Tennis Ability/Fitness Assessment Help Please - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis Ability/Fitness Assessment Help Please

Hi there I am approaching my final year at university, and like all students I have to complete a dissertation. I have decided to complete my proposal on the following topic:

The specific effects of hypohydration (dehydration) on tennis performance

There has been alot of studies investigating the effects on sporting performance, but I have not found a study focusing on the specific effects on tennis performance. Now, hydration/nutrition is one of the topics I am mostly interested in, in sports science. Tennis is my favourite sport of course, and there seems to be a gap for this kind of study. If I am able to do this study, I think it would be a very interesting one.

Now I need some help please I have decided on a few areas which I want to assess:

• Shot Velocity/Force output, forehand, backhand, serve
• Shot accuracy drill, forehand, backhand, volley, serve
• Tennis specific sprint time.
• Time to exhaustion of repeated tennis test.
• Grip strength

Now, I am a little unsure if it would be possible to test the velocity of someones strokes without the use of professional equipment like at the professional events, or is there another way I could do this?

Shot accuracy, which would be the best drill to assess this? Obviously, I need to be able to collect quantitive measures for example I could collect the error percentage (which drill would be best for this?)

Same as above, I would need quantitive measures e.g. sprint time that is specific to tennis, how could I assess this?

Exhaustion test, I have an idea of, and also grip strength is very easy.

Anyway, thanks for any input! I am going to see my tutor hopefully on thursday to tell him about my ideas (and see if this kind of project would be approved), and hopefully by then I know what methods of assesments I would be using.

joeb_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
country flag physics

physics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Ability/Fitness Assessment Help Please

I have a great book "The Physics & Technology Of Tennis" by Brody, Cross, Lindsey. Maybe I can help you with some specific questions.

Regarding testing shot velocity, the book mentions using VCR camcorder or stopwatch. I have more details if you are interested.

Regarding accuracy, you could mark certain spots on the court and aim for them with different strokes, and then analyze.
physics is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #3
country flag physics

physics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond reputephysics has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, there is a ton of topics on tennis, and maybe you should keep your mind open to other topics besides the ones you have already chosen?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
country flag SuperStringer224

SuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond repute

For velocity the only way I could think of is buy a speed gun. You could find one for about 100-150$ US. For the acuracy test you could make a target like with a bulls eye. Like basically and archery target and you can assign a number value to each part of the target so you get more points for hitting the ball closer to the bulls eye.
For sprinting you could time a player how fast he compleates a 10 shot alley to alley drill.
That should quantify things a bit.

Hopes this helps.
SuperStringer224 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! Forgot to add my thanks for the previous posts. I believe I have that book; the physics one. I will have a read through that, I got it from the uni library and havent read it yet,
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
country flag RFitzpatrick

RFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeRFitzpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Serve: you need a stop watch get someone to serve, press start when the racket meets the ball and press stop by the time the ball passes the baseline.

Dunno if you need this info

http://www.1stserve.com/newsite/serve.asp

The formula is: 78/(time needed to pass the baseline f.e. 0.76sec) * (60/88) = serve speed.
RFitzpatrick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
country flag joeb_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFitzpatrick
Serve: you need a stop watch get someone to serve, press start when the racket meets the ball and press stop by the time the ball passes the baseline.

Dunno if you need this info

http://www.1stserve.com/newsite/serve.asp

The formula is: 78/(time needed to pass the baseline f.e. 0.76sec) * (60/88) = serve speed.
With photographing tennis lately, I have got the timing down quite well! So maybe I could nail the ball on the racket nice post
Old 07-06-2006, 03:15 AM   #8
country flag physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStringer224
For velocity the only way I could think of is buy a speed gun. You could find one for about 100-150$ US. For the acuracy test you could make a target like with a bulls eye. Like basically and archery target and you can assign a number value to each part of the target so you get more points for hitting the ball closer to the bulls eye.
For sprinting you could time a player how fast he compleates a 10 shot alley to alley drill.
That should quantify things a bit.

Hopes this helps.
I disagree with you on the accuracy part. A bull's eye isn't appropriate because it's the spot the ball bounces on inside the court that's important. A bulls eye would be useful for analyzing passing shots at the net, otherwise, the interest point is in the spot of bounce!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #9
country flag SuperStringer224

SuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperStringer224 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics
I disagree with you on the accuracy part. A bull's eye isn't appropriate because it's the spot the ball bounces on inside the court that's important. A bulls eye would be useful for analyzing passing shots at the net, otherwise, the interest point is in the spot of bounce!
Yea a bulls eye on the court. Not an actaul archery target.
SuperStringer224 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
country flag FederalExpress

FederalExpress is on a distinguished road

You do not need a speed gun to measure the velocity of a forehand. You can do it a number of ways, hitting a forehand and having somebody hitting a stop watch right when the ball is hit then when it crosses the plane of the net. I believe this to be a the best way to measure because if you used the time it took to hit the ground you would have to take height into account.

Also but slightly more difficult is to create a large posterboard or wood board that you paint so you have even distances between lines you create on the board kind of like a large ruler. With a video camera slowed down you can see how far the ball travels within a certain time period and D=RT with D= distance R= rate and T= time you can easily get the equation, R= D/T.
FederalExpress is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
country flag joeb_uk

Ok guys I am now into my final year, and have to start seriously planning this project.

I am going to have to see the biomechanics lecturers, and ask if they know of any appropiate methods of recording stroke velocity (even in the lab, if they have equipment).

Anyway, for the tennis sprint test (have any of you done any specific drills in your training that you think would be appropiate for this) ?

Also, the most effective method of measuring hitting accuracy drill? Maybe without a ball machine, I have to see if they have access to one.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated thanks all.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Joeb, are you going to conduct these tests with subjects under normal conditions, and then use the same subjects when they are dehydrated? Is this intended to be a purely scientific study? Of course, there are different degrees of dehydration. If this is the course of action you plan to take, I hope you get some pretty thorough release forms for your subjects to sign off on.

One area that you didn't mention, and I suppose would be much more difficult to analyze with numbers, is diminished mental capacity. Most people don't think as clearly when dehydrated, and this definitely has a very profound effect on a person's tennis playing ability. Even if you can't measure it precisely, I would think it would be very relevant to your topic.

Good luck.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote