Interviews and Articles - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #31
country flag SLICK

SLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond reputeSLICK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interviews and Articles

Davydenko beats El Aynaoui 6-7(2) 7-5 7-5. Full match report and press conference quotes.

http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.p...n=news&id=2477
SLICK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #32
country flag {Annie}

{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and phew
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
{Annie} is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #33
country flag alelysafina

Location: In the middle of nowhere... and nowhere near the beach :(
alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

Our Kolechka is a giver! awww

SONY ERICSSON OPEN
Miami, U.S.A.

March 18, 2007
Davydenko, Schneider Support 'Feed The Children'

© Sony Ericsson Open
World No.4 Nikolay Davydenko and Sony Ericsson WTA Top 20 player Patty Schneider visited Crandon Park Track in Miami during the lead up to the 2007 Sony Ericsson Open. The duo teamed up with tournament staff and volunteers from America’s third largest international charity ‘Feed the Children’ to help load more than 347,000 pounds of food, beverages and personal care products into 14 trucks that will be distributed to more than 50 hunger relief agencies across South Florida.

This year’s Sony Ericsson Open marks the eleventh time that Feed The Children will be involved with the tournament. Over the past 10 years the tournament has supplemented more than 16 million meals to over 163,000 families at an estimated value of close to US$5 million.

“It’s important for the players to take an interest in what the tournaments are doing for those that are less privileged than ourselves. We have the luxury of always knowing that food is going to be available for us, so it is good that the tournament is helping promote this charity and helping the kids of America,” said Davydenko in between loading one of the trucks.

Feed The Children is an essential partner to the national, state and local organizations it works with. Feed The Children reaches 50,000 partner agencies made up of feed centers, homeless shelters, churches and other charitable organizations that depend on it to help provide food and other necessities to the children and families most in need in their communities.

Tournament Director Butch Buchholz commented “We at the Sony Ericsson Open have received tremendous support over the years from the South Florida community and this is an opportunity for us to give something back."

Davydenko will take on Thailand’s Danai Udomchoke or Germany’s Simon Greul in his opening round match on Friday or Saturday.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/news/2007/feed1.asp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feed.jpg (14.4 KB, 10 views)

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo

Nikolay Davydenko Online

My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #34
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

here is the Kolya interview video made on 24th March in Miami, down from the AMS tv site

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...4B1A2E5078A54E
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #35
country flag {Annie}

{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute

http://guyfromrussia.proboards48.com...442245&page=23

scroll down that page a little and look for dina's post. There's a pre- DC match interview
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #36
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

see this video: http://www.rogepost.com/n/4542887760

wanna know what happened in the end of that
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #37
country flag alelysafina

Location: In the middle of nowhere... and nowhere near the beach :(
alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tosee and Annie

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo

Nikolay Davydenko Online

My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #38
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

May 11th - http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2007-05-12/k.php
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #39
country flag {Annie}

Day 13

An interview with Nikolay Davydenko - Friday, June 8, 2007

Q. It was very close today. Do you feel any big frustration?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I feel more like, it was, how I say, it was pretty tough match. It was physically tough and mentally. Because we both play fast tennis, and he played fast, I tried to play fast. But I know I have not enough power for all match, that was. And important points, if he get like, you know, if he have important points, he have more concentration and just he tried to finish in this one. He tried to win.

And by my important points, I'm losing. So not always, but more. Today was many points, important points I'm losing. That was the match was close, but close not for me, for him. That was like he won.

Q. Does it leave you wondering what you have to do to beat him? You had a lead in all three sets, and he just somehow manages, even when he's not playing that great, to come up with the victory.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, like I get in second set, I serve for the set, in the first set. And first set, I was at break chance, and like, I have break, and like my serve.

But in some different, like, games, or some, like, one point by 4-3, he just broke me in the first set. He did something. He changed tennis, little bit changing, and I was surprising. And it was tough for me. Because he was always play top spin and won, just few points he start to play slice, and returning slice, short points to, like, and I need to move more, and, like, I did mistakes.

And that was he broke me in the first set, mentally a little bit. And this was pretty tough to, you know, come back and play the same good, like baseline in the second and third set.

Q. What did you think when he shot his incredible ace with second serve at 5-5 in the tiebreak?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Lucky. It was lucky, because good kick top spin, but to the line and from the lines bring ball fast, you know. That was the ace. If he was not on the line, I would have more chance, you know, to returning.

Q. Despite losing, does it give you some encouragement, because you played him really tough and close, probably better than maybe the previous outings?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, today match, for me, from my side, I proved more like how I can play, like, against Federer. I did today well. Like normally with these points what I did today, play fast, and I think it was good way. But it's not enough. This was -- I did -- I was tired. I lose my concentration in some important point, and I losing games and I'm losing sets. That was in every time what I was starting, you know, to just normal.

Like, if everybody see you, I just only need win my serve, and I can win set, you know, match. But I didn't. This was -- yeah, in important points, I think, was not for -- I don't speak about for all match, I speak for few points, you know, close, where I can win match.

Q. Can you talk about the beginning of the match, because you were so faster? It was possible to go on two sets like this? Three sets like this?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Maybe I did mistake. I was starting to play fast from my serve and returning. It was -- I also fighting in return. It was all time I have. I always changing the return, winning return by first set. And I losing so much power. And that was with this one.

And in the second set, I was already more tired. I need to know how I need to use my power longer, not just for one set. And then, like, didn't play any -- have no chance, you know, to play second or third set. Yeah, this is -- yeah. I would say I have power, but not enough. Normally, I need to get more.

Q. You spoke about how Roger was able to change his game. Is that one of his best strengths, and is he the best in the sport at changing his game plan and at switching tactics?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. Normally, a good player, very good players always changing something in like tactic. And he have, in important points, like, he have last match point, and he did, you know, returning slice shot. It was already, you know, interesting, because he tried to do something different. If he have no chance to play like this, he changing something, like make slice, or different point. This was -- yeah, that's why he is No. 1.

And if I have chance by break him, like Love-40, and he make three aces, you know, so good concentration by first serve, and always doing a kick, good kick to the lines, and I have no chance to returning. Yeah, he is, like, good player.

Q. So it's difficult just to keep up with him?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's not like -- yes. Like, I play, and, like, we always play from baseline, try to make winners. And Roger have, like, Love-40, and come in, only make serve, didn't lose so much power. And like, still, you know, winning games with the serve, just with serve. This is very good.

Q. Did you feel that you made him, you made -- Federer looked like he struggled, he struggled today? And do you take some comfort that at least you made him struggle? You weren't rolled over 6-2, 6-2, 6-1. It was a really, really tough match. Does that give you some kind of encouragement?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I was coming to the match, not like losing 6-2, 6-2, 6-1, yeah. I was trying to make my game, and I did. I just try to play what I like to do. I beginning play fast, and I was try to play more faster. But if I losing my power, I try to do better and better, but I can't. You know, how possible, you know, if you're tired. You're losing concentration. You're losing power. And you stay on the court, you think, Now what I need to do?

You play against a guy who play fast, but you have no power, you cannot run right-left. Then you try to change something, but, you know, better just go from the court, like, stop match.

But, yeah, that was important, yeah. Maybe I am not so strong enough. I need to be more stronger. I'll try (smiling).

Q. Some players start to get angry, they start to crash their racquets and swear, and, you know, whatever. But Federer keeps calm. Does that get to you as a player, that you just don't know what he's thinking or what he's going to do?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Not only is he good mentally concentration for every point, this was -- he's still quiet, you know, on the court. But in important point, he have more concentration. He just try to win this point. If not, he tries next one.

It was -- yeah, this way what he play always, is I think the best way for the tennis, for winning matches, like, always concentration and be quiet on the court.

Q. Did you feel any trouble with your back today?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: How you know? I have trouble already many days ago, but, you know, it's like if you're already running on the court and you're tired, you know, then you have some little bit problem, you're painful everywhere. You know, yeah, some painful. But I don't want to say now I'm losing because I have back pain, foot pain, knee pain, everything pain. Everybody has is painful. But you need to play, and you need to stand, you know, on the court and try to win matches. Doesn't matter what you're feeling.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...320434437.html
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #40
country flag {Annie}

N. DAVYDENKO/J. Nieminen

6‑3, 7‑6

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO INTERVIEW

Q. How was your foot today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's better because we get good protection here for the match.

Q. What kind of thing?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's like I make before match physio, ATP physio, make like don't feel so much pressure of the ‑ how you say ‑ finger ‑‑ toes, yeah.

Q. Is it a blister, a cut, a bruise?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, I have stress factory (sic). Make MRI in the clinic.

Q. How close were you to not playing today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's was should be decide ATP doctor and here ATP physio after like, say, the examination.

Q. How does it feel now after the match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Winning match feel good.

Q. Is it an injury that will need you to take some time off at some stage?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally I don't know how is it bad because doctor don't say me anything if I can or not play. If I have no pain, I can play. If I have pain, I need to examine again to be more like go to the doctors, see again.

Q. What is your reaction to the whole thing that came out last week?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Disappointment, because like I'm top player and, like, people talking not only like, say, in Russia, in my country, is talking everywhere in the world.
Is pretty tough for me, get more pressure now for this tournament. Mentally, it's pretty tough.

Q. What has the reaction been from other players? Have they been supportive towards you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. I come here and, like, is still the same by the other players. I don't see any different between what's before and now.

Q. How did you first hear about it? How did it come to your ears?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Next day, Friday, I come to Germany to do examination for my foot, and that's what I was surprising.

Q. You read it in the newspaper or somebody called you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: My manager call me for next day.

Q. Have you been interviewed by anybody from the ATP or from the betting agency about the situation?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, not yet.

Q. How has it affected your preparation for this tournament?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uhm, normally after my injury I didn't know how I can good preparation for here, for Montréal, because for me was first very important to be examination my injury and then to play. I just was don't think about winning today or not, just try to play. If I can finish match, it's good. If not, okay.
Just was testing for first match.

Q. You said it was disappointing for this story to break. Did it affect your preparation at all? Was it a distraction?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. Like say, like you feeling already like coming for this week, you know you have little bit pressure from press like, you know, try somebody to find you, try to make some question about what's happening there. That's was for me pretty tough in this moment.

Q. Have these last couple months been probably the most stressful in your career, the most trying period?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think yes. After Wimbledon I didn't win no match. Every week I try to win matches. I try to make result. And like losing three weeks in a row first round is also pretty tough for me. That's was I losing my confidence also.

Q. What is your reaction in general to the idea that somebody would throw a match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally I don't know. I was before already injury before my match. But normally I was ‑‑ it's so surprising. Like who can know I can be injury and I can retired in my match?

Q. Not just you yourself. But in general, in the sport, is it a surprise to you to hear that people might be making money from players with injuries, losing deliberately?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think now tennis is most popular because you have singles player. It's not like team, like soccer or basketball, something different. But I know like maybe it's different business to make easy money. That's was tough to say something about this.

Q. Some players have said they've received phone calls from people offering money to throw a match. Have you ever received a phone call like that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Nobody know my numbers. Also normally ATP call only to my manager or to my brother. Nobody from Russian Federation know my numbers also. Because numbers have only private people, like my family or my manager, my brother. That's it.
Before my number get many press. That's what I really change in last year like this. I don't want to be somebody call to me and make some questions about match or something like this. Try to get in hotel, just calling me in my room, but my wife always by phone (smiling).

Q. You've never been in contact with anyone like this?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally, no.

Q. How would you explain it?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Explain?

Q. There seemed to be a lot of betting right during the match, so it was very unusual. Do you know how or why that would happen?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally who knows if like injury to be? Only me and my wife already before tournament. That's was I already didn't know if I can finish first match there and how I get my painful there, that's it.
I start to play. If I feel okay, if I can finish match, is good for me. I try to win. If I cannot finish match, if I losing match already, I cannot finish, I am retired. That's was I don't know how can people know about, you know, my injury.
Okay, maybe by practicing see or, you know, physio know. But I don't know who know else I was injury in this moment.
THE MODERATOR: Do we have further questions about today's match or his next round?

Q. Along that line, considering what you've gone through, what does that say about yourself, that you were able to get through a pretty difficult match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I would say I'm professional player. I try to preparation for every match. Doesn't matter what's happening in, you know, my life.
Normally it's pretty tough. You know, it's something in your inside happening. But for me now in this moment, try to make some result here in Montréal because I need to get points for Shanghai. If I do some well result, I can finish also top 10 this year. It's for me very important.

Q. Did you find it at all unusual you were playing on such a small court, being that you're a high‑ranked player, considering everything that's gone on?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: That's was is changing. I was lucky, like Blake retired, changing courts. My brother come to ATP say, Please changing from 5 to 9, because court is little bit different between 5 and 9. It was we have time for like finishing second set. We spoke with Nieminen. Okay, we can play Court 9.
But lot of matches of center court, Court 1. I don't know, maybe tomorrow play Court 1 (smiling).

Q. Did you have to get a lawyer just to help you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally nobody tell about me, you know. That's was with company don't say I person who did this thing. If this company, you know, Betfair or something like this, say I'm person who did this, then I do lawyers, then I do against this company. But I don't see with reason now somebody get against me something. That's was for this reason I don't need lawyers.

Q. Is there any way that you can think of to stop this kind of thing happening?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Now we spoke about ATP and we try for in the future to protect me, you know, about this reason. Last year I losing many tournaments also first round. Now also happening because I play 30 tournaments in a year. Last year I lose 10 tournaments first round, and also sometimes I'm injury, I'm retired in the match.
That's what in the future I would like, you know, somebody to protect me from all these reasons or something like this that's happening.

Q. What's the difference in the courts, from 5 to 9? Why did your brother say the court was different?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Because I was practicing in Court 2, 6 and 5. 5 was for me like two times practicing. I say, This is different, like pretty fast court. Ball spring very fast. I say I feel is different between Court 2 or Court 6 and 5. I say is pretty tough to play rally.

And then I know for next day, I play Court 5, I was laughing. I say, Only this court is pretty tough for me, very bad for me, and I play of Court 5
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #41
country flag {Annie}

August 15, 2007

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Second set he saved two match points and forced a tiebreak. Did you feel like he was playing better, or did you feel like your game was slipping a little bit?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No. Maybe I was a little bit nervous. Like 6 4 on my serve and I try maybe just to make one first serve fast and finishing, but it didn't helping. He returning well second serve and I was feeling a little bit, okay, like how I say nervous by baseline and losing baseline both always. He play really better baseline and I didn't control well in tiebreak and I losing.

Q. How important is this week do you think to just get the focus back on your tennis, the on court stuff?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: For me, important I think like now all Masters Series what I did in Montreal quarterfinal and here, because I don't need defend now points. Now I have some points like I'm very happy to get points here like for Shanghai also, and I also need to defend US Open semifinal. Every point very important for me in the moment.

Q. Has it been harder to focus on tennis since what happened, or not really?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally it was disappoint in Montreal. It was very tough over there, because after the tournament they come. But now I played all week here and now it's quiet. For me it's very nice to really concentration on the tennis, like do the same job what I did before and like play every match just concentration just for tennis.

Q. How hard was it last week to do that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know, like how explain. Especially just mentally, very tough was mentally. But I was playing good, that's why's I make like winning two matches there. I was already happy in Montreal, how good I did.

Q. Are you hopeful the investigation will be over soon so the people won't talk about it anymore and you'll be cleared?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It would be good if like already was now it's quiet and like and nobody talk about it and I'm already happy. I don't know. We're in America. It's different country. I think it should be okay.

Q. When you look at today, six of the top seeds lost. How does that open up the draw for the remaining guys like yourself?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's pretty tough to play here really. Like because from Montreal coming here it's very hot and ball fly more faster and not so good control from the racquet. Some guys like who play before very well here, he still play well.
Because like if you did one, you know, time winning like final winning like Roddick, feeling great here, make good serve and playing well from baseline, he do good job.
Some guys cannot play very well here. It's pretty tough. Every match is very tough. Doesn't matter if you winning one round you can lose in second. Because it's like some guys if very feeling good here baseline and serve then can win. That's why I think many guys is losing here.

