2004 Australian Open - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #61
dagmar7

dagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Ashleigh. I think the writer was trying to be funny, but it just sounded like he had issues or problems at home. He sounds sort of frightened by Kim's muscles.

Anyway here is today's schedule of play. Lleyton has the night match. Todd Reid takes on Federer first. Poor Todd must be feeling the effects of that last match. Kim is up second on Vodafone with the hotly anticipated Pim Pim/Juan Carlos match fourth and last. Go Lleyton!! Should be a good match. He'll need to cut down on those errors against young Nadal.

Rod Laver Arena

11:00 AM
Start 1. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Todd Reid (AUS) vs. Roger Federer (SUI)[2]
followed by:
2. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Lisa Raymond (USA)[25] vs. Venus Williams (USA)[3]
3. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Mario Ancic (CRO) vs. Mark Philippoussis (AUS)[10]

7:30 PM Start

1. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[15] vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)

followed by:
2. Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)
Todd Woodbridge (AUS)[3]
vs. Petr Luxa (CZE)
David Skoch (CZE)

Vodafone Arena

11:00 AM Start

1. Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Bob Bryan (USA)[1]
Mike Bryan (USA)[1]
vs. Martin Garcia (ARG)
Sebastian Prieto (ARG)

followed by:
2. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Dinara Safina (RUS) vs. Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]
3. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
David Nalbandian (ARG)[8] vs. Wayne Ferreira (RSA)[31]
4. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Joachim Johansson (SWE) vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)[3]
dagmar7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #62
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2004 Australian Open

Richard Hinds --- Kind of gushing over Aussie prospects.

Door open for a new Australian idol

January 24, 2004

Three men and one woman have put the Australian back into the Australian Open. Richard Hinds dares to dream.

Just like the players who refuse to look beyond their next match, grand slam observers learn not to get too excited about what the draw could throw up - and not just when Todd Reid is playing. At the Australian Open, there always seems to be a worthy no-name, an Andrei Pavel or a Dominik Hrbaty, waiting to ambush a potential marquee battle.

Yet, as Mark Philippoussis, Lleyton Hewitt and Reid prepare to perform their Aussie triple act today, you cannot help anticipate the enticing matches that could lie ahead. Most appetisingly, should things go to plan, the second week could bring an encore performance of some recent Davis Cup epics.

If Hewitt beats the 17-year-old Spaniard Rafael Nadal, he will most likely play Roger Federer, the man he beat after trailing two sets to love and 3-5 in the Davis Cup semi-final last September. That is if Federer can overcome the ever-improving 19-year-old Reid, who showed that he had the stomach for the fight and, indeed, the contents of that stomach while surviving a memorable second-round match. Philippoussis plays Mario Ancic, the young Croatian labelled "the new Goran", a reference to his big game rather than any apparent eccentricity. Win that match, then one more, and there is the prospect Philippoussis would play Juan Carlos Ferrero, the man he beat in such dramatic circumstances to clinch the Davis Cup.

There are, of course, many "ifs" in that equation. Ferrero is aching; Philippoussis might first have to get past another Spanish ball machine in Albert Costa should he beat Ancic. But at a tournament where the men's draw has tended to tease and titillate in recent times without providing second-week satisfaction, there is a feeling this year might be different.

Yesterday, in the half of the draw from which most had anticipated a semi-final between Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi, the 2002 finalist Marat Safin emerged as a dark horse. So often cast as a tennis Tin Man, Safin showed unusual heart to beat Todd Martin 7-5, 1-6, 4-6, 6-0, 7-5. Seemingly rejuvinated after a long run with injuries, Safin now plays another American, James Blake. The Russian's brooding presence will trouble the fancied players in his section.

Even the ultra-predictable women's draw produced a mild surprise. Australia's Alicia Molik reached the fourth round for the first time by beating Claudine Schaul of Luxembourg 6-7 (7-4), 6-1, 6-2. That was not an upset by the rankings, just a jolt to those accustomed to the last Australian woman leaving the building before the first weekend.

Molik faces a greater challenge next when she plays the fourth seed Amelie Mauresmo.

Perhaps she can feed off the excitement of the Australian men. While it is 16 years since Pat Cash became the first - and, for now, only - local to play an Australian Open final on Rod Laver Arena, since they won the Davis Cup the Aussie blokes seem to be embracing the challenge of breaking the title drought rather than feeling burdened by it.

It was put to Philippoussis that Agassi looked like he owned the centre court every time he walked out. "I feel great [playing on centre court], don't get me wrong, and I'm from here," he replied. "If it's anyone's house, it's mine."

Philippoussis has received rapturous welcomes before his matches, his already great popularity enhanced by the brave victory over Ferrero.

"I honestly love stepping out on that centre court," he said after beating Fabrice Santoro in the second round. "Like in the first set, you know, the people keep yelling out, 'Come on'. It's almost like I feel bad because of the way I played in the first set, letting them down.

"The crowd is very important to me. I sort of feel like it's my stage, being a showman. We're playing for them, we're out there competing for them, and obviously for ourselves. But especially me playing in Melbourne, where I'm from, where I'm born, it's a very special place for me."

Hewitt should beat Nadal. But you would have written the same thing four years ago about any former world No.1 playing Hewitt. As it is, the match is an indication of the frightening pace at which the game moves. Little Lleyton, with his baggy shorts and cap turned back-to-front, is now the old timer on the comeback trail trying to fend off a precocious kid.

Australia's new prodigy Reid is a beneficiary of the exploits of Hewitt and Philippoussis. When the still relatively unknown Pat Rafter played Agassi in a fourth-round match in 1995, the hype clearly got to him. He lost 6-3, 6-4, 6-0. Now, the fact Reid will step out against the Wimbledon champion is a handy bonus for local fans rather than the unhealthy focus of a national sporting obsession.

"I'm a wildcard, I'm really just here for the experience so far," Reid said.

"Lleyton has been No.1 in the world, Philippoussis made the final of Wimbledon. Obviously there is more expectation about them."

Reid recovered so well from his five-set victory over Sarg Sargsian he attended a players' party the same night he vomited on the Rebound Ace. He did that, he insisted, so he could smuggle in a couple of uninvited mates. He remains fully focused on the Federer match.

Reid is living the mantra. Taking it one match at a time. The rest of us can look ahead to the second week of this tournament with stars in our eyes.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #63
country flag possie

possie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond reputepossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmar7
I think the writer was trying to be funny, but it just sounded like he had issues or problems at home. He sounds sort of frightened by Kim's muscles.
I agree!

Quote:
Anyway here is today's schedule of play.
Thanks for that Dagmar. I do feel for Todd and Pim Pim already ...they have tough opponents.
possie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #64
country flag NOMAD

NOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt caps the lesson
By Greg Baum
January 25, 2004

There were lessons for both players in an enthralling and inspiring match at Rod Laver Arena last night, won 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 by Lleyton Hewitt. For Rafael Nadal, they were about the here and now, as tightening at crucial times in his first centre-court appearance in a major cost him dearly. For Lleyton Hewitt, the lessons were about the future, as 17-year-old Spaniard Nadal showed compatriot Carlos Moya's prediction that he will soon be the world No. 1 was not glibly made. Already, Hewitt knows to avoid the teenager's forehand.

In many ways, Hewitt was challenged by himself of four or five years ago, but taller and darker. At 22, Hewitt already is looking in the face of generational change. The silence that descended on the packed and absorbed crowd at times last night was the sound of future shock. Hewitt needed all his fist pumps, "C'mons", and sundry mutterings to win. "Hell of a player," he said later. "I was expecting a great match, but it was a lot tougher than I expected. I really had to raise my game, and I'm just happy to get through."

Nonetheless, Hewitt is through to the round of 16 - as far as he has ever made it in the Australian Open, his most coveted and least-successful major. Next up is Roger Federer, a fellow veteran at 22, probably on Monday night, in a return of their epic Davis Cup five-setter on the same court last September. If Nadal is the shape of the future for Hewitt, Federer is his destiny now.

advertisement

advertisement

The least Federer knows, and Nadal learnt last night, is that Hewitt will not lose; he must be beaten. Nadal, the youngest of the Spanish armada, is a baby-faced left-hander in a bandana, with an impressive list of victims already in big-time tennis, and a rasping forehand like Adam Gilchrist's square drive. Hewitt knows now to work around it, but lesser players may not be able.

All night, Nadal made Hewitt play one more shot in every rally than usual, and hit a series of startling winners from the back court. Moreover, he showed a willingness to attack the net on occasion that is atypical of the Spanish. But Hewitt is the master of winning by attrition, and of harnessing the power of a partisan centre court, which prefaced the match by standing spontaneously and singing Advance Australia Fair. Hewitt on Saturday night at the Open is becoming a staple.

The least that can be said is the Spaniard brought out the best in the Australian.
Hewitt, unexpectedly, made the more hesitant and nervous beginning. Nadal's uncle plays soccer for Real Mallorca, played for Barcelona and represented Spain in last year's World Cup. For a lad who grew up (as far as he has) dreaming perhaps of the Nou Camp, Rod Laver arena held no fears. He took to the court at a jog, like a soccer player.

This match was a spectacle. There were no 200 km/h serves, but there was much else about which to gasp: touch, placement and desperation to run down every ball. The least that can be said is that the Spaniard brought out the best in the Australian.

Hewitt broke first in each of the first two sets, only for Nadal to break back immediately. Nadal led both tiebreaks 2-0, but made silly mistakes from which he surely will learn. For instance, he should certainly be more discreet henceforth about when to play drop shots against a player, and on a surface, that make them ill-advised.

Hewitt held his nerve, for he is nothing if not born for combat. From 0-2 in the first set tie-breaker, he won the next 12 points. Nadal appeared to slow a little after being treated for a sore knee between the first two sets, and looked to have run out of energy and ideas by the end of the third. But he was scarcely embarrassed.

The match finished with a rally that condensed what was best about it - Hewitt's backhand, Nadal's forehand, each pushing the other, daring the other, until Nadal missed.

Hewitt was warm in his salutations at the net. This night, Australia had its cake and ate it, too, for a local favourite won and a star was born, all in the one match.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #65
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

I posted that in GM. It sounds as if it was the match of the tournament so far!

I am so proud of Lleyton for digging deep and taking his opportunities to win and closing it out in three sets.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #66
country flag Angele

Angele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond repute

Andre Agassi says his coach of two years, former Australian player Darren Cahill, is a mentor for all ages.

"He's coached the youngest No.1 in the world and he's coached the oldest No.1 in the world," Agassi said after his fourth-round win over Paradorn Srichaphan.

"Those stats are hard to argue with."

Cahill coached Lleyton Hewitt, who was the tour's youngest year-end No.1 at the age of 20 years, eight months in 2001.

The oldest No.1 since computer rankings were introduced is Agassi, who reached the top ranking last May at the age of 33 and held that position for 14 weeks.

"Darren has made an incredible difference to my game," said Agassi, now ranked fourth. "He constantly helps me improve by always being aware of the subtleties that make my game tick."

Hewitt came up in conversation between Agassi and on-court commentator John McEnroe after Agassi's win.

Noting that Hewitt and Kim Clijsters were engaged to be married, McEnroe asked Agassi for an assessment of a future match-up between his children with Steffi Graf - Jaden Gil and Jaz Elle - with any of Hewitt's and Clijsters' kids.

"If my son or daughter were to lose that match, 20 years from now, I'll be waiting for (the winner) in the finals or the next round," said Agassi. "I'll still be here."
Angele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #67
country flag Angele

Angele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond repute

I think Johnny Mac was reading the board yesterday during our goober fest
Angele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #68
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

If Agassi is still playing in 20 years I'll have to kill myself.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:39 PM   #69
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Now GO LLEYTON! Spank that Fedex and be done with this nonsense

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #70
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon Lleyton!
Let's go and beat Federer

I'm looking forward to a big match! I hope it will be one.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #71
country flag NOMAD

NOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond repute

2004 AUSTRALIAN OPEN
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

January 24, 2004

L. HEWITT/R. Nadal
7-6, 7-6, 6-2

LLEYTON HEWITT

THE MODERATOR: First question for Lleyton, please.

Q. You were saying out there that you expect a tough match. Was it even tougher than you thought, the young boy tonight?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah. I seen a little bit of his second-round match. He played a lot better tonight than he did in that second-round match, I tell you. He could have very easily been down two sets to one in that match against Ascione, I think, the French bloke. And it wasn't until the other guy started getting a few cramps that he actually got on top of him. He really went up another couple of levels tonight. Yeah, he's a great player. As I said before, you know, all the good stuff you've heard and seen in the past, you know, he's going to be very good in a couple of years.

Q. How far are you from your top form?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I played pretty well tonight, I felt. You know, went hammers and tongs right from the baseline. Didn't move back too much and really attacked right from the word "go." Felt like I hit the ball pretty well the whole night. Even the times I got broken, he played a couple of incredible points to break me. And I was really happy with how I came back in both the breakers. You know, I was down mini breaks early, and I just kept fighting and finding a way to get through those tight sets. Then in the third set, obviously got on top of him early.

Q. How is your injury pulling up?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Pretty good. Feel good at the moment. See how I feel. Tomorrow doesn't matter so much, but I'll hopefully be all right Monday.

Q. It was a good hit-out for you?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it was a good match. Very good match.

Q. What about Federer?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Well, doesn't get any easier, that's for sure. You know, it's going to be a tough match and I've got to go out there and just worry about my game. And hopefully I can get off to a bit better start than I did last time against him a few months ago.

Q. Why do you think you've got such a good record against him?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know. I think we played a lot probably before he was probably at his best, I think. That may be one of the reasons. He got on the tour just a little bit after me, I think, as well. You know, since then, since we've probably both been at our best, we've probably only played a couple of times, I think. Nearly all the matches have been pretty close. We played -- not only this Davis Cup tie, we played a Davis Cup tie in Zurich a few years ago, which was a tight four-set match. The only match I think I lost to him was in Basel in his hometown, in the semifinals of the Swiss indoors, and I lost 7-6 in the third. I think I had match point. We've played some pretty good matches in the past. I've really got to, you know, play some of my best tennis to keep up with him.

Q. Is there any difference at all that this is at a Grand Slam, and you haven't played before at a Slam?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, we haven't. You know, I don't know. It's probably pretty similar to a Davis Cup tie in that the pressure is there for both of us. You know, Round of 16 of a Grand Slam, you know. You can take a little bit out of a Davis Cup tie, I guess. But, you know, I was very fortunate to get out of that match, as well. But, you know, it's the best-of-five sets, like that Davis Cup tie, so there's plenty of time.

Q. Is that the match you remember most with them, the Davis Cup one?

LLEYTON HEWITT: It was the most recent, so...

Q. The one that stands out of the nine?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, for sure. Obviously, I think apart from that other Davis Cup match, when we probably both weren't at our best at that time, apart from that, that's probably the only five-set match I think we've played. Yeah, it definitely stands out. It was the biggest match I think that we both had to play under pressure. You know. It was a hell of an outcome in the end for me.

Q. The role of the crowd in both tiebreaks, what influence did it have on you tonight?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it's great. You know, the crowd not only in the tiebreakers, I think the whole time. They were loud out there. Fanatics really got them going. Awesome atmosphere out there.

Q. Did you organize those seats for the Fanatics tonight?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I think Roger's done most of that with the Fanatics, and with Wozz, helping them out as much as possible.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about how a crowd can help a player through a match?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, crowds obviously, you know, if you use them the right way, you get an atmosphere like we've had tonight, then it's always a positive, I think, and you can draw a lot of positives out of it and try and use that positive energy in a good way. Then again, you know, there's some times when you feel maybe the expectation of playing in front of a big crowd going for you, as well. I've played some of my best matches in Davis Cup away from home when you've got to block out the whole crowd and just concentrate on what you're doing. There's positives and negatives for both ways. I still think it's a lot easier to go out there and concentrate when the crowd's all with you.

Q. The fourth round is where you got to last year, and fell against Younes. Will that play on your mind at all?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, not really. Younes was too good last year. He played a hell of a match. You know, I only lost my serve once for the whole day and I didn't break him in the whole match. There's not too many matches I can't recall when I haven't been able to break a guy once in four sets. I just had to live with that and, you know, I guess it was easy to get over that match, a little bit easier, because I knew it was a little bit out of my control. I felt like I played a pretty good match for most of it. Maybe just didn't take a couple opportunities when they popped up. But I won't be worrying about that on Monday.

Q. Did you get a chance to watch Todd's match against Roger?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I watched a little bit on TV before I went out to hit the balls out the back there. Actually saw him go up a break. Came in, and he was finished. Poor old Todd I think was a bit tired today.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #72
country flag NOMAD

Hewitt to 'lift or perish'
By Leo Schlink
January 26, 2004

LLEYTON Hewitt declared yesterday he must reproduce his finest tennis or perish in an Australian Open blockbuster tonight against Roger Federer, the Swiss genius Pat Rafter has called the most complete player in tennis.

Hewitt during his 4th round win over Rafael Nadal.

Hewitt will play Wimbledon champion Federer for the 10th time - looking for his eighth win against the world No.2 and an Australian Open quarter-final berth.

"It's probably one of the toughest round of 16 matches you could get at a slam," Hewitt said. "Roger's a talented player on any surface, I look forward to the challenge, though.

"It's obviously a huge match-up for both of us. The one person who comes through has got a good chance in the quarter-final match.

"I've just got to worry about this one. It's going to be a tough match. I wouldn't expect anything less."

Hewitt, seeded 15th, is yet to go past the fourth round in seven previous attempts.

Federer has also failed in four tries to reach the quarters.

US Open and Wimbledon winner Hewitt has beaten Federer in seven of nine matches - most recently in an epic Davis Cup semi-final - but the South Australian pays only scant heed to that record.

"I think we played a lot probably before he was probably at his best," Hewitt said.

"Since we've probably been at our best, we've probably only played a couple of times.

"Nearly all the matches have been pretty close. I lost to him once in Miami and the only other match I lost was in the semi-finals of the Swiss Indoors and I lost 7-6 in the third. I think I had match point.

"I've really got to play some of my best tennis to keep up with him. He's one of the best players out there so I've got to concentrate on playing my game."

Hewitt has not faced Federer since giving the right-hander a huge start - Federer served for the match at 5-3 in the third set - to win the Davis Cup semi-final 5-7 2-6 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 6-1 at Rod Laver Arena in September.

The Australian described it as possibly the best win of a career including 75 successive weeks as world No.1 and 20 singles titles.

But Hewitt has no doubts over what he needs tonight.

"I think you've got to go out there and play one of your best matches to come away with a win against a guy who's won the Masters Cup just a few months ago and played well for Switzerland in Davis Cup as well," Hewitt said.

"All the top players are that close, you've got to perform on the day. There's no bunnies going through to the round of 16 in a slam.

"He [Federer] doesn't have too many off days now. He's that good a player that he can lift for the bigger matches as well. In the past, I've done that as well."

Hewitt, 22, was delighted with his 7-6 (7-2) 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 win over Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal, and Federer could not have been more impressive in his 6-3 6-0 6-1 win over Sydneysider Todd Reid.

"Well, it doesn't get any easier, that's for sure," Hewitt warned of the Federer match and a road to the final now also blocked by David Nalbandian or Guillermo Canas and then Mark Philippoussis, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Andrei Pavel or Hicham Arazi.

"Hopefully I can get off to a bit better start than I did last time against him a few months ago."

Hewitt and Federer will meet for the first time tonight in a grand slam event - a statistical oddity that shows the depth in the men's game.

Of all the wins Hewitt has posted against Federer, the most recent is understandably the most vivid - and relevant.

"You can take a little bit out of a Davis Cup tie, I guess," Hewitt said.

"I was very fortunate to get out of that match. It's best-of-five sets, like that Davis Cup tie, so there's plenty of time.

"It [the Davis Cup match] definitely stands out. It was the biggest match I think that we both had to play under pressure. It was a helluva outcome in the end for me."

Federer, still without a coach after dispensing with Swede Peter Lundgren, is yet to drop a set in three matches.

And Pat Rafter, for one, thinks he has no weaknesses.

"He's the most complete player I have ever seen," he said. "There is no glaring weakness. Roger has every shot in the book and there is no other player that has that. He's got the ability to blow anyone off the court."
Old 01-25-2004, 04:00 PM   #73
country flag NOMAD

video interview after the match with Nadal

video link
Old 01-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #74
dagmar7

dagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, Tara.

Great win over Nadal, who has kind of won me over with his inspired play. *places toe on the bandwagon--lol*

Linda Pearce discusses Lleyton and Mark's chances...good luck, Lleyton.

Will it be Australians' day?
By Linda Pearce
January 26, 2004

Roger Federer takes a 10-hour advantage into tonight's Australian Open fourth-round match against Lleyton Hewitt, but also a compelling reason to fear being mown down from behind. As much as Federer insists he has not been haunted by Hewitt's inspired September comeback in the Davis Cup semi-final, they are powerful images, difficult to forget or ignore.

Federer told The Age recently he was not concerned by his fade-out as much as had been assumed, for he had completed a fine opening win over Mark Philippoussis and then played five sets of doubles the next day while Hewitt lounged about with his feet up. Nor, Federer insisted, did he cost Switzerland its first Davis Cup finals appearance, for the chances of Michel Kratochvil defeating Philippoussis in the fifth rubber were remote.

But what Federer cannot deny is the fact Hewitt has beaten him seven times out of nine - none on the grand slam stage - the most recent on Rod Laver Arena from a deficit of two sets and 2-5.

That was less than three months after Federer claimed his first Wimbledon title with an acclaimed display that contrasted with Hewitt's humiliating first round against Ivo Karlovic.

"I played well in Davis Cup and also here now," Federer said after his third consecutive straight-sets rout, over Australian wildcard Todd Reid on Saturday.

"I'm looking forward. It's a good match-up. We've got two totally different games. He's got a much better record against me, so that's his advantage. But, you know, hopefully I can use something else.

"We have always had very tight matches. You know, even though I've beaten him twice, one time I beat him I saved match point. Could be also 9-1.

"On the other side, it could also be 5-4, 5-all, whatever. We've always had tight matches and physically tough, I always thought: Shanghai, Davis Cup, all the other matches. So, (I'm) looking forward to it."

Hewitt's patriotic fires will be burning on Australia Day, but Federer has the advantage of an easier lead-in. Federer disposed of Reid almost 10 hours before Hewitt walked away from Saturday night's testing 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 defeat of Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal. There is no question whose form has been more impressive, though the quality of Hewitt's opposition has probably been higher.

Nadal did not win a set, but it was effectively a match between equals, and the rising star told the Spanish media afterwards he believed he had been close to winning. Not a set, the whole match, he insisted, and blamed the Hewitt forehand on the fact that he did not.

Earlier on Saturday, Federer's forehand had dismantled Reid, and the second seed's next Australian opponent well knows what to expect as he attempts to reach his first Open quarter-final in eight attempts.

"Doesn't get any easier, that's for sure," Hewitt said. "Hopefully I can get off to a bit better start than I did last time against him a few months ago."

Both were asked to explain the resounding 7-2 record. If Federer knew why, he said with a smile, it would be different. Hewitt, meanwhile, quite graciously suggested his first few wins had come before Federer, who is six months younger and started and matured slightly later, had reached his peak.

"Since we've probably both been at our best, we've probably only played a couple of times, I think," Hewitt said. "Nearly all the matches have been pretty close. The only match I think I lost to him was in Basel . . . in the semi-finals of the Swiss indoors, and I lost 7-6 in the third. I think I had match point. I've really got to play some of my best tennis to keep up with him."

Mark Philippoussis's best tennis should be enough to overcome the wickedly talented but unreliable Hicham Arazi in the preceding match on Rod Laver Arena. Arazi outplayed Albert Costa in four sets to reach the Open's fourth round for the third time. Philippoussis has come this far three times, but unlike Arazi, has never gone further.

The local 10th seed is expecting Arazi to stay on the baseline, rally and run all day. "For me, it's important not to get pulled into that sort of play," Philippoussis said. "I think I'll try and keep the points short, chip and charge when I can, just put the pressure on them. If they pass me all day, it's just too good."
dagmar7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #75
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

I love this picture of Lleyton.