WIMBLEDON..ahhhh chooo! Grass Allergies Alert! Next Year Save The Plane Fare... ;) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #46
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boodles Y Wimbledon...No Booing The Moo Season Cuz We Want Nico To Win!

No info today on when Nico is flying out to the UK.

It has to be today - takes about a day and a half with time changes for him to get there.

Play starts Tuesday.

This leaves him zero time to get ready to play on grass.

Guess he's not taking the grass season very seriously. Not good. :-(
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #47
country flag TommyB.

TommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boodles Y Wimbledon...No Booing The Moo Season Cuz We Want Nico To Win!

Don´t be worry NicoFan! He has enough time to prepare for Wimbledon. But it´s important to play some matches before Wimbledon starts...so i´m happy that Nico will playing this challenge.

On the other hand grass isn´t his favourite surface. But he can play successful when he want i would say. On grass too!

Btw - I´m very confused with this Boodles Challenge. I don´t know which players starts there finally!?
TommyB. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #48
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

We're all confused with the Bloodles Challenge.

The web site isn't very good, and I guess the info coming out from there including the draws and scores will be very late.

Well, I criticized the American players for not getting their butts over to Europe for the clay season so I would be a hypocrite if I just 'ed at Nico doing the same for grass.

I really wanted him to get this vacation - he deserved it. He really worked hard over the last months to move back up the rankings. And he hadn't been home in so long.

But he could have left on Friday or Saturday, and at least get 1-2 days of practice in. I can't see him being able to get any practice in leaving today.

Hopefully he will be ready for Wimbledon. He only made it to the second round last year so this is a chance to pick up points.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #49
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

OK - just surfing around MTF (I tend to avoid it a lot during the grass season ) and I saw you talking about the Boodles Challenge...............so as it's in my local tennis club I thought I'd better try and explain it if I can.

It's a round robin event involving 8 players - players this year are Andre Agassi, Fernando Gonzalez, David Nalbandian, James Blake, Radek Stepanek, Mardy Fish, Nico Massu and one other yet to be decided. A load of top players choose to practice there for Wimbledon anyway, so they always have a few top players to draft in at the last minute.

Over the first two days, four 1st round matches will take place, - draw has not been done yet. In previous years all four of these matches took place on the Wednesday,- but because the event is usually a sell-out they added an extra day this year so they'll be spread over 2 days.

Once these matches are completed the four winners will play each other on Thursday and Friday, with the two successful players meeting in the Final on Saturday afternoon. The four losers will also play each other and the two winners of these "losers" matches (does that make sense?) will then play each other in a match for 3rd place on Saturday. They also arrange "exhibition" one-off matches for the four players not involved in proper matches on Saturday, so that everyone has the chance to play 3 matches.

I can't deny the draws, OOPs and results will be late - especially as people tend to drop out at the last minute - especally if they lose their first matches or of there's any hint of an injury that might affect their Wimbledon fitness. I do live very close though, so although I probably won't be going this year for various family reasons (I normally go), - if I decide to go or talk to any of my friends who work there I can let you no any news I find out.

As a bit of background - as well as the competition itself, there are various other exhibition matches and events going on throughout the week too - often involving veterans (Pat Cash and Goran Ivanisevic usually play), - and a couple of womens' matches. Sharapova usually goes as she played there just before she won Wimbledon in 2004, and seems to think the place brings her luck! Oh - and you get ghastly British celebrities like Cliff Richard playing their too

Stoke Park (the club where it's held) was the Hotel they used in the first "Bridget Jones" film and has also featured in a couple of James Bond movies. The gardens etc are very beautiful there.

Although the event is obviously there to give players' grass practice - us locals mainly see it as a charity thing. The couple who came up with the idea a few years ago, tragically lost their daughter in a car accident nearby, and they have set up a childrens' ward in a local Hospital in her memory. Every year they auction various things like tennis memorabilia or the chance to "meet the stars" with all the money going to the childrens' ward.

Hope that helps a bit to give you some background.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 06-18-2006 at 04:59 PM.
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #50
country flag TommyB.

TommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much Rosie!

It seems that Tommy Haas pulled out but Nico is there fortunately!
TommyB. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #51
country flag NicoFan

Gracias Rosie for all that information! Appreciate you giving us all the details.

Nice little lineup.

But too bad Tommy pulled out.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #52
country flag NicoFan

According to Judio's thread in MG, Nico will go down to 33 tomorrow.

But...

Because Guille, Andreev and Chucho are out, he will still be seeded for Wimbledon!!!

Not that I want any player out, but since they are, I'm very happy that Nico will be seeded!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #53
country flag Alx
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Alx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
According to Judio's thread in MG, Nico will go down to 33 tomorrow.

But...

Because Guille, Andreev and Chucho are out, he will still be seeded for Wimbledon!!!

Not that I want any player out, but since they are, I'm very happy that Nico will be seeded!
Great !!

At least, he won't meet Federer in 1st round !!
Alx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #54
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all the information Rosie! What a neat event and its even neater that its your local tennis club! (and about Cliff Richard-no Hugh Grant ?)

I remember from last year when Fernando played (and won) that info was very hard to come by so if you're able to get us info ,should you have any, that would be wonderful!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #55
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030
Thanks so much for all the information Rosie! What a neat event and its even neater that its your local tennis club! (and about Cliff Richard-no Hugh Grant ?)

I remember from last year when Fernando played (and won) that info was very hard to come by so if you're able to get us info ,should you have any, that would be wonderful!
Hugh Grant has been there actually But sadly Sir Cliff is a more regular visitor It's raining here at the moment and very windy and chilly - so I don't know how much play they will get there today.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #56
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judio
Today is Monday so it can rain as much as it likes
Ooops - yes - that's true I do think it's set for the first half of the week though!!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #57
country flag NicoFan

Thanks for the OOP Judio!

And maybe that's why Nico didn't leave until yesterday - he knew he wasn't playing.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #58
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie thank you so much for all the info about the event, it sounds like a nice event so hopefully Nico can get some good preparation for Wimbledon

And it's even greater to see that he'll be seeded for Wimbledon

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #59
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judio
Phoned the Management Group who organise the event

TUESDAY ORDER OF PLAY

1415 start

Andre AGASSI vs Jamie BAKER

Fernando GONZALEZ vs Mikael YOUZHNY

Exhibition
Victoria AZARENKA vs Viktorya KUTUZOVA
Thanks Judio!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #60
country flag Sparko1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Hugh Grant has been there actually But sadly Sir Cliff is a more regular visitor

too bad!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