Q. How many days have you been able to practice? When did you get here?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I coming Sunday, Monday. Have two days before my match like no, start Monday, Tuesday. Like three days I have prepare here.

Q. Was that enough time, do you think, to get used to the courts?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's pretty tough to see like how many days you need to here prepare, because it's only I thinking in America very fast. I don't know why, but control is pretty tough. Difficult to control ball here.

Q. How did you feel you played today then against Ginepri?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I was okay, Ginepri play also did many mistake from first set and second. But we play both not so great tennis, but I would say did win guy who make more concentration, put ball on the court, do not so much mistake. It's nothing like make special great tennis.

Q. Be consistent.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. Just play, like do less mistake you won match.

Q. How is the toe injury? How is your toe? Does it feel better?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Toe, you know, it's interesting thing, because ATP knows already and doctor of ATP knows I have stress fracture in the bones, and it's still stress fracture. I send also CD with MRI to Germany and doctor say it's also the same, what everybody find.
I did good protection in Montreal. Like always I do some I have no, like how to say, not so much pressure in the toes. That's what I have no pain. And always if I keep it like this to play and have no pressure still no pain, but it's still stress fracture.

Q. So do you have something in your shoe to keep the pressure off of it?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. It's not in the shoes, it's like, how do you say in English?
Q. Orthopedics?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, orthopedics. That's what it is. I have something there to protect me from the pain really, like pain relief.

Q. As far as that investigation goes, is the ATP giving you updates, or how are you communicating with them?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. It's not with me now. It's only my manager. I just like try my I'm like still to play tennis. I don't know anything now in the moment. I don't want to know also in this moment, that's why's I was only concentration tennis.

http://www.cincytennis.com/2/en/play...davydenko3.asp
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #42
country flag {Annie}

An email conversation with Nikolay Davydenko: 'Last season I was depressed. I wanted to quit tennis'

Coping with allegations over betting; avoiding Federer in Grand Slam semis; preparing for popular Rotterdam event

By Paul Newman
Monday, 18 February 2008
The Independent

You have a reputation for playing more tournaments than most players. How do you stay so fit?
I've always played a lot. I've always liked to travel and be at tournaments. I became very fit by playing so many matches. But as I get older I need to reduce my tournaments so that I can keep clear of injuries and be at my peak for the biggest events.

What is your favourite tournament?
Moscow, because I won it three times!

What do you like about the ABN AMRO event in Rotterdam, where you are playing this week?
It's very well organised, which is important to us players. It makes our lives easy, so we can concentrate on tennis. The tournament director of the ABN AMRO is Richard Krajicek, the former Wimbledon champion, and he knows what the players like and don't like. I like the city of Rotterdam a lot. It's a good place to go shopping with my wife.

You have finished in the world's top five three years in a row but have not made a Grand Slam final. How can you break through?
A better draw would help! I reached so many Grand Slam semi-finals and then played Roger Federer. I could also improve my serve and physique.

Can Andy Murray win a Grand Slam tournament?
Murray definitely has a chance. He still has to learn a lot to win Grand Slams because they are very special, but he definitely has the potential.

What has been the best moment of your career so far?
Helping Russia win the 2006 Davis Cup was a great moment, and reaching four Grand Slam semi-finals was good for me individually.

How much has your life changed since the Association of Tennis Professionals started investigating irregular betting patterns involving your match against Martin Vassallo Arguello in Sopot in Poland last July?
I went through a serious depression because I was totally wrong-footed by the announcement. I didn't do anything, I didn't even know anything about it and then everywhere I went nobody asked me about tennis any more. I became famous in a way I didn't like and didn't understand. It drove me into a depression, especially at the end of last year when I was fined in St Petersburg. They wrongly said that I wasn't trying. In the end they had to admit they were wrong and lifted the fine, but I was shocked and crying in the locker room. I was having trouble with my serve, but I was trying my best, as I always do. It became a big effort even to go to the end-of-year tournament in Shanghai because of all this. It should have been a great moment, but I didn't really want to go any more.

When you retired with a foot injury against Vassallo Arguello some people made a lot of money by betting on him to win, even after he had lost the first set. You have denied any involvement in betting and denied any knowledge of why people were betting on you to lose. Do you think certain people must have known you were injured?
These are all assumptions and guesses and I don't want to speculate. I can only say what I know, which is that I told the physio on the court during the match that I was injured. I asked him what I should do, because I didn't want to risk serious injury. He said I should try to continue if I could, and so I did. That is all I know.

Do you think the ATP has been fair during its investigation?
No. From the first moment I felt isolated and left on my own to deal with everything. I felt I deserved better protection from the ATP.

Did the ATP request the telephone records of yourself, your wife and your brother (who is your coach)? Have they received them?
Yes, they did. I gave my telephone records, but there is still not a decision over whether my wife and brother are obliged to give theirs. Whatever I have to do legally I will, but I will not do something that is not legal and the privacy laws are very strict.

How much has the attention affected your tennis?
At the end of last season I was very depressed and wanted to quit tennis. My brother, wife and manager convinced me that I am only 26, that I have good years ahead, that I haven't achieved yet what I always wanted – to win a Grand Slam tournament – and that I shouldn't let something stupid like this, which is not my fault and [is] out of my hands, stop me.

Has the investigation damaged you financially?
I didn't lose contracts, but I was close to signing a badge deal which is now on hold until the final decision is made. At the start, a lot of tournaments where I would be a marquee player became insecure about the situation, but that problem is solved because everyone who knows me in tennis realised I had done nothing wrong.

Since the controversy broke, a number of players have said they have been approached in the past by people wanting to fix matches. Are you surprised?
I was very surprised because I have never been approached. What surprised me most is why they did not report them when they were approached. They should have done. Why did they wait until this Sopot situation?

Three Italian players, Potito Starace, Alessio Di Mauro and Daniele Bracciali, have been suspended for placing bets on matches. Have they been made scapegoats?
It's not my position to make a judgement. It seems they made only little bets, but they were stupid to do it.

Do you think there is a problem with match-fixing in tennis?
No, certainly not at the top of the game. The top players want to win every match and there is a lot of reward for doing so. There is no motivation for a top player to not want to win matches because you can make a lot at the top by winning. At the lower level I cannot say because it is many years since I played there, but I have never been approached.

Are the authorities fighting corruption in the right way?
I don't actually know what they are doing, so I cannot comment. But I think the easiest thing would be to ban all betting on tennis.

Nikolay Davydenko will play in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, which starts today. The ABN AMRO event is in its 35th year and will also feature Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. For more information go to www.abnamrowtt.nl

Attachment

Date of birth 2 June 1981 Born Severodonetsk, Ukraine

Height 5ft 10in

Weight 70kg

Turned professional 1999

Plays Right-handed; two-handed backhand

Career earnings $7,390,873 (£3,768,754)

Career record, singles Won 268; Lost 194.

Career titles 11.

Highest ranking No 3 (6 November 2006)

Grand Slam record

Australian Open QF (2005, 2006, 2007) 4R (2008)

French Open SF (2005, 2007)

Wimbledon 4R (2007)

US Open SF (2006, 2007)
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #43
country flag star_of_dusk

star_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond repute

Nikolay Davydenko: A Perennial Dark Horse

The Tennis community in B/R has featured articles on Safin, Murray, Federer, Nadal, Tsonga, and Roddick, so I decided that Davydenko had to featured as well.

Nikolay Davydenko is my "all-time" favourite, i.e., from the time I have attuned myself to the sport, second only to Roger Federer.

I have used the words "all-time" because all the other players that I root for depend on my mood and the opponent facing them. I can positively say that after Federer, its Nikolay's game that I connect with.

Davydenko doesn't have Grand Slam count in his kitty nor does he boast of some lethal, awe-inducing arsenal. Some of his shots may not even seem magical, but the manner in which he unleashes them is the point that makes all the difference.

He has been a consistent Top 5 player for quite a few years now, although he never managed to win a Slam. The maximum distance he has managed being the Semi-Finals of Roland Garros and French Open twice.

The last time I saw him play was against Murray at the year end Masters Cup at Shanghai in 2008 where he literally packed off Murray, reaching to his first Masters Cup final in four appearances.

Kolya's game is best in the hard and the clay courts, whereas grass is like a formidable opponent to him. The fact that he hasn't made past the fourth round at Wimbledon stands testimony to that.

Coached by his brother Eduard, Davydenko is a hardcore baseliner with a powerful backhand. His Achilles heel, however is the fact that he has on numerous occasions failed to capture games where he had held the upper hand.

This year, so far he hasn't had a chance to play so far; he withdrew from Chennai Open and consecutively from the Australian Open. In fact he was the only Top 10 male seeded player not to feature in the Asia/Pacific Slam.

On court, Davydenko [from the matches I have seen of him] is not a player prone to emotional outbursts. Although there have been many controversies surrounding him, none of them are because of his temperament on the court.

In a world filled with show stoppers like Murray who make sudden ascendancy to the top bracket or tongue-in cheek Novak Djokovic or enigmas like Federer or intimidating Nadal, Davydenko has carved his own niche.

He remains there, relatively calm and unruffled waiting and waiting for his opportunity; and I as his fan am filled with hope and anticipation that one day, he will win a Slam and that is why to me he presents himself as a "Dark Horse" who may strike when it is least expected of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...al-dark-horse#

I'll remember you this way
star_of_dusk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #44
country flag Crazy Girl

Crazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond reputeCrazy Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, indeed, STAR!!!!
And many greatings to your little dog!!!!

NIKO!!!!!

You know...At this point you can place me in every "position" you like.

Also the little sheep (or doggy-style). As you prefer, Olderer.
Crazy Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
country flag star_of_dusk

star_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond repute

Davydenko hopes make Tour comeback

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10288850.html

02/23/2009 11:47 PM | By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter

Dubai: Top Russian player Nicolay Davydenko is hoping to surmount his recent injuries and get back on to the ATP Tour as soon as possible.

"I need to overcome this part of my life and get on with my tennis," Davydenko told Gulf News after attending the Dugas Kids' Day at one of the outside courts along the sidelines of the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships yesterday.

"I have been to the doctor and he reckons I could be playing again in another two weeks' time, which is good news for me as I need to get out there and start enjoying my tennis again," the 27-year-old Davydenko added.

The Russian injured his left heel in his season-opening tournament in Chennai and withdrew from his second round match there. At the Australian Open it was the same injury that broke a streak of 29 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played since the 2001 US Open.

Davydenko took a one-month break and made a return on the Tour at the Rotterdam Open, and lost in the second round. The Russian is currently in Dubai as part of his commitment to the ATP Tour.

"Hopefully, I will be ready for the US tournaments starting with Miami in a couple of weeks," Davydenko confided. The top Russian finished in the top-5 for a fourth straight season last year. A rare distinction is the fact that he has won at least one ATP title for six straight years.

In 2008, Davydenko captured three ATP titles in five finals, including his second ATP Masters Series shield in Miami, where one of his highlights was back-to-back wins over Andy Roddick in the semifinal and Rafael Nadal in the final.

One of the possible reasons for his constant run-in with injuries is the busy schedule Davydenko follows on Tour. But he does not agree. "I am getting older," he joked. "Take a look at this season& I have not even started 2009," he rued.

Bracing for a challenging 2009, Davydenko admitted feeling apprehensive when he eventually took the first step in his quest to participate in Miami game.

"A lot really depends on how I feel going into the tournament. The first round would be very important as I would need to start winning and then hope to carry through on that confidence as the tournament progresses," Davydenko stated.

At the same time, he was not too concerned with putting himself under pressure as long as his health holds out. "I do not want to be injured and that is one of my goals," he shrugged.

"I enjoy this status of being the top Russian player, I always have since the pas few years, and I know the fans are behind me," Davydenko said.

Though not playing this week, Davydenko is pleased he is here as that gives him an opportunity to explore Dubai.

"The good thing about not spending time on court is that I have spent time outside exploring all the good things happening in Dubai. It has been an exciting time for me," said Davydenko.

I'll remember you this way
star_of_dusk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote