I feel a Wawrinka-Murray AO 2015 Final - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default I feel a Wawrinka-Murray AO 2015 Final

First of all, I was going to do post this a little bit earlier, but I am kind of busy, and truth to be told it still seemed hard to imagine until the recent developments.

The following factors emerged since the start of the year:

1. Djokovic lost back-to-back January matches, with the first being against Stan in AO 2014, then Karlovic in Doha 2015. Personally, I don't the latter was a "tank" because Djokovic doesn't play 250s but speculating it was a necessity to get into winning form to AO, and some info about possible health issues (like fever) I think he seems vulnerable. His match against Bedene seem to show some vulnerability from him where he usually just loses around less than 8 games in early rounds.

2. Nadal has been really not doing well. Pushed to 5 my Smyczek and not really playing into good form is not a good sign going forward.

3. Seppi def. Federer.

4. Wawrinka seems very solid and escaped some tricky situations like against Copil. His groundstorkes seem crisp, and his FHDTL seems Nadal like sometimes in a sense he lifts his elbow more in that shot now.

5. Murray's form seem to be returning with solid performances against Matosevic and Sousa, while his draw is wide open, and I think he could reach the end by keeping a good consistency, IMO.

What do you think? Of course Djokovic is still the main favorite, but a part of me feels that something interesting is going to happen this AO, a feeling more open than 2014 was, that this prediction is not that far away IMO.

What do you think are the chances and how do you feel they could both reach it?
--------------------------------------------------

ATP World Tour 2015 Week 3 & 4: Australian Open (*)
AO's Big Four: MillmanDr. IvoCYGS TomicNew Top 10 Klizan
zjtennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel a Wawrinka-Murray AO 2015 Final

Actually I was thinking the same today.

Everything is okay but you are missing one crucial element here....NISHIKORI.

On 6th Feb 2014,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Carpet View Post
Nishikori will never be a TOP 10 player.Probably Dimitrov will be the first to reach Top 10, since he's progressing more.
On Dec 7, 2014, ( Regarding current Top 10 on grass)
Quote:
1. Dimitrov 2. Federer 3. Djokovic
On Jan 10 2015,
Quote:
Dimitrov will win slams, Nishikori will win ATP 500's and Raonic will win ace titles, simple as that.
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
country flag Police of Mind

Police of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't mind seeing that actually, but I don't see it happening. Still far too many questions over both.
Police of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
country flag monfed
Banned!

monfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond reputemonfed has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible but it depends on Nadal sadly. Nadal's just too unpredictable to really say if he'll go out or not. I mean in the first two sets against Sela he was just murdering the ball even from his BH wing. And looking at his draw I can't see anyone but Murray taking him out but that depends a lot on how Murray is feeling physically. Will 2014 backray make an appearance? Will Andy choke away big points which he tends to do against Nadal? Will he play with killer instinct? Does Nadal want it more than Andy? IDK I'm not sure if Andy can take him out but then again he could.
monfed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
Actually I was thinking the same today.

Everything is okay but you are missing one crucial element here....NISHIKORI.
I agree too with Nishikori. Did Nishikori not lost a Set yet? I think we could substitute Wawrinka for him in terms of the surprise(-ish) Final. Just saying that it would be interesting to see this final because it could solidify the Big Four block (in a sense that they are the only quartet to have 3 of the 4 Slams in a while) or make it more complicated (makes Stan a 2-Slam winner which could be an interesting debate on weighing consistency and achievements).

Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
country flag Jamvol

Jamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dream this final occured the other night (yes you know you are a saddo when you dream about tennis ).

It won't happen though. If Murray gets past Dimitrov he'll probably make the SF and either play Nadal (who has his number in slams - especially in SFs, or Berdych, who is quite a bad match-up for Murray).

As for Wawrinka I just can't see him beating Nishikori - Djokovic back to back. He needs one of those guys to be upset imo.

I still think a Djokovic - Nadal final is about 80% possibility at this point.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the OP, this feels like a very open AO, and Djokovic, albeit the first favourite, looks vulnerable.
I feel like Raonic will reach his first slam final. Would be nice for Murray to finally win his maiden AO title, his finals record in Australia is like Djoko's used to be at the USO.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
country flag Rustie

Rustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond reputeRustie has a reputation beyond repute

See the sig

Andy Hardray

Wawrinka - Ferrer - Nishikori - Del Potro

Australian Open '15 Prediction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
I know this might seem a bit left field but I think Ferrer has got a shot at making the final here.
Rustie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
country flag Jamvol

Jamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
See the sig
Ferrer will be doing very well to get past Nishikori considering how many times he choked against him last year.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond reputeDirewolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjtennis View Post
I agree too with Nishikori. Did Nishikori not lost a Set yet? I think we could substitute Wawrinka for him in terms of the surprise(-ish) Final. Just saying that it would be interesting to see this final because it could solidify the Big Four block (in a sense that they are the only quartet to have 3 of the 4 Slams in a while) or make it more complicated (makes Stan a 2-Slam winner which could be an interesting debate on weighing consistency and achievements).
If there was a final not involving Djokovic, I wished it to be Wawrinka-Nishikori..Shame that they frequently put almost all of my favorites in the same group (Djok, Nishikori, Delpo, JJ, Wawrinka).

On 6th Feb 2014,
Quote:
Nishikori will never be a TOP 10 player.Probably Dimitrov will be the first to reach Top 10, since he's progressing more.
On Dec 7, 2014, ( Regarding current Top 10 on grass)
Quote:
1. Dimitrov 2. Federer 3. Djokovic
On Jan 10 2015,
Quote:
Dimitrov will win slams, Nishikori will win ATP 500's and Raonic will win ace titles, simple as that.
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
country flag RuRo

RuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond reputeRuRo has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka is chilling in by far the easiest section of the draw so he should make the QF easily, and he seems to be a player that benefits from an easy run rather than being tested. Still have yet to see anything particularly impressive to make me think he will be a huge favourite in a potential QF against Nishikori, and is there not some rumour of him being injured? I agree Djokovic is a little vulnerable coming into this, and we know he is still able to dispatch weaker opposition easily even if not at his best so we probably won't be able to tell his real form until later, and he has a couple of servebots to go through before the SF, but he is still the huge favourite to make the final.

Murray's game has looked good but I am too pessimistic to consider penciling him into the final. Right now I am just hoping not to have a Wimbledon 2014 level embarrassment next round. And if he makes it to SF, Nadal is now surely going to be there and in perfect form after narrowly avoiding going out to a 100+ ranked qualifier, normally the most dangerous thing to his slam campaigns.

Last edited by RuRo : 01-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.
RuRo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
country flag Bhārata Satvan

Bhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond reputeBhārata Satvan has a reputation beyond repute

Murray's draw just got tougher with the exit of federer. Kyrgios can be more dangerous than federer and then he has nadal in the semis.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
country flag zjtennis

I even have this weirder prediction that Janowicz could reach the Final for fairy tale "comeback" run after realizing that he needs to fix things.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
country flag rocketassist

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

would love a final between them two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjtennis View Post
I even have this weirder prediction that Janowicz could reach the Final for fairy tale "comeback" run after realizing that he needs to fix things.
Janowicz's entire career so far has been streaky- standout big runs in a sea of awful losses, so him going further here wouldn't exactly be a huge shock, but he's gonna need Verdasco to pull off a miracle.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
country flag ballbashingmug

ballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond reputeballbashingmug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhārata Satvan View Post
Murray's draw just got tougher with the exit of federer. Kyrgios can be more dangerous than federer and then he has nadal in the semis.
Disagree strongly, Murray is a terrible matchup for Nick, he will slay him.

As for Op, I could see a lot of different finals, this has been a really great slam so far, even as a Federer fan all it was missing was a big upset, and now we got that too, I could see so many different finals materializing which is great.
ballbashingmug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote