Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: If he can only win one of these titles this year, which one would it be?

Wimbledon 20 28.99%
RG 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Of course Roger may not win either tournament or he may win both. The question here is this: if you could control the outcome of the two tournaments, which would you choose for Roger to win this year if he could only win one?

For example, would it be preferrable to you for Roger to win RG but lose in the quarters (or any other round) at SW19, or would it be more to your tastes if he loses at RG but keeps the Wimbledon streak alive?

A win at RG elevates him directly into tennis immortality with the completion of the career slam, while a win a Wimbledon keeps the Wimby streak alive and allows Roger to win his favorite tournament.

Last edited by NYCtennisfan : 05-03-2006 at 02:07 AM.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #2
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Hi NYCtennisfan

Admittedly, my excitement for the clay season is slowly evaporating......... The Barcelona Final started to pound those final nails into this season being dead and buried for me

Nevertheless, if I had a choice of either 2006 RG or Wim.........I choose RG. I think RG will place Roger in a category within tennis history that he is very deserving of.....in my opinion........... What would make it even more special is if he defeated the "king of clay" to earn that RG crown..........

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #3
country flag Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather Roger win RG than Wimbledon, but Wimbledon is his favorite tournament, so...

I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Very good points Mangoes. A win at RG and he is a tennis immortal (might be one anyway) and a win over Nadal would be especially sweet. In fact, a win at RG would "SOMEWHAT" take the pressure off during Wimby becau7se a loss there would be "forgivable" after the battle to win on clay.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:57 AM   #5
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with mangoes. I hope Roger thinks the same way (atleast this year) but I don't think he does. It would be even sweeter if he were to beat Nadal in the final to shut up all those who will come out of the woodwork and proclaim that there should be an asterisk next to Roger's name for his FO win.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Screw 'em. IF Roger happens to win RG and doesn't have to beat Nadal to do it, so be it. If people were to bitch about that then I would bitch every time Nadal won a hard court tournament and didn't have to face James Blake.

It's hard to answer something that's unknown. But I know how much Roger loves Wimbledon so I can't say I'd ever wish him NOT to win it. Although I want to see him win RG too. Good thing it's not one or the other. It is possible for him to win both. Now that's something I'd really love. And it would piss Sampras off which would be even bette.r

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
country flag Liverpool4ever

Liverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's because I am english, but Wimbledon to me is the biggest tournament and the one that matters most. Yes winning the French would be important, but not worth losing a Wimbledon title for and I think Federer agrees. Even when he was a youngster he has said that Wimbledon is his favourite tournament and his goal every year is to win Wimbledon as Mirkaland said. I just hope Federer does not get burned like Sampras did in 96 and end up with neither.
Liverpool4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Wimby without Rogi winning is like an English day without rain, mist, wind or greenfly... but as I said earlier this year, if Rogi were to win RG and only RG this year, I w be satisfied -- OK, I'd be ecstatically over the moon going crazy you'd be even more sick of me than you already are. Then again, if Rogi could win his elusive RG, he w be so confident and become just about as invincible as he could ever be and naturally go on to take Wimby as well.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
country flag Bagelicious

Bagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Screw 'em. IF Roger happens to win RG and doesn't have to beat Nadal to do it, so be it. If people were to bitch about that then I would bitch every time Nadal won a hard court tournament and didn't have to face James Blake.

I'm on the RG side. It's the toughest slam for him to get, and I'd prefer him to get it sooner rather than later because his chance dwindles with each year. And of course a win over Nadal would have me absolutely over the moon! I don't care if their career ending h2h is 2-44 in Nadal's favour as long as he wins when it matters the most.

I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!

Last edited by Bagelicious : 05-03-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Bagelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
country flag MissMoJo

MissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish there didn't have to be a trade off but, if he won RG at the expense of Wimby, it would be worth it...even if this scenario ruins my favorite sunday in july
Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #11
country flag Nocko

Nocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond reputeNocko has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

I think if Rogi win RG, then he win wimby, too.

Nick Bolletieri says Federer
"moves like a whisper and executes like a wrecking ball."
Federer Express,seat #88

Last edited by Nocko : 05-03-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Nocko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #12
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

I would, without the slightest hesitation.

But I think Roger would not agree with me (and the majority over here). I feel that he is emotionally connected to Wimbledon much stronger than to any other tournament (with Basel being the exception to the rule).
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
True ! If Roger has not to beat Nadal to be RG champion, it will probably mean that someone else will already have taken Nadal out, so Roger's crown will be totally deserved. Period ! Haters will always have something to complain about every single tourney Roger win, so nothing's new there...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

RG, definitely.

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #15
country flag FSRteam

FSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike federer I'd say RG!
FSRteam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote