Commentary at its finest - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #241
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commentary at its best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb!. View Post
Leif Shiras, after Berdych hit a lovely backhand return winner

"He's got plenty of skills to pay the bills"

The two standard Shiras quotes are "The first knock-down of the day!" when anyone slips over on the court, and "A little hand-to-hand combat up at the net" whenever there's a rare volleying duel.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #242
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

There's a guy on eurosport, dont know his name, sounds kind of old and has a little twang of australian in him seemingly and every match wawrinka plays, he talks about his skin which is sort of hard to listen to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #243
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster View Post
The two standard Shiras quotes are "The first knock-down of the day!" when anyone slips over on the court, and "A little hand-to-hand combat up at the net" whenever there's a rare volleying duel.
hahaha

i don't mind Leif Shiras that much, but he was commentating all weekend with Barry Mackay, and I think he is the worst commentator of them all. What bugs me most about him is that every time a player hits a good shot, he'll say "That was Player X's best backhand of the day!" and it might be the first point of the match

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #244
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Did Roddick suddenly grow two inches? Barry Mackay keeps saying he's 6'4. I thought he was 6'1 or 6'2 at the most.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #245
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Ken Thomas, calling the action on the live feed from San Jose all week

Annoying. Continually calling Safin "The Daddy Mack". Honestly I was almost glad he lost in the end.

I'm tired of (and slightly surprised by) him continually saying "The best tennis players in the world are here in San Jose" I realise he's bigging it up, but come on.

He also keeps calling it Wimbleton.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #246
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Leif Shiras and Barry Mackay were just simply ridiculous tonight during the Roddick/Spadea match.

First off was them calling Spadea "baby Agassi" and talking about his sense of "style" with positive connotations.

At one point they said that "Spadea hung on to his serve and Roddick is trying to hang onto his sanity" which was pretty amusing since it was even before Andy went haywire

They said so many things I can't even remember them all to share with all of you

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #247
country flag General Suburbia

General Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They said so many things I can't even remember them all to share with all of you
Started getting annoying when every winner off Spadea's forehand was suddenly "his best forehand of the match." Must've said that at least 6 times.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #248
country flag Kalliopeia

Kalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond reputeKalliopeia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobsuk View Post
Continually calling Safin "The Daddy Mack".
What? Oh my God. That's wrong.

Quote:
First off was them calling Spadea "baby Agassi"
....and the wrongness reaches previously unheard of levels on the very next post. I mean, Spadea? Baby Agassi? I'd laugh if I wasn't so .

Guillermo Cañas | Marat Safin | Carlos Moya | Fernando Verdasco

David Ferrer | Marcos Baghdatis | Juan Monaco | Fernando Gonzalez
Kalliopeia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #249
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Suburbia View Post
Started getting annoying when every winner off Spadea's forehand was suddenly "his best forehand of the match." Must've said that at least 6 times.
That's Barry Mackay's *thing* - everything is the "Best of the match so far" even if it's only the 2nd point

That man should not be allowed to commentate, IMO. He is just almost incompetent and for me 10x worse than any other commentator out there.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #250
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliopeia View Post
....and the wrongness reaches previously unheard of levels on the very next post. I mean, Spadea? Baby Agassi? I'd laugh if I wasn't so .
ok I was going through the match on my DVR again to get rid of the commercials and such, and I heard it again. This is exactly what Leif Shiras said: "....for many years sort of known as a 'baby Agassi' - that kind of skill"

Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #251
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

During the Blake-Benneteau match one of the commentators on Star Sports was describing how fit, athletic etc... Benneteau is, when the other guy said:

- You have been checking him out in the locker room.
- Oh please!

Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #252
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'torian View Post
You know when they say, "Oh please!" they doth protest too much!
Yes, I was surprised he didn't laugh or say anything else after that. They just continued as if nothing had happened.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #253
country flag aramis

aramis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond repute

Some British commentator during the Ferrero match yesterday (masters series TV):
"Coria used to be unbeatable, himself, on clay. Now he can't beat his grandpa."
aramis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #254
country flag Loftra

Loftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond reputeLoftra has a reputation beyond repute

Simon vs Santoro in Dubai this year on Eurosport 2. There was some kind of buzzing noise all the time at the start of the match.

Commentator A: Meanwhile we keep on hearing the sound of a grasshopper...
Commentator B: Well, that must be a big grasshopper!
Loftra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #255
country flag Metis

On Star sports during the Ferrer-Djokovic match, about Djokovic:

"He's very flexible too. I've seen him do his stretching routines, he's like a gymnast."