Nadal has shown Federer isn't as great as he thinks - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
country flag Velvetcat

Velvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nadal has shown Federer isn't as great as he thinks

Don't think this has been posted yet. An interesting article in a variety of ways.
Quote:
Nadal has shown Federer isn't as great as he thinks
JAY CLARK
Packet columist
Published Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Is Roger Federer as great as everyone proclaims?

No question, the guy has been utterly dominant in men's tennis the past few years. He's breaking records and creating new ones. Kicking butt and taking names. He steps onto the court, and just when you think guys like Andre Agassi and Marcos Baghdatis have a chance, Federer is smiling his seemingly toothless grin and waving in victory to the crowd and girlfriend Mirka.

That leaves viewers to wonder, "Who can beat this guy?" and, "Her?" And he does it all with an affable off-court demeanor, surprising accessibility to the media and arms that rival the Olsen twins' in their modest circumference.

Yet, his superiority remains unconvincing.

Look beyond the hairy Pete Sampras-like exterior, and there is an underlying vulnerability to Roger. Think I'm crazy? Who would you pick in a bar fight -- Jennifer Capriati or Federer? On second thought, given Capriati's background, maybe that's not the best comparison. ... I would pick her in any competition against anyone at any bar. The body shot is the shot she does best.

Anyway, thank goodness there is someone who can beat Federer on the tennis court. With the arrival of Rafael Nadal, the Mighty Fed (favorite nickname of journalists), the Fed Express (overused by ESPN), R. Fed (OK, I made that one up) has become human. Bring on the comic book metaphors, because with four of five meetings going to Nadal, it appears we have found Federer's kryptonite. And this kryptonite continues to rock the capri pants. In fact, their matches cannot even be considered fair until Roger dons an Old Navy vest to level the playing field.

Nadal's most recent victory over Federer, on clay at Monte Carlo in the final this past Sunday, must have been particularly sweet. Beforehand, when the press questioned Federer about Nadal's game, R. Fed temporarily forgot to be diplomatic, saying Nadal was "quite one-dimensional." Also, Federer predicted it was only a matter of time before he figured out the teenager's game.

Four-sets and another loss later, Federer still contends this to be true: "The more I play against him, the more I'll be able to figure out his game."

This argument would hold a little more weight if the same couldn't be said by Nadal. Or have these two secretly been playing each other without the other one knowing it?

There is an expression Federer's face makes, particularly when he misses a shot at an inopportune moment in the match. His lips contort in a scrunched up, Walter Matthau-esque fashion. His eyes narrow into darkened slits, and he transforms into a petulant 8-year-old who hasn't gotten his way. Then he berates himself, storms to the opposite side of the court and reverts to normal.

We will most likely see this face in the French Open final, when Roger shanks yet another backhand due to Nadal's lefty forehand spin.

Let the tantrum begin.
http://www.islandpacket.com/editoria...-5102076c.html
Velvetcat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal has shown Federer isn't as great as he thinks

Sundays' final showed the world that Roger was just an average tennis player ! He had had a lot of luck the past 3 years, that's all...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

He's so inmature

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower

Sundays' final showed the world that Roger was just an average tennis player ! He had had a lot of luck the past 3 years, that's all...
lol, what a loser. he's so bad for the sport. he should just quit tomorrow and join a Guggen Band for the Basel Fasnacht!

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
country flag Velvetcat

Velvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond reputeVelvetcat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Wake up sleepy head. Surely The Federer Defense never rests?
Velvetcat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
country flag anserq

anserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond repute

Rofl @ you guys. You're joking right?
Racquet: Prince Diablo XP
anserq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
country flag anserq

anserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond reputeanserq has a reputation beyond repute

So ehh, Nadal is the only one who can beat Federer? When is the next hard court tournament coming up? Which Nadal and Fed both will be attending.
Racquet: Prince Diablo XP
anserq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. B
lol, what a loser. he's so bad for the sport. he should just quit tomorrow and join a Guggen Band for the Basel Fasnacht!
I'm just waiting for the media to start droaning on and on about how tennis is so boring because Nadal wins everything and has no competition.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetcat
Wake up sleepy head. Surely The Federer Defense never rests?
No it just gets bored with the same shit different day.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
country flag Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond reputeSolid_Snake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look beyond the hairy Pete Sampras-like exterior, and there is an underlying vulnerability to Roger.
Solid_Snake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

This is just unbelievable. My thoughts on this.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...85&postcount=7
Old 04-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
I'm just waiting for the media to start droaning on and on about how tennis is so boring because Nadal wins everything and has no competition.
Another Friggin Federer hater takes a jab at Roger............So what's new this morning Sooner or later, the media will also turn on Nadal, I hope this thread starter also post those articles...........It's reasonable to assume that there have been journalist that weren't exactly peachy keen about Roger..........Well, they're now coming out of the woodwork to take their shots at Roger........It happens to every athlete.........

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 04-26-2006 at 02:44 PM.
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
country flag almouchie

almouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond repute

it appears we have found Federer's kryptonite. And this kryptonite continues to rock the capri pants

I like that
looks like someon people have converted
just shows u the media can at one point lift a player into starom & perfection
& then the next deem he merely ordinary
Federer is neither, he is in between
can u imagine if Fed loses next time to Rafa
what will happen in the press
Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

It's one thing to say that Nadal is in Roger's head, will always cause him troubles, will be difficult for Roger to beat, ect. But to say this proves Roger isn't "all that"? That's taking it a bit far, isn't it? I mean James Blake has beaten Nadal in 2005 and 2006 but he has yet to win an encounter against Roger. I'm sure you could say that about other players that have beaten Nadal as well. So what. Nadal's a bad match up for Roger. How does that translate into Roger's not as great as everyone thinks?