~*~ OLIVER MARACH (AUT) ~*~ - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #61
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~*~ OLIVER MARACH (AUT) ~*~

Nimi (MTF poster) was at the kitz tourney, and had this to say...

Quote:
Suk/Marach d Damm/Pala 7-6 (7) 6-4
I really only wanted to see this match due to Cyril Suk, the most ancient player on tour. Agassi is a child next to him. He looks younger than, say, Sanguinetti, but he'll be forty years old at January. He is not a bad player, though Marach did most of the work. Damm and Pala are really quite boring, Damm is a little bit more impressive, but Pala looks like he's working at an office... When you realise that these guys are two of the world's highest ranked doubles players, you can understand why doubles is not a huge success. Either way, Austria will have a tournament winner - either Marach or Koubek.
Quote:
Kohlschreiber/Koubek d Suk/Marach 6-2 6-3
This match was the warm-up for the real final, as far as the crowd was concerned, but it was a really fun match. Ancient Suk was really interesting, as this is a guy who reached his highest singles rankings the year I was born! His technique is quite speciel, it's nice to watch. He also hit some nice volleys, but most of his first serves were hit below the 140 kmph mark, that is really slow!

Marach was pretty good, but nothing really speciel, he was tow to tow with Koubek on the long court, but couldn't live with Kohlschreiber on the cross court. Koubek wasn't really at his best today, after that amazing preformance in the semi-final, and Kohlschreiber was the best player on court by miles, he was so great to watch. There were a couple of points that made the crowd go crazy - both of them were made out of long net-rallies and finished with Kohlschreiber hitting an amazing cross-court passing shot on the run.

The Austrians got their wish - a local champion, and who's better to fill that spot than Koubek, the veteran?
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #62
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Guzman df Marach 63, 76(3).

Help me. I'm thinking along the lines of 'well, it's only a challenger result...who cares!'. Ah well... don't let it happen again. This is not the way into the top 75

Andrew, who is it in your avatar? Reminds me a bit of Jaslyn Hewitt, but I think that's unlikely...maybe that British girl? It's slightly disturbing for me

EDIT: Guzman won a title last week, defeating Vinciguerra. Makes me feel a bit better

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson

Last edited by Kristen : 08-09-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: New (old!) information.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #63
country flag Super-Fabio

Super-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond reputeSuper-Fabio has a reputation beyond repute

Oliver
Super-Fabio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #64
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics Kristen!
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #65
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Glad you enjoyed them (I'm glad Sopot had a decent photographer!)

This week he's (hopefully) in New Haven, for the Pilot Pen tournament. First, though, he needs to defeat Michael Berrer (GER) in the final qualifying round. He's the second match on (after a WTA match at 10am) so light shouldn't be an issue for him

Old 08-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #66
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

US Open
Oliver Marach (AUT) vs Justin Gimelstob (USA)
If he can win this, he probably plays David Ferrer. I expect Oli would be able to defeat Gimelstob, but I expected Berrer to lose in New Haven too

(15)Oliver Marach/Cyril Suk (AUT/CZE) vs Yves Allegro/Daniele Bracciali (SUI/ITA)
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 AM   #67
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully he can at least win a couple of doubles matches, Good Luck to Oliver at the USO!

Last edited by TMJordan : 08-30-2006 at 09:13 PM.
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #68
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

woohoo!
Quote:
Austria leads its World Group Play-off tie against Mexico 1-0 after Oliver Marach fought off a strong challenge from Bruno Echagaray to run out a 62 46 76(4) 63 winner in a match that lasted over four hours.

Love this last one!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #69
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Sweet pictures. He looks so happy...and it's great to see Captain and Player embracing like that Fingers crossed for the Austrians, and that Jurgen can win #2 to put them in a good position.

Last edited by Kristen : 09-22-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #70
country flag MightyJurgenfan

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen

Sweet pictures. He looks so happy...and it's great to see Captain and Player embracing like that Fingers crossed for the Austrians, and that Jurgen can win #2 to put them in a good position.
Any pictures of Jurgen's win? I could not find them.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #71
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Yep, added some photos to the DC thread, but I think you might have these ones already...

Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #72
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

An article from the DC site...re. Day 1.
Marach overcomes Mexican in marathon
Quote:
Austria’s Oliver Marach overcame nerves to defeat the Mexican No. 1 Bruno Echagaray 62 64 76(4) 63 in a four-hour thriller in the first match of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Play-off tie at the Werzer Arena in Portschach.

Marach playing his first live rubber
As Echagaray had pointed out already, whatever the statistics said on paper was irrelevant to the battle that might unfold on court. For Marach, this match was always going to be a tough experience, the Austrian having returned to Davis Cup after three years to play his first live rubber and face the pressure of securing the all-important first point for his country.

Marach was facing a player he thought he knew very well, but the aggression from the Mexican was new territory for the 26-year-old from Graz. “Echagaray was one of the best juniors and I remember playing him back in the 2004 Mexico Futures tournament. I thought I knew his play, but of course this can change,” said Marach.

Marach had an evidently nervous but lucky run in the first set, breaking the Mexican immediately and taking the first four games to deny Echagaray any place in the match, despite a clear determination from the Mexican to fight for every point.
Echagaray’s aggression was obvious from the outset, engaging in long rallies and pushing his opponent to deuce on most occasions, before an unforced error gave Marach the advantage and ultimately the first set.

Second set to Echagaray
It could have gone the same way in the second, but Echagaray by this time was on top of his game and starting to show signs of playing like a Top Ten player, both mentally and physically, which troubled Marach. Whatever the Austrian gave his opponent, he received it straight back ten times harder. Play started to get more dirty and Marach had to rely on mixing the game up with soft shots that weren’t always that confident, teasing the ball over the net and often looking up to the skies for forgiveness.

“Oli wasn’t aggressive enough. His nerves were up and down and he kept pulling his opponent back into the game,” said captain Thomas Muster on Marach’s loss of the second set.

There was further bad luck for Marach when he had to call the trainer for treatment on his calf. “I have been on a special fitness programme for the past two weeks,” he said. “So when I got sore in my leg, that made me even more nervous.”

Tiebreak hands third set to Austria
Once again, the third set began the same way, Austria breaking first and Mexico stealing the game straight back. The turning point of the match came with the hosts leading 5-4 and 40-30, when a bad forehand volley from Marach fell a foot short of the net, a choice of shot that must have come out of sheer desperation. He chose the same unforgiving shot at 5-5 which he fortunately recovered, thanks only to an error from Echagaray.

The Austrian crowd held their breath at the beginning of the third set tiebreak, when Echagaray took the first two points after two forehands from Marach sailed over the baseline. At 2-3, Marach made the same error but out of nowhere pulled the tiebreak back to 4-all, at which point he yelled “Come on!” and punched his fist, breathing a huge sigh of relief.

“I thought I could lose at some point, of course, and that tiebreak was the moment,” Marach later said.

The match sailed away from Echagaray in the fourth set, battling against a 4-0 lead for Marach. The Mexican was struggling with soreness, after also receiving treatment from his trainer. But just as he had throughout the match, Echagaray held on to save three games from Marach before going down on the third match point for the Austrian.

Thomas Muster is not yet full of confidence that Austria will go on to win this tie. “The win was okay, just okay. I told the guys it’s going to be difficult. Look at the results in Germany and Russia, it doesn’t always go the way you think it does.”

Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #73
country flag MightyJurgenfan

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute

Was sorry that Oliver could not win today in Palermo. He lost to Almagro 1-6, 4-6. Must admit Almagro is playing very well now and Oliver could need time for himself after the Davis Cup.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #74
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

"This means nothing to me.... ohhh Viennaaaa!"

I have just changed my myspace name to 'Oli is killing me'.
He is playing Rainer Eitzinger. I've seen some good results from him in some events this year, but when I saw him play, it was painful to watch. So, although he beat Oli recently, I figured he could kick ass anyway.

Not so.

Rainer won the first set 6-2, then midway through the second (i think) Oli broke. It got back to 5-all, which is when I started to really get annoyed. Oli broke again to take it 7-5.

Oliver plays with Cyril Suk again, against Coetzee and Wassen. It could be difficult, but they make a good team. Fingers crossed. I don't want to be singing 'Vienna' in the morning.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #75
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

There IS a Tennis God.
2-6, 7-5, 7-6. But please... no more 3 setters. Leave that irritating to Jürgen. I can tolerate it from him now. I do feel bad for Rainer though. I am delighted for Oli, but Rainer is nice.

But...three sets... that score... ugh! Who is this tennis player!? Oliver Marach, or Todd Reid (Can't think of anyone really crap that I like right now). Fingers crossed for the next round. He will certainly need some luck.