2004 Australian Open - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2004, 05:45 PM   #76
Mr. Man

Mr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2004 Australian Open

Good Luck against Roger tonight, Lleyton!
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #77
kit

kit will become famous soon enoughkit will become famous soon enough

Good luck Lleyton against Federer, tomorrow!!!
I believe in you, you are such a big fighter.
COME ON!!!!

Wheter she would prefer to see Lleyton or herself in the Wimbledon final,she was asked last year."Lleyton,because I don't like to see him unhappy."(Kim)
kit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #78
country flag Jess

Jess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Lleyts

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
YOU REALLY CAN!!!!!
Jess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 AM   #79
melody

melody is on a distinguished road

Come On Lleyton~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!
melody is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:31 AM   #80
Danni

Danni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Lleyts
Danni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:34 AM   #81
country flag kim4eva

kim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond repute

kim4eva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #82
Mr. Man

Mr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond repute

pffffft at Lleyton getting bageled. Damn. Good Luck next time, man.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #83
country flag loco_moskito

loco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond reputeloco_moskito has a reputation beyond repute

That was not a good game... 6 - 0? But he won the first set, so that's something already...

justcereal.com -- LiveJournal
loco_moskito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #84
kit

Poor Lleyton...
He played not bad, Federer was too good today, I think.
Now he has some time to watch Kim.

Wheter she would prefer to see Lleyton or herself in the Wimbledon final,she was asked last year."Lleyton,because I don't like to see him unhappy."(Kim)
Old 01-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #85
dagmar7

dagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond repute

*feelings of frustration and sadness*

Here's Lleyton's extremely gracious interview. I like the way he doesn't blame anything on the foot fault call. Another sort of up and down match. All those break chances....

. FEDERER/L. Hewitt

3-6, 6-3, 6-0, 6-4

An interview with:

LLEYTON HEWITT

Q. Do you have any feeling about that foot fault?

LLEYTON HEWITT: It's obviously disappointing when you hit an ace and you get a foot fault called on you on a game point, I guess.

But, yeah, I still wouldn't have won the match even if -- at that stage, anyway. I'm not going to take anything away from Roger's win. He was too good tonight.

But, you know, it was obviously, you know, a bit disappointing, the only foot fault I get the whole night, hit an ace off it.

Q. How long did you feel that that took the wind out of your sails? It was obviously just a few games there where...

LLEYTON HEWITT: Probably only hurt me just that one game I think. I think Roger sort of felt a bit of a relief, I guess. Could have been 3-all in that set.

You know, instead, he came out, worked a couple of forehands. There really wasn't much I could do in the next two points.

So, you know, that was the one break for the set there. That sort of set the second set up for him, and, you know, I felt like I had a lot of chances out there tonight. I had a lot of love-30s, I had a lot of breakpoints, especially early in the second set there. I wasn't able to capitalize. Could have easily been up a set and a break. Had a breakpoint in the first game. Had some more later on as well, so...

Q. When he plays like that, does it get to a period where he's untouchable?

LLEYTON HEWITT: He goes through patches where he's pretty good. You got to try and weather the storm as much as possible. I felt like I came out and I was aggressive right from the start, I put a lot of pressure on him. You know, probably just went in my shell there for a couple of games and he was able to step it up and take advantage of that, I think.

Yeah, as I said before, I think I really had to try and get on top of him, you know, early in that second set after I got that first set in the bag. He came up were a couple of big serves, big forehands on those points.

And, yeah, there really wasn't much I could do probably on those breakpoints anyway. I needed to probably get a little bit of a look at a few more second serves, I'd say.

Q. Is this the best you saw him playing?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know about the best. You know, he played in patches tonight extremely well, yeah. I still felt like I had a lot of chances out there, though.

You know, I'm -- it's hard to say that, you know, I guess the semi and final of Wimbledon last year, that was probably as well as he's probably ever played, I'd say.

Q. Can't rewrite history, of course. Do you think with the experience...

LLEYTON HEWITT: Sorry?

Q. We can't rewrite history.

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah.

Q. Sadly for you. But do you think that at the point 5-4, where you could have maybe broken back 5-5, with all the experience of the Davis Cup, that might have changed things?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Well, who knows, mate. If you're 5-all, you got a fighting chance anyway. I can't tell you one way or another.

You know, he made a couple of -- you know, didn't quite go for as much as normal, I think, or as he was earlier in the fourth set, in the third set. That's normal to get a little bit tight under those circumstances. He was playing down the tougher end as well, you know, trying to finish it off.

But to his credit, he came up with some pretty big, big points when he needed to.

Q. Both you and Mark came into this stage of the tournament playing fantastic tennis. Beaten in the fourth round. Hasn't been a happy hunting ground this fourth round of the Australian Open for Australian guys. Any idea what it is about this stage of the tournament that's been so unkind to our players recently, or how important it is putting this particular tournament in your career goals?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I don't know why but, you know, the years that I've made the fourth round, you know, I felt like tonight I gave it a good chance. I played a guy who was too good on the night. Last year was a little bit of a once off, I guess, playing El Aynaoui in the fourth round. I'd take that most times, playing El Aynaoui in a fourth round rather than Federer. But El Aynaoui played a hell of a match. Didn't break serve once.

The time before that, made the fourth round, it was 2000, something like that, it was against Magnus Norman. At that stage he was 3 or 4 in the world. I quite wasn't up to it.

In all those matches for me, personally, there's been reasons, I think, why I've probably lost in this round. But I don't think, you know -- Mark and I both played well, you know. I didn't see much of his match today, but he obviously didn't play as well as he probably could have today and has been playing. I ran into a guy who was too good for me tonight.

Q. How much of a distraction were the fireworks?

LLEYTON HEWITT: It was a little bit. We got told before we went on by Peter Bellinger there was gonna be fire works at about 9:15 for about 10 minutes. They tried to hold them off, but they weren't able to, or something.

It was a lot louder than I thought it was gonna be.

Q. Generally speaking, would you like to see the surface here any different-paced?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, apparently it didn't get resurfaced. Yeah, to me, it probably -- it felt like slower than it was in the September Davis Cup tie. Reasons for that, I don't know, whether it was because we laid a grass court on top of it, I really don't know.

Felt a lot rougher. Felt like the balls were fluffing up a lot more out there the last couple of weeks. You know, I think the disappointing thing is we can't get a surface, you know -- I practiced on Adelaide before I went to the Hopman Cup, then I played in the Hopman Cup, I played in Sydney, I played in Melbourne, and none of them are the same.

I think, you know, Sydney and Melbourne was the biggest difference of all-time. They're the two supreme tournaments in Australia, so...
dagmar7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM   #86
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

I loved that interview.

Pure class all the way.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #87
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Injury could once more play a major role in determining the make-up of Saturday's women's singles final at the Australian Open, with No.2 seed Kim Clijsters admitting last night she would not know until an hour before today's semi-final with Patty Schnyder whether she will be fit to play.

Clijsters aggravated an already-bandaged left ankle early in the second set of her quarter-final victory over Anastasia Myskina. In what has effectively become a fitness test, the Belgian will take to the practice court later this morning to assess her movement and the state of her ankle.

"I'll probably hit around maybe 12pm or 11am, come out first here in the locker room [to] have it taped, see how I go moving around, sidesteps and stuff like this . . . Just little steps to see how it feels. And if that gets the all-clear, then I'll go out on court," Clijsters said after qualifying for a third consecutive semi-final at Melbourne Park.

A nervous Myskina capitulated to the power of Clijsters in the opening set but won the first two games of the second, breaking the 20-year-old's first service game. Clijsters was serving in the third game at 0-2 when she ran towards the net and appeared to stumble. She immediately began to adjust her shoe and called for the trainer at the end of the game.

During the change of ends, her ankle was re-taped, even tighter for additional support. Clijsters said she would ice the joint overnight, take painkillers and get as much rest as possible to give herself every chance of playing.

The Belgian originally suffered the injury during the Hopman Cup in Perth, coincidentally while playing Alicia Molik, who would later suffer a similar fate. Clijsters intended to play in Sydney in the lead-up to the open but decided not to risk aggravating the problem. She has a different attitude this time.

"I don't mind. I am going to have a week off anyway after this," she said. "I might as well go out there and give it my best shot. But on the other hand, if I can't walk tomorrow then it's stupid to go out there.

"But it's something that I'll have to see tomorrow. I'm going to come out here, get taped and see how it's feeling and test it."

Having trailed Myskina 0-4 in the second set, Clijsters was forced to defend two set points at 4-5. But the Russian failed to serve out and her brittle temperament got the better of her. Clijsters was able to take the set to tie-break - but even that had its drama.

Clijsters, desperate to get the match over with, hit out and missed a total of five match points before prevailing 6-2, 7-6 (11-9). Had the match gone to three sets, Clijsters is not sure her ankle would have withstood the extra time on court. It was "very important" to have won in straight sets, she admitted later.

"I think it would have been tough otherwise . . . [but] I'm sure that even if I would have gone through a third set, I would have tried as hard," she said. "I wouldn't do anything differently. I would have tried as hard as I did in that second set. If I had won in three sets, it probably would have aggravated [the injury] even more for tomorrow."

If she is forced to withdraw two hurdles away from a possible first title, it would be another cruel blow for Clijsters at the business end of the open. In last year's semi-final, she led 5-1 and had two match points at 5-2 against eventual champion Serena Williams.

In 2002, she also lost to the eventual winner, Jennifer Capriati, in three sets.

Clijsters leads her head-to-head battle with Schnyder 3-1, and if fully fit would be a warm favourite to progress through to her first final at Melbourne Park.

After several years in the wilderness, Schnyder is again returning to the form which saw her attain the No.8 ranking in 1999. A rare left-hander on the women's tour, Schnyder breezed past American veteran Lisa Raymond 7-6 (7-2), 6-3, another match affected by nerves.

The Clijsters-Schnyder match will be the second semi-final on court today, following top seed Justine Henin-Hardenne's clash with Colombian history-maker Fabiola Zuluaga, the first player from her country to make a grand slam quarter-final. The pair have met just once, in Hobart in 2000, the Belgian winning in three sets.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #88
country flag Jess

Jess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond repute

Scary match

From Herald and Sun internet site.
Lleyton's turn to sweat in stands
Mark Stevens
29jan04

FOR once, the roles were reversed. This time it was Lleyton Hewitt's turn to fidget and sweat from a few rows back.

Kim Clijsters, front and square in the stands for Hewitt's Davis Cup heroics last year, took her turn to put her fiance through the wringer yesterday.
Her quarter-final against Russian Anastasia Myskina had all the drama of a Hewitt special: the comeback, the courage, the crowd involvement.

"I've seen a lot of Davis Cup matches and they have been nerve-racking for me. I thought I might give him back a couple," Clijsters joked afterwards.

The match seemed so predictable with Clijsters leading 5-0 in the first. And it still looked like the Belgian would inflict an early kill when she took the set 6-2.

Then it turned pear-shaped. In a blink, "our Kimmy" trailed 0-4. At 1-4, she called for the trainer. With her left ankle throbbing, Hewitt grabbed his mobile phone.

We'll never know who he was talking too. Maybe calling for help from above. At any rate, it worked.

After a 10-minute injury break and her ankle re-taped, Clijsters emerged re-energised. And it gave time for Myskina to think.

Time to ponder can be mighty dangerous for someone such as Myskina, who likes to hustle between points and play in overdrive.

As much as she denied it later, the Russian seemed to tighten with the sudden realisation that yes, she could win and yes, Clijsters was in trouble.

Suddenly, the ball was in her court to finish Clijsters off -- and quickly. Mentally, she just couldn't cut it.

"I think I lose the match -- this match -- before the match," Myskina conceded.

"I was kind of nervous because I thought I have a good chance to play at least three sets with Kim, maybe beat her."

It was a huge admission that she lost it above the shoulders.

So while Myskina was tightening, Clijsters did a brilliant job of showing she wasn't hurting.

Maybe her serve was affected as the left foot is her launching pad, but the world No. 2 was superb in chasing down the drop shots thrown in to test her.

As with Hewitt conjuring a comeback and riding with the crowd, there was a sense of inevitability that Clijsters would find a way home.

Myskina still managed to get to 5-3 before blowing three set points. She had her chances again to wrap it up in the tiebreak before Clijsters finished it off 11-9.

The second set lasted 64 minutes -- usually plenty of time for Clijsters to blow some poor soul away and be on the rubdown table.

Hewitt raced up the steps after the match and disappeared a relieved man -- maybe sunburnt for the first time watching his fiancee. This was a hard day at the office.

You would think Hewitt can keep the sunscreen at home today. Clijsters, crook ankle or not, should be in for a much easier time against Patty Schnyder.
Jess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #89
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Great article!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #90
kit

Yes, very nice!!!