasco