*~*~Vamos Rafa at Roland Garros!!! ~*~* - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #136
country flag wolviebabe

wolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *~*~Vamos Rafa at Roland Garros!!! ~*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
I'm glad Rafa spoke out against the Fans, but why was he eating a banana while playing tennis? A quick bite on a change over? I don't think I have ever seen anyone eat a banana on court That would have been worth seeing, but I'm sorry Rafa choked and the Fans gave him a hard time
Really?. I did. Millions of times. Players always get a bite of a banana when they think the match is going to last a lot of time.

I braided his hair and he talked about this cute bag he bought at Louis Vuitton store! Unfortunately he had to leave soon for a warm-up so I hugged him good bye and wished him luck! He is soooo cute when he pouts!!!.
--Dmitry Tursunov
wolviebabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #137
country flag wolviebabe

wolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond reputewolviebabe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorn
Way to go, Rafa!

I quoted your post in GM.
No prob.

I braided his hair and he talked about this cute bag he bought at Louis Vuitton store! Unfortunately he had to leave soon for a warm-up so I hugged him good bye and wished him luck! He is soooo cute when he pouts!!!.
--Dmitry Tursunov
wolviebabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #138
country flag flavia_am

flavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond reputeflavia_am has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa! Enhorabuena por tu victoria!!!!!!!!
Y Muchas Felicidades por tu Cumpleaños
!!!!!!!!! Muakssssssssssssss

¡¡¡¡Patatum!!!!
Julio

Last edited by flavia_am : 06-03-2006 at 07:40 PM.
flavia_am is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #139
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

From FoxSports:
Quote:
Nadal outlasts Frenchman in marathon

PARIS (AP) - Rafael Nadal found his latest win at the French Open so taxing that he took a seat in the middle of a game and called for a doctor.

The problem apparently involved a bite of banana, and wasn't serious. A bigger issue for Nadal was Frenchman Paul Henri-Mathieu, who traded groundstrokes with the defending champion for 4 hours, 53 minutes before losing in the third round Saturday, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

Among Nadal's record 56 consecutive clay-court wins, the latest ranked with the most memorable - and it came on his 20th birthday. The epic first set alone lasted 1 hour, 33 minutes, and one game took 15 minutes.

A stadium filled with partisan Parisians hung on every point, rooting for an upset. Instead, Nadal improved to 10-0 at Roland Garros and remained on course for a much-anticipated showdown in next Sunday's final against top-ranked Roger Federer.

The match included a curious interruption at a pivotal moment, with Nadal serving for the third set at 5-4, 15-all. He hurriedly took a seat in his changeover chair, waved a banana peel at the chair umpire and pointed to his throat, as though the food he'd eaten during a changeover was stuck there.

Appearing anxious, Nadal conferred with a trainer and a doctor, then resumed play and closed out the set four points later to take the lead for good.

Even in the final set, the grinding nature of the rallies never slackened - the first game took 10 minutes. The wear of the match could make Nadal's fitness an issue in the fourth round Monday against two-time Grand Slam winner Lleyton Hewitt.

"You have to show him that you're there on the court to beat him," Mathieu said. "He's very, very good on clay, but I don't think it's impossible to beat him."

Also advancing were six players who earned fourth-round berths at a Grand Slam event for the first time - Shahar Peer, Anna-Lena Groenefeld, Alberto Martin, Julien Benneteau, Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo and Novak Djokovic.

The 19-year-old Peer became the first Israeli woman to reach the round of 16 at a Grand Slam event since Anna Smashnova did it at the French Open in 1998. Seeded 31st, Peer advanced by upsetting 2004 runner-up Elena Dementieva 6-4, 7-5.

"We have maybe four clay courts in Israel," Peer said. "The rest is just hard courts. But I think the way I play and the way I move, I can improve and play better and better on clay."

Others advancing included defending champion Justine Henin-Hardenne, whose opponent Sunday will be 2004 winner Anastasia Myskina.

No. 12 Martina Hingis, playing at Roland Garros for the first time since 2001, and No. 2 Kim Clijsters also won. No. 32 Gisela Dulko beat Shenay Perry 6-1, 6-1 in 52 minutes, leaving one American - Venus Williams - in the women's draw.

No. 8 James Blake, the lone American left in the men's draw, won a tiebreaker to pull even with Frenchman Gael Monfils at 2-6, 7-6 (2) when their match was suspended because of darkness.

Mathieu, seeded 29th, didn't figure to give Nadal much of a test. The slender Frenchman had lost all four of their previous matches, including two this year, and had won only one of his past 15 matches against top-10 opponents.

Perhaps his biggest claim to fame is that he's the last player to beat Pete Sampras - at Long Island in 2002.

But Mathieu played Nadal on even terms from the baseline, winning his share of long rallies, and came forward enough to keep the Spaniard on the defensive. Mathieu won 36 points at the net to seven for Nadal.

Nadal lost his serve six times and converted only eight of 29 break-point chances. But inexhaustible as ever, he kept scrapping.

On one point the crowd thought Mathieu had hit a winner and erupted, but Nadal scrambled to scoop the ball back and went on to win the rally.

In the third set, the Spaniard yanked a running forehand passing shot crosscourt from five steps behind the baseline for a winner. He then hopped across the court and threw a jubilant uppercut.
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5662464

From Reuters:
Quote:
Frenchman Mathieu rattles Nadal

Sat Jun 3, 2006 3:45 PM EDT162

By Bill Barclay

PARIS (Reuters) - A troubled and at times tormented Rafael Nadal stumbled through to the French Open fourth round on Saturday looking anything but the player who is deemed to be invincible on clay.

Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu gave the defending champion a nasty 20th birthday fright before the Spaniard prevailed 5-7 6-4 6-4 6-4 on a rowdy Roland Garros center court.

Mathieu was given little hope before the match but fed off the enthusiasm of home fans in the vertiginous 15,000-capacity arena, leaving Nadal looking clumsy and rattled in a match whose four sets lasted seven minutes shy of five hours.

The 29th seed became the first man to take a set off Nadal at this year's claycourt grand slam when the muscular Mallorcan erred with a forehand at 5-6. The first set alone lasted 93 minutes.

Mathieu's varied trajectory and angles troubled Nadal throughout, with his flat double-handed backhand often surprising the Spaniard who had not lost for 55 matches on clay.

Nadal dug in to take the next two sets but looked distinctly unhappy in the third set, first angrily arguing with the umpire over a line call and then calling a medical timeout mid-game after pointing anxiously to his throat.

With both players' socks soaked orange with clay dust Mathieu's will finally broke in the fourth set when he followed a double-fault with three forehand errors to lose serve at 4-4 and then flayed a backhand out on Nadal's first match point.

The fourth round is unlikely to be any easier for Nadal. There he faces Australian Lleyton Hewitt who beat Slovakian Dominik Hrbaty 7-6 6-2 6-2 in a display the former world number one described as one of his best on clay.

"My ball striking was great today. Right from the word go, I served as well as I've probably ever served, especially on clay," said Hewitt who is playing despite an inflamed ankle.

(...)
http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/new...archived=False

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
mallorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #140
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

From the official site:
Quote:
Nadal survives Mathieu

By Matthew Cronin
Saturday, June 3, 2006

Rafael Nadal has never experienced a tougher match at Roland Garros and he almost didn't survive.

Needing to call upon all his tremendous reserves, the defending champion knocked off France's Paul Henri-Mathieu 5-7 6-4 6-4 6-4 in a spectacular four hour, 53 minute contest.

Nadal registered his 56th straight win on clay courts on his 20th birthday, but it was an exhausting victory. The two played 197 points, with Mathieu ripping 60 winners to 54 from Nadal, but the Frenchman committed 65 unforced errors to only 39 from the Spaniard.

Mathieu pressed the action during the entire contest, ripping crosscourt backhands and forehands, jumping on every short ball and winning 36 of his 61 net rushes. He showed Nadal that he wasn't going to be caught in endless crosscourt rallies.

"First of all, I showed I wouldn't be over impressed by him. You have to show him that you are there on the court to beat him. That's No1. He's very, very good on clay, but I don't think it's impossible to beat him. It's difficult, but it's not impossible. For a middle range player, it seems that his level is so high that it's impossible, but he can be beaten."

With the crowd roaring for an upset, Nadal continued to press Mathieu with his huge lefty forehand, pulled numerous passing shots out his magical bag and hammered away at his opponent's serves. Even though Nadal only converted eight of his 29 break points, the constant pressure he put on Mathieu took its toll.

In the end, Mathieu couldn't punch through Nadal's steely defense, nor match his speed and unwillingness to give in.

"If it had been my best tennis, I would have won," Mathieu said.

"The end of the first set was good. I had good shots. He always played well at the beginning of this set. It was very intense. It was difficult to hold the rhythm physically and mentally. It's difficult to keep the same level and the same rhythm for nearly five hours. I think I played well, but I have played better."

The match included a bizarre interruption with Nadal serving for the third set at 5-4, 15-all. He ran to his seat and sat down, waved a banana peel at the chair umpire and pointed to his throat and seemed to be on the verge choking.

"I don't know what happened, but it suddenly stayed stuck halfway through," Nadal said.

"I didn't really notice it at the beginning. At 15 love, I started being a little bit frightened. But I didn't want to stop in the middle of the game. I didn't think it would look very good. I lost the next point. I was paying more attention to my throat than to tennis. It was an important game, so I started being nervous. It's not that I couldn't breathe, but I did feel a very strange sensation. I thought, I've got to stop because I don't want anything serious to happen. Never mind if I don't look good."

But after he took a few slugs of water and conferred with a trainer and a doctor, he resumed play and eventually wore Mathieu down.

"I'm satisfied with my tennis," Nadal said. "I think I've made a quality leap over the past few days. I have a lot more security in my shots. I play them much better. I think probably this was not the best match of my life, but it was a very good match. But you have to keep in mind that nothing is ever easy, particularly when you're playing a

player who is playing so well. I knew this was going to be a very difficult match. I knew that anything could happen. This is an important victory for me."

Nadal will face two time grand Slam champion Lleyton Hewitt in the fourth round, whom he has never beaten.

"We've had tough matches every time we've played on hard court," Hewitt said. "But, he's an extremely tough player right at the moment, especially on this surface, as everyone's well aware of. So it's a matter of me going out there and sticking to what I want to do out there. I've still got to execute extremely well. And we know he doesn't give guys a lot of chances."

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 06-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #141
country flag AgassiDomination

AgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiDomination has a reputation beyond repute

The banana thing was gamesmanship.
AgassiDomination is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #142
country flag Jogg

Jogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond reputeJogg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviebabe
Nadal was interviewed by Alex Corretja at the end of the match and asked him about what happened when he was talking to the doctor.
Nadal said he choked on a banana he ate and he couldn't breath... and he said: " I was choking on the banana and they whistled at me, the bastards... hahaha."

That was funny.
you tell them Rafa

the french crowd were disgusting to him

Quote:
yeah right choking on a banana on his own serve when serving for the set was gamesmanship

Marat Safin Carlos Moya Feli Lopez Nando Verdasco Richie Gasquet

Robredo Guga Garcia-Lopez Ferrer Tomeu

Interviewer: It surprises people how well you get on with Nadal
Carlos Moya: I can't conceal that. I love him very much and I knew that one day he would be better than me. He's on another level.
Jogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #143
country flag silver7

silver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond reputesilver7 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the match and it was a great match!
Thx Rafa that you won this great match
Rafael Nadal
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Tommy Robredo

DANKE DEUTSCHLAND

Marat Safin Mischa Zverev
silver7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #144
country flag mallorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgassiDomination
Yeah right.

People will always find fault with Rafa. Some would even love to see him choke.

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #145
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah right.

People will always find fault with Rafa. Some would even love to see him choke.
Ania & Co, I've given up arguing with morons in GM so you're on your own.
Geez. Hewitt is not gonna be any easier I'm afraid.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #146
country flag mallorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV
Ania & Co, I've given up arguing with morons in GM so you're on your own.
Geez. Hewitt is not gonna be any easier I'm afraid.
Fighting stupidity is Sisyphean labour.

After today's match I would like to update the list of obstacles for Rafa en route to the title:
the record,
the tabloid pictures,
the doping rumours in the French press,
the rain delays,
the strings problem,
the red hot (chili peppers ) PHM,
the very hostile French crowd,
the treacherous BANANA!
Hewitt who has nothing to lose,
Blake looming in the QF,
…and the list will continue I'm sure.

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #147
country flag NaDALiTa

NaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond repute

this lack of aknowledge of the french crowd makes me so ashamed. They are so chauvinistic that when a french player is on the court, they do their possible to annoy him, by contesting the chair umpire who is always right and fair, or booing at the opponent
I feel Everybody want to see rafa lose.......when someone is being too talentuous and too strong it's the king of thing that could happen ...it's so sad

rafa will be stronger than it !!!

mallorn you forgot on your list , the french commentators : Guy Forget, Lionnel Chamoulaud, Nicolas Escudé and the other .....they behaved in a very bad way with Rafa today, making suspicions about his ability to play a 5 hours match

"It doesn't matter if you don't look as cool as the Ramones — you're never going to, anyway."Chris Martin.

+The White Stripes+The Strokes+The Libertines+

+MARAT SAFIN+rameez junaid+andy murray +vince spadea +diego hartfield +pti pote gustavo+willy cañas +Simone Bolelli+Jérémy ChardyOTHER ADDICTIONS:Liverpool F.C+Atletico Madrid+Arsenal F.C+Olympique Lyonnais+La Roja+
NaDALiTa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #148
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt's ankle is still bothering him and he said he has to ice it every day. He's hardly played any matches this yr, esp on clay, which is his worst surface, and Rafa will be keen for la revancha!

I w say, Rafa in 3... and he will take his time eating his banana fr now on. Also after winning this marathon 4-setter, I think Rafa will have unbelievable confidence, knowing that he can get himself out of tough scrapes vs. an opponent who had no fear and played better than expected.

When I heard him say to Uncle Toni sth about "platano" I thought he said he wanted a banana, then when I saw him point to his throat, I realized that he had the banana stuck in his throat... meanwhile JMac was speculating cramps... duh!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #149
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fighting stupidity is Sisyphean labour.

After today's match I would like to update the list of obstacles for Rafa en route to the title:
the record,
the tabloid pictures,
the doping rumours in the French press,
the rain delays,
the strings problem,
the red hot (chili peppers ) PHM,
the very hostile French crowd,
the treacherous BANANA!
Hewitt who has nothing to lose,
Blake looming in the QF,
…and the list will continue I'm sure.
... chili peppers is good! What had PHM eaten yesterday to play out of his mind? (Mind you that he kinda didn't used to have any mind. )
And Blake is gonna be a horror .... supposed Rafa can get past Hewitt and Blake's gonna win over Monfils.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #150
country flag mallorn

There are a zillion articles after yesterday's match, most of them with or "choke" in the title.

I'm quoting the most interesting ones below and you can find the links to some others at the bottom of the last post.

From ABC News:
Quote:
Nadal chokes on banana

Jun 3, 2006 — By Pritha Sarkar

PARIS (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal choked at the French Open on Saturday. Luckily for the defending champion it was only on a piece of banana.

"I took a little bit of a banana. It slipped through the mouth sideways. I don't know what happened but it suddenly stayed stuck halfway through," a bemused Nadal said pointing to his neck following a 5-7 6-4 6-4 6-4 third round win over French hope Paul-Henri Mathieu.

Nadal was serving for the third set at 5-4, 15-all when he suddenly sprinted to the sidelines and pointed to his throat as a trainer tried to assess the problem.

The move drew loud whistles and jeers from the crowd but Nadal was not about to let a piece of fruit scupper his quest to chalk up a 56th consecutive victory on clay.

"I played one point. At 15-love, I started being a little bit frightened," said the second seed.

"But I didn't want to stop in the middle of the game. I didn't think it would look very good but I then lost the next point.

"I was now paying more attention to my throat than to tennis. It was an important game, so I started getting nervous.

"It's not that I couldn't breathe but I did feel a very strange sensation.

"I thought, I've got to stop because I don't want anything serious to happen. Never mind if I don't look good. (It was) not my fault."

Nadal, still, went on to hold serve to establish a two sets to one lead.

Buoyed by the roaring support, Mathieu tried his best to ruin Nadal's 20th birthday celebrations but in the end, he did not have the energy or will to quell the Spaniard.

After almost five hours of high drama, Nadal finally booked a fourth round showdown with former Australian world number one Lleyton Hewitt.

"This was a fabulous match," said Nadal. "I knew this was going to be extremely difficult. Of course, he was playing at home.

"Apart from the pressure from playing at home, there was no pressure on his side.

"I was theoretically the favorite. He was liberated in his game. He was also playing very well.

"But I had prepared for this and the crowd wasn't a problem at any moment.

"I was very focused at all times and I tried to keep the right attitude, tried to think about staying calm and think about the final victory. I think that's the important point."
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...2036840&page=2

- 81 - 28 - 4 -