Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: If he can only win one of these titles this year, which one would it be?

Wimbledon 20 28.99%
RG 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

I would trade all his future Wimbly titles from now to the end of his career for one RG title.

That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #17
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
Ditto He has to win RG once for the record, but I'd rather see him play his beautiful tennis on fast surfaces than digging in the dirt vs moonballers
Old 05-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower
Ditto He has to win RG once for the record, but I'd rather see him play his beautiful tennis on fast surfaces than digging in the dirt vs moonballers
Hey I like the fact he wants to do well on all surfaces and doesn't just put in an appearance during the clay court season like the Americans. Or Hewitt who apparently thinks only one warm-up event is all he needs to do well at RG.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would trade all his future Wimbly titles from now to the end of his career for one RG title.
You were not serious? What about five Wimbledon titles for one RG...
Quote:
That's the spirit
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

I personally won't want him to TRADE Wimbledon for RG, but if he wins RG and doesn't win Wimbledon, surely I won't want him to trade that RG for Wimbledon.

If I have to choose between the two, my heart stubbornly says Wimbledon, but my mind says maybe RG I just can't accept the person who lifts the Wimbledon trophy is not Roger on that mid-July Sunday afternoon. And thinking if one day, that person be Nadal...
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #21
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanchr
I just can't accept the person who lifts the Wimbledon trophy is not Roger on that mid-July Sunday afternoon. And thinking if one day, that person be Nadal...
Perish the thought
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #22
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perish the thought
Hey, on the grass, pigs get rooted in the ground- they can't roll and slide as effectively as they do on mud

I would take RG in a heartbeat, after having gone through the ordeals I went in RG as a Sampras fan I think I finally deserve having a player I support lifting that trophy and at that one that does it without standing 8 feet behind the baseline grunting and hitting with excessive topspin.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #23
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

For this year? Yes Yes and Yes.......I'm very sure about this. I want to see him lift up that RG trophy...more than anything else.

BUT if losing in Wimby has to happen...can he lose to some random player in and not any other top players ...(how about dmitry...this guy is so funny I would be thinking of all his funny quotes in his blogs than being sad about Rogi losing...heck dmitry is so funny he should get a slam just for being funny )
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #24
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
BUT if losing in Wimby has to happen...can he lose to some random player in and not any other top players
If you mean Nadal then relax, that is just never going to happen on grass.

Other than him:
Nalbandian - well, he can play on grass, but would simply be outhit and outplayed by Roger's superior serve and groundies, hell - this guy was on the verge of losing to Murray last year

Roddick - like I said before, this guy is falling faster than tangerine_dream old breasts and his tennis years are behind him at only 23.

Ljubo - unfortunately he sucks on grass, despite having the 2nd best serve in the game (after Ivo), and all those people wondering how he doesn't succeed on grass should remember Verkerk: great groundies, great serve but looong swings.

Hewitt - need I say anything?

It has to be someone out of the top 5, and I see Ivo Karlovic (serving as well as he's been doing lately) as a possible threat, albeit not a serious one.

Ivo vs. Nadal on grass, this one would be fun to watch
Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #25
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I asgree with this.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #26
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you mean Nadal then relax, that is just never going to happen on grass.

Other than him:
Nalbandian - well, he can play on grass, but would simply be outhit and outplayed by Roger's superior serve and groundies, hell - this guy was on the verge of losing to Murray last year

Roddick - like I said before, this guy is falling faster than tangerine_dream old breasts and his tennis years are behind him at only 23.

Ljubo - unfortunately he sucks on grass, despite having the 2nd best serve in the game (after Ivo), and all those people wondering how he doesn't succeed on grass should remember Verkerk: great groundies, great serve but looong swings.

Hewitt - need I say anything?

It has to be someone out of the top 5, and I see Ivo Karlovic (serving as well as he's been doing lately) as a possible threat, albeit not a serious one.
Nadal vs. Ivo WOULD be a lot of fun, but I have a feeling (if past years ae any indication), Ivo will be in Roger's section of the draw.

BTW, I don't think Nadal is ready to win Wimbledon and might not ever win it with his style, but the fact is that there are only about a dozen or so players capable of hitting him off of the court. During the tournament, he may only face two or three. This means that we will probably be seeing him advance to some quarters and maybe even some semis soon if players aren't on their games and hitting their shots when they play him.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #27
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Nadal vs. Ivo WOULD be a lot of fun, but I have a feeling (if past years ae any indication), Ivo will be in Roger's section of the draw.

BTW, I don't think Nadal is ready to win Wimbledon and might not ever win it with his style, but the fact is that there are only about a dozen or so players capable of hitting him off of the court. During the tournament, he may only face two or three. This means that we will probably be seeing him advance to some quarters and maybe even some semis soon if players aren't on their games and hitting their shots when they play him.
He most likely will be seeded #2 this year, right?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #28
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Grass neutralizes EVERY strength in Nadal's game, namely: his speed (he can no longer run faster than the balls...) and his high-bouncing shots with excessive top-spin (which sit-up nicely for any player to hit on grass), and on competitiveness alone he won't go far.

I had been stunned how sub-ordinary he looked last year vs. Muller, until I realised he simply had nothing to offer on that surface.
I remember an article in one of the English newspapers (telegraph?) later in which they wrote how surprised they were with how unorthodox Nadal's shots were, and basically saying nobody should be raised playing like that.

True, few players play particularly well on grass nowadays, but Nadal isn't better than any of those who do not.

Sorry, mallorn, he's got no chance in hell on the stuff
I'm not saying this as a hater or using some wishful thinking.
He might be working on his serve and his volleys, but it's not like he's going to start S&V tomorrow on the grass (or he's toast even before playing one game).
Old 05-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #29
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I know Roger really want win RG,

But I cannot image when another man hold the Wimby Golden Cup, he will be how sad he is~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perish the thought
and wash your mouth out w soap while you're at it

Más vale mańa que fuerza -- proverbio espańol
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote