Best 5 Set Records Active Players Only. Robredo leads - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #16
WyverN

WyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Best 5 Set Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Yes, that is how some of the best stories happen. I wonder if he ever beat the wall that he used to hit up against?
The wall is very good but surely it would make a unforced error before borg
WyverN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 10:16 AM   #17
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by WyverN
The wall is very good but surely it would make a unforced error before borg
That is the best comment of 2004, luckily I wouldn't have to put my house on this one. I think the match might go even longer than the 6hrs 20 min McEnroe vs Wilander DC match.

In summing up I think the wall might be a very slight favourite, it could go either way.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #18
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best 5 Set Records

Back onto the topic, as much as I am laughing at the wall comment.

As you said earlier it's interesting that the Poo and Safin who aren't widely known for their mental toughness, yet they are both in the top 10 of this list. Any other surprises on that list?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
WyverN

WyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond repute

rios, goran have a habit of collapsing but have very good 5 set records.
Koubek is a surprise as he does not have many major weapons.

Kafelnikov between 1998 and 2002 had a amazing 17-2 record.

He was a very good 5 set player and his overall record is a bit misleading as he went 0-3 in 2003.

Last edited by WyverN : 01-02-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #20
WyverN

Also Wayne Arthurs deserves a mention even though he does not meet your criteria, he is 7-1 in 5 set matches
Old 01-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #21
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Thanks for the evaluations, they were very interesting and yes Mr Arthurs deserves an honourable mention.

Koubek is actually quite a fit guy, and he can play fairly well when he could be bothered. Unfortunately he is a poorer version of Muster, and he doesn't have any great strengths, though he pulled off one of the best comebacks I have seen down 1-6, 0-6 1-4, 15-40 on serve and won the match.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #22
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

The Kafelnikov one is interesting, well his 03 record pretty much shows how far he has declined, he isn't even the mix to win the Slams these days, whereas even up to a few years ago he was always a chance except at Wimbledon.

Then again Rios and Goran despite at times being on different planet had those weapons with Rios the angles and creativity and Goran the huge serve which helped in some tight moments in the last sets.

Keep them coming, if anyone finds any more.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #23
WyverN

Quote:
Thanks for the evaluations, they were very interesting and yes Mr Arthurs deserves an honourable mention.

Koubek is actually quite a fit guy, and he can play fairly well when he could be bothered. Unfortunately he is a poorer version of Muster, and he doesn't have any great strengths, though he pulled off one of the best comebacks I have seen down 1-6, 0-6 1-4, 15-40 on serve and won the match.
who was that against?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:33 AM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

My mistake about the 1st set score I got the other way around.

The "great" Cyril Saulnier at the Australian Open in 2002. The result was 0-6 1-6 7-6(6) 6-4 8-6 and Saulnier had match points in the 3rd and 5th sets.

He also ran down Blake from 2 sets down as well in that tournament.

Actually I am enjoying this conversation, but for different reasons than usual.

Last edited by Action Jackson : 01-02-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #25
WyverN

Great comeback no matter who it was against

I am off to sleep now, yes this has been a nice change of pace.
A ray of sunlight before the storm I see ahead
Old 01-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #26
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

One last thing about the wall vs Borg. If you think Borg would have won, would it have been in 5 sets?

I just found out two other outstanding 5 set records from the past. Wyver these belong to two of your favourites.

Krickstein 28-9 at 75.67%
Muster 18-7 at 72%

Krickstein's included the feat of winning 8 times from 2 sets down, that rates his record very highly indeed.

What do you think of Nalbandian's chances of having an outstanding 5 set record that would compare with the best percentages from that list. He is 6-2 at the moment, I think he will do very well in this category.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #27
WyverN

Quote:
One last thing about the wall vs Borg. If you think Borg would have won, would it have been in 5 sets?
I don't think they would ever finish, you mentioned Borg's longest match was 6 hours 15 minutes.

I think it would take them that long to finish a practice rally that would decide who serves first.

Quote:
I just found out two other outstanding 5 set records from the past. Wyver these belong to two of your favourites.

Krickstein 28-9 at 75.67%
Muster 18-7 at 72%
Those are impressive. I recall Aaron beating Edberg at the Australian Open from being down 2 sets to love in 1995 during the 4th round. It was the first time since 1983 that Edberg didn't make at least the Quarters there.

28-9 really is incredible. The large amount of 2 set to love comebacks does show great fighting spirit and fitness but also suggests he was a slow starter and would only start playing when he was down and had to go for broke.

Muster's record is to be expected.

Quote:
What do you think of Nalbandian's chances of having an outstanding 5 set record that would compare with the best percentages from that list. He is 6-2 at the moment, I think he will do very well in this category.
Should do well, also Schuettler is he keeps up the good showings in slams.
His record is 4-1 right now and he is built like a horse and does not have a game that will get many straight set blowouts but rather wearing the opponent down over 5 long sets. If he had started performing earlier in his career and played a few more 5 set matches, his record would be excellent already.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #28
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Krickstein maybe he liked going 5 sets as a tactic, but yes he was a slow starter and seemed very passive at times. Krickstein did to Agassi as well when Agassi had the mullet, but 8 times is special and you were spot-on with your comments. Also maybe the players knew about his ability and they felt pressured if they didn't finish him in 3 he would come home and win.

Good comments again, yes I like to call Schuettler "Running Rainer" because of his excellent fitness, and I think he enjoys the running aspect and definitely he has the grinding game that doesn't always make it easy for him to win in straight sets.

Speaking of the Slams I saw what he did to Nalbandian at the AO last year, that was hideous, though Nalbandian smashed him in DC. It's interesting that he took a while to develop, maybe it was psychological or he didn't play in enough warm weather places.

Yeah Wyver, well I cant show off to many cards can I?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

that is very surprising and impressive about Mark, I wouldn't have guessed that.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #30
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Lapentti could be out of that list though he isn't in a bad position.

I always suffer so much with his slow/calm tennis, oh....and that sick sliced backhand that I hate.