Andy becomes Stefankinstien's monster!! (Andy's coach thread) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #16
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paul Annacone to Coach Andy? (Andy's Coach Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Honestly I don't want Andy thinking too much on court, he's at his best when just playing by instinct.
I don't think he is suffering from the "too many options" mindset out there. I refuse to believe anyone apart from maybe Saffy is hopeless when it comes to tactical thought on the tennis court.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Honestly I don't want Andy thinking too much on court, he's at his best when just playing by instinct.
Exactly and that's what he's not doing right now. so I think there's a good argument to be made that John, who knows his game and his personality and his mind better than anyone else, might be the best one to help him get back to that instinctive kind of play.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ˇ|:!
Exactly and that's what he's not doing right now. so I think there's a good argument to be made that John, who knows his game and his personality and his mind better than anyone else, might be the best one to help him get back to that instinctive kind of play.
I agree. In certain matches, Andy has suffered from thinking too much, and this isn't just an Andy problem but a player problem. When you think too much you end up confusing yourself because then you start to question everything you do and that's trouble right there. There's no room for debating with yourself out there. Even Roger has said that he plays better on instinct and Marcos admitted that his problem at the final of AO was that he was "thinking too much." Sometimes you just gotta trust your gut.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #19
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
I agree. In certain matches, Andy has suffered from thinking too much, and this isn't just an Andy problem but a player problem. When you think too much you end up confusing yourself because then you start to question everything you do and that's trouble right there. Even Roger has said that he plays better on instinct and Marcos admitted that his problem at the final of AO was that he was "thinking too much." Sometimes you just gotta trust your gut.
Exactly, it's not a coaching problem. A coach can't just force a player to stop thinking so much. But a guy like John who knows Andy so well, they're so close, etc., maybe he can help him get back to that.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, when did Henman dump Annacone? How did I miss that?

I am pretty sure that both Jan-Mike and Justin (who played John in juniors) have said that John was a very talented player and he would have been a legitimate pro player if he had not suffered a career ending back injury. He also coached at Georgia, and I don't think he would have left a job like that to branch out on his own with an academy if he couldn't sustain his clients with good coaching.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #21
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Exactly, it's not a coaching problem. A coach can't just force a player to stop thinking so much. But a guy like John who knows Andy so well, they're so close, etc., maybe he can help him get back to that.
Ja ja. I think he has started to do just that. (Fat John ) After the Ferrer match at Nasdaq when Andy said that he believed he was finally starting to play good tennis again, he was right and I think his matches at DC prove it. He could have very easily have lost to either Massu or especially Gonzo. The way Andy played the Gonzo match was so thrilling, such vintage Roddick, I could barely contain myself and I think everybody who was watching realized too that Andy may have finally turned a corner out of this slump.

Heh. I've watched that Gonzo match like five times now. I just love it.

By the way Debs, please send Massu match when you get the chance. In return, I will send you back some lovely DVD matches and I promise not to surprise you will any more crazy matches.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 04-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #22
country flag Deboogle!.

Stop making sense, Fee. You know that's not allowed here

I had not heard anything about Annacone and Pete splitting either. I mean they worked on an "intermittent" basis anyway, not traveling together all the time, so yeah.

Okay tangy I can send it next week or something....to your work? I think i have your business card still.

The gonzo match was indeed great. but, the he regressed again in Houston and lost a match everyone who saw it says he should've won against a guy who was in extreme pain.... sooo....

Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #23
Last dance, Andy

Quote:
Stop making sense, Fee. You know that's not allowed here
Making sense is perfectly allowed here in the AR forum. It's not allowed in GM.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

1- I love Andy, he's the one who really brought me to loving tennis and I have modeled so much of my game after him but...he's not that smart of a player. Sure he's a smart guy but, on the court sometimes he just plays retard tennis. I felt like when Brad was around he got Andy thinking and his tactics were better. If you pair Andy up with someone who can help him with his strategy, he would have better results. That's why Brad worked so well because he's the master of strategy.

2- A name coach brings a mystique to the locker room. When players see you have Rafter, Stitch, or Courier in your box it's gotta be intimidating. Also for Andy this could bring him some confidence because you have the experience of another champion in your box, someone who knows exactly what you are going through...something John can't relate to.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
1- I love Andy, he's the one who really brought me to loving tennis and I have modeled so much of my game after him but...he's not that smart of a player. Sure he's a smart guy but, on the court sometimes he just plays retard tennis. I felt like when Brad was around he got Andy thinking and his tactics were better. If you pair Andy up with someone who can help him with his strategy, he would have better results. That's why Brad worked so well because he's the master of strategy.
then why did Andy's results start to slide badly under Brad? Brad's master strategy helped him lose the last 20 points in a row to Hewitt? Andy played some of his best tennis of 2004 when Brad didn't even accompany him to Thailand and Spain for Davis Cup. Sick of hearing how great Brad was for him, by the end, Andy's problems were already starting.
Quote:
2- A name coach brings a mystique to the locker room. When players see you have Rafter, Stitch, or Courier in your box it's gotta be intimidating. Also for Andy this could bring him some confidence because you have the experience of another champion in your box, someone who knows exactly what you are going through...something John can't relate to.
Wow, I just don't agree with that at all, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #26
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
then why did Andy's results start to slide badly under Brad? Brad's master strategy helped him lose the last 20 points in a row to Hewitt? Andy played some of his best tennis of 2004 when Brad didn't even accompany him to Thailand and Spain for Davis Cup. Sick of hearing how great Brad was for him, by the end, Andy's problems were already starting.
Wow, I just don't agree with that at all, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
Although his results may have slid, Andy never played better tennis than he did when he was with Brad. That Wimbly 04' final was the best, the best I have ever seen him play, and that summer hardcourt season 03' was a dream too. I don't disagree that it was time for a change, things weren't working anymore but Brad did a lot for Andy's game. With Brad Andy went from hopeful to Champion. Brad was great for Andy, Andy may never be that great again.
That's the gospel.

Last edited by Fumus : 04-28-2006 at 06:50 PM. Reason: a lot of reasons...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #27
Last dance, Andy

Fumus, as I told you: watch the Gonzo torrent and you will see vintage Roddick in action again.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 04-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #28
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
.....alot......

Old 04-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #29
country flag Fumus

Quote:
fixed!!
That's the gospel.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #30
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Although his results may have slid, Andy never played better tennis than he did when he was with Brad. That Wimbly 04' final was the best, the best I have ever seen him play, and that summer hardcourt season 03' was a dream too. I don't disagree that it was time for a change, things weren't working anymore but Brad did a lot for Andy's game. With Brad Andy went from hopeful to Champion. Brad was great for Andy, Andy may never be that great again.
okay so, now I can read this

I mean yea maybe Brad was the right guy at the time, but he's clearly not the right guy anymore, so why discuss it? It's moot now, no?

If we're gonna talk about Andy revisiting past coaches, I think Tarik would be a better discussion, considering the complaint people had about him was that he was too intense and fired up and that's what we're talking about Andy needing more of again.