Interviews and Articles - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
country flag {Annie}

{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interviews and Articles

And here is a new blog entry

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hello. After my first match and press, we came back to the hotel to rest. I asked Irina what we would do and she said: “nothing”. No shopping. No trip around Beijing.

We decided to spend time at the gym. Irina ran and I used the sauna and swimming pool for a few hours. By the time we got back to our room, we didn’t want to go anywhere and got room service before bed.

Today, I woke up at the same time, 7am. Like normal people, not like tennis players! We had breakfast, but were then unsure of what we were going to do all day. So I went to the gym again and ran for 20 minutes, used the bicycles just to get in shape for tonight’s match. After all, my match is at 7pm.

I prefer playing during the day, because sometimes you don’t feel great in the dark with your serve. I think it is tough to play under lights, you can’t see the balls clearly. If I play a lot of night sessions, like in New Haven, every day, then it is okay.

With not a lot to do, we had our first lunch at the hotel and it was surprisingly good. A buffet, like I have never seen before. There was every kind of food from different countries. The calamaris were great and the seafood unbelievable. It was amazing. There was everything there that you could wish to eat. With a full stomach, after lunch I tried to sleep. But couldn’t.

I forgot to tell you. I got a special gift from the tournament on my arrival at the China Open. It’s difficult to explain, but I’ll do my best. It’s my name in Chinese on special paper, calligraphy paper that I can put on the wall. Someone said the guy who did it was the best. The other thing isn’t a gift or a present, but my treatment here at the hotel and club has been great. If I stay longer maybe I’ll have another present?

You might be thinking with a big Davis Cup semifinal tie against the United States coming up, next week, is my focus on that? The answer is no. My mind is only on this tournament in China. I am only interested in what I do now. The tie is in Moscow, only a four-hour time difference. The only problem I foresee should be changing to a clay court surface. But I don’t need to concentrate on that now. I will just relax and take it easy. I have got match wins under my belt and my confidence is good.

If I lose tonight, I have all day tomorrow to see everything in Beijing! The Chinese Wall and everything that I want to see. We will see what happens today. Wish me luck!
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
{Annie} is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

i just wanna say Kolya really feels good in Beijing
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #18
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

He's so awesome. I think I'm in love.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #19
country flag alelysafina

Location: In the middle of nowhere... and nowhere near the beach :(
alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

He's playing with his sea food!

Once again great blog!

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo

Nikolay Davydenko Online

My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

well, some girl noticed me of that... if you havent read Kolya' press transcript... to click by yourself here... his of R2 will come soon

http://www.chinaopen.cn/s2006/06mediaen/index.shtml
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #21
country flag alelysafina

alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tosee

Nikolay Davydenko Online

Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #22
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ile Maurice: Davidenko - après l'effort, le réconfort

L'Express (Port Louis)

6 Décembre 2006
Publié sur le web le 6 Décembre 2006

Azmaal Hydoo
Port Louis

En attendant l'Open d'Australie l'année prochaine, le Russe, qui vient d'offrir à son pays une deuxième Coupe Davis, a débarqué à Maurice, hier. Il participera à un match-exhibition jeudi à Petit-Camp.

Nicolay Davidenko et son épouse Irina ont été accueillis hier par Akhtar Toorawa, secrétaire général de la Fédération mauricienne de tennis.
Oracle Content & Collaboration

S'il n'a pas encore le charisme d'un Marat Safin ou la réputation d'un Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Nicolay Davydenko est pourtant bien de la lignée des tsars russes de la petite balle jaune. Un modèle de régularité

Après une superbe année 2006, il a confirmé qu'il était l'un des seuls, avec Rafael Nadal, a pouvoir suivre la chevauchée infernale du maître du circuit Roger Federer, récoltant les quelques rares lauriers que le Suisse a laissé tomber de son escarcelle.

Pourtant, à sa descente d'avion hier, en provenance de Dubayy, on avait du mal à deviner que sous le sourire timide de cet étalon russe de 25 ans se cachait le numéro 3 mondial, qui venait à peine de savourer sa superbe victoire avec l'équipe russe de Coupe Davis, face à l'Argentine (3-2), pas plus tard que dimanche

Dépaysement total pour ce natif de Severodonezk (en Ukraine), vêtu d'un pull noir et d'un jean hier, propulsé du froid de Sibérie au climat tropical mauricien. Mais après avoir consenti tant d'effort cette saison, il a bien mérité un peu de réconfort, accueilli par le secrétaire de la Fédération mauricienne de tennis, Akhtar Toorawa, et Kris Napaul.

Même si on a tout de suite senti qu'il n'était pas une bête des médias, Nicolay Davydenko n'a pas caché son intense émotion et sa joie d'avoir remporté la fameuse Coupe Davis dont rêvent tous les tennismen.

"Aider la Russie à remporter la Coupe Davis pour la deuxième fois de son histoire c'est un grand résultat", explique-t-il. "C'est un grand plaisir d'être à Maurice et je suis déjà très surpris de votre accueil. J'ai hâte de voir comment c'est "

Accompagné de sa femme Irina, qu'il vient d'épouser, et de ses parents, le joueur russe aura du temps pour découvrir notre île puisqu'il logera à l'hôtel Shandrani jusqu'au 22 courant.

Après une année très réussie, Nicolay Davydenko mesure le chemin qu'il a parcouru : "J'ai vécu une grande année 2006, sans doute ma meilleure avec cinq victoires dont les Masters de Paris et enfin la Coupe Davis. J'espère faire mieux l'année prochaine et pourquoi pas me rapprocher de la place de n° 1 mondial."

C'est qu'il n'a pas chaumé notre intéressé ! 69 victoires et cinq titres (à Portschah, Sopot, New Haven, Moscou et à l'Open de Paris Bercy) dont deux finales perdues (Estoril et Batsad), c'est énorme quand on sait que Roger Federer n'a laissé que des miettes à ses adversaires cette année

Un constat s'impose dès lors. Les poupées russes que sont Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and co, après avoir porté à elles seules le drapeau russe à bout de bras pendant des années, ne sont plus seules désormais. "L'équipe russe est très forte en effet", nous répond Davydenko. "Que ce soit chez les hommes ou chez les femmes, nous sommes au sommet."

Pourtant, le tennis masculin a longtemps cherché un second souffle en s'appuyant désespérément sur le génial mais inconstant Marat Safin. Désormais, il a trouvé son métronome en la personne de Davydenko.

Un joueur qui ne joue pas les stars parce qu'il ne paie pas de mine de prime abord, mais qui est très régulier, comme en témoignent cette année ses quarts de finale à l'Open d'Australie et à Roland-Garros, ainsi que sa demi-finale à l'US Open.

Nicolay Davydenko : voilà l'exemple à suivre pour les jeunes loups comme Mikail Youzhny et Dimitry Tursunov, qui a aussi participé à la victoire russe en Coupe Davis (vainqueur avec Safin en double) et qui est également attendu à Maurice jeudi. Un match-exhibition avec Marinne Giraud est prévu jeudi après-midi à Petit-Camp ainsi que des entraînements quotidiens de 11 heures à 13 heures. Mais n'oublions pas que les tsars russes sont avant tout ici pour leur plaisir. La cerise sur le gâteau d'une saison bien remplie.

COMMENT JOUE-T-IL ?

Pour ceux qui n'ont jamais vu jouer Nicolay Davydenko, un simple clic sur le net, sur le site de wikipedia, vous renseignera vite. Il faut savoir que le Russe base son jeu sur "sa rapidité d'exécution : campé sur sa ligne de fond de court, il prend la balle très tôt et fait courir ses adversaires d'un côté puis de l'autre. ( ) Mais le plus impressionnant chez ce joueur, c'est sa résistance, sa faculté à enchaîner les matches et les tournois : il fait en effet partie des seuls joueurs du Top 50 à jouer régulièrement plus de 30 tournois en une saison ! ( ) Fort d'une grande solidité du fond de court, ses seules failles sont son jeu au filet souvent approximatif, et peut-être parfois son service. Cette dernière faiblesse est par ailleurs largement compensée par une qualité de relance exceptionnelle. Nikolay est un joueur polyvalent. Cependant, sa surface favorite reste la terre battue, où il a indéniablement réalisé ses plus beaux matches et surtout remporté le plus de titres".

http://fr.allafrica.com/stories/200612061192.html
It says how very humble he is and they are happy to have him in Mauritius. They called him the russian stalion

He's there with his wife and his parents and they'll be joined by Dmitry later. (Dmitry must have joined them now)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #23
country flag alelysafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
It says how very humble he is and they are happy to have him in Mauritius. They called him the russian stalion

I hope he and Irina are enjoying their honeymoon

Nikolay Davydenko Online

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #24
country flag {Annie}

{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute{Annie} has a reputation beyond repute

Open-Davydenko apologises for Sydney comments

MELBOURNE, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Russian Nikolay Davydenko has apologised for comments he made about last week's Sydney International after pulling out of the tournament through injury.

The world number three, who ground out a routine 6-2 7-5 6-2 victory over Argentina's Sergio Roitman in the Australian Open first round on Tuesday, said he had not intended to criticise the warmup event in Sydney when he described it as "small". He was fined $10,000.

"I made some comments after Sydney International which I now regret," Davydenko said in a statement. "My English is not very good and I didn't mean to say anything bad about the tournament.

"What I was trying to say was that while the Sydney tournament was important my main focus was on the Australian Open and it was wise to stop because of my injury.

"At the time of the press conference I was very worried that my injury would force me out of the Australian Open and I didn't express myself very well.

"I would like to apologise to the tournament organisers and the fans who support the event so well. I now want to focus on doing the best I can in the Australian Open."

Davydenko, the number three seed, cruised through the opening set against Roitman but trailed by a break of serve in the second before fighting back to take it.

The 25-year-old Davydenko, a quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park for the last two years, was never threatened in the third set but wasted two match points before clinching victory with a rasping forehand winner.

"Today was perfect for me," Davydenko told reporters.
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #25
country flag {Annie}

Open-Iron man Davydenko grinds down Berdych

MELBOURNE, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Third seed Nikolay Davydenko wore down Czech Tomas Berdych to seal a 5-7 6-4 6-1 7-6 victory and reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Monday.

Russian Davydenko was outplayed by the 13th seed in the first set but his unerringly consistent game gradually nullified the 21-year-old Berdych and he clinched victory on his fourth match point in exactly three hours.

Berdych saved three match points at 5-6 in the fourth set to force the tiebreak but he made two unforced errors to give Davydenko match point and another mistake sent the Russian through to the last eight.

Davydenko will play German Tommy Haas for a place in the semi-finals.
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
country flag {Annie}

Open-Don't put your shirt on Davydenko

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) - World number three Nikolay Davydenko's search for a clothing sponsor shows no sign of ending despite interest from a Chinese company.

The Russian wore a plain red top provided by his racket sponsor in his Australian Open third-round victory over Fabrice Santoro on Saturday in stark contrast to the logo-laden kits worn by the likes of Chilean world number nine Fernando Gonzalez.

Davydenko was asked at a news conference if any deals were imminent following reports at last year's Masters Cup in Shanghai that a Chinese company was interested.

"At the moment, no," the 25-year-old said. "I will be starting a contract from this year but not with Chinese."

Davydenko, who reached the U.S. Open semi-finals last year usually wearing a plain shirt, is the only player in the world's top 10 without a clothing sponsor.
Igor Andreev
Mitya Torsonoff
Zhenya Korolev

MOHAMED LAHYANI
Old 01-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #27
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q. There was very little in the match as far as stats are concerned. Where do you think you lost it?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think it was -- okay, it was bad luck because I get match point from second serve and he return just fine from baseline. But I don't know what's happened then.

Okay, it was mistake I didn't give chance to play this point. But then he play well. Like by 5-4 he just hit from baseline so fast and I have no chance.

Just I to try to fight just to get control from baseline. But I play slow, pretty slow here. That's why he gets every time coming to the ball and hitting ball make some winners coming to the net.

I have no pressure to him. He make pressure all match. That's why he won in the five sets. But normally should I know why the reason he play very fast in the first set and then second set and third like giving up two sets like this and then fighting start in the fourth set. That's why it was already a little bit different.

Q. How disappointed are you?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Not so much, just because like it was different game. What was different between US Open and here. Yeah, from my side, normally I need to play a little bit more faster. I did so many mistake from baseline. He beat me from baseline. That's why I was surprising.

I need now to more -- now, okay, take rest after Australian Open and just try to consideration for practice for my baseline control and a little bit play more faster, more confidence to get from baseline. Today was different.

Q. So it was to do with the tempo of the game. He had a quicker tempo than you did?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. He was get tempo, yeah, faster. This was for me normally get no chance.

Q. How do you rate his chances in the semis?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know who against he play. Nadal or González, and fighting the same. Nadal play fast from one hand, and Gonzalez also play forehand fast.

They both make good top spin from baseline. Haas should be play if he get good serve and hitting few balls fast he get a chance to winning semis, but not like today, play good one set and then losing easy two sets try and then try to fight in the fourth. Maybe a guy like Nadal doesn't give it. Just trying to winning in the four sets.

Q. What did you make of having Hawk-Eye available on a match point?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally like I try to be risky. I don't know why it's was -- should be try -- you know, I know why I did do mistake. Normally I just return second serve back and then play from, you know, just play baseline.

But at match point I want to make winner from backhand. That's was my stupid mistake. Because I didn't make in the match like I make no return winners in this point.

That's why he hitting to the backhand top spin, and I try to push -- like losing a little bit ball, just try to hit long line. It was stupid from my side.

Q. We're only at the start of a very long year. Do you believe that as the year goes on you can genuinely bridge the gap between yourself and the top two?

visit our archives at www.asapsports.com N. Davydenko - 24.01.07

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Because depends how I start to play tournament and how is my -- how I improve my game. Normally, what I did in -- here in Australian Open I didn't something surprise myself. I didn't something do well from my side. My serve was not great.

Okay, baseline, I always play baseline control. I have guys three round is no special, not like fighting, winning in three sets. And then Berdych playing in the fourth round was like fighting already. Here in Australian Open just come, I don't know, like play only baseline and nothing else.

That's was coming to quarterfinal but didn't improve anything. Just every match think about what I did and what needed to for the next match, how I need to play. I play every match the same, every round. Nothing special. I didn't improve anything in Australian Open for my side.

Q. Did you notice what Tommy was saying after the third set? He was speaking to himself.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uh-huh. I was surprising. I think Haas coming crazy. Speak by self in the match because nobody's talking. He say something, talk, just he talk, he can't play in Australia anymore good and something like this.

I was surprising what he talking about changing games.

Q. Did that irritate you any in any way when you were sitting on your chair and heard what he said?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No. Just only one time he talk too loud. It was surprising.

Q. Just on the rankings, it is important for you, do you believe to protect No. 3 and cut the gap between 2 and 3?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Maybe protect Top 10 is already good, you know, still from my side. Like, okay, it's great if I do Grand Slam result like semifinal, quarterfinal, or final. Then end of a year you just coming to Shanghai and you prove how you play Masters there and what I did. I have Paris, and then I come from No. 6 to No. 3. That's just one weekend only one tournament, and then you have big ranking.

Q. Airness is French?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. It's coming contract I think after -- I think from next tournament, from Marseille.

Q. You are happy with that?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Happy, yeah. I get clothes for free for three years. Yeah, happy.
I liked his last answer.

I didn't know what to make of his answer to "Did that irritate you..?" He said no but then he said it was just that one time when it irritated him . That was definately the turning point of the match, when Haas had that long loud rant.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
country flag lilimi80

lilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond repute

an article from sports illustrated website. i hope it wasn't posted before!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tion=si_latest

No one like Nikolay
Meet Davydenko, underrated No. 3 player in the world
Posted: Wednesday February 21, 2007 10:57AM; Updated: Wednesday February 21, 2007 11:24AM

He's the third-ranked tennis player in the world and yet he could walk around your town for days without being recognized. In fact, he could probably walk around his town for days without being recognized. But that's about to change.

As promised, this week's mailbag (some of it, anyway) will be devoted to Nikolay Davydenko, or Ni-Da, as he's known in hipster circles. To consolidate so many of your questions, we interviewed the guy and tried to get a sense of the man behind the mystique.

The concept "lost in translation" echoes throughout this conversation. But I think you'll agree that this is a man with a q-rating waiting to explode. Nike, Coke, Microsoft, Google, unfurl those endorsement contracts while there's still patch space on the guy's sleeve. The world is on notice: It's Davydenko Time.

SI.com: What would you like people to know about you?

Davydenko: I'm from Russia. I live in Germany most of the time because my brother lives there. I buy a house there, too.

SI.com: You can do better than that.

Davydenko: I like fishing. I was just in Mauritius. I got married last year.

SI.com: You mentioned fishing before your wedding --

Davydenko: I caught a tuna and barracuda, but no marlin. I was fishing every day for three weeks.

SI.com: So congrats on the endorsement with Aimess.

Davydenko: Yes, it's a new company. A new sponsorship for me.

SI.com: This isn't just free gear, right? You're going to make some cash here.

Davydenko: Yeah, I'm gonna make some money! For three years! I still have Prince rackets.

SI.com: When will we be able to buy an Air Davydenko?

Davydenko: What you mean?

SI.com: Is there a shoe endorsement, too?

Davydenko: I can play in whatever I want because [Aimess] doesn't make shoes. I get some shoes from different company. But I have to like the shoes, you know. I can't move in Nikes! The new models, what I get, I don't like them. In Adidas, same. So I try some Filas Dmitry Tursunov gave me. Diadora too. I try different ones.

SI.com: So the No. 3 player in the world isn't buying his own shoes.

Davydenko: I buy if I like them. Normally, every company gives me shoes, I don't have to buy. But sometimes I like the old models and I buy those. Why not? My foot is more important than [free shoes] for me. I don't care. It's important that my feet are comfortable.

SI.com: Who's your best friend out here?

Davydenko: Nobody. I'm with my brother and my wife. That's my team. In tennis, if you're a singles player there are no friends.

SI.com: Are we going to see you play 30-some events this year?

Davydenko: I'm starting not so bad! But we'll see how I feel in the middle, how I finish the clay-court season. If I make big results at Monte Carlo or Hamburg, maybe I rest, play less tournaments. [Pause.] But maybe not.

SI.com: Seriously, what do you think it is? All the players want to shorten the schedule and you want to work overtime. Is it your body, your game?

Davydenko: I like to play. I like to spend time at tournaments. I have no kids. My wife comes with me. This is what I need to do: play tournaments. Why not all those weeks? Especially if my wife is with me, why go home?

SI.com: Does she work with you at all on a professional basis?

Davydenko: She's a psychologist.

SI.com: Right. Do you ever say, "Here's what I was thinking at 5-5 in the fifth set"?

Davydenko: No. Never professionally.

SI.com: You're No. 3 in the world. What do you make of your profile?

Davydenko: Maybe making this interview will help!

Is Davydenko a purist? The man [has few endorsements] and is likable for all his misfired English comment about a tournament that supposedly no one cared about. He is so shortchanged in the tour for years now. For one, during the Australian Open, he got no exposure. Was that a punishment for that one bad tournament comment? I root for him most of the time. He deserves so much better for his dedication.
-- Grace, U.S.

I absolutely agree. At a time when most stars want to play fewer events, here's a guy who plays every opportunity he can. He's completely devoted to his craft. He trains as hard as anyone. He's upgraded his game. If his ranking is perhaps inflated by his sheer industriousness, so be it. The guy works hard and he gets ahead. He's not tanking matches or gaming the system. How do you begrudge him?

As for his exposure, I think there are several forces working against him. First, he's a late bloomer and most companies want Next Big Things, not overachieving veterans. Second, he is, in essence, a man without a country. Third, he has the audacity to speak imperfect English. Fourth, his game isn't particularly sexy, the way, say, Fernando Gonzalez's is. (Still, the guy is the No. 3 friggin' player in the world!)

This would be a good time to mention, too, that the above interview was conducted perhaps 20 minutes after he lost a heartbreaking five-setter to Tommy Haas in the Australian Open quarterfinals. Players aren't good guys and bad guys based on how they respond to media requests, but I think Davydenko's willingness to cooperate and his self-deprecating answers were revealing.

If talent and work ethic are the two primary factors that account for a tennis player's ranking, what percentage of each of those factors would you ascribe to account for Davydenko's ascension to No. 3 in the rankings? What players currently outside the top 20, who have never reached the top three, could attain that ranking if they had Davydenko's work ethic?
-- Scott Humphrey, Austin, Texas

Obviously, work ethic is trumping talent in this case. But I would add "physique" as another factor in Davydenko's success. I don't care about his listed weight, the guy can't possibly tip the scales at more than 160 pounds. We're talking Petr Korda on Atkins. This might compromise his power but he's very light on his feet and, if not immune to injury, at least well-positioned to avoid wear and tear on his body.

Is it true that Davydenko stole Marcos Baghdatis' girlfriend last year?
-- Chris Davis, Boston

That rumor had been floating around last year -- the source has been traced to a dashing British tennis scribe -- and it's completely not true. Maybe it stemmed from this article by Ian Katz of the Sun-Sentinel during last year's Nasdaq:

"When you see Nikolay Davydenko you think, 'This guy's No. 5?' With his fair complexion, triangular face and thinning blond hair, he looks like a computer hacker who gets caught sending viruses from his parents' house. ... That's probably why he was upstaged by Camille Neviere, the girlfriend of Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis, during the first day of practice. ...

"On the court next to Davydenko's, Baghdatis is hitting with 18th-ranked Dominik Hrbaty. Of the 40 or so people sitting in the stands, only one -- Neviere -- is wearing a black dress. Anyone who watched this year's Australian Open on TV would recall ESPN2's love affair with the French model. As Baghdatis and Hrbaty are hitting, some fans are watching the ball move east and west. Other fans, mainly young men, are watching Neviere. Even fewer are watching Davydenko, the fifth-best player on the planet. Davydenko, however, won sweet ironic justice: In a third-round match Sunday, he beat Baghdatis 7-5 in the deciding set."

My girlfriend thinks maybe Nikolay is an unreconstructed Marxist, and he has eschewed the excessive profits of clothing endorsements for political reasons. What do you think? Surely he could have a contract if he wanted one, but he chooses to keep his bankbook in the manageable seven figures.
-- Aaron G. St. Peter, Minn.

First, if you found a girl so into tennis that she's devoting gray matter to Davydenko's political and philosophical leanings, marry her immediately. But if Davydenko is a Marxist, Kafelnikov is a socialist. No one who plays 40 weeks a year and has the attitude, "I need to make my kizz-ash while I can," (we paraphrase) can be accused of being a Marxist. ("We have nothing to lose but our best-of-18 result Dusseldorf.")

Did you know that the name Davydenko is an anagram of "Deny Vodka?" Perhaps this has something to do with Nikolay's training regimen.
-- Matthew, Pretoria, South Africa

Nice. But there goes the likelihood of a Stoli endorsement. And here I thought Martina Hingis' anagram -- I am tarnishing -- was as good as it got.

OK, we return to "normal" questions next week.
[...]

Ivan H. of New York City saw "the guru" and sends this week's long-lost siblings: Davydenko and Paul Bettany. "Ironically, Bettany starred as the unseeded Wimbledon winner. And Nikolay's results on grass have been more than desirable."

lilimi80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #29
country flag alelysafina

Great interview

Thanks for posting it lilimi

Nikolay Davydenko Online

Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #30
country flag lilimi80

lilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond reputelilimi80 has a reputation beyond repute

you're welcome!
lilimi80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote