Q and A with Thomas Muster - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #46
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q and A with Thomas Muster

There was recently an interview with Thomas Muster here: http://www.nachrichten.at/sport/tenn...;art106,144986

I thought to translate it as some might be interested in it:

Thomas Muster: ATP is making huge mistakes

Thomas Muster talks in a sportnet.at-interview about the crash in Key Biscayne, mistakes of the ATP, the development of Austrian tennis and the rescue of the tournament in Kitzbühel

Sportnet.at: In these days you probably get asked a lot about the crash in Key Biscayne. What did the crash in retrospect mean for your career?

Thomas Muster: “One can only speculate about it. I tried then to stop a car with my knee, but didn’t managed (laughs). I accomplished a comeback a few months later and it wasn’t a bad one. But in the following years I had to struggle with a kind of burn-out syndrome because of all the many hard training.”

What did the sport gave you for your life?

“The sport is the best school you can have in life. I have learned so much through it and can only recommend it to everyone.”

You have mentioned many times failures of the ATP. Which concrete mistakes made the ATP?

“The ATP omit it to do the right marketing. It was wrong to reduce the tv broadcastings. The promotion of the players is missing. Even I as someone who isn’t a layman have difficulties to associate a name to a face and I think other people will have even more problems with this. The ATP has to do more and to take an example of other sports as Formula One or golf. They have to invest money, which they haven’t clearly done. Even the ITF has managed to get the Davis Cup and the Grand Slams to a new level in marketing.”

Who is going to rule the internatinal men tennis in the next years?

“I can only say two names: Federer and Nadal. Federer however has realised that there are other things in life. He is establishing a family and has other thoughts in his head. It’s possible that he doesn’t give 100% of his energy to tennis. That is a danger, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t be #1 again. With Nadal we have to see if he can maintain the intensity of his game physically. He meanwhile has the potential to win nearly each match with 60 or 70 % and therefore has the capability to perform economically. He has improved his backhand tremendously, also his serve and is dangerous on both sides.”

How do you see the development of the Austrian tennis?

“The development is the same as 5 years ago, that’s why I have stopped working as Daviscup captain. I couldn’t have made things happen in the job. Anyone else can do the job.”

“Jürgen Melzer still can’t really close out a match. He had his chances, the question is whether they will come back again. Stefan Koubek is a phase-out model and it has to be seen how long he is going to play. I have to raise my hat to Julian Knowle. It takes courage to abandon the singles in order to mainly concentrate on the doubles. His accomplishments in the last years, especially at the Grand Slams, were highlights, but that the important doubles in the Daviscup against Germany was lost, hurts twice.”

Is Austrian tennis approaching a valley bottom after Melzer and Koubek?

“For a valley you have to have mountains, but we don’t have the big mountains or hills. Maybe you mean pits?”

To phrase it different: Do you see any promising young players in Austria?

“Of course there’s potential in Austria, a lot of good young players. But there are two leaps, between 15 and 16 and with 20, when to sort the wheat from the chaff. You can’t say that much before.”

Would you as Daviscup captain have nominated Daniel Köllerer against Germany?

“No, I still wouldn’t have done so.”

How important is it that Kitzbühel is remaining in the ATP calendar?

“Of course that’s important. In the current form it is only a bridging to keep the date, not a real solution. The free entrance is the best they can do in this situation. It isn’t negative to go back to the roots. But everyone knows that in the long run they can’t hold and finance the tournament like this.”

“To have two ATP tournaments, one in Kitzbühel in the summer and the other one in autumn in Vienna, that was perfect. With the third tournament it was always difficult. In Kitzbühel they did the mistake to take out the tournament of the week with the city festival. The Kirtag has always been a guarantee for a full house in the weekend. But they have become to greedy and wanted to cash up two times. Players as Boris Becker have always been a guarantor for a huge crowd. Meanwhile it isn’t that easy with topplayers. It would have been important to take countermeasures in time, for example with a hardcourt tournament.”

Which projects is Tomas Muster running at the moment?

“No new ones. You can’t do something wrong then (laughs). The TOMS products are running good, we are contented. We are fighting, but having lots of fun.”
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #47
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post

“For a valley you have to have mountains, but we don’t have the big mountains or hills. Maybe you mean pits?”
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #48
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hahahahahaha, no holding back there at all.

Thanks for that Doris.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:20 AM   #49
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There was recently an interview with Thomas Muster here: http://www.nachrichten.at/sport/tenn...;art106,144986

I thought to translate it as some might be interested in it:

Thomas Muster: ATP is making huge mistakes

Thomas Muster talks in a sportnet.at-interview about the crash in Key Biscayne, mistakes of the ATP, the development of Austrian tennis and the rescue of the tournament in Kitzbühel

Sportnet.at: In these days you probably get asked a lot about the crash in Key Biscayne. What did the crash in retrospect mean for your career?

Thomas Muster: “One can only speculate about it. I tried then to stop a car with my knee, but didn’t managed (laughs). I accomplished a comeback a few months later and it wasn’t a bad one. But in the following years I had to struggle with a kind of burn-out syndrome because of all the many hard training.”

What did the sport gave you for your life?

“The sport is the best school you can have in life. I have learned so much through it and can only recommend it to everyone.”

You have mentioned many times failures of the ATP. Which concrete mistakes made the ATP?

“The ATP omit it to do the right marketing. It was wrong to reduce the tv broadcastings. The promotion of the players is missing. Even I as someone who isn’t a layman have difficulties to associate a name to a face and I think other people will have even more problems with this. The ATP has to do more and to take an example of other sports as Formula One or golf. They have to invest money, which they haven’t clearly done. Even the ITF has managed to get the Davis Cup and the Grand Slams to a new level in marketing.”

Who is going to rule the internatinal men tennis in the next years?

“I can only say two names: Federer and Nadal. Federer however has realised that there are other things in life. He is establishing a family and has other thoughts in his head. It’s possible that he doesn’t give 100% of his energy to tennis. That is a danger, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t be #1 again. With Nadal we have to see if he can maintain the intensity of his game physically. He meanwhile has the potential to win nearly each match with 60 or 70 % and therefore has the capability to perform economically. He has improved his backhand tremendously, also his serve and is dangerous on both sides.”

How do you see the development of the Austrian tennis?

“The development is the same as 5 years ago, that’s why I have stopped working as Daviscup captain. I couldn’t have made things happen in the job. Anyone else can do the job.”

“Jürgen Melzer still can’t really close out a match. He had his chances, the question is whether they will come back again. Stefan Koubek is a phase-out model and it has to be seen how long he is going to play. I have to raise my hat to Julian Knowle. It takes courage to abandon the singles in order to mainly concentrate on the doubles. His accomplishments in the last years, especially at the Grand Slams, were highlights, but that the important doubles in the Daviscup against Germany was lost, hurts twice.”

To phrase it different: Do you see any promising young players in Austria?

“Of course there’s potential in Austria, a lot of good young players. But there are two leaps, between 15 and 16 and with 20, when to sort the wheat from the chaff. You can’t say that much before.”

Would you as Daviscup captain have nominated Daniel Köllerer against Germany?

“No, I still wouldn’t have done so.”

How important is it that Kitzbühel is remaining in the ATP calendar?

“Of course that’s important. In the current form it is only a bridging to keep the date, not a real solution. The free entrance is the best they can do in this situation. It isn’t negative to go back to the roots. But everyone knows that in the long run they can’t hold and finance the tournament like this.”

“To have two ATP tournaments, one in Kitzbühel in the summer and the other one in autumn in Vienna, that was perfect. With the third tournament it was always difficult. In Kitzbühel they did the mistake to take out the tournament of the week with the city festival. The Kirtag has always been a guarantee for a full house in the weekend. But they have become to greedy and wanted to cash up two times. Players as Boris Becker have always been a guarantor for a huge crowd. Meanwhile it isn’t that easy with topplayers. It would have been important to take countermeasures in time, for example with a hardcourt tournament.”

Which projects is Tomas Muster running at the moment?

“No new ones. You can’t do something wrong then (laughs). The TOMS products are running good, we are contented. We are fighting, but having lots of fun.”
nice interview. thanks for posting.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #50
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb_uk View Post
Muster What a great guy!

He makes a good point about murray, murray isnt the claycourt player he makes himself to be! Clay is by far his worst surface, his results have shown that.

