Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #121
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,464
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Well the match wasn't too bad, especially the 1st set there were plenty of tough rallies there and initially Gaston was quite astute tactically, though he did hit too much to the open court.

There were some interesting moments and some outstanding points that highlighted the enjoyable features of claycourt tennis. Both guys knew what the other was trying to do and seeing how they combated it was fun to watch.

The 1st set well Gaston leads 3-1, then it gets after Rafa holds, then Gaston down 0-40 decides to hold serve after a huge battle and that gives him some confidence for the rest of the set. Some excellent volleys and backhands from Gaston, some quality defensive skills from Rafa and he showed it takes at least 4 or 5 more shots to win points against him.

Then the 2nd set starts and this where Gaston lost his concentration and that can't be done against Nadal especially on clay and he started to get lazy with the footwork and whereas the forehand wasn't at its best in the 1st set, he starts making errors on the backhand. Nadal was just being consistent and placing the ball deep and hitting some excellent drop shots at the right moment and steams through the 2nd set.

Gaston showed his racquet smashing skills, which aren't bad for a small guy and the incessant chats with Davin and Pantera, who have heard it all before and the running commentary. Shaking the chair of umpire Pascal Maria, well not the best, but if it was Norm Chryst then it would have been deserved.

The final turning point in this match was 1 all in the 3rd set and 30-0 on Gaston's serve. Well he decided to be Santa Claus and give up 4 unforced errors in a row to lose his serve and once this happened, in essence it was game over.

Nadal took advantage like a top player should and then Gaston was totally deflated mentally and was mauled into the ground as he should have been.

Gaston played well in parts and Nadal was his solid self and had some excellent gets and his mentality was the clear difference. He kept his concentration up for the whole match and he didn't panic after losing the 1st set,and mentally imposed himself on Gaudio.

Gaston still has a way to go, but there is somewhere to build from.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #122
country flag Vale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,333
Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well, the match wasn't too bad.
I don´t think we were watching the same match!

This reminds me of a description of the typical English understatements:
If you ask an Englishman "How was the party", he´ll answer "It was murder!",
but if you ask him "How was the battle", he´ll answer "Rather uncomfortable".

Anyway, Gastón has said in the press conference that his problem was mainly physical, that he wasn´t sufficiently well prepared physically to play more than one set with such intensity, and that he hopes to be better prepared for the next tournament.
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #123
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,464
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
I don´t think we were watching the same match!

This reminds me of a description of the typical English understatements:
If you ask an Englishman "How was the party", he´ll answer "It was murder!",
but if you ask him "How was the battle", he´ll answer "Rather uncomfortable".

Anyway, Gastón has said in the press conference that his problem was mainly physical, that he wasn´t sufficiently well prepared physically to play more than one set with such intensity, and that he hopes to be better prepared for the next tournament.
Since when does 1 good set make a good match?

Well, Gaston has 2 weeks without tennis and should be doing some training in this time and he should be ready to play for long as it takes and the physical side of things can be controlled.

As long as he is ready by RG that's what really counts.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #124
country flag Vale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,333
Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Since when does 1 good set make a good match?
I refer to the general “feel” of the message you transmit…
Since I joined the Gaudio forum in MTF I’ve tried to keep all Gastón’s fans informed about what was happening in his matches and to him as a person. I’ve done it especially thinking of those who haven’t been lucky enough to see a particular match. I’m not the moderator, but I take it as a duty just the same!

And now to this particular case in point: As you know, we’ve all been worried about Gastón’s level this year, and the most worried of all was Gastón himself. That’s why that first set against Nadal was so important, because he showed that his best tennis is back, and that’s what one must emphasize for his fans who didn’t see the match. The result wasn’t as important as what has happened to Gastón there in Monte Carlo. And ALL the media have commented on the fantastic tennis we saw in that 1:19 of the first set!

Gastón was the first to admit that he wasn’t sufficiently prepared to continue playing with that intensity, and that he has to improve that aspect. But when he arrived yesterday morning in BA and was asked at the airport did he think he had the level to be able to beat Nadal and Federer, he answered that his game on clay was on a par with them both (although he didn’t say he could beat them). That’s the first time in a great many months that he has shown such self-confidence. He can have a "relapse", I know, but just the same I’m hoping that this is the real start of a great year for him!
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #125
country flag Choupi
Registered User
 
Choupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 20,073
Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
Gastón was the first to admit that he wasn’t sufficiently prepared to continue playing with that intensity, and that he has to improve that aspect. But when he arrived yesterday morning in BA and was asked at the airport did he think he had the level to be able to beat Nadal and Federer, he answered that his game on clay was on a par with them both (although he didn’t say he could beat them). That’s the first time in a great many months that he has shown such self-confidence. He can have a "relapse", I know, but just the same I’m hoping that this is the real start of a great year for him!
Thanks for these updates Vale.
__________________
Best of LUCK to ALL my Faves in 2014
Choupi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #126
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,464
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royalty, Yuppies, Yachts, a bad Casino and no time for Jimmy's Bar Monte Carlo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
I refer to the general “feel” of the message you transmit…
Since I joined the Gaudio forum in MTF I’ve tried to keep all Gastón’s fans informed about what was happening in his matches and to him as a person. I’ve done it especially thinking of those who haven’t been lucky enough to see a particular match. I’m not the moderator, but I take it as a duty just the same!
Considering this forum would be fucked without your contributions, this is plainly obvious to see. but most of us in here will never know Gaston personally, it's only an image that we will get from him and whatever image that is, is totally dependent on the individual person.

Quote:
And now to this particular case in point: As you know, we’ve all been worried about Gastón’s level this year, and the most worried of all was Gastón himself. That’s why that first set against Nadal was so important, because he showed that his best tennis is back, and that’s what one must emphasize for his fans who didn’t see the match. The result wasn’t as important as what has happened to Gastón there in Monte Carlo. And ALL the media have commented on the fantastic tennis we saw in that 1:19 of the first set!
Gaston played well for a set and showed good signs that he has improved, but that good tennis was only for a set and not for 3 sets.

As for his intensity and fitness, well he can control that and that is one of the many things he needs to work on during his time away from tournaments and to be ready for his major.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios