Dirty Richie: Clay Season 2013 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirty Richie: Clay Season 2013

Richard comes back on the dirt.

And this year he will be merciless.

This is his quarter in MC:

(4)Berdych v BYE
Q v Granollers
Q v Stepanek
Fognini v (15)Seppi

(9)Cilic v Zeballos
Janowicz v Anderson
Dodig v Paire
BYE v (7)Gasquet

Allez!!

Last edited by afterglows : 04-13-2013 at 10:04 PM.
afterglows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

LOL at that picture!

So Richie & Mika not playing doubles?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirty Richie: Clay Season 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C View Post
LOL at that picture!

So Richie & Mika not playing doubles?
Piatti told me that LLodra is not coming to Monte Carlo, my tournament reports will be posted on rgnet.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
country flag tami

tami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the updates, looking forward to more coming direct from monte carlo!!!

triggered by the events of the davis cup weekend to gasquet and djokovic, and the media response to how their injuries impacted on the outcome of their respective teams, i have written a small article with my medical two cents about ankle sprains:

http://itsnotscrubs.wordpress.com/20.../ankle-sprain/

it's just what my experience has been treating these conditions, and i guess in a way it was a means to support the decision of being cautious about recovery. it was unfair for the media, and even some tennis icons in france, to make such comments when really the outcome should be seen as something contributed to by many factors. i really do hope gasquet doesn't get affected by their harsh criticisms, and just focus on his getting fit and ready for the clay season, which will be trying on his ankles :/

paire will be a test, so keep those positive (and always insightful) updates coming, puschkin!!
tami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, tami. i very often feel that competitive sports experience should be a requirement for sports writers because many just have no clue.

i once sprained my ankle very badly after landing wrong from a smash during a match. i continued to play on it throughout the season with my ankle taped coupled with intensive physical therapy (i rarely questioned my coach's decisions and often played through pain/injury). it took ages to heal and feel comfortable again, but even now many years later, it is not and never will be 100%. so i can empathize with and fully support the players when they decide to take time to recover from injury.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy to see that Richard did win his match this morning against Paire. From the scoreline , it looks like it was a strange match - but then Paire kind of has that effect on matches, doesn't he ? He is a volatile and unusual style player . His quote after the match is that he is a bit "afraid of Richard " . hmmmm - that strikes me as kind of funny - Richard is not the least bit intimidating in anyway that I have ever seen Not even when he had that little spat with the umpire in Miami

As for the ankle , I totally agree with tami . As a nurse , and former dancer who sprained her ankle numerous times , a sprain can take as long to heal as a broken bone - and they reoccur frequently , once the ligaments of the joint have been weakened. I see no reason to criticize any player who would not want to risk injury or to play through the pain . Actually , I would be more critical of a player - like Djokovic - who would risk his own health and the rest of his year , by playing on an injury that was so clearly a problem. I fear Nole may have made a huge mistake and may have compromised the entire clay season by his decision to keep playing that day .

good luck in the future rounds , Richard !
scmom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
country flag tami

tami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond repute

it was a positive start to the clay season for sure; it was a careful match from gasquet, judging by the winners-unforced errors ratio during the first set and a half. only when paire stayed more steadily during the middle of the match and gasquet's dip in focus that triggered richie into playing a little bit more aggressively to steamroll through the deciding set. the confidence he built from the second half of last year has definitely settled him more, and there is a little more of a maturity to his application on the court which i'm really happy to see.....and i'm sure i'm not that only one

being medical, i get frustrated sometimes when people make light of injuries for sensational reporting. i get it, they may not understand the severity or complexity of the conditions, nor may they be particularly interested in doing so to voice their opinion. but what is most disappointing is when previous tennis pros make such comments, it's like as if they have overlooked what these injuries could do, if the appropriate time is not given for things to heal. it's not just a physical impact, but also can tear someone down mentally if they are having to play with worries about nursing an injury at the same time.

i know he's never been one to say too much to the media, but his responses to the ongoing questions about Davis Cup and the ankle injury has reflected how much more comfortable in his own skin he has become. he was succinct about his dissection of the situation, so as to respond to the curious journos. however, he was also quite clear that this is a decision he has made which he has no regrets over, because he felt he has answered to the french DC captain and team, and they understood. that's all his responsibilities lie, and i think that's positive. what's most impressive was that he rounded his opinions of the issue by making it known that while it does bother him what the media write and spin these things into, he's not going to let it get to him that much. he understands that at the end of the day, the media has to find something to write and hand in. it's a little bit of sarcastic, wry humour perhaps, but it shows he recognises that his place as a public figure, it's inevitable that decisions he makes will be written about and interpreted any which way. yet at the end of the day, he's learned to deal with it, and so far his actions, results and composure in 2013 has shown this.

echoing scmom's wishes - good luck sur la terre battue, richie!!!
tami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Seems as if I am the only one enjoying Monte Carlo: 7-5 6-4 against Cilic.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
country flag T.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Seems as if I am the only one enjoying Monte Carlo: 7-5 6-4 against Cilic.
I've been quietly following and cheering. I haven't seen the match (will watch the replay later) but from what I read in l'equipe, he doesn't seem content with his form. What do you think of Richard's game right now?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Allez Richard!! Keep it up!!

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

was disappointed that none of the match against Cilic was shown on the Tennis Channel coverage today
Hope he continues the winning ways against Fognini - and keeps his focus. Fognini seems to get into gamesmanship at times and can distract his opponents .
Good luck , Richard !
scmom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Very poor match from Richard. After first few games, Fognini had 13 winners and Richard 0. That tells me he did not really show up to win that match. Richard has become a solid grinder nowdays with an occasional flashy shot. Fognini looked like a more talented, higher ranked, more skillful player. Richard looked like a third tier Spanish moonballer. Unless he realizes that only his attacking tennis will move him any higher than 9 in the world (or will get him back in 1/4 of a Slam), I think where he is now is the ceiling of his rankings.

Overall, completely outclassed. It was not even as close as score indicated. Had fognini not hit a bad match in middle of first set, it could have been 6-1, 6-2.
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

I only saw a very little, just saw the Highlights..... Fognini played well, congrats to him!

Richard has pulled OUT of Barcelona...... He said that he needs rest, he has been travelling a lot and considering he went straight from Miami to Argentina.

Good move from him, he will be 100% fit come Madrid. 2 weeks break!

ALLEZ!

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C View Post
I've been quietly following and cheering. I haven't seen the match (will watch the replay later) but from what I read in l'equipe, he doesn't seem content with his form. What do you think of Richard's game right now?

I have seen all his matches and most of his practise sets (against Seppi, Berdych, del Potro and Tsonga) and warm-ups. He is right, he looked tired throughout the week and it was plain to see. Given these circumstances, it was a good achievement to beat Cilic, he will have some time to recharge the batteries at home in the south of France.

No doubles in Madrid, right decision!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Last edited by Puschkin : 04-25-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
he will have some time to recharge the batteries at home in the south of France.
It seems that Gasquet is at Barcelona right now.

Source

afterglows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote