*~*~Vamos Rafa at Roland Garros!!! ~*~* - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #61
country flag Lopaka
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond reputeLopaka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *~*~Vamos Rafa at Roland Garros!!! ~*~*

Sometime the ESPN2 commentary is not the best.

But hey seeing Rafa play on live television is the important thing.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #62
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, Rafa's first blog entry is up.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/blog/nadal.asp

It's funny and very detailed, good start!

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
mallorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:19 AM   #63
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know where to find the Spanish original of his blog?

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #64
country flag mamasue

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis
Does anyone know where to find the Spanish original of his blog?
I don't know if there was a Spanish original of his blog but here's a link to a good Spanish translation on VR.com -- http://www.vamosrafael.com/messagebo...=428760#428760
mamasue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:33 AM   #65
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue
I don't know if there was a Spanish original of his blog but here's a link to a good Spanish translation on VR.com -- http://www.vamosrafael.com/messagebo...=428760#428760
Thanks, but it's pretty clear his blog was translated into English, and I'm interested in getting my hands on what he originally wrote rather than a translation of a translation (since my Spanish per se is dismal and consists of piggy-backing on my Latin). I suppose it's possible he just dictated it to a translator, since I could have sworn that there were Spanish originals to be found of Ferrer's and Acasuso's.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #66
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting interview from El Mundo Deportivo translated by lucie of vr.com
Quote:
Q. At the end of 2005, you were desperate for not finding a solution to your foot injury. Did you imagine that you would be so fine at this point in the season, ready to defend your RG title ?
Rafa. Things have changed a lot, I'm feeling so much better than I had anticipated. I already won four tournaments this year, two TMS (MonteCarlo and Roma) and Godo and Dubai, the two more important tournaments after the TMS in terms of points granted. I consolidated my position as world number 2, and am happy for that.

Q. You were crying tears of despair because of your injury. Now we see you crying tears of joy for winning titles.
Rafa. If I cried after these wins it's because I remembered all those bad moments I had been through.

Q. Last year you've been amazing, winning eleven titles. What do you value most, this wonderful season or your successful comeback after nearly four months off ?
Rafa. Every moment carries its own difficulties, but I value most what I'm doing now. After such a long time without competition, without even training, I couldn't imagine I would be feeling so fine. I am ten times better than I expected being after my injury.

Q. And now for Roland Garros, you are defending your title : does it put extra pressure on you ?
Rafa. I only feel the pressure of wanting to win. I'm very relaxed because I'm defending it after having won four tournaments. If I play normally in Paris, even if I don't win, I will carry on as world nr 2. I sure was more nervous before MonteCarlo : I had just lost in the first round in Miami and I was defending a lot of points. Everything was building up and everything was difficult, but I got over it, and this gave me confidence for Roland Garros.

Q. Do you think you are THE favourite ?
Rafa. No, I don't think I am the favourite. I'm not gonna be misled into this matter. I am one of the favourites, just like last year, but I am not the favourite. There are a few players who can win this tournament, and I am one of them.

Q. A few superstitions ? Will you repeat things you did last year ?
Rafa. No, I will do nothing special for this tournament, I will not train in a special way. I like to keep on doing the same routine.

Q. What would happen if you lost in Paris ?
Rafa. Well, that wouldn't be a tragedy. It is the most important tournament on clay, but other tournaments also matter to me, and I am fine with it. Moreover, losing in Roland Garros would be normal, winning wouldn't be !

Q. Do you have special memories of last year ?
Rafa. I have precious memories, but I also remember the bad moments I had. I know that this year too I will have bad moments, and I am mentally prepared to face them. If you want to win, you need to overcome these moments.

Q. Everybody is expecting a new duel with the Swiss Roger Federer.
Rafa. That would be good if I'd play against Federer in Paris, as we can only meet in the final ! It's always a nice match, full of emotion ; duels between the world nr 1 and the world nr 2 are always very special. I love playing him, not because he's Federer, but because I enjoy facing the world nr one.

Q. These matches help you and him further improve your game ?
Rafa. I watch him quite often, not because I have to play him, but because he's playing so well, and to try and play as good as him. It's actually impossible though, he's doing incredible things, many things I should copy.

Q. Is it frustrating to have Federer preventing you from reaching nr 1 ?
Rafa. I have to accept it. I'm very happy to be nr 2 with what i'm doing. In previous years, I would have been nr 1 with what I have achieved. Hewitt, Ferrero and Moya had less points than I have now when they were nr 1. Most players who have been nr 1 had less points than I have now. But I don't want to be obsessed by it. To be nr 2 is fine, and I need to carry on improving in case Federer weakens and an opportunity arises.

Q. Is your objective still to qualify for the Masters ?
Rafa. No, I am already qualified for the Masters - if no disaster happens. My objective is to finish the season as world nr 2.

Q. You had to give up playing Hamburg just after Roma. Were you too exhausted ?
Rafa. Even if many people think otherwise, Federer and I didn't go to Hamburg not because we were too tired but because there was a risk of injury. Hamburg is a TMS, with many points at stake. I really was annoyed not to be able to play there.

Q. Your health is a priority ?
Rafa. I know it from experience. To be healthy is the priority. Last year, I found it very difficult to give up certain things, this year it's easier for me to accept it, to listen more to people around me. If there are risks for my health, I'd rather not play, I've learned better now.

Q. In addition to the matches, you are involved in many public activities. Isn't it a bit too much for you ?
Rafa. When you are resting at home, you don't want to be bothered. But when I'm working, I want it to be as good as possible, because it's just part of the job - so I'd rather have fun doing it !

Q. Your family has been a great help when you were injured.
Rafa. I am glad to see them happy, they have helped me a lot and I will always be grateful to them.

Spanish original
http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20060...220807856.html
http://vamosrafael.com/messageboard/...=asc&start=220

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 05-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #67
country flag mallorn

I hope they won't jinx Rafa with the planned celebration of breaking Vilas's record.
Quote:
Guillermo Vilas plans to congratulate Nadal with a cake on the court
Guillermo Vilas is a regular member of Roland Garros audience. He sits on a box, dressed in black from the head to the feet, and there he is until Roland Garros doors are closed. Today he will be on the Philipe Chatrier in the fourth match of the day, the Rafa’s match, who he phone called a few days ago to congratulate although he first played him a joke harshly: “If you break my record, I will break your legs” said to Nadal who, on the other side of the phone asked “And who are you?”. They get on well each other. The argentinian admires the game and the spirit of spanish Nadal and that’s why it’s planned for today that, after a possible victory for Rafa, the big ‘Willy’ downs to the court and brings him a cake with which he wants to celebrate the new record on claycourts.
(translated by Patxy of vr.com )

A new article from The Independent:
Quote:
29 May 2006 13:53

Nick Bollettieri: Paris clay gives Federer chance of toppling Nadal

It is the rivalry that we've dreamed about for years. And after three head-to-head instalments already in 2006, and a fourth seeded to happen in the final of the French Open, Roger Federer v Rafael Nadal is truly developing into a classic series.

Federer is, without doubt, the best player in the world, all round, and in many people's eyes, already has a strong claim to be the most naturally gifted player who's ever played the game. I've already subscribed to that camp.

But Nadal, with his scorching current record run on clay, and his power, his energy, and his dazzling strokes under pressure, has all the ingredients to usurp the Swiss master, if he stays fit and hungry.

On head-to-head statistics, Nadal also has an advantage over Federer, winning five of their six meetings, including all three this year as well as last year's French Open semi.

With all that in mind, my expectation for this year's event at Roland Garros may sound a little strange. I expect Nadal to make the final whereas I expect Federer could stutter in the French capital - and I was honestly of that mind even before his less than perfect first-round win over the Argentine qualifier, Diego Hartfield, yesterday afternoon.

Yet I believe that if the final does pan out as the seedings dictate that it should, with Nadal against Federer, then I take Federer to win it. Why? First, because with every match on the surface, he's getting more acclimatised to the clay. You can see in his game that gradually the instinctiveness with which he plays on other surfaces - exemplified by his near perfection on grass - is coming into his clay-court game.

Not so long ago, you could actually see him thinking out shots on clay. For my money, he is thinking less and running on instinct more, and that's a good sign.

Second, the clay in Paris is better suited to his game than the heavier clay you find in Italy and Hamburg. If he is going to upset Nadal on clay, Paris is the place for it.

Third, the pressure is all on Nadal's 20-year-old shoulders. Sure, they're some shoulders, capable of stinging shots and carrying great hopes, but anything less than the title and he's fallen short of what's expected. He is the man that everyone wants to topple this fortnight, including Federer. That makes mental toughness every bit as important as physical skill and there are few as capable of serene focus as Federer.

My fourth reason for backing Federer, if he gets as far as the final, owes a little to faith in destiny. Until and unless Federer wins the French Open to complete his Grand Slam set then the minority of people who do not already feel him to be the very best in history will always have that gap in the trophy cabinet to point at.

Federer knows that too, and believe me, this is the one title now that he would delight in capturing. A danger-laden draw awaits him, but he has the desire and the ability to get through.

It is the rivalry that we've dreamed about for years. And after three head-to-head instalments already in 2006, and a fourth seeded to happen in the final of the French Open, Roger Federer v Rafael Nadal is truly developing into a classic series.

Federer is, without doubt, the best player in the world, all round, and in many people's eyes, already has a strong claim to be the most naturally gifted player who's ever played the game. I've already subscribed to that camp.

But Nadal, with his scorching current record run on clay, and his power, his energy, and his dazzling strokes under pressure, has all the ingredients to usurp the Swiss master, if he stays fit and hungry.

On head-to-head statistics, Nadal also has an advantage over Federer, winning five of their six meetings, including all three this year as well as last year's French Open semi.

With all that in mind, my expectation for this year's event at Roland Garros may sound a little strange. I expect Nadal to make the final whereas I expect Federer could stutter in the French capital - and I was honestly of that mind even before his less than perfect first-round win over the Argentine qualifier, Diego Hartfield, yesterday afternoon.

Yet I believe that if the final does pan out as the seedings dictate that it should, with Nadal against Federer, then I take Federer to win it. Why? First, because with every match on the surface, he's getting more acclimatised to the clay. You can see in his game that gradually the instinctiveness with which he plays on other surfaces - exemplified by his near perfection on grass - is coming into his clay-court game.
Not so long ago, you could actually see him thinking out shots on clay. For my money, he is thinking less and running on instinct more, and that's a good sign.

Second, the clay in Paris is better suited to his game than the heavier clay you find in Italy and Hamburg. If he is going to upset Nadal on clay, Paris is the place for it.

Third, the pressure is all on Nadal's 20-year-old shoulders. Sure, they're some shoulders, capable of stinging shots and carrying great hopes, but anything less than the title and he's fallen short of what's expected. He is the man that everyone wants to topple this fortnight, including Federer. That makes mental toughness every bit as important as physical skill and there are few as capable of serene focus as Federer.

My fourth reason for backing Federer, if he gets as far as the final, owes a little to faith in destiny. Until and unless Federer wins the French Open to complete his Grand Slam set then the minority of people who do not already feel him to be the very best in history will always have that gap in the trophy cabinet to point at.

Federer knows that too, and believe me, this is the one title now that he would delight in capturing. A danger-laden draw awaits him, but he has the desire and the ability to get through.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article621246.ece

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 05-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #68
country flag silver7

silver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good 6-2, 7-5!!!Vamos Rafa!!!
Rafael Nadal
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Tommy Robredo

DANKE DEUTSCHLAND

Marat Safin Mischa Zverev
silver7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #69
country flag silver7

silver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond repute

54th win! Rafa is the King of clay!
Rafael Nadal
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Tommy Robredo

DANKE DEUTSCHLAND

Old 05-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #70
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh I got nervous at 5-4 in the 2nd set when he lost his serve again. Thanks God he got done in 3. And boy was it windy out there.
I hope it's gonna be better weather during the final bc Fed is a great wind player and wind levels the odds of course.
And awww how cute he was again during the ceremony. But Bimes and Vilas presented him a 'sample' of Roland Garros soil not the cake.
Felcidades Rafa and keep it going!
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #71
country flag silver7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV
Gosh I got nervous at 5-4 in the 2nd set when he lost his serve again. Thanks God he got done in 3. And boy was it windy out there.
I hope it's gonna be better weather during the final bc Fed is a great wind player and wind levels the odds of course.
And awww how cute he was again during the ceremony. But Bimes and Vilas presented him a 'sample' of Roland Garros soil not the cake.
Felcidades Rafa and keep it going!
Nice Post!! I total agree with you
Rafael Nadal
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Tommy Robredo

DANKE DEUTSCHLAND

Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #72
country flag mallorn

What happened to my post?

Anyway,

Thank goodness he won in three, I was getting worried in the second!

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 05-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #73
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorn
What happened to my post?

Anyway,

Thank goodness he won in three, I was getting worried in the second!
I guess we all got worried.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #74
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver7
Good 6-2, 7-5!!!Vamos Rafa!!!
Hey, where's the 3rd set score? 6-1

Felicitaciones, Rafa, on breaking the Vilas clay record!

Not so sure about the "award" tho...

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #75
country flag silver7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88
Hey, where's the 3rd set score? 6-1

Felicitaciones, Rafa, on breaking the Vilas clay record!

Not so sure about the "award" tho...
You know the 3rd set was so fast over so that I forgot it
Rafael Nadal
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Tommy Robredo

DANKE DEUTSCHLAND