Doing the Damage in Doha - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2004, 05:30 PM   #151
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing the Damage in Doha

Sounds like the wind was troubling Andy, throwing off his timing and not allowing him to hit with as much power.

All credit to Jonas, though, for knowing how to handle the windy conditions and use his strengths to pull out the win!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #152
Mr. Man

Mr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Man has a reputation beyond repute

The wind seems like it always throws off Andy, damn you wind!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #153
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

When you want to help Andy, pray for a high-pressure weather system!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #154
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

well after reading those 2-3 articles on the match, and Bjorkman also stating that he hit many more errors than he usually does, it was more of Andy losing it than Bjorkman winning it. plus the wind, and the sand on the court, Roddick not running for shots he thought woulda been easy putaways from Jonas, etc. sounds like Andy didn't really care for this tournament and i doubt he woulda really pushed to win this event, he'll take it nice and easy before the Australian Open. and yes Mr.Man the AO is his next officialt atp tournament, but he plays that Kooyong exho this following week

Naldo isn't that the concept you and other fans argued against when Federer was up and made a bunch of errors and doubles faults in the Montreal match? Jonas had to handle the wind as well. I always thought this was a indoor event anyway. Kooyong is the one exhibition that I think is treated like a real event by the players. Andre always seems to see it that way. This isn't a bad loss, Jonas is a very experienced player and much more capable of dealing with tough conditions. I hope he goes on to win the event. Be nice to see him and Moya win titles this week.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #155
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Be much nicer to see Henman and Schalken win titles this week though...

This whole concept of someone losing a match rather than the other player winning it is usually ridiculous, except in rare cases such as Coria's inexplicable collapse against Roddick at the Masters Cup (I know Roddick fought hard, but all of a sudden Coria couldn't keep the ball in court from 3-1 up). I seem to recall Naldo saying after Henman's win over Roddick in Paris that Roddick seemed to lose the match rather than Henman win it, which I think is a little unfair. After all, errors are in many cases caused by the game style of the opponent, so they have to be given credit for coming up with the goods.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #156
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Sjengster only in rare cases. Jana in Wimbly 93 final!!!!!! Now Andy's loss to Timmy in Mason DC was a gift. That tiebreaker wasn't even close. All Andy did was make unforced errors. The breakers in Paris were much closer. That wasn't a bad loss at all. The is the best way to lose, in a tight tiebreaker. Moya and Jonas. for Sjengster.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #157
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

no sjengster i don't think i said Roddick lost the henman match at Paris other than henman winning it. i think i said Andy didn't play as well, but henman deserved the win. and Dirk, i'm just going by the articles about the matchand what Jonas said about the match as well. we have yet to hear comments from Andy because he still has to play his doubles match. had i seen the match on tv, i would be able to grasp it better! but it still goes down as a win, and Jonas lead in both sets, it's not like Andy gave away a lead or anything like that, but when you read in articles that he made some very uncarachteristic mistakes, not running for some shots, and Jonas himself says Andy hit way too many errors as he normaly does, i think my concept is pretty good if you ask me. and don't try to turn this into the stupid Montreal match again. totally different circumtances(date of the events, surface, opponents, etc.)

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #158
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Doing the Damage in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
When you want to help Andy, pray for a high-pressure weather system!
LOL, MisterQ!

Well, with Andy now moving on to AO, I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for Tim Henman to take Doha. What a coup that would be! It would give him even more confidence and hopefully he'll be able to carry that with him to Wimbledon.

It's funny, I've never really been a Tim fan but over the months, my sympathy and respect for him has been growing to the point where I would like to see him win at least one GS. Andy has time on his side but Tim doesn't.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:01 PM   #159
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

or maybe i shoulda rephrased it as Andy aided Jonas to win the match, because it wasn't only Andy handing over the win to Bjorkman, because he was playing the wind well

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #160
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk, I argued against the concept of a player losing matches. And I stand by that. Obviously it sounds like Andy didn't play his best and both of them said Andy hit a lot of errors. But from the articles I read it sounded like Jonas has him figured out, enough so that with Andy making errors he could win. So I definitely credit Jonas. I stand by my statements - I'm no hypocrite So give Naldo a break, I don't think it was him that said this, I think it was only me.

Andy had weather problems in Sydney last year, had a bad loss to Lee, and ended up doing JUST FINE at AO, so I'm not worried, and as many said, Jonas is a good player so yeah. Andy just better get himself worked out in Kooyong against good players and it'll be all good

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #161
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

oh and Sjengster if it makes you feel better, now that Andy, Flip, and Younes are out I want Tim to win

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #162
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Doing the Damage in Doha

Well, it'll be interesting if Henman reaches the semis and Bjorkman and Escude do the same in the top half - three out of four semifinalists being serve-volleyers? That's not something you see every day.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #163
country flag Deboogle!.

that'd be pretty cool, actually! I like watching serve-volleyers, it's kind of a breath of fresh air once in a while

Old 01-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #164
country flag MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
I agree Sjengster only in rare cases. Jana in Wimbly 93 final!!!!!!
Oh that was the ultimate case of this! lol Poor Jana. She totally forgot how to play for a while there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Kooyong is the one exhibition that I think is treated like a real event by the players. Andre always seems to see it that way.
I agree 100%. I have always had the impression that this exhibition "counted," psychologically at least, unlike the others.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #165
country flag MisterQ

Default Re: Re: Re: Doing the Damage in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
LOL, MisterQ!

Well, with Andy now moving on to AO, I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for Tim Henman to take Doha. What a coup that would be! It would give him even more confidence and hopefully he'll be able to carry that with him to Wimbledon.

It's funny, I've never really been a Tim fan but over the months, my sympathy and respect for him has been growing to the point where I would like to see him win at least one GS. Andy has time on his side but Tim doesn't.
Funny, tangy, I feel exactly the same way about Tim! I didn't used to think he was anything special, but lately I have been appreciating his game and his hard work and I hope it will pay off BIG for him!