** Andre News Articles & Interviews !! ** - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #121
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** Andre Articles & Interviews !! **

AP Agassi losing fight
against Father Time

Kevork Djansezian /

8-time Slam champ withdraws from Wimbledon due to chronic nerve condition
A chronic nerve condition could very well prompt Andre Agassi to retire before the end of the year, says Bud Collins of NBCSports.com.
COMMENTARY
By Bud Collins
NBC Sports
Updated: 2:50 p.m. ET June 15, 2005LONDON - Andre Agassi has outlived his time as a major champion, and his attempt to battle on as tennis’ most popular entertainer at least until the end of the year is looking less promising after his debilitating sciatic nerve condition forced him to pull out of Wimbledon.

Painful to play
Agassi is a former Wimbledon champion whose appearance would have meant the most to fans at the All-England Club. But he won't be making it to his 14th major on the lawns in London and that is sad.

Agassi won Wimbledon in 1992 and was runner-up in 1999.

But the inflamed nerve in his back has not responded to treatment as Agassi had hoped after he was an almost immobile first-round loser to Jarkko Niemenen at the French Open.

Perhaps it's all over for Agassi, but I hope not.

Numerous sporting legends have played beyond their time and the 35-year-old Agassi is approaching that precipice. But despite being hampered by the painful sciatic nerve, he is trying not to quit until he is satisfied that all his opportunities for major crowns have dried up.

It was difficult to watch the 1999 French Open champion limp through the last two sets of his 7-5, 4-6, 6-7, 6-1, 6-0 loss to Nieminen at Roland Garros.

Agassi was a near corpse out there, dragging his throbbing right leg around and unable to get any push off on his shots. When he was leaving the court, Agassi choked back tears of emotion and anguish.

He’s taken a cortisone shot in hopes that it will pull him through the rest of the summer, but he’s only masking his pain and even he knows that the shot might not get him through the rigors of two weeks at the U.S. Open.

He’s living at the end of a hypodermic needle, which isn’t a place an eight-time Grand Slam champion wants to be.

The American legend has been suffering from a nerve injury in his back for the past two and half years, which also creeps into his right hip and leg. He’s been visiting chiropractors that have tried to push his bones away from the inflamed nerve, but it only appears to work for a short amount of time.

Surgery not in the cards
Agassi doesn’t want to be operated on and then try to come back at age 36 next year so this season might well be all he has left in his magnificent career.

Agassi wants to go out in the top 10, not as a suffering, broken down man falling out of the top 50. That’s why he’s hoping the cortisone will enable him to get one more whiff of glory at the U.S. Open.

As he showed earlier this year at the Italian Open when he reached the semifinals, Agassi is fine in best two-of-three-set matches. Had his Paris match against Nieminen been that, he would have been able to shuffle off the court yelling, "Doctor, Doctor!" and get another shot of cortisone to help him through the rest of the French fortnight.

But unfortunately for Agassi tennis in the Grand Slams is best three out of five sets and for the man who just set the Open-era record with 58 appearances in majors, no one knows that better than him.
Decision time nears
Agassi has yet to comes to terms with what his life will be like after tennis. While his wife, former champion Steffi Graf, and his two kids may want him to stop now, he still defines himself as a player.

"It's what I do until I don't do it any more and it's given me a lot. I'll assess the necessary components at the end of the year," said Agassi. "But I can't afford to pollute the potential of my winning matches or tournaments with sitting on the fence, with where I am, what I'm doing, why I'm doing it.

"Some things you have to question; other things you have to not question. You have to just put your head down and work. So I don't use every day as an opportunity to second guess myself, as easy as it is sometimes. I choose to put my head down and work and look at it at the end of the year."

Leaving on his terms
I agree that Agassi needs to take a hard look at his career at year’s end. It’s unlikely he’ll make the Masters Cup so we could see Agassi retiring after the U.S. Open.

Agassi has become such a popular figure worldwide through his play, words, wisdom and charitable work that it will be nearly impossible for him to spoil his legacy.

But he can’t just keep flailing at windmills when it comes to fighting Father Time because 19 years after he made his pro debut at Stratton Mountain, Vermont, his body is clearly telling him that it needs a rest.

He may be able to drag it up the mountain one last time this summer, but unless they come up with a miracle cure for a touchy nerve and worn down bones, he’ll need to rest it in 2006.

Graf knew when it was time to quit in 1999 after she could no longer stand pain.

Agassi will likely soon come to that conclusion too, but he hopes not until he walks away the way he wants: competing hard for one last major title and leaving the court with his head held high.
© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

Andre Agassi forever
Gigan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #122
country flag mimifrench

mimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond reputemimifrench has a reputation beyond repute

mimifrench is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #123
country flag juliehardwick

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute

A replacement for the AA forum on the out of action peoplesforum is here:

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=10714
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #124
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: ** Andre Articles & Interviews !! **

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
Rogi actually said this? For shame, Roger He gets a raspberry from me for this one

''I regard Hewitt, Roddick, Safin and now Nadal as the big dangers at Wimbledon. You normally have to include Andre Agassi but I've beaten him so often lately that I feel more confident against him nowadays." -- Roger Federer, on who his biggest obstacles at Wimbledon will be.
I hate the way Federer said. I think at lease he should "include" that Hewitt too. Doesn't he always beat him and even give him bagel?

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:14 AM   #125
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute

this article was written by "stupit" reporter to make the win of his Hennman more valuable...
he tried to compare no-name player with our great Andre...

June 21, 2005Slow this down
I’m completely confused by all the talk about slowing down the game at Wimbledon.

No respect

Even in defeat to Tim Henman, Jarkko Nieminen should have gained some required respect from the tennis community. This guy is not only a very good player, but he was outplaying Andre Agassi at the French Open when Agassi’s back went out.

Jark the Shark never got his due at the French, however. Agassi’s loss was blamed on his sciatica and, while there’s no guarantee that Jark would have won that match if Agassi was fit, he was the better player when Agassi starting hurting (can you imagine, fans ???
i posted my comments on that article,- gigan).

Andre Agassi forever
Old 06-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #126
country flag Gigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDiCaLgIrL♥TR
I hate the way Federer said. I think at lease he should "include" that Hewitt too. Doesn't he always beat him and even give him bagel?
don't worry guys, there is one player who could speak in the same way about federer himself: my David

David Nalbandian 5 -2 !!! Roger Federer

Go David, beat him again!!!

Andre Agassi forever

Last edited by Gigan : 06-22-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #127
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigan
while there’s no guarantee that Jark would have won that match if Agassi was fit

Up two sets to one, a healthy Agassi is likely to win, even on clay.

D. Nalbandian ♦ R. Federer ♦ D. Goffin ♦ M. Youzhny ♦ D. Brown ♦ N. Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #128
country flag suus21

suus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi would have won in four if he stayed healthy.
suus21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #129
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: ** Andre Articles & Interviews !! **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigan
don't worry guys, there is one player who could speak in the same way about federer himself: my David

David Nalbandian 5 -2 !!! Roger Federer

Go David, beat him again!!!

Andre Agassi forever
I hope he will beat Federer again. And someone even I dislike has to beat him too.

Also I don't understand what that article. I'm sure Andre 100% wins if he doesn't get injury.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #130
country flag Gigan

Andre Agassi

why we like him?

He has given us so many memorable moments on the court over the course of his career. Like many of us, Agassi has had his struggles, but it is his persistence and determination that sets him apart in most of our minds.

why is he famous?

Agassi is part of popular culture because of his athletic ability and his natural charisma, both on and off the tennis courts. He is a great entertainer and loves the spotlight. It is this lack of shyness that has propelled Agassi into international stardom. His many Grand Slam victories have carved a permanent place for himself in sports folklore, not just the tennis Hall of Fame.

Andre Agassi embodies the modern tennis player. He has been at times flamboyant, emotional and cocky. His numerous endorsements and public relationships have made him a favorite of the media. After a down period in which Agassi didn't contend for major tournaments, he has simply been dominating.

Agassi seems to be improving with age, something that is unheard of in tennis. His reincarnation started in 1994, when he hired Brad Gilbert as his new coach. He and Agassi have a great rapport, which has resulted in many tournament victories for Agassi.
More on page 2 >>

http://www.askmen.com/men/sports/39_andre_agassi.html

"If this was disappointing, I hope to disappoint 20,000 people at the US Open this year."
-Andre Agassi, after it took him only 50 minutes to win a 1998 tournament final.

bio

Andre Agassi was born April 29, 1970 in Las Vegas, Nevada. His Iranian-born father Mike Agassi was an Olympic boxer in 1948 and 1952. Andre, the youngest of 4 children, was deemed a tennis prodigy at age three.

Trivia: How did Agassi open up to audiences after winning his first Grand Slam title?
More on page 3 >>
http://www.askmen.com/men/sports/39_andre_agassi.html

Andre Agassi forever
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #131
country flag Gigan

what they say....

... fellow baldies Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel and Andre Agassi,...

ye-ha coolest baldies in the wld...

Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #132
country flag suus21

suus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond repute

vin diesel PLEASE
with hair is still better looking than bald
Old 07-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #133
country flag joycomesmorning

joycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond repute

I think we might be talking about 'In the eyes of the beholder" here...there are a number of highly ranked pro tennis players, for example, who have LOTS of hair, yet would better serve (no pun intended) their fans by wearing a paper sack over their faces...

And then there's Andre with no hair...but that great face with the twinkling eyes...and that easy, gorgeous smile!!!

All in all, sometimes bald is better when you think about the alternative....

jcm
joycomesmorning is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #134
country flag suus21

no I mean short hair is better looking than bald period. But Andre is very cute but he would be cuter with hair. Brad Pitt bald is also less cute than with hair.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #135
country flag Gigan

Agassi included in W&S Financial Group Masters field
Defending champ expected to join Federer, Hewitt

By Dustin Dow

Andre Agassi won his third title in Cincinnati last year.

THE FIELD
The Field consists of 51 players directly accepted based on ranking announced today, four wild cards, eight qualifiers and one special exemption.

Player From Ranking Best Here
Federer, Roger SUI 1 R32 in ’03
Hewitt, Lleyton AUS 2 F in ’02 & ’04
Nadal, Rafael ESP 3 R64 in ’04
Roddick, Andy USA 4 W in ’03
Safin, Marat RUS 5 QF in ’04
Agassi, Andre USA 6 W in ’95, ’96 & ’04
Davydenko, Nikolay RUS 7 R64 in ’03
Canas, Guillermo ARG 8 R16 in ’01
Johansson, Thomas SWE 9 QF in ’98
Nalbandian, David ARG 10 QF in ’03
Henman, Tim GBR 11 F in ’00
Puerta, Mariano ARG 12 R32 in ’00
Gaudio, Gaston ARG 13 R16 in ’03
Johansson, Joachim SWE 14 R64 in ’04
Coria, Guillermo ARG 15 QF in ’03
Stepanek, Radek CZE 16 R64 in ’03
Gasquet, Richard FRA 17 N/A
Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 18 SF in ’02
Ljubicic, Ivan CRO 19 QF in ’01
Robredo, Tommy ESP 20 SF in ’04
Ferrer, David ESP 21 R64 in ’04
Kiefer, Nicolas GER 22 R32 in ’99 & ’04
Haas, Tommy GER 23 QF in ’04
Lopez, Feliciano ESP 24 R32 in ’03 & ’04
Novak, Jiri CZE 25 R32 in ’01
Hrbaty, Dominik SVK 26 R32 in ’02 & ’04
@ El Aynaoui, Younes MAR 27 R32 in ’03
Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 27 R16 in ’03
Moya, Carlos ESP 28 W in ’02
Dent, Taylor USA 29 R16 in ’02
Massu, Nicolas CHI 30 R64 in ’04
Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP 31 SF in ’02
Ancic, Mario CRO 32 N/A
Mirnyi, Max BLR 33 QF in ’03
Volandri, Filippo ITA 34 N/A
Grosjean, Sebastien FRA 35 R32 in ’00
Rochus, Olivier BEL 36 N/A
Melzer, Jurgen AUT 37 R64 in ’04
Soderling, Robin SWE 38 R16 in ’04
Rusedski, Greg GBR 39 QF in ’01
Andreev, Igor RUS 40 N/A
Pavel, Andrei ROM 41 R32 in ’01
Berdych, Tomas CZE 42 N/A
Srichaphan, Paradorn THA 43 R16 in ’04
Acasuso, Jose ARG 44 R64 in ’03
Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 45 R16 in ’03 & ’04
Rochus, Christophe BEL 46 N/A
Beck, Karol SVK 47 N/A
Saulnier, Cyril FRA 48 R64 in ’02
Spadea, Vincent USA 49 QF in ’98
Martin, Alberto ESP 50 R16 in ’01

@ Injury Protected Ranking

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES
• Western & Southern boosts its field for Women's Open

MASON – Turns out, Andre Agassi’s triumphant return to Cincinnati last summer might not have been his last go-around in the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters as was widely thought at the time.

Agassi, 35, the defending champion, is expected to be in the field for the upcoming W&S Masters according to the list of players currently committed to play in the Masters Series tournament Aug. 12-21 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.

The field was announced today at the Tennis Center and includes world No. 1 and three-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer, French Open champion Rafael Nadal, 2003 W&S Champion Andy Roddick, who lost to Agassi in last year’s semifinals, and last year’s finalist, Lleyton Hewitt.

The top 51 ranked players get automatic entries into the 64-player tournament. Younes El Aynaoui has an injury-protected ranking of No. 27, which prevented the No. 51-ranked player, Fabrice Santoro, from being directly accepted. One of the four wild cards has been given to American James Blake.

Agassi, ranked No. 6 and always a fan-favorite in Cincinnati, has been featured in the tournament’s print and television ad spots, the latter of which includes him saying, "I’ll see you in Cincinnati.”

Two years ago Agassi withdrew from the Cincinnati tournament just days before it started. He returned last year, however, to claim the title in Cincinnati for the third time, resurrecting a career that had begun to decline because of Aggasi’s health. It currently stands as his last tournament championship, though he has reached the semifinals of two Masters Series events this year. In June, Agassi pulled out of Wimbledon because of an injury.

Last edited by Gigan : 07-18-2005 at 09:35 PM.