Votes: 35 27.1%
  • 10 years+

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • 15 years+

Votes: 24 18.6%

How long have YOU played?

6K views 82 replies 50 participants last post by  Hawkman 
#1 · (Edited)
How long have you played tennis? At what level? ( High school, college, other )
The poll is just to see how long you've played, other stats which go with experience are welcome.

#57 ·
dkw said:
^ The court is not green, the ball isn't yellow... Sh*t!!! My next lesson I promise, I promise I'll pay closer attention.
Hee! You remind me of a fella that I had some lessons with that we became friends with. He was a college baseball player for Duke (shortstop and had a batting average of around .289) and was just like - I know the ball and the court- when can I thwack it? So much fun to have a lesson with. :)

You may be sarcastic in your posts- but the tone of them still reminded me of this great guy and now friend.

#58 ·
Interesting... my tennis instructor is always trying to tell me hitting my backhand has the same body weight distribution as a baseball player setting up to take a swing. But some how I think it's a little different because I don't think baseball players scream and cover their eyes when the ball is thrown in their direction.

#60 ·
I used to play tennis when I was a teenager, I had to stop when I was 15 because of back problems (I still have) and knee problems. I've played for 5 years but took lessons 3 years only. I only played for my leisure, I have never player in a competition for my club. I have never hold a racket since, but would love, each time I see live tennis. It's still a great sport to watch and to practrice, but not very good for the health unfortunately.

#62 ·
enqvistfan said:
It's still a great sport to watch and to practrice, but not very good for the health unfortunately.
If you don't play on the professional level, (I mean not that much) , you'll stay (be) healthy. And even better if you have a chance to play on a clay courts. (It's easier to stay healthy and avoid injury on that surface, it's seems more organic to me).

#63 ·
i really want to chek out clay courts here in ARizona :D Maybe they have them? Maybe they don't? What do you think/ :)
Primal said:
If you don't play on the professional level, (I mean not that much) , you'll stay (be) healthy. And even better if you have a chance to play on a clay courts. (It's easier to stay healthy and avoid injury on that surface, it's seems more organic to me).

#66 ·
anserq said:
lol yes, ofcourse hehe, but im just saying... clay courts are better than hard courts? Exercise wise? :cool:

I really think so. As for me there's no question. But from the other hand may be it's just a different approach.

Clay courts are softer, and I dont know how to say...deeper? :)

Anyway you should try it yourself.

BTW I've never played on grass, have you? How does it feel?

#68 ·
Primal said:
I really think so. As for me there's no question. But from the other hand may be it's just a different approach.

Clay courts are softer, and I dont know how to say...deeper? :)

Anyway you should try it yourself.

BTW I've never played on grass, have you? How does it feel?
Hehe no way, i have never played on grass courts nor clay courts. THey are both very foreign court types to me, but i do wish to try both surfaces. :D

#69 ·
i started playing junior year of high school to senior year, was on the team first as jv and then singles. i went to college and pretty much stopped except for the very seldom saturday swing. in my last year of college, i took a class and it was very much a process of relearning strokes and footwork while learning new things. that has continued until today, a year and a half later of figuring things out, making a million subtle adjustments and corrections to my technique,i feel like im playing good tennis for the first time.

#71 ·
Pigpen Stinks said:
Oh, it's been about 40 years for me. I started as a young lad and worked my way onto the pro tour where I spent 10 years and achieved a career high rank of 14. Some of you may be familiar with my son, Xristos. We share many of the same qualities.
rofl. :yeah:

#73 ·
I put 1+ but I haven't played for a full year yet. The second Saturday of Wimbledon will be my first anniversary. :) I only really started watching Tennis last Spring and by the time Wimby rolled around I was hooked and decided to take a private lesson at my local club to see if it was something I could enjoy playing. I don't think I have ever loved something so much, I play at least 6 days a week. I'm not all that good right now (3.5) but I feel like I'm making big improvements month to month and it's not like I'm going to stop playing anytime soon.

It's abit weird to say, but I really feel like Tennis has been life changing for me. I never considered myself to be physically inclined, so I'd always avoided sports. It's hard to describe the difference being active and lighter (50lb) can make on a persons entire lifestyle and outlook.

#75 ·
Pigpen Stinks said:
Oh, it's been about 40 years for me. I started as a young lad and worked my way onto the pro tour where I spent 10 years and achieved a career high rank of 14. Some of you may be familiar with my son, Xristos. We share many of the same qualities.
lmao, lmao.
I played for like 2 years when I was akid and started playing again 3 years ago. I play about 3 or 4 days a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.