Q and A with Thomas Muster - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #61
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Please re read your above post, there is one major error there that actually impacts on your point.

i am saying he produced on sustained basis despite being without the advantages of size and foot speed.

he was not only able to produce on sustained basis (44 titles) but he was also able to summon his skills in the clutch.

you have to have the ability to produce over the long run. some call it consistency. that is all i am saying here. he produced when it really counted--in the finals.

desire,determination, massive balls is not enough.

its ok man. we just see things differently. i believe he had damn near bullet proof ground game to snag 40 clay titles. you need skill and relatively sound mechanics for that. he could do some damage with his forehand. you also could not attack his backhand easily.

he sure as hell did not have a big serve or any special skills at the forecourt. so he had something and it wasnt all huge balls and detemination.

Lance Armstrong would not be the cylist he is if he did not have the relentless will and determination but he has something else also. he is a phenominal cylist.

now take a guys like Ferru, Blake, and Robredo: these guys dont possess the skills of somebody like Muster. Robredo does have 1 Hamburg title to his name but for the most part, these guys will always be useless. they went as far as they could and no further.

Blake--in 10 of his 11 or 12 titles--never had to face a player ranked higher than top 30.

anyway, more later.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q and A with Thomas Muster

Muster is one man who should have had the nickname 'Spartan'.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #63
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
He can be funny too, I remember when he jockingly chased Henman out of the court in the middle of a match. Cannot remember what tournament it was.
It was at the US Open when he did that.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #64
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i am saying he produced on sustained basis despite being without the advantages of size and foot speed.
The rest of the stuff is irrelevant, this bit I quoted is the one that is problematic. If you have seen the amount of Muster matches as claimed, then you wouldn't even think of questioning his speed endurance.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #65
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The rest of the stuff is irrelevant, this bit I quoted is the one that is problematic. If you have seen the amount of Muster matches as claimed, then you wouldn't even think of questioning his speed endurance.

i never said anything about his endurance which was without precedence at the time.

i am saying that he lacks/lacked the size and foot speed of somebody like Mecir or Nadal.

can you imagine Muster if he had the physical gifts of Nadal?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #66
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Muster is one man who should have had the nickname 'Spartan'.
affirmative.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #67
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Thought to do a little translation of a recent interview with Thomas:

“I don’t want to dance like a Punchinello”

Thomas Muster finished his career 10 years ago, avoids “Dancing Stars”, feels sorry for Boris Becker and appreciates the creativity of Rafael Nadal

Do you know what happened nearly 10 years ago on May 24th 1999?

That was probably when I called it quits in tennis. And nobody knew it. It was a 1st round loss at the French Open against Lapentti, who by the way has a brother, which is something you remember for inexplicable reasons.

Who is the current #4 in the rankings?

I have no idea. It isn’t Djokovic. Maybe a Spaniard, an Argentinean would be fine to me.

It is Djokovic.

That’s fine for him.

Let’s stay for a moment on the 24th May 1999. It must have been a defining day, right?

No. You remember birthdays, the accident in Key Biscayne on April 1st 1989. Or June 11th 1995, the victory in Paris. Those dates remain because they get raked up and you can’t escape these memories.

In May 2009 the “Musterland”, the tennisacademy in your hometown Leibnitz, virtually died. You stepped out of your own project. Why?

The chronology is well-known. It didn’t happened in Grat, there have been caveats from some dog owners. Leibnitz has been more than a replacement, but when you get told for 6 years the same things and there is no progess you flout.

Have you been financially involved in the “Musterland”?

No. It was a project for juveniles. I wanted to give something back. The Styrian association was searching for a home and the politics was in agreement. The building costs were estimated with 3,5 Million €, but later exploded. The firm with yearly charges of 750.000 € was secured because of sponsors, even before they had found a habitat. But now the world wide financial crisis happened. I couldn’t and didn’t wanted take over the responsibility and liability.

Are you frustrated?

No, it’s simply typical Austria. They build something with public funds, which doesn’t fulfill the optimal purpose. As nobody wants to lose his face another retort is coming up. I’m not mad about anyone, the politicians have supported us, but when a process takes that long, it is useless. The timing was wrong, the financial crisis isn’t to blame for everything, but does it bit. Companies can’t justify 750.00 € and let people work short-time or even sack. Especially in the shaken Styria. “Musterland” has been a phantom for a to long time.

You are engaged in many business areas. Toms Fashion, Toms Glasses, Toms Wines, Toms Mineralwater. Is this a reaction to the monotony of tennis?

No, I just search for variety. It is a profession which I take really serious.

How was the transition from professional athlete to a businessman? Did you have the famous pension shock?

No. I did nothing for 3 years and realised that the people, who I wanted to meet, didn’t have any time because they needed to work. It is no aim of life to retire. I realized in retrospect how great the sport is. You are only depending on your own performance, you get the reward immediately. In economic life you have failures, promises which get broken, people trick.

Does this sound like a longing for tennis?

No, I have never said: “Oh my God, why have I stopped to play?” The physical depletion was visible. I never wanted to be someone who people advise to retire. Hermann Maier gets a lot of such advices. I could have kept the sponsors, but I knew I wasn’t able to win any more. I didn’t wanted to lie, I’m to straightforward.

You have bever getting discussed in the gossip columns.

Thanks God.

Boris Becker gets married soon on TV.

That’s awful. He even jumped through a burning heart. You can’t wake up every day and ask yourself: Who am I today? That’s quite daft. There are people who have to draw attention all the time. It’s something different with Niki Lauda, who is commentating Formula 1 on RTL because he know the ropes. I get asked before every season of Dancing Stars by Austrian TV if I would like to take part. I don’t want to dance like a Punchinello through the evening programme for months in order to explain the people who Thomas Muster is or has been. That would be to sad.

To design fashion you need creativity. As athlete you were seen as a hard worker who attritted the opponent. How does this go together?

Very good. Without creativity you can’t play tennis. The viewer might say it’s monotony, but there are many nuances. What is creative in Rafael Nadal? The layperson sees pure power, but I can see his real potentiality.

What goes wrong in Austrian tennis?

You have to see this relaxed. The pick on the association and the structures is vapid. We don’t have the devices. Austria is a skicountry and wants to be a soccercountry. It would be embarrassing not to be good in skiing because we can’t deny the mountains. I have only been a statistical hap.

At the weekend the ATP tournament in Kitzbühel starts. The organizer is Roland Leitgeb, your former manager, who allows free entrance. Does this make sense?

You have to ask Leitgeb. He probably tries to save the date over the time.

You are playing on the seniours tour. Isn’t this ridiculous?

It is a circus where well-known names, who can barely run anymore, appear. It isn’t ridiculous, but a whole lot of fun. The irony is that we play at all. I still don’t like to lose against Bruguera or Becker, even though I'm not nostalgic.

Source: http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1242315959690
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #68
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Is Boris Becker really getting married on TV?

He really craves the fame. That will be Nole in a few years.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #69
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Becker sold the rights to RTL, who will be broadcasting two specials.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #70
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Hahaha, good to see the no nonsense answers here and Boris Becker what a guy.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #71
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Funny guy.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #72
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Is Boris Becker really getting married on TV?

He really craves the fame. That will be Nole in a few years.
How do you compare them? Djokovic comes off as a more natural showman than Boris Becker (omg imo). I think he's able to attract attention by doing things more entertaining than getting married or jumping through a hoop.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #73
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
How do you compare them? Djokovic comes off as a more natural showman than Boris Becker (omg imo). I think he's able to attract attention by doing things more entertaining than getting married or jumping through a hoop.
Involuntarily impregnating someone by getting head in a broom closet is a zillion times more entertaining than anything Djoko and his obnoxious family could ever think about.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #74
country flag Jōris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
Involuntarily impregnating someone by getting head in a broom closet is a zillion times more entertaining than anything Djoko and his obnoxious family could ever think about.
Until there's a video of the model transferring the semen from her mouth to vagina, I would call their encounter at best unintentionally entertaining.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #75
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Hahaha, good to see the no nonsense answers here and Boris Becker what a guy.
What was the problem between Thomas and Boris? Did they had any dispute or is it just the German/Austrian friendship?

By the way, I didn't knew it's 10 years meanwhile that he retired. Time is passing so fast.