Andy played great. He's near his best again. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
country flag Sapeod
Grassray to Hardcourtray

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Post Andy played great. He's near his best again.

Roger was close to his peak level as we're likely to ever see from him these days. His serve was unbreakable, his groundstrokes were deep and heavy a lot of the time, his defending was immense, his net game and variety was great. He was unplayable...and Andy still made it a fairly close match. Sure, it was in straight sets but Andy's level made each set a close struggle and he played fantastic. Even if you hate him you have to commend him on an excellent performance. Surely? Despite the loss he's looking near his best and he'll be dangerous on the American hardcourts

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 6 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 11 WINS, 4 finals, 9 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $39,630,650 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 537-159...
TITLES: 35 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
country flag Tramline

Tramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond reputeTramline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy played great. He's near his best again.

Beaten by a serve machine really. Rest of the match was close.
Tramline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, pretty similar to 12/13 Wimby levels.

Favourite tennis matches: 2011 US Open Final & 2012 Australian Open Final, starring Novak Djokovic & Rafael Nadal, showing us just how far science can take humanity.

The US Open Final was especially enjoyable, with 'Why are there white spots all over my body?' Djokovic and 'Why am I sweating boils?' Nadal embarked on a titanic battle, concluding with the inferior player, Nadal, entering a sort of delirious state of psychosis. This allowed him to, while showing very little fatigue, consume inhuman amounts of energy, before he literally ran his legs from underneath him. This is truly the stuff dreams are made of.
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

sad about the result but yes, USO, WTF, Cinci, Shanghai etcs all good chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

I just said in the Muzz forum, I'm actually encouraged by how he served. I mean, I don't see how anyone can take away any credit from Federer today. We were all nervous about Andy's serving, but today: 74% first serves in, and he sure as hell wasn't rolling them in.

Ran into a monster today, but it's been a great 2015 so far, and I look forward to the rest of it. It's a far cry from 2014!
Murray Mint is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

He played well, but he's still not as mentally strong as he should be. 2nd set was incredible from Fed, but when Murray was serving to stay in the 1st and 3rd, he made few costly errors. though Fed did raise his level too.
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Just got a little tight at the end of sets but when you're playing against the GOAT who is GOATing that can happen.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
country flag Nolesaurus

Nolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond reputeNolesaurus has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Andy has an awful wide opening forehand that is of course loose and he has a pathetic 2nd serve so it was nothing but exploited. Fed just took an advantage and Andy was conscious about it and was very passive on the return. He was never a threat on return. Nole is on another level there.
Nolesaurus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
country flag AmarI

AmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond reputeAmarI has a reputation beyond repute

He still needs to be more aggressive. Even on neutral balls today he was rallying back to Federer instead of cracking it.
AmarI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
country flag mistercrabs

mistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond reputemistercrabs has a reputation beyond repute

No aggression whatsoever, either on baseline rallies or on return of serve. He was asking to be slaughtered and he was.

"Veembledon make my neeples craysy"

Bjorn Borg

"I would bet my tiny baby's pinkie that Rafael Nadal is the very living incarnation of Hitler's essence."
Francis Ford Coppola
mistercrabs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
country flag StopDropAndTroll
Judging you.

StopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond reputeStopDropAndTroll has a reputation beyond repute

Andy played very well - probably wold have beaten any other player today. I think he'll win the US Open this year......and I say that as a Murray hater
StopDropAndTroll is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

The form seems decent, but he went away mentally vs Djokovic in the AO final, and he went away mentally today.

It took him a long time to put all the elements in his game together and reach his peak. The Olympics was the final piece of the jigsaw, that unique occasion gave him a final burst of confidence at the very top. Following that: US Open title, AO runnersup, Wim title.

Then he loses 18 months to the back injury. It's a short career - he's getting old now, and with an effort like today I'm guessing he won't win any more slams. It was that bad.

The only positive spin I can think of: before the match, I was wondering if he might not be coping with home pressure well post Wim2013 (think match vs Dimitrov Wim last year, and then the Fed performance at the WTF). If this was just another example of that, perhaps other slams are still on. I'm dubious, tbh.

Last edited by philosophicalarf : 07-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
country flag M.Bison

M.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bison has a reputation beyond repute

His second serve is still crap. Why he doesn't hire a serve coach boggles the mind. The difference with Novak's serve pre and post Becker is quite telling.

Rest of his game is decent though, a chance at the US Open.
M.Bison is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #14
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Murray would today beat any other player in the draw just he was unlucky that Fed fluked Jesus out. Last time it happened in Shanghai SF, repeating it after 9 months, pretty harsh on Murray, even if i don't like the guy
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bison View Post
His second serve is still crap. Why he doesn't hire a serve coach boggles the mind. The difference with Novak's serve pre and post Becker is quite telling.

Rest of his game is decent though, a chance at the US Open.
today his serve was fine, if he coupled that with a more punchy ground game then its really his peak level, he couldn't quite do the latter and was beaten soundly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote