Is Roddick ready to dominate? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
RealityRyan

RealityRyan is on a distinguished road
Question Is Roddick ready to dominate?

Men's tennis as of late has been full of parity. It's not the like the tennis of the 80's/early 90's or even like the current WTA circuit, where two or three players dominate.

Players like Roger Federer, David Nalbandian, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Andre Agassi and of course, Andy Roddick head the top. At any tournament it is uncertain who will win...there is no giant or giants. Whereas, on the women's side of things, when the Williams are healthy it certain they will make it to the finals.

Other players such as Justine Hennin Hardenne or Kim Clijsters have challenged the Williams. That is the top for the women; it would be rare if any of those players went out before the semifinals. On the men’s side of things any of those afore mentioned top players may or may not even make the semis, it's all up in the air.

On the Women's side of things two players won all the Slams (Serina, Justine). This year on the ATP side of things no man won more than one Slam. With Agassi, Ferrero, Federer and Roddick winning one Slam each.

So who will it be on the men's side, who is read to dominate, is it the crafty Spaniard, the Amazing American, The Experienced Veteran , or the Swedish fish?

I believe Roddick is ready to dominate, this year he will win the majority of the slams and only go out in the semis or finals of the ones he doesn't win. He is the only player with weapons to dominate on every surface. A-Rod has a big serve, a powerful baseline game, and the ability to rush the net. Roddick has the talents to dominate on Clay, Grass, Hard Court, and the softer indoor courts. If you look at the other Slam winners you will see reasons why they cannot truly dominate...

- Ferrero: Will never win on grass, his game is too one-dimensional. J.C. has an inability to attack the net, which makes his game predictable and beatable. Unlike Agassi, who moved gradually in the court to finish points, Ferrero will almost never abandon his shelter; the basline. Also, with a weak serve like he has, it unlikely he could dominate on any surface but clay.

- Federer: On the other hand, won't ever win on clay with a game based primarily on serve and volleying with those killer drop shots, you can forget about “ole' Paris” for Rodger. Rodger has also shown mental lapses as of late letting by not putting opponents away and or waiting until he is really behind to play his best game. It almost seems like he has cruise control on for the first 1 and a half sets. (Watch the Roddick vs. Federer T.M. Montreal match)

-Agassi: Has proven he can win on any surface. Agassi is fading and retirement looms for Andre but, he's still a favorite to win any slam this year.
RealityRyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Andy will be lucky to make the qrts at the French. Roger has done great on clay in Europe and knows how to play on it and was at the RG qrts in 01. He is an all courter not just a serve and volley player. You don't make it to two clay master finals if you can play on the stuff. Betting on Roger to tank matches as a way of holding him back might not be the best course of action when it comes to placing your bets. Although betting that he chokes well that still looks promising but still not a given. Andy will win the other slams though at some point in his career just not the french. Andre doesn't need to do anything anymore to prove anything and JC will continue to get better. I could see him winning OZ and the Open too.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Roddick ready to dominate?

"Swedish fish"? Hmm, forgive me for not taking your opinions too seriously when you can't even get his nationality right. And however he may develop in the future, saying that at present Roddick has the game to dominate on clay is laughable.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

...ya, I was trying to figure out who's that swedish fish too and roDger???

Honestly you probably had watched tennis as much as I had...but you're brave enough to come out with thread and analysis such as this among others here who seem to have lived watching tennis since they're born...
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

Federer won´t ever win on clay?!? His game is not only based on serve and volley. He has tremendous groundstrokes as well. He has already won several clay titles, among those Masters Series Hamburg in astonishing fashion. Of course he has something to prove in Paris, but I think he´s much more capable of winning the French than Roddick ever will be.
amethyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome RealityRyan! Thanks for your analysis. True, there is that one geographical error, but at least you didn't say Swaziland.

It is a big ???, whether Roddick will continue at the same level this year. I hope he will.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #7
Nacho

Nacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond repute

That is quite a controversial post. Andy has NOT the skills to dominate on clay... he can win small titles, but not the big ones (well at least so far)
Nacho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
RealityRyan

Cool Switzerland Sweden same place. Good Chocolate...

The player with the most talent and raw ability is Roger Federer. He makes some of the most amazing shots on tour and has some really quick reflexes. All of the top players on the tour including Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi admit he is game is the best on tour.

If you watch sports long enough you realize two things; for one, the most gifted player doesn't always win, and two great coaching makes winners.

Roger might have the best raw skills but he can't consistently produce. If Roger plays his “A” game at Wimbledon, then and only then will he beat Roddick. Federer hasn't consistently done that and Roddick is a much-improved player from last year. Don’t expect straight sets again. Andy has grown so much in his shot selection, controlling emotions and net skills.

Don't be surprised if Roddick still beats Federer's "A" game at Wimbledon. This has do with the second part of this equation; Brad Gilbert. This man, during his pro career was known as the "giant killer' because his game was small but he played so smart he could take down a player with giant game. Brad beat some of the best players on the tour in his day Becker, Chang, Agassi, Jonny Mac, and etc. He also coached Agassi from 100+ in the world to number 1, collecting one grand slam trophy after another along the way. This is Roddick's ace up his sleeve, no pun intended. This is the reason why Roddick will dominate; he has the best coach in the game, even if he is just "winning ugly"....

Oh I forgot to mention....Federer fired his coach, Peter Lundgren, and is likely to go to the AO un coached. Ouch!! That may mean trouble for the Swiss cheese...

Last edited by RealityRyan : 01-13-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
RealityRyan

Default Federer on clay better than A-rod....hmmm..no

Is everyone forgetting that Andre Agassi won on clay? He's not a clay courter but, his game was so simple and versatile he could. I expect to see Roddick do well well on clay for two simple reasons. The kick serve that he has will take an extra high bounce, it won't have the speed that it would on hard court or grass but, a weapon none the less. Roddick's baseline game is good enough to rival any clay courter. That mean's you Coria!! He went out early last year but, that's a coaching problem. Now that A-Rod is with one of the hottest coaches on the ATP tour, expect him to dominate...

Federer, yea, he's won some Clay tournaments but, who cares? Sampras won some too...Federers is not a net rusher like Pete but, he doesn't have the baseline game to contend with any of those Spaniards.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer on clay better than A-rod....hmmm..no

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityRyan
Roddick's baseline game is good enough to rival any clay courter.

Federer .... doesn't have the baseline game to contend with any of those Spaniards.
Um, maybe you got the names swapped around there?
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #11
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
- Ferrero: Will never win on grass, his game is too one-dimensional. (...)
are you fugging kidding me? Juan Carlos and a one-dimensional game?
(nevertheless, I agree with you that Ferrero will probably not win any big events on grass at this time)

Quote:
Roddick's baseline game is good enough to rival any clay courter.
good joke, dude!
LMAO... Roddick's baseline game is not good enough for the best baseliners! ... forehand is superb if he hits it, but his backhand and his footwork/movement on the court sucks... watch for Andy being outgunned by the best baseliners at the French Open

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 01-13-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:07 AM   #12
Nacho

Nacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond reputeNacho has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has had much better results on the big claycourt tournaments (Montecarlo, Rome, Hamburg & the French) than Roddick, so who in the world would say Andy is a better baseliner??

oh yes, a Roddick fan
Nacho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Is Roddick ready to dominate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Federer has had much better results on the big claycourt tournaments (Montecarlo, Rome, Hamburg & the French) than Roddick, so who in the world would say Andy is a better baseliner??
I agree with you!!

I really respect Andy and his results/his game, but claiming that Andy's baseline game is one of the best out there s nothing but a frigging joke to me...

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:44 AM   #14
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Who wrote this bullshit!!!!! Roddick will dominate. Who is this asshole. They must know nothing of tennis. Since when is Roddick the all court stylish player, & since when can Federer ONLY serve & volley!!!! Roddick, as of now will be lucky to get to the QF of RG. Im sure Andy fans are worshipping whoever wrote this. Swedish fish??? He's swiss, not swedish!!! Since when does roddick have a superb baseline game & can rush the net & volley like Federer or Henman. I have never, EVER seen an idiot like you on these boards, i will admit!!! Federer wont beat Roddick even with his "A" game. Go **ck yourself, just so i dont die of anger & laughing. Federer has much better clay results, & can actually win RG! Ferrero is not 1 dementional like Roddick. Have you seen roddicks, movement, BH, Volleys, footwork. Im afraid you are beyond help, my friend!!!
Fedex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #15
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

God, have you even watched a tennis match?? If you have, Id be suprised, with your so far off anaylisis of Federer and Roddick. Please leave & never come back, your a discrace to a Tennis fan!!
Fedex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote