Q and A with Thomas Muster - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Q and A with Thomas Muster

From the BBC site.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...is/4877036.stm

Former French Open champion Thomas Muster is taking time out from the second event on the 2006 Merrill Lynch Tour of Champions, the Chevalier Champions in Hong Kong, to answer your questions.

Thomas was known as the iron man of tennis in the 1990s, winning the French Open in 1995 and reaching the world number one ranking.

These days he runs a successful clothing company, captains the Austrian Davis Cup team, and competes against other great players on the Tour of Champions, which culminates in the Champions Masters at London's Royal Albert Hall (5th to 10th December 2006).

In Hong Kong, Muster will renew a heated rivalry with 1987 Wimbledon Champion Pat Cash after the pair almost came to blows at a tournament in Germany last year.

Thanks for all your questions - A selection of the best appear below.

How do you feel the freak accident at Key Biscayne, Florida, in 1989 when you got hit by a car affected your approach to the game and how you played?
Jason Cowell, Ireland

I don't really think about it any more. People remind me about it occasionally, but I think that because of the way the rest of my career went - being number one in the world, winning the French Open, and heaps of other tournaments - I'm known for my comeback and it's something that people look at as remarkable about my career.

If I'd had to stop playing and could never hit a ball again after 1989 it would have been different. I'd probably have been pretty miserable, but as it happened, the comeback became a trademark for the rest of my life.

Why is it that almost all great clay-court players struggle on grass and yet Bjorn Borg was just as successful on both surfaces at Grand Slam level?
Patrick Carr, England

Because they require different techniques. You either know how to play on grass, or you don't. Grass is an exception to all other surfaces. There is no way that you can really learn to master playing tennis on grass, it's all about your natural technique. Clay-court players grow up with such extreme grip changes so I think it depends on whether they are capable of adjusting to grass.

When Bjorn was playing, most of the racquets were wooden and so the balls couldn't travel as fast. Bjorn's double-handed backhand helped him a lot but the game was way slower and he was the fittest, fastest guy around at that time so he was able to return the balls.

Did you significantly change anything prior to your successful 1995 season?
Anders, England

No, I didn't. I'd been a favourite for the French Open for many years but I couldn't deliver. Sometimes I had a draw that went against me, sometimes I just wasn't playing that well. I had a really good chance the year that Andres Gomez won it in 1990, and knowing that my career had never gone to the final stages meant that the pressure was greater. I was happy that I pulled that one off in 1995.

After winning Roland Garros in 1995 you were never able to repeat as a Grand Slam champion even though you were still the world's premier clay court player. Why do think that is? Did your ambition wane a bit after finally winning a major?
Randy Rousseau, USA

I changed my racquet in 1997 to a slightly longer one with a different stringing pattern. It helped me to serve better, volley better and to hit more 'flat'. That is shown in my record on hard courts that year because they were the best of my career, but I couldn't play as well with that racquet on clay. It didn't spin the ball as well. I played really well at Key Biscayne, but then when I went to Davis Cup, Goran Ivanisevic beat me on clay and that was really unexpected because I was in really good shape.

I couldn't spin the ball the way I used to and I didn't have a good clay court season. I tried all sorts of other racquets and string patterns, even using my old racquet for clay and my new racquet for hard courts, but nothing worked. I couldn't make the transition between the two quick enough.

Once you lose confidence and you are testing racquets in the middle of the season it's like a Formula One driver trying to work out troubles with the engine. It was frustrating and I started hating it. If you're practicing more than before and your results are getting worse and you can't work out why, you get sick of it. That's why I retired.

Clay-courters are supposed to be either Spanish or South American - how is it that you came to dominate clay courts at the expense of hard and indoors and who was your toughest opponent?
Saleh Eissa, UK

Everyone in Europe is brought up on clay ¿ Spanish, German, Croatian players. Probably everyone except the UK, because you have all your turf and hard courts but not much clay, which is probably why you haven't really had a great clay-courter. You have to be more complete to be a clay courter ¿ if I'd had a better serve I would have probably saved myself running about 350,000 miles! But I didn't, so I concentrated on clay.

Do you ever regret not playing at Wimbledon more?
Andy Stevenson, UK

No, not at all. You have to understand that I used to play about 40 tournaments a year and you have to have an off-season at some point. My preparation time would start in October or November to get ready for Australia and to play well in the spring and I needed to have some time off to recharge my batteries. I would play a full schedule of clay-court tournaments until after Paris, and for me to go to Wimbledon took too much effort from me for what I could get out of it.

To concentrate on Wimbledon and only get to the fourth round would not be worth it because it would cost me the whole American season and the US Open. It wasn't that I didn't like grass - I played the Stella Artois tournament once at Queen's and got to the semi-finals. But the grass-court time was when I recharged. It's probably hard for some people to understand but, for me, Wimbledon was never as important as the French Open.

Do you think that in order to break into the top 100 in the world you need exceptional talent, or can it be done through pure hard work?
Paul, United Kingdom

If you are reasonably talented and you work really hard, maybe you can have a chance at the top 100, but if you're talking about top 50 or top 20, it's not enough. If you're not unbelievably talented there's no way you can achieve that. You've got to be unbelievably consistent - you've got to deliver over an amount of time.

Who out of Steffi Graf & Martina Navratilova do you think is the greatest?
Ben Chick, Wales

Steffi Graf did the real Grand Slam in one year and she won the Olympics that year as well. Is she the greatest woman player of all time? I don't know. Probably, but it is hard to compare generations. Martina Navratilova was a great player too.

I have been watching you play at the Merrill Lynch Tour of Champions event here in Hong Kong and was surprised to see how competitive it still is. Do you really want to beat each other still?
Sara, Hong Kong

We are still competitive - it's the way we are. Also we have proper rankings now, a proper Masters event at the Royal Albert Hall in December which we have to qualify for, and there is real prize money at stake there. No-one wants to lose. We have fun and it's more relaxed than it used to be - we can have a beer after the matches with each other and we get on, but we can still play well and we want to win. You never lose that.

Do you think Andy Murray has the game to maybe win the French Open someday?
John, UK

Andy Murray? Who is he? (laughs). I've only seen a few matches of his - he's playing reasonably well but time will tell how his skills improve. There is certainly a lot to improve in his game but he is a young guy, he has good determination, but Britain is a bit like Austria and Germany - you tend to push people to the skies when they have not really done anything, and then when they are down you step and spit on them! I would advise you to keep a neutral position.

He can do very well on hard courts and grass and he grew up on clay, but I think he has developed a game which is better suited to hard courts. If I was his coach I would move him in the grass, hard court and indoor direction - he has a really good serve but a lot of players have that. There's a big difference between having a good game and being consistent, so I would not predict him to win the French Open at the moment!

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...is/4877036.stm

Published: 2006/04/08 08:47:58 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 05-21-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Muster What a great guy!

He makes a good point about murray, murray isnt the claycourt player he makes himself to be! Clay is by far his worst surface, his results have shown that.

Thanks for posting george, its a shame I wasnt a fan at the time of musters career on the atp tour. I would have loved to follow his career.
joeb_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Muster Q & A : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb_uk
Muster What a great guy!

He makes a good point about murray, murray isnt the claycourt player he makes himself to be! Clay is by far his worst surface, his results have shown that.
It was interesting in that he made some good points, especially about unrealistic expectations and then spitting on them when they fail.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
country flag TennisGrandSlam

TennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond repute

TennisGrandSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute

George, only seeing muster a few times, I cant really comment. But the few times I saw him play, he seems to me have a similar game to nadal but with a far better serve? Great athlete, puts so much effort and spin into each shot, same desire and will to win as well. Only seeing him a few times, its hard to know all the similarities?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb_uk
George, only seeing muster a few times, I cant really comment. But the few times I saw him play, he seems to me have a similar game to nadal but with a far better serve? Great athlete, puts so much effort and spin into each shot, same desire and will to win as well. Only seeing him a few times, its hard to know all the similarities?
Muster was more aggressive. The thing is he used to have a crap serve, but as he got older he made an effort to improve it and when he had the success on hardcourts to the detriment of his game on clay the serve helped him.

I mean Muster would pull whatever he could get away with on court to win a match, whereas Nadal isn't one to rub the balls on the court to slow them up like Muster has done.

He wasn't the most gifted, but made up for it in courage. There are similarities with Nadal for sure, but differences.

On that note, lets see if he can defend Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome like Muster did in 96, though winning RG again is above all of that.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
country flag betterthanhenman

betterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Muster was more aggressive. The thing is he used to have a crap serve, but as he got older he made an effort to improve it and when he had the success on hardcourts to the detriment of his game on clay the serve helped him.

I mean Muster would pull whatever he could get away with on court to win a match, whereas Nadal isn't one to rub the balls on the court to slow them up like Muster has done.

He wasn't the most gifted, but made up for it in courage. There are similarities with Nadal for sure, but differences.

On that note, lets see if he can defend Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome like Muster did in 96, though winning RG again is above all of that.
I think nadal will go on to surpass almost everything muster did in terms of pure tournament wins. However, the areas where Muster cannot be bettered are courage and desire on a tennis court and making the absolute most of your abilities.

As Nadal becomes more aggressive and looks for the 'first hit' more often in points, he will become an even more formidable opponent. By the end of his career, I dont think the comparisons between him and Thomas will still be made to the same extent.
betterthanhenman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You look really fit. How long is your dick?
Alfonso, Colombia
LMAO!

Good questions and answers there. Hope he has continued success at the senior level.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Default Re: Ask Thomas Muster : On Andy Murray, Clay vs Grass and his comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose
You look really fit. How long is your dick?
Alfonso, Colombia
I thought you'd have asked about fisting. You are getting tame in your age.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanhenman
I think nadal will go on to surpass almost everything muster did in terms of pure tournament wins. However, the areas where Muster cannot be bettered are courage and desire on a tennis court and making the absolute most of your abilities.
Well as long as he keeps improving and he has shown the aptitude to do that, but you'd think the above will happen. Well Muster got the most out of his abilities and didn't help he had won leg shorter than the other.

Quote:
As Nadal becomes more aggressive and looks for the 'first hit' more often in points, he will become an even more formidable opponent. By the end of his career, I dont think the comparisons between him and Thomas will still be made to the same extent.
Will Nadal go the same way, as in having more success on the hardcourts, where it impacts negatively on clay, probably won't happen, as Muster had his big run towards the end of his career, whereas this is not the case for Nadal.

He was spot on about Murray.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
country flag betterthanhenman

betterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond reputebetterthanhenman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He was spot on about Murray.
I think Murray will struggle to ever win the French Open, but there is no shame in that. Personally I think Murray will struggle to win any Grand Slam but again, no shame there. The most promising thing about Murray in terms of his future is that there is plenty of room for major improvements in his game. So I guess I am agreeing with Muster in general.
betterthanhenman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

GWH, How big was the lenght difference between his legs?. Didn't he try some ... .. something to shorten it. A modified shoe, an extra sole ? Anything more than 1 cm is an issue.

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview George. That was very informative, there were interesting things there like the need to recharge the batteries and why he would use the grass season as the time to take off. He sounds rational and sincere and it is interesting to think that for players better suited to hard courts it would be the other way around-they would use the clay season as the time to recharge their batteries.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #14
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that interview. It was an interesting read. I wish I could have seen him more than I did.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
country flag joeb_uk

Quote:

I was very impressed with his serve when I saw him at the masters! He was banging down 125-130 mph aces all the time He probably had the best serve there to be honest. All the fans were worried when he was serving, because he was smashing aces into the crowd

His serve actually, is probably still quite a high standard even compared to the atp tour players right now. He seems in such good shape too, I mean he is such a flexible player. The bend in his knees and how low he gets to hit the backhand is amazing!