Thanks for posting george, its a shame I wasnt a fan at the time of musters career on the atp tour. I would have loved to follow his career.

i still maintain that he was far more talented than meets the eye. he pretty much spells it out in this interview.

you have to have a lot going for you to pull off what he did. there is no way you can achieve a #1 ranking--even if it was only for 6 seeks--without having some serious talent.

winning a staggering 40 clay titles does mean that you are highly skilled.

it was consistency delivered over a period of time. that is what separates the talented from the not so talented in tennis. he had great movement and was solid as a rock off both wings.

finally, he was one of the toughest in the clutch. he ranks 2nd only to the Clay Warrior (Nadal) in having the highest winning percentage in the finals.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #51
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Great interview.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #52
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i still maintain that he was far more talented than meets the eye. he pretty much spells it out in this interview.
No, not really. He wasn't a hack, but what he achieved was through sheer willpower and determination and all pro players have natural talent, some don't realise it, then there are others like Muster who go over and above.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #53
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
No, not really. He wasn't a hack, but what he achieved was through sheer willpower and determination and all pro players have natural talent, some don't realise it, then there are others like Muster who go over and above.
Agree, Muster was a focused like nobody else in his time, a true clay warrior, determination brought him there where he wanted to be, at numero uno; for sure there were more talented players, but talent means shit if you can't back it up...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #54
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

He can be funny too, I remember when he jockingly chased Henman out of the court in the middle of a match. Cannot remember what tournament it was.
"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”- Muhammad Ali“

————————————
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #55
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Muster pimping... nice shades Maverick...

i agree with him about the marketing... tennis should be everywhere all at once... it has been, still could be... but its not...

tennis isn't losing because Andy 'The Tradesman' Murray is a miserable scottish git... its because we aren't getting to see enough of Andy Murray being a miserable git... very simple equation... i wanna see The Tradesman on MTV screaming at his mum because she didnt bring full cream milk home and not low fat milk...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #56
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Agree, Muster was a focused like nobody else in his time, a true clay warrior, determination brought him there where he wanted to be, at numero uno; for sure there were more talented players, but talent means shit if you can't back it up...
I remember the final of Umag in 95, he was getting a lesson that day, but he fought in that match, just like it was the RG final and got the rewards for it. I mean look at his compatriot the late Horsti Skoff, he was the more talented out of the two and we know who achieved more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
Muster pimping... nice shades Maverick...

i agree with him about the marketing... tennis should be everywhere all at once... it has been, still could be... but its not...

tennis isn't losing because Andy 'The Tradesman' Murray is a miserable scottish git... its because we aren't getting to see enough of Andy Murray being a miserable git... very simple equation... i wanna see The Tradesman on MTV screaming at his mum because she didnt bring full cream milk home and not low fat milk...
This is the key we know full cream milk is the stuff of champions.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #57
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
great interview by the way.

sheer will power, determination, and monster testicular fortitude is essential if you looking to be the very best on the planet but you have to have the ability as well.

in other words, desire alone wont cut it. take a guy like Tiriac--just to throw out a crazy example. he may have had plenty of desire (will power, determination, and the like) but he just did not have the ability to rule the game.

in any case more on this later. its a good discussion. great thread.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #58
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
great interview by the way.

sheer will power, determination, and monster testicular fortitude is essential if you looking to be the very best on the planet but you have to have the ability as well.

in other words, desire alone wont cut it. take a guy like Tiriac--just to throw out a crazy example. he may have had plenty of desire (will power, determination, and the like) but he just did not have the ability to rule the game.

in any case more on this later. its a good discussion. great thread.
Tiriac is a crook and was an ice hockey player before he played tennis.

Like I said all pro players have to have a certain amount of ability, if not, then they wouldn't make it on tour, this has been established. I will make this easy for you. Mecir would have loved some of the Muster grit, Muster would have loved to have some of Mecir's natural ability, but this was not the case.

Therefore Muster achieved a lot through the strength of character relative to the amount of talent he had.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #59
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Tiriac is a crook and was an ice hockey player before he played tennis.

Like I said all pro players have to have a certain amount of ability, if not, then they wouldn't make it on tour, this has been established. I will make this easy for you. Mecir would have loved some of the Muster grit, Muster would have loved to have some of Mecir's natural ability, but this was not the case.

Therefore Muster achieved a lot through the strength of character relative to the amount of talent he had.
i hear you action jackson. just an amazing player. he will remain forever my favorite player of all time.

what we may call lack of talent may just be the fact that he did not have the physical gifts of somebody like Nadal. or even Mecir (the big cat who was 6 foot 4). this would further confirm that he was far more talented than we are inclined to believe.

Muster lacked their size and foot speed so critical at the top of the game but charged ahead anyway.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #60
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
i hear you action jackson. just an amazing player. he will remain forever my favorite player of all time.

what we may call lack of talent may just be the fact that he did not have the physical gifts of somebody like Nadal. or even Mecir (the big cat who was 6 foot 4). this would further confirm that he was far more talented than we are inclined to believe.

Muster lacked their size and foot speed so critical at the top of the game but charged ahead anyway.
Please re read your above post, there is one major error there that actually impacts on your point.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1