<<<The state of Mens Tennis>>> - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
RealityRyan

RealityRyan is on a distinguished road
Default <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Men's Tennis as of now...

If this sport is going to get watched, get ratings, and most of all grow. You need a rivalry and you need domination by one or two people. It didn't work with Pete he was too boring and I think that was actually bad for tennis that he didn't show emotion. As much as it's a sport it's entertainment too. I think Andre was always a fan favorite just because he was so entertaining. When people get bored watching tennis they stop caring about it and stop playing. Long gone are the days of a bitter rivalry like Mac and Connors. Did you know that during that era of tennis ratings in the US on avg. were 25% higher?

If you want to see this sport grow you better hope for someone fiery like Roddick dominates because if it's Federer, get ready for another age of boring Tennis. Not that Federer or Pete are bad guys but, they lack the emotion and intrigue which will draw people to watch this sport. That's why right now it's crucial for the sport that the top men step up, take hold, separate themselves and say I am the best. Right now it's unclear and too close. I think I tried making this point at the beginning of my last thread but it got twisted.

You look at what's wrong with Men's tennis today and it's the Talent pool. The kinda of talent pool that is there for Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer isn't there. Why? Because people have to watch tennis and love it, you know get into it first before they spend their lives and money teaching there kids how to play. Don't get me wrong people do that now and today’s players are good and in fact more athletic than yesterdays players but, they aren’t physically gifted like a Michael Vick (Football), Derek Jeter (Baseball), Randy Moss (Football), Allen Iverson (Basketball), David Beckham (soccer), etc. the list goes on. These guys have world-class abilities. Their times on the track, their vertical leap, etc. dog an even the top prof. Tennis player. The best athletes don't play tennis as of now.

So to get the talent pool to grow and pull in better athletes, Tennis needs to become more interesting. If you look at the Women’s side it's alot more interesting that the men’s side. You have two top players that have separated themselves. The Williams have done that, the Williams are that 21st century athlete I am talking about. Muscular, fit, quick, and just purely athletically superior to their competition. Now what makes that interesting is that you have challengers like Kimmy C and JHH who make it really fun to watch as they try to beat these guys. To see if they can be the ones to take them down…

I don’t like the state of Men’s Tennis. I think that for it to really become a draw, we need domination by the top Men. Once that happens interest in the sport will rise and the talent pool will grow. Things like making the sport cheaper and adding some slams to the tour would help in raising interest in the sport again as well.

But as I sit and watch the poor coverage of the Aussie Open on ESPN 2. I think to myself, the reason why it's on this crappy channel is no one wants to cover this. It deserves to be covered better. I remember in the 80's/early 90's (in that era I was talking about) HBO covered Wimbly and the major networks covered the others (I am talking about the whole open too not just the semi's and finals)(abc,nbc,cbs). It was covered all day by HBO too, there were no movies, it was Tennis durning the day and highlights at night. This is all symptomatic of the same problem. A loss of intrest in Tennis...mainly Men's(just because it's the biggest draw)....
RealityRyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 01:54 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Why did you post this in the AO thread? It would get more views/responses in General Messages.

and god, I don't want to prejudge or insult you but if you think you're gonna get good responses from this post on this board, you really have got another thing coming.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
RealityRyan

Default Re: Re: <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
Why did you post this in the AO thread? It would get more views/responses in General Messages.

and god, I don't want to prejudge or insult you but if you think you're gonna get good responses from this post on this board, you really have got another thing coming.
I am sure, it will be fun..
Old 01-21-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
country flag Shy

Shy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that people doesn't give guys like Federer or Ferrero a chance. They have very interesting personality. I find Roger to be an outgoing person off-court.
Shy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
RealityRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
I feel that people doesn't give guys like Federer or Ferrero a chance. They have very interesting personality. I find Roger to be an outgoing person off-court.
Oh no doubt. I watched a Fed interview today on AO.com(btw a great website, I love the way it's run with all the video highlights)...he's really witty and funny. Unfortunitly it's on the court that counts. His actions on court are what people will watch mostly. I think David Nalbandy is has a pretty cool presence on cool. He gets fired up. That's more or less what the sport needs I think...
Old 01-21-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
country flag liS@

liS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond reputeliS@ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityRyan

If you look at the Women’s side it's a lot more interesting that the men’s side. You have two top players that have separated themselves.

I don’t like the state of Men’s Tennis. I think that for it to really become a draw, we need domination by the top Men. Once that happens interest in the sport will rise and the talent pool will grow.

But as I sit and watch the poor coverage of the Aussie Open on ESPN 2. I think to myself, the reason why it's on this crappy channel is no one wants to cover this. It deserves to be covered better.

Wow is the women's really more interesting than the men's?!!??

I thought less domination was suppose to lure more interest due to lack of unpredictability and a diversity of personalities. Four different GS winners a yr is more preferable isn't it? Well plenty of domination can be found on ESPN's poor coverage by Andre and Andy, and that's not always spectaculary popular. (BTW Andy is having no trouble w/ Ulihrach I see )

Last edited by liS@ : 01-21-2004 at 02:25 AM.
liS@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #7
RealityRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by liS@
Wow is the women's really more interesting than the men's?!!??

I thought less domination was suppose to lure more interest due to lack of unpredictability and a diversity of personalities. Four different GS winners a yr is more preferable isn't it? Well plenty of domination can be found on ESPN's poor coverage by Andre and Andy, and that's not always spectaculary popular. (BTW Andy is having no trouble w/ Ulihrach I see )
Yea women's tennis has been more interesting for years. Where have you been? Men's tennis the bigger draw and always will be thou...

No paridy is a bad for Tennis, you need a few good men where not just anybody can win. It's hard to get behind that, as fans. It's easier to follow if there are a couple big names to look for. The women's game has that..

You know that's not what I mean...(A-Rod beating on a nobody)
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

uhhhh.... I strongly disagree. With the exception of a few players, I cannot stand women's tennis. Men's however, I'll watch any men's match!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 AM   #9
RealityRyan

Quote:
uhhhh.... I strongly disagree. With the exception of a few players, I cannot stand women's tennis. Men's however, I'll watch any men's match!
That's cool but, that isn't everyone...some people like the fact that men's tennis is full of paridy and so open. As they lay person that isn't into tennis it's hard to follow. It's good for tennis when there are couple big names that grab all the head lines. "Such and Such" did it again. That makes people watch...for better or worse...
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 AM   #10
country flag Shy

Shy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do agree. Even a match between a qual.and a top 10 is interesting wich isn't the case with the woman. By the way, congratulation on your acceptance.
Shy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:47 AM   #11
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

The view that the women are more full of personality and what not, is a farce. As opposed to viewing the women as athletes as athletes, people view them as stars and personalities. The men are respected as athletes. It's a crap gender thing.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #12
RealityRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Rebecca
The view that the women are more full of personality and what not, is a farce. As opposed to viewing the women as athletes as athletes, people view them as stars and personalities. The men are respected as athletes. It's a crap gender thing.
Disagree women's tennis is interesting because there are gaints. There are names that people always look for do well. It's interesting because the stars never bow out early(it's rare). On the men's side upsets are more common. It's hard for the general public to follow with all these different names coming up. Again, to make a sport watched/make it grow and interesting you need the general public to get into it.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #13
country flag Deboogle!.

Default Re: Re: Re: <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
I do agree. Even a match between a qual.and a top 10 is interesting wich isn't the case with the woman. By the way, congratulation on your acceptance.
Yes I totally agree. Any men's match is more interesting lol. In other sports like skating and gymnastics I like to watch women. but in tennis, give me the men lol

and awwwwwww thank you!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 03:57 AM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

Default Re: Re: Re: <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityRyan
Disagree women's tennis is interesting because there are gaints. There are names that people always look for do well. It's interesting because the stars never bow out early(it's rare). On the men's side upsets are more common. It's hard for the general public to follow with all these different names coming up. Again, to make a sport watched/make it grow and interesting you need the general public to get into it.

hellloooooooo all the different names and talents make it INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #15
RealityRyan

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: <<<The state of Mens Tennis>>>

Quote:
hellloooooooo all the different names and talents make it INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yea, no doubt about that. It makes it interesting and unpredictable for you and me to watch. You never know and anybody could win.

For people to get pulled in you need one or two people that are really good. Like Tiger Woods for golf, I never watch golf but, I know Tiger woods.Why is that? Because he is soo good and very marketable. Dale Earnhart Jr. or Jeff Gorden for Nascar, I never watch that but, I know who they.(again they are kickass and very marketable)

Ask the lay person about Men's tennis they might know who Andre or Andy is but, generally they won't have any idea. Ask the lay person about women's tennis everybody knows the Williams sisters. When people hear about exceptional talent they watch..right now they are'nt hearing anything about Men's tennis....