Adidas SUES Wimbledon, Grand Slams - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adidas SUES Wimbledon, Grand Slams

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060425/..._vs__wimbledon

Adidas SUES Wimbledon, Grand Slams
By KRYSTYNA RUDZKI, AP Sports Writer
Tue Apr 25, 11:36 AM ET

WIMBLEDON, England - Adidas is suing the four Grand Slam tournaments and the International Tennis Federation in a dispute over the size of its logo.

Wimbledon officials said Tuesday that Adidas filed papers in London's High Court last week seeking an injunction against a rule limiting the size of logos on players' clothing. Adidas also filed a claim for damages.

Wimbledon is the first Grand Slam event affected by the dispute, which began last May. Adidas is also suing the U.S., Australian and French Opens.

All England Club chief executive Ian Ritchie said Wimbledon would "vigorously defend" the case, which he described as "totally without foundation."

The Grand Slam Committee ruled last May that Adidas' three stripes were a "manufacturers' identification" and not a "design effect." Adidas was told its logos must be no larger than 4-square inches.

The rule goes into effect on June 26, the first day of play at Wimbledon.

The German sporting goods manufacturer said Tuesday the rule was issued "one-sidedly, without respecting the industry's needs and without considering concerns raised in advance."

The company said the rule "discriminates against Adidas and infringes elementary EU competition rights."

Adidas contended the three stripes running down shirt sleeves or shorts are not a standard logo. It said the official logo is the "performance logo" depicting three stripes arranged in a pyramid with Adidas written underneath.

"We do not want a situation where we see players covered in large numbers of manufacturers' identifications and have large crocodiles and large swooshes," Ritchie said. "If you accept the situation with the three stripes, then you open the floodgates to players being advertising billboards."

Ritchie said the Grand Slam committee had increased the size for logos from 2-square inches to 4, and given Adidas 13 months to comply with the new rule. He said Adidas' reaction was "heavy-handed."

"We think that's a perfectly reasonable compromise and they should comply with that," Ritchie said. "As far as I'm aware, the other manufacturers have said they are happy with the situation. We need to be equal to everybody."

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adidas SUES Wimbledon, Grand Slams

:retard: I'd love to know what they're suing for exactly - what the cause of action is... sounds pretty frivolous to me.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

I just love lawyers...

Sorry Deb
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

I hate EU law and this case does nothing good for me
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

That is not the kind of lawyer I want to be.. at ALL

I dunno the EU's laws, but I don't think a case like this wouldn't pass what we call the "laugh test" in the US.

Sounds to me like Adidas has their panties in a twist for something stupid. It's not the ITF or the Slams' fault if their logo is designed such that it breaks their rules. Everyone associates adidas with the 3 stripes so for them to argue that it's not a logo is just ridiculous.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Nevertheless, it's a good attempt by Adidas in spinning this.......... Those lawyers must have been paid quite a bit to come up with this strategy which can be easily proven false by walking down a road and showing the very said shirts and pants in dispute - minus the 4 inch logo with the name Adidas - to random people and asking them to identify the brand......I'd bet most people would know it's Adidas.........

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ˇ|:!
That is not the kind of lawyer I want to be.. at ALL

I dunno the EU's laws, but I don't think a case like this wouldn't pass what we call the "laugh test" in the US.

Sounds to me like Adidas has their panties in a twist for something stupid. It's not the ITF or the Slams' fault if their logo is designed such that it breaks their rules. Everyone associates adidas with the 3 stripes so for them to argue that it's not a logo is just ridiculous.
I know j/k.

Adidas is just trying to gain some publicity. They are probably smart enough to realize that these tennis governing bodies will not change their rules because other sports companies will counter sue.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like Adidas wants to keep their 3 stripes in their clothing contesting they are NOT part of the brand but the GS commission thinks otherwise.

I remember a certain athlete in the past who was sponsored by Adidas and when he had to take part in an interntional event together with his country team, he had to switch to another brand during the duration of the event but his sponsor would not allow it and he took part in the event wearing a shirt customised with a sticky tape making up the 3rd Adidas stripe. No need to say that the "other brand" had 2 stripes.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Those lawyers must have been paid quite a bit to come up with this strategy
I'm sure

The thing is... well I dunno how it is in the UK or EU, but in the US you can't just sue for something being unfair. You actually have to have a claim. like, assault, battery, trespass, whatever. I mean the article says they sued for an injunction - but on what grounds? And damages? Huh? How? why? They say "competition rights" - okay. so... like antitrust? Again, it's not the Slams' fault that Adidas's logo is big three stripes stuff. I supose if they're just asking for a declaratory judgment to determine whether the three stripes is part of a design or part of the logo, well then that'd make sense I guess... but that's not what they're asking for so that's moot.

Unless they can prove that the slam committee had adidas in mind and intended to discriminate against it when it formed the rule (which I'd highly doubt), I don't see that they have a leg to stand on.

Too bad, adidas was my favorite sporting brand but this is just lame-o.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez
I hate EU law and this case does nothing good for me
i'll have it in 2 years

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
country flag Hank777

Hank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond reputeHank777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The company said the rule "discriminates against Adidas and infringes elementary EU competition rights."

Adidas contended the three stripes running down shirt sleeves or shorts are not a standard logo. It said the official logo is the "performance logo" depicting three stripes arranged in a pyramid with Adidas written underneath.

"We do not want a situation where we see players covered in large numbers of manufacturers' identifications and have large crocodiles and large swooshes," Ritchie said. "If you accept the situation with the three stripes, then you open the floodgates to players being advertising billboards."
Well as lawyer to be, I can say I'm somewhat familiar with EU law, and it's absolutely not laughable, it's a typical chauvinistic US statement. I love the US but EU makes plenty of sense, it's what makes the EU function economically speaking.

Anyway, as far as the claim, I think Adidas has a bit of a weak argument, though "technically speaking" they could be right, it's all up to the judge, funny though the UK is not a EU-member, so that makes it all the more intersting from a jurisdictional point of view.

I think "themed stripes" are not THE LOGO, but "influenced" by it. It's obvious it is from Adidas, but it also true that their logo is the 3 stripes pyramid.

Probably it won't take, EU competition laws usually regard "fair trade regulation" so I don't see that exactly as legislation to put any money on ...

Intersting article MANGOES, thanks, let's see what happens. Maybe LLEYton's lawyer can help out

Serve & Volley : an art on the verge of extinction, time to bring it back
Hank777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

No one said that EU law was laughable, just that viewed under US law, this lawsuit would be laughable.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank777
Well as lawyer to be, I can say I'm somewhat familiar with EU law, and it's absolutely not laughable, it's a typical chauvinistic US statement. I love the US but EU makes plenty of sense, it's what makes the EU function economically speaking.

Anyway, as far as the claim, I think Adidas has a bit of a weak argument, though "technically speaking" they could be right, it's all up to the judge, funny though the UK is not a EU-member, so that makes it all the more intersting from a jurisdictional point of view.

I think "themed stripes" are not THE LOGO, but "influenced" by it. It's obvious it is from Adidas, but it also true that their logo is the 3 stripes pyramid.

Probably it won't take, EU competition laws usually regard "fair trade regulation" so I don't see that exactly as legislation to put any money on ...

Intersting article MANGOES, thanks, let's see what happens. Maybe LLEYton's lawyer can help out
Hi Hank777

The themed stripes are part of the Adidas branding, Adidas is saying the three stripes aren't a part of their brand, but a design........BS Adidas.........I think most people know this so I don't think this stance by Adidas is going to fly in most courts of law......... As I suggested earlier, the atp lawyers can disprove Adidas claim by simply taking a nike designed shirt, putting the three stripes down the side and asking random people to guess the brand of the shirt.........most people will say Adidas based on the three stripes, even though they may have recognized the Nike design...... I'm curious as to if the three stripes are trademarked by Adidas......I suppose I can go look it up, but, I don't care for the extra work

Tennis Helps!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

mangoes dear, your wish is my command

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78539734
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78539470
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=76535511
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=74653303
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=74653302
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=74653301
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=74653296

Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Adidas. If the three stripes aren't going to be allowed, then all shirt manufacturers will just have to put out white shirts for the players with little logos being the only thing that differenciates them, because shirt designs are unique to the company making them.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote