Fat John and Invisible Lawrence (Andy's Brothers Thread) - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #91
country flag meenyminymo

meenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond reputemeenyminymo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat John and Invisible Lawrence (Andy's Brothers Thread)

welllll, look on the bright side, at least he's still doing well... sort of... and he's pretty healthy... kind of.... and he's almost winning things... and he's got a few more years... maybe....

meenyminymo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #92
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

luckily i tape everything, for future use.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #93
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Colette Lewis of Zoo Tennis interviewed John Roddick recently. John is relaunching his Academy and it's now called Roddick Total Tennis.

This is old news but we never posted it, so:
Quote:
Junior Winner's Roddick Connection

PARIS -- We couldn't win a round here in men's tennis, but we're doing a great job of training another country's winner.

The French Open junior boys champion, Uladzimir Ignatik of Belarus, was crowned Sunday and there was not only rejoicing by his family in Minsk, but no doubt at the John Roddick Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas as well, where this 16-year-old has been training since he was 14.

About the only person he hadn't called within a half hour of taking down Australia's Greg Jones in the final was John, who is with Andy and Jimmy Connors at Queens Club in London, getting ready for Monday's start of the grass-court run-up to Wimbledon.

Why haven't you called John and Andy? I asked. Vlad smiled. It's his little payback for the joke the Roddicks played on him two years ago. "I'll tell them when I see them tomorrow." He's playing a 16-player junior invitational at Queens, beginning Wednesday.

Payback? Roddick's management agency, SFX, discovered Ignatik when he went out in the semifinals of an under-14 tournament in France at age 13, and they signed him and sent him initially to a small academy in California.

"I didn't like it there," Vlad said. "There weren't enough good players and the coaches were a little strange." OK, we won't explore that further. Just get on with the story.

"So, now I am 14 and playing junior tournaments in Europe and they call again and say they have a bigger academy they're sure I will like. But they don't tell me the name."

They flew him to San Antonio, picked him up at the airport and drove him to the academy. When he saw the name "Roddick" on the sign at the entrance, his face lit up.

"I think they wanted to give me a little surprise," he said. Maybe he would have won the French Open juniors had he worked the last two years at another academy. Who knows? The only thing you know for sure is that his game has grown, and especially his serve, working at Roddick's and occasionally practicing with Andy.

One of these tournaments they're going to get his name straight. The French Federation listed him as Vladimir Ignatic, but that's a Russian translation of his Belarussian name, which is Uladzimir Ignatik. Whatever. Friends just call him Vlad.

Or, they can now call him Champ.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #94
country flag dibs

dibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond repute

Vlad also won the Queens junior invitation tournament.
dibs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #95
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061902970.html

Roddick's brother hired as Oklahoma tennis coach
Friday, June 19, 2009

NORMAN, Okla. -- John Roddick has been hired as the men's tennis coach at Oklahoma.

The brother of former U.S. Open winner Andy Roddick was hired Friday to take over the Sooners team guided by John Lockwood for the past 22 years.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione says Roddick has the ability to recruit top players and a reputation for being able to develop them. Since 2002, he has been operating a performance boarding academy for tennis players in Austin, Texas.

He has also helped coach his brother Andy, formerly the world's No. 1 player and still ranked in the top 10.

The Sooners (12-10, 1-5 Big 12) ended their season with a loss in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.

- - - - - - - - -

Here's a longer article with better quotes:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...061909aaa.html

Roddick Named Men's Tennis Coach
OU lands one of nation's top developmental coaches.

June 19, 2009

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Programs and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione announced today the hiring of John Roddick as OU's new head men's tennis coach.

"It is rare to find someone with a background as impressive and varied as the one that John brings to Oklahoma," Castiglione said. "He has been a fixture in the national junior program, has experience in two successful Division I programs, has coached the game at the highest level in the world and was an accomplished player in his own right.

"We are impressed that John not only has the ability to recruit good players to our program, but also a reputation for player development. It takes both of those qualities to build a strong program and we believe in John's ability to build a high caliber program at OU."

Roddick is a former professional tennis player and coach. Most recently he was director of Roddick Total Tennis, a high-performance boarding academy in San Antonio and Austin, Texas, which he operated from 2002-09.

Also during that time, from 2006-08, he coached his brother, Andy, a former No. 1-ranked player in the world, on the ATP Tour. In 2006 and again in 2008, John was the Team Captain for the United States' World Team Cup squad.

"There are a lot of positives at Oklahoma and I am excited about this opportunity," Roddick said. "Winning is the culture there and I have a sense that our vision for the program is one and the same. I am committed to developing a strong program that also stresses excellent academic performance."

Recent improvements at the tennis facilities including the Headington Family Tennis Center and the Gregg Wadley Tennis pavilion provide OU with $9.2 million in new or recently built facilities.

"They've made a commitment on the facility side of the tennis program that is amazing. I won't have to spend a lot of time convincing recruits that we're worth a look. It's a huge leg up."

Roddick's Division I experience came as an assistant coach at Florida State for the 1999-00 school year and then at his alma mater, Georgia, from 2000-02. Georgia dominated college tennis during that time and won the 2001 NCAA team title. The Bulldogs also reached the 2002 NCAA Team Final.

He said balance will be the focus of his recruiting efforts.

"Tennis is such an international sport and we're going to have some international players, but what I really want to have is a healthy mix of international and American players," he said. "That approach is good for a tennis program because it introduces different styles to the team, and that will only make us stronger."

Born in Omaha, Neb., Roddick was a world-class player. He was a four-time All American at Georgia from 1995-1999 and was named UGA Athlete of the Year in 1998. Also at Georgia, he was a three-time SEC All-Academic selection.

A top U.S. junior, he was a member of the 1993 and 1994 National Teams. He was ranked as high as No. 6 internationally in singles and No. 3 internationally in doubles.

Roddick's academy was a hot bed for top talent. Marquee players at the academy included Nate Schnugg and Jamie Hunt, now at Roddick's alma mater Georgia, Kellen Damico at Texas and Uladzimir Ignatic of Belarus, who was the 2007 French Open Junior champ.

As a coach, Roddick has worked with top touring pros including his brother, Mardy Fish and Wayne Odesnik.

"I like to keep players calm and clear in their thinking," Roddick said of his coaching style. "Every day is an opportunity to go out and work on something, and I am very big on the fundamentals. When players are disciplined in those areas their confidence grows because they're not making silly mistakes any more.

"I think the players will be excited to train that way. The one thing you can control is the process of getting better. After that, the results take care of themselves as long as the players compete as hard as they can and that's something that will be emphasized in our program."

Roddick expects to be in Norman this weekend and will begin his duties immediately.

What They're Saying About John Roddick

Mardy Fish, professional tennis player:
"Coach Roddick is a great fit for the University of Oklahoma. John was instrumental in getting my pro career started and I feel he will have a lot to offer his student-athletes."

Andy Roddick, professional tennis player:
"John not only is my brother but also has helped guide me throughout my career. His enthusiasm for collegiate sports is unparalleled and he has a wealth of knowledge to share with these kids."

Manuel Diaz, Georgia Head Men's Tennis Coach:
"This is a tremendous hire for Oklahoma because John is a terrific coach. He's a winner. John has won at every level from his days as a player in the juniors, his All-America career at Georgia, then as a professional and now as a coach. He was a valuable assistant on our 2001 NCAA National Championship team. John will be a great addition for Oklahoma. I expect their program will make great strides under his leadership as he is extremely dedicated and a tireless worker."

David Mullins, OU Women's Tennis Coach:
"John has a lot of expertise at the pro game, college level and with junior development that will ensure he makes an immediate impact at the University of Oklahoma. I'm thrilled to begin working with John on a daily basis."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 06-19-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #96
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I've ever noticed / seen this thread title, but I LOL'ed irl at the "invisible lawrence" part.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #97
Last dance, Andy

http://www.statesman.com/sports/long...as-700238.html

Horns face Roddick-coached OU in NCAAs
Oklahoma men's tennis coach John Roddick, brother of pro star Andy Roddick, has led the Sooners to a No. 20 ranking.
May 21, 2010

John Roddick has coached his famous younger brother Andy on the ATP tour, and has worked with top juniors at his San Antonio tennis academy.

He likes what he's doing now best of all, though.

A year ago, Roddick sold his Roddick Total Tennis facility to five investors and moved from Austin — where he commuted to work — to Norman, Okla., to become the Sooners men's tennis coach.

Today, his 20th-ranked Sooners will face No. 3 Texas in the round of 16 at the NCAA championships in Athens, Ga.

"Of everything I've done in coaching, this is the most fun," Roddick said. "It's going real well, as well as we could have hoped."

This will be the second time the two teams have played each other this season. Texas won earlier this year, 6-1.

"We understand we can hang with them. It's a matter of finishing off matches," Roddick said.

Their first match was in Austin, two months ago. Oklahoma's coach may feel some home court advantage today, though; Roddick, who was a four-time All-American at the University of Georgia, helped lead Georgia to a national championship and another final round as an assistant coach there in 2001 and 2002.

That runner-up finish looked like it would be Roddick's farewell to college tennis. Later in 2002, he opened his tennis academy to work with talented young players, including Kellen Damico, now a junior singles and doubles player at Texas.

In 2006, Roddick left the day-to-day operations to others and began traveling the pro circuit to coach Andy, the 2003 U.S. Open winner who at the time was trying to get back to the top of the sport. He remained Andy's coach after Andy hired Jimmy Connors, and stayed until 2008.

He was living in Austin, commuting to his San Antonio academy a few times a week and was mulling his future last spring, when Sooners coach Paul Lockwood resigned after a 22-year career at Oklahoma.

"These college coaches tend to stay around forever," Roddick said, adding that he may also go that route.

Oklahoma once dominated the old Big Eight, but has won only two conference titles in the last 32 years, and this is its first trip to the round of 16 since the NCAA adopted that format in 1996.

Oklahoma, however, does have championship-quality facilities, with 12 outdoor courts built within the last decade and a six-court indoor complex that opened last year.

Like many college teams, Oklahoma is a mix of U.S. and international players, including three from Romania and another from Georgia — the country, not the state.

Before playing college tennis, Roddick starred as a junior, winning several Texas championships and reaching the semifinals of the Wimbledon junior championships. When he was 10, in 1986, his family moved from Nebraska to Austin, then to Florida in 1994.

Born in Nebraska. Raised in Austin. Not exactly the ideal pedigree for an Oklahoma coach.

"It's been a pretty easy adjustment. I'm kind of Midwest guy," said Roddick, who has also adapted to Oklahoma's sometimes violent weather. "We've got a basement. We had to use it the other day.

"I've lived in Florida. I'd rather deal with tornadoes than a hurricane. Tornadoes are pretty isolated. With a hurricane, if you're in the way, it's not a good thing."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OU-John-Roddick-2_441074c.jpg (79.9 KB, 17 views)

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #98
Last dance, Andy

OU men’s tennis: Roddick more than just his brother’s name
by Garrett Holt
October 15, 2012

Photo by Heather Brown
OU men’s tennis coach John Rodddick at Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion. Roddick led the team to a Big 12 championship last year.

Oklahoma men’s tennis coach John Roddick is used to his last name garnering attention from those in the tennis world.

His younger brother, Andy Roddick, is the former No. 1-ranked player in the world and is one of the most famous tennis stars to ever come out of the U.S.

“It helps recruiting internationally quite a bit,” John Roddick said. “If it’s a player from another country who may not know who the coach is, it helps for them to have at least some idea of who I am. It definitely helps me get my foot in the door.”

Those international players should think twice, though, if they are under the impression that all John Roddick is offering is a famous last name.

John Roddick has had an impressive run as coach of the Sooners.

Two years ago, OU reached the Elite 8 in the NCAA Tournament, beating third-ranked Texas in the Sweet 16. Last year, Oklahoma captured the Big 12 title by beating Baylor.

This success has endeared John Roddick to his players, who are loyal supporters.

“It’s been pretty great,” senior Lawrence Formentera said. “Once he took the job, we had a really big boost in the rankings. We all really improved, and even recruiting has gotten better. Everything has been better with him taking over the job.”

Similar to the players, the assistant coaches also have nothing but praise for John Roddick.

“I played for him at Georgia from 2000 to 2004,” assistant coach Bo Hodge said. “That’s one of the reasons why I took the job, because of him along with the program.”

This enthusiasm, plus the return of sixth-ranked singles player senior Costin Paval, has the Sooners positioned nicely to have yet another successful season under Roddick.

The team’s mood is one of confidence and experience. The Sooners are ready to head into this year with one of the best seasons in OU tennis history already under their belts.

“I have pretty high expectations for the team,” Formentera said. “We won the Big 12 last year, and we’re one of the teams to beat now.”

Roddick wants to make this season the best of his career as the Sooners’ head coach.

“Our goals are always to win the conference, first and foremost,” Roddick said. “Then in the NCAA tournament, we want to make a run to the Elite 8 or Final 4. We want to put ourselves in the position to be in the later stages of the tournament.”

Roddick has proven he has what it takes to lead a team to the pinnacle of the college tennis world, and his achievements far outstrip his relation to his brother and their history together.

“We’re like normal brothers,” Roddick said. “Honestly, we don’t talk that much tennis anymore, especially now that he’s retired. I doubt that he’s picked up a racquet since the U.S. Open.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roddick_01_t670.jpg (96.1 KB, 24 views)

Mugs Tennis Forums