Miscellaneous Lleyton articles 2004 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-01-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Knockers LaBroad

Knockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Miscellaneous Lleyton articles 2004

Hewitt's plan to peak in Melbourne

By LEO SCHLINK in Melbourne
01jan04

LLEYTON Hewitt will attempt a high-stakes juggling act over the next two weeks as he seeks to reproduce the form which carried him to Davis Cup glory, while bidding to peak precisely for the Australian Open.

Hewitt and his coach Roger Rasheed have methodically worked to an end-of-season training regime designed to generate match wins at the Hopman Cup from Sunday and then at the adidas International in Sydney, where the South Australian has previously excelled.
But while Hewitt is typically intent on achievement in Perth and at Homebush Bay, it is the lure of Rod Laver Arena success which drives the dual Grand Slam champion hardest.

"We want Lleyton to be playing well over the next two weeks at the Hopman Cup and in Sydney, where he's going to try for a third adidas title," Rasheed said. "But, while we want him to be playing well, we want his absolute best tennis, and for him to peak, at the Australian Open.

"The Hopman Cup, in many ways, is the perfect preparation for him.

"It's an event where you can test your skills against high-class opposition in competition in front of a supportive home crowd.

"It's not a tour event and it's not a Grand Slam, so while there's pressure, he can feed off the crowd a bit and get a lift there.

"And, after discussing what we think is the best way for Lleyton to be going into the Australian Open, we think the adidas is the way to go.

"If he happened to come out of Sydney with a third title there, that would be great preparation for the Open."

Rasheed has presided over a watershed change in the game Hewitt produced with chilling consistency to win Wimbledon, the US Open and two Tennis Masters Cups under Darren Cahill and Jason Stoltenberg.

While Rasheed and Hewitt have yet to team for a singles title, the partnership last month was instrumental in Australia's Davis Cup final success – an event which also signalled to the international tennis community the South Australian baseliner is back to his extraordinary best.

"I think we can expect to see more of that style of tennis," Rasheed said of Hewitt's new-found aggression.

"There's no reason to want to change what we all saw against Roger Federer in the Davis Cup semi-finals and then against Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final. The goal now is to peak at Melbourne Park."

Hewitt, 22, is yet to better the fourth round of the Australian Open in six attempts.

Strangely, Hewitt's record at his home Grand Slam is his worst of the Big Four.

He has won both Wimbledon and the US Open, where he has also reached the semi-finals on two other occasions, and has made the quarter-finals of the French Open.

Hewitt is desperate to become the first Australian male to win in Melbourne since Mark Edmondson in 1976 but will do so without the arguable protection of a high seeding.

The right-hander was eliminated last season by Moroccan Younes el Aynaoui. His preparation the previous year was blighted by having chicken pox and he was eliminated in the first round.

© Advertiser Newspapers Ltd
Knockers LaBroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Knockers LaBroad

Knockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miscellaneous Lleyton articles 2004

TENNIS: Lleyton drafts an old friend
By LEO SCHLINK and RICHARD EARLE
02jan04

DUAL Grand Slam champion Lleyton Hewitt has bolstered his support staff ahead of an assault on the world No. 1 ranking.

Hewitt, 22, has added Adelaide pennant player and occasional Satellite tour competitor Jimmy Chaousis to his close-knit clan on the eve of the Australian summer circuit.

Chaousis will assist Hewitt's coach Roger Rasheed.

Currently ranked 17th in the world after completing a season pockmarked by injury and relatively moderate Grand Slam form, Hewitt hopes to quickly regain a single digit ranking.

Chaousis will aid the former world champion's quest as both a hitting partner and will also offer advice on off-court training. Chaousis, an old friend of the West Lakes dynamo, has "settled in well" at Team Hewitt.

"He has signed me up for the year and we will see how it goes from there," Chaousis said.

"We grew up playing tennis together and I did a bit of touring with him when I was a bit younger," said Chaousis, who toured for five years beginning at age 16.

Chaousis' appointment continues Hewitt's approach to hiring predominantly local, trusted lieutenants.

"I think the first thing that's pretty important is to get along well and we do," Chaousis said.

"I know Roger (Rasheed) very well and all three of us have a good kind of combination going there. Obviously his tennis has gone up and mine didn't quite go that way so now I am helping him out.

"We were pretty good friends because we were in a lot of tennis squads together. I received a phone call one day and he asked me if I wanted to jump ship so I did."

Hewitt had noticed Chaousis coaching on the professional circuit – his work impressing the former Wimbledon champion.

Chaousis had been working with Russian Galina Fokina , ranked 150th in the world and coached American Timothy Neille to a world No. 3 junior ranking.

Chaousis said Hewitt was a supremely fit athlete but would strive for improvement where possible
Old 01-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
country flag Angele

Angele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the new thread Elke

Found this article on Lleytonland... don't know how well this is gonna go over with Lleyton...

Rules force media access
Leo Schlink
02jan04

THE world's leading male tennis players have been ordered to become accessible to the media, including a demand for competitors to take part in television interviews as they walk on to court for matches.

In a plan designed to popularise the sport, ATP players have been given a list of commitments which, if not fully met after a three-month trial period, will result in fines that double with every offence.

ATP executive Chris Clouser says the changes in media commitments are "an effort to enhance the media-player relationship and to hopefully expand the amount of promotion dedicated to tennis".

There is no mention in Clouser's letter to players of former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt's multi-million dollar legal action against the ATP over interview requests ahead of his first-round match in Cincinnati 15 months ago, a dispute that has now reached the South Australian Supreme Court.

Under the new rules, which will be introduced from the weekend, players are required to:

TAKE part in pre-tournament interviews of up to an hour's duration;

PERFORM a pre-match interview with television during walk-on before a match. The interview is not to exceed two minutes. Broadcasters (not players) will have the option to request the interview take place at the practice courts on the day of the match.

SUBMIT to an interview of up to five minutes with host broadcasters after winning a match.

APPEAR within 30 minutes at a post-match press conference. Exceptions to the rule will be made only for injured players or those with good cause.

Clouser said no fines would be applied in the first three months of the 2004 season to "allow players, ATP, broadcasters and tournaments to adjust".

He said the ATP player council and board "felt that a stronger commitment was needed to ensure standards and expectations are consistent for all matches and players".

"Today's ATP players are among the most interesting and talented athletes in the world," he said.

"This new media initiative was undertaken to provide the best forums to demonstrate this fact to the press."

The rules include fines of $1300 for the first offence at ATP tournaments and $660 at Challenger series. Fines will double at ATP events for each repeat offence in a season.

Players have likened the ATP's stance to that of Cricket Australia, which has been criticised by players for placing excessive demands on their time.

Herald and Weekly Times
Angele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
Aussie_Kim

Aussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I saw that article too Angele on the Herald Sun website & I straight away thought of Lleyton
I think its a bit unfair of the ATP, I think they already have to do enough interviews as it is!

Good Luck to all my aussie boys - Lleyton Hewitt, Todd Reid, Mark Philippoussis, Chris Guccione, Todd Woodbridge & Wayne Arthurs. And my aussie girls Alicia Molik, Christine Wheeler, Casey Dellaqua, Nicole Pratt & Evie Dominikovic.Also Good Luck to Kim Clijsters, Elke Clijsters (the 'other sisters' ) & Kirsten Flipkens.

Although God demands a whole heart, He will accept a broken one if he gets all the pieces!!!
Aussie_Kim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #5
country flag NOMAD

NOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond reputeNOMAD has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt plays cards close to chest
By Tom Wald
02jan04
A CAGEY Lleyton Hewitt refused to discuss how he proposed to Kim Clijsters after speaking publicly for the first time since their engagement was announced.

While his impending marriage to the Belgian clearly warms his heart, he showed there was no love lost with the media today.

"It was on Sydney harbour as you probably read (just before Christmas), that is all you are going to find out," he said after arriving in Perth for the Hopman Cup which starts tomorrow.

The former world No.1 tennis player was equally abrupt about his wedding plans, informing a journalist he would not be the first to know the details.

However, the temperamental baseliner conceded their similar career paths meant he and former world No.1 Clijsters understood the burdens of the tennis world.

"It is good we both know what each other is going through, obviously I got to the pinnacle of tennis and now she is up there," he said.

"And the pressures and whatever we don't speak too much about tennis but if we do we can sort it out or help each other.

"Everything has has been going well for the last four years on and off the court."

It has been a busy five weeks for Hewitt.

He was a part of Australia's successful Davis Cup campaign, carried Greg Norman's golf bag at the Australian PGA championship and opted out of next year's Olympics on top of popping the question.

In between he has even been able to fit in some tennis practice for his assault at becoming the first local male to win the Australian Open since 1976.

Hewitt earlier led Clijsters past a media throng at Perth Airport before using his trademark footwork to sidestep television cameras.

Clijsters sported a wide grin as her man led the way to a waiting car.

Hewitt will team up with fellow South Australian Alicia Molik in the mixed teams event.

The former world No.1 will play against his fiancee in the mixed doubles tie on Wednesday.

He dodged any questions about their upcoming showdown, instead saying he had to focus on the singles clash with Xavier Malisse of Belgium.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Aussie_Kim

Aussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond reputeAussie_Kim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you've gotta love Lleyton!
He sure knows how to deal with the media!

Good Luck to all my aussie boys - Lleyton Hewitt, Todd Reid, Mark Philippoussis, Chris Guccione, Todd Woodbridge & Wayne Arthurs. And my aussie girls Alicia Molik, Christine Wheeler, Casey Dellaqua, Nicole Pratt & Evie Dominikovic.Also Good Luck to Kim Clijsters, Elke Clijsters (the 'other sisters' ) & Kirsten Flipkens.

Although God demands a whole heart, He will accept a broken one if he gets all the pieces!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #7
Knockers LaBroad

Hewitt looking to net gains this season

By AAP and Peter Ker
January 3, 2004

A refreshed Lleyton Hewitt may have committed to fiancee Kim Clijsters but he's finding it more difficult to agree to an increased playing schedule this year.

The 22-year-old, in Perth for the Hopman Cup, which starts today, eased speculation he would increase his playing schedule in an effort to return to the top of world tennis this year.

The 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon champion, due to face Clijsters when Australia play Belgium next Wednesday, is yet to decide on his plans after sliding from No.1 to 17th in the world rankings last year.

"[I will] see what happens, I've not got past the round of 16 at the Aussie Open yet and the Hopman Cup and [adidas International in] Sydney is about working towards Melbourne for me and getting as much match preparation [as possible]," he said yesterday.

Andy Roddick, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Roger Federer have replaced Hewitt as the best male players after the South Australian scaled back his tournament commitments last year. But Hewitt said he had no regrets and felt the breather was a major factor in his crucial singles win over Spaniard Ferrero in Australia's Davis Cup final last November in Melbourne.

"It was awesome, I guess," Hewitt said. "Taking those last few months off before the Davis Cup final, I know people questioned it and the people closest to me didn't question it and knew what was best for me and it won us the Davis Cup in a lot of ways, as it won the match against Ferrero."

Hewitt toiled in hot conditions at the Burswood Dome yesterday for more than an hour and looked primed for another assault on the Australian Open in Melbourne, from January 19.

He'll be aiming to become the first Australian male to win the national open since 1976.

Hewitt said he felt stronger than ever and conceded the chance to become world No.1 again might provide too tantalising a challenge.

"I feel I have a lot of energy in the tank at the moment so if the chance comes around again to have a crack at number one I will be happy to take that chance."

Hewitt conceded there was unfinished business for he and Australian teammate Alicia Molik in the eight-nation cup tournament after they were defeated in the final by the United States last year.

The US have again been named top seeds for the mixed-teams event, but Lindsay Davenport has replaced Serena Williams this summer.

Hewitt will play unfancied Attila Savolt or little-known Canadian Frank Dancevic in Australia's opening tie on Sunday, depending on who wins today's qualifying tie.

Australia and Belgium have been installed by bookmakers as equal favourites.

The Russians have formed a strong team of 2000 US Open champion Marat Safin and world No.7 Anastasia Myskina and the Slovac Republic (Daniela Hantuchova/Karol Kucera) and France (Amelie Mauresmo/Fabrice Santoro) will also be competitive.

Hewitt played down questions about Wednesday's match-up against Belgium, and refused to discuss how he had proposed to Clijsters. He also was equally reticent about their wedding plans.

But he conceded their similar career paths meant he and the former women's world No.1 understood the burdens of the tennis world.

"It is good we both know what each other is going through, obviously I got to the pinnacle of tennis and now she is up there," he said. "And the pressures and whatever, we don't speak too much about tennis but if we do we can sort it out or help each other."

Meanwhile, Mark Philippoussis will contest next week's Qatar Open and the adidas International before returning to Melbourne Park for the Australian Open.

Speaking after a training session at Melbourne Park yesterday morning, Philippoussis said he was looking forward to beginning the year on a positive note.

"I've got two tournaments before the Aussie open, it has not been an ideal preparation for those, but they will be a good preparation for here," he said.

Much of Philippoussis's Christmas break was spent recovering from the pectoral muscle injury he sustained in the Davis Cup triumph.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...908915799.html
Old 01-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
country flag Jess

Jess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond reputeJess has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, well I guess it would be too much to hope for, for him to come out with soppy details about weddings etc.... he really doesn't like the media much does he?!
Jess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:12 AM   #9
country flag kim4eva

kim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt beefs up team
January 3, 2004

LLEYTON Hewitt has bolstered his support staff for a fresh assault on the world No.1 ranking.

Hewitt, 22, has recruited Adelaide pennant and occasional satellite tour player Jimmy Chaousis to assist coach Roger Rasheed.

Currently world-ranked 17th after a year of injury and moderate Grand Slam form, Hewitt hopes to quickly regain a single-digit ranking.

Chaousis, who has a physical education degree, will help as a hitting partner and with off-court training.

Rasheed, condemned by many after Hewitt's first-round Wimbledon loss to Ivo Karlovic, was hailed by Australian Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald during the 3-1 win over Spain.

The former touring pro formulated a high-risk fitness and recovery strategy for Hewitt after his foot injury in September.

At Rasheed's behest, Hewitt had a wart removed from his heel before embarking on a virtual pre-season preparation for the Davis Cup final.

The move paid dividends as Hewitt followed his Cup semi-final win over Roger Federer with an impressive success over Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final. But it was not without cost.

By missing several tournaments after the US Open, Hewitt's ranking plummeted, leaving him without the protection of a high seeding at this month's Australian Open.

Hewitt, however, is unfazed because his main goal at the start of last season was Davis Cup success.

But now he wants to reprise his best Grand Slam form.

"The Australian Open is the one Slam I've always wanted to do well at," Hewitt said, while preparing for his first Hopman Cup match tomorrow.

"The funny thing is that I've never really done that well there, so I'm not that worried about where I'm seeded.

"I've had my best Grand Slam results overseas, but I'd love to win the Australian Open, obviously."

Hewitt will play either Canadian Frank Dancevic or Hungarian Atilla Savolt in the Hopman Cup on Sunday -- depending on the result of today's Burswood play-off.

He then has round-robin matches against Belgium's Xavier Malisse - and a mixed doubles confrontation with fiancee Kim Clijsters - and Slovakian Karol Kucera.
kim4eva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:18 AM   #10
country flag kim4eva

kim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond reputekim4eva has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt, Molik aim to go one better

By Russell Reid

LLEYTON HEWITT will begin a busy month of tennis when he and partner Alicia Molik try to go one better at this summer's Hyundai Hopman Cup.

The Australians, runners-up to Americans James Blake and Serena Williams last year, open their 2004 campaign tomorrow.

Molik and Hewitt clash with the winner of today's play-off tie between Canada and Hungary at the Burswood Dome.

South Australian Hewitt scaled back his tennis schedule last year to concentrate on Davis Cup and grand slam events.

But, in an indication that could change in 2004, Hewitt will also play in the adidas International in Sydney before the Australian Open, starting at Melbourne Park on January 19.

The former world No. 1 said his ranking had dropped to No. 17 because he had not played that many matches outside of Davis Cup commitments in the past three months.

"Apart from the last two Davis Cup ties, which were obviously a couple of big highs for me in my career, I haven't played that many matches," Hewitt said yesterday. "But it was awesome, I guess, taking those last three months off for the Davis Cup final.

"I know a lot of people questioned it but the people closest to me didn't question it at all.

"They knew what was best for me and it won us the Davis Cup, in a lot of ways, winning that first match against Ferrero."

Hewitt said he was not driven by an ambition to regain the No. 1 ranking.

"Not really," he said.

"I think if I put myself in a position early in the year, then I might have a crack at it."

Hewitt said he would like nothing better than to win the Australian Open.

"I've been going to Melbourne Park ever since it opened," he said.

V More, page 127Aussies buoyed

V From back page "I get goose bumps just going in the place."

Hewitt said he had never played his best matches in the Australian Open there.

However, he added: "I know it was only Davis Cup and not the Australian Open, but I have played two of my greatest matches ever in there.

"Those memories are going to flood back when I get in there."

Taking their place with Australia in group B will be No. 3 seed Belgium, the Slovak Republic and the winner of today's play-off tie.

Tournament top seed USA, No. 4 seed Russia, France and the Czech Republic make up group A.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 AM   #11
country flag kim4eva

Has anyone suscribed to The Times? There's this article about Lleyton and Kim but only members could read it here's the title...

1. No love lost as Hewitt takes sides against Clijsters
2. Clijsters's engaged tone contrasts sharply with surly Hewitt
... Love — love changes everything, at least so Andrew Lloyd Webber, that well-known
philosopher, would have had us believe until Lleyton Hewitt came along. ...

Last edited by kim4eva : 01-03-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:28 AM   #12
Aussie_Kim

Thanks for the article
Please say someone has subscribed! Please...
It sounds good!
Kim is definetly a lot more open then Lleyton, if details are gonna be given, it'll be from her

Old 01-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
zanychick

zanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond repute

if you go to news.google.com and search for Lleyton Hewitt you can read the Surly Hewitt one

Toss me, but don't let the elf see

Mistress of Mischief

The Original Side-kick, aka The Side-kick Slut

Michael, why can't you just go to Arsenal and make my life so much easier?

[marquee]Everything is possible, except skiing through revolving doors[/marquee]
zanychick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #14
zanychick

zanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond reputezanychick has a reputation beyond repute

you can actually get them both

Mistress of Mischief

[marquee]Everything is possible, except skiing through revolving doors[/marquee]
Old 01-03-2004, 10:44 AM   #15
zanychick

No love lost as Hewitt takes sides against Clijsters
By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

A COUPLE of years ago, Roger Federer and Mirka Vavrinec teamed up to represent Switzerland in the Hyundai Hopman Cup, the traditional curtain-raiser to the year. Now the pair are inseparable, to the extent that Vavrinec handles the burgeoning publicity demands on the 2003 Wimbledon champion’s time.
Next week, there will be a more dramatic twist to the romance of this mixed doubles event in Perth when Lleyton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters compete against each other for their respective nations, less than two weeks after a boat trip around Sydney Harbour, during which Hewitt went down on one knee and popped the question.

Australia against Belgium would not usually cause too many heads to be turned but from next Wednesday, that will change. It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall of their preparation. When, before the Pacific Life Open finals day in Indian Wells last March — Clijsters was in the women’s match, followed by Hewitt in the men’s — a 6.30am alarm call woke the Belgian from her slumber, it did not stir her boyfriend. “He just rolled over and went back to sleep,” Clijsters said, not the least worried about what he might say when he discovered what she had said. Both of them won their finals, which took the edge off things.

A distinct keenness has already been added to the Hopman event in that Hewitt, who does few things by half, is treating the Hopman Cup more seriously in his Australian Open build-up than he has in the past. Roger Rasheed, his coach, spelt out the importance of these next two weeks.

“Everything we do on court, both in Perth and in Sydney the following week, is geared to having Lleyton in the best shape for the Open,” Rasheed said.

The Hewitt backroom team has been strengthened by the addition of Jimmy Chaousis to assist Rasheed. Chaousis, 22, an occasional satellite tour competitor, has impressed Hewitt with his coaching on the professional circuit.

Even though Hewitt begins the year ranked No 17, his lowest starting point in five years, he appears not the least anxious. “Being the No 1 hasn’t done me any favours, so why should going in at 17?” he said.

His mood will not have been improved with news that the ATP has adopted a new rule for 2004 ordering players to comply with television requests for interviews on the way to matches. Hewitt is still engaged in a legal battle with the ATP over his non-appearance at an interview in similar circumstances 18 months ago.

Mistress of Mischief