Just a thought for Iran - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just a thought for Iran

Just a pause to give a moment of sympathy for the inhabitants of the ancient city of Bam. What heartache and sorrow they must be feeling. I sincerely hope that the U.S. and other countries give aid to Iran in this tragic event.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a thought for Iran

The two thousand year old fortress that was destroyed.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts and prayers are with them. It's really an unfortunate circumstance.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

It is very sad. They say that 5,000 are confirmed dead but that the total will grow. I think of what an effec 3,000 dead had on New York City, and this is in a much smaller city of under 100,000 people. It is so sad.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
country flag Aurora
icicles down my spine

Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond repute

reaching out there with my thoughts
Aurora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

i think the death toll has reached a lot higher than that hasnt it now?
very unfortunate and sad thing to have happened
Old 12-28-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
Prophetic

Prophetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond reputeProphetic has a reputation beyond repute

They have my prayers. Call me a cynic but I don't see any US money headed that way any time soon. Dubya is free to prove me wrong though
Old 12-28-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Default Re: Re: Just a thought for Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther
i think the death toll has reached a lot higher than that hasnt it now?
very unfortunate and sad thing to have happened
I've heard conflicting things about the death toll. There is the loss of human life, the destruction of homes, and the loss to the world of an architectural treasure. It's very sad, although I suppose that an ancient structure of mudbrick built in part of the world that has phenomonal seismic activity was doomed.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:23 PM   #9
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

The New York Times
The historic city of Bam was heavily damaged when an earthquake struck southeast Iran.

Iran Quake Toll Rises to 25,000; Injured Fill Hospitals, and Streets
By NAZILA FATHI

Published: December 28, 2003

ERMAN, Iran, Dec. 27 — As rescue workers raced to the ancient city of Bam, officials there raised the death toll from its 12-second earthquake on Friday to 25,000, and worried that it could go much higher.

The interior minister, Abdolvahed Moussavi Lari, said on state television from Bam: "The city is ruined. More than 70 percent of it is destroyed."

Tens of thousands of the injured crowded field hospitals or lay helplessly in the streets. Survivors and rescuers dug frantically to uncover those still trapped.

In Bam, Reuters reported, one man, Taher, cried over the body of his teenage son, calling out, "Wake up, wake up!" Another parent, Fatemeh, 35, mourned her two children, saying, "I am burying myself in this grave."

Aftershocks jolted the area, shaking down the already crumbled low-rise dwellings of clay tile, brick and concrete block.

Dozens of international relief flights and supply shipments sped on their way, transporting everything from skilled rescue workers to water purification tablets. The United States said it was sending tons of medical supplies in a military airlift, as well as rescue squads and medical teams.

Most rescue workers were flying here to Kerman, to make their way by land to Bam, 120 miles to the southeast.

Iradj Sharifi, rector of the faculty of medicine in Kerman, said that in the pre-dawn earthquake, "Five thousand people were killed on the spot and there are 20,000 people under the rubble."

Brigadier Mohammadi, commander of the army in southeastern Iran, told state television, "We need help — otherwise we will be pulling corpses, not the injured, out of the rubble."

There were grim but uncertain predictions that the death toll — in a 2,000-year-old city of 80,000 people — might keep growing.

"As more bodies are pulled out, we fear that the death toll may reach as high as 40,000," said Akbar Alavi, the governor of Kerman, the provincial capital, according to The Associated Press. "An unbelievable human disaster has occurred."

The earthquake, which Iranian agencies measured at 6.3 and American agencies at 6.7, rocked Bam, 610 miles southeast of the capital, Tehran, at 5:28 a.m. Friday.

Government spokesmen said that foreign aid workers would not need entry visas and that aid would be welcome from everywhere but Israel. In a televised address, President Mohammad Khatami urged on rescue efforts, thanked the nations that were sending aid and said he was preparing to leave for Bam.

Volunteer rescue workers from around the country hurried into the city, some equipped with shovels, some joining survivors in clawing through the rubble barehanded. About 7,000 police officers were sent to Bam to help with the aid operation, Reuters said.

International rescue teams began arriving with sniffer dogs and detection equipment. One dog team dug out 20 survivors, the official Islamic Republic News Agency said.

The use of dogs, which are considered unclean by most Muslims, was a sticking point in rescue efforts in 1990, after the most deadly earthquake ever to strike Iran. It killed about 50,000 people.

On Saturday, state television showed film of bloodied victims being loaded onto planes. A provincial official, Saeed Iranmanesh, told The Associated Press that more than 9,000 of the injured were sent to hospitals throughout the country.

The bodies of the dead lined streets. The International Red Crescent advised people in the city to wear gloves and face masks because of fears of an epidemic, Reuters reported.

There were burials, but they were swift and brutal. Broad trenches were dug with earthmoving equipment to accommodate hundreds of bodies at a time, The Associated Press reported. State television showed some bodies being stowed in the trunks of cars. Many more bodies were collected at cemeteries, the agency reported.

At another cemetery, The Associated Press said, workers prepared a mass grave as a cleric and 10 people prayed over a second.

Muhammad Karimi brought the bodies of his wife and 4-year-old daughter for burial, the news agency said. "This is the apocalypse," he said. "There is nothing but devastation and debris."

At a news conference, the news agency reported, Mr. Lari, the interior minister, said: "Bam has turned into a wasteland. Even if a few buildings are standing, you cannot trust to live in them."v
Old 12-29-2003, 01:01 AM   #10
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

I love History, and anything related to it, you know, traditions of different cultures, and stuff like that as monuments of thousands of years, etc; but in this moment I really don't care for any "historic" thing that was destroyed due the earthquake.

All my prayers are with that innocent people who IMO haven't done almost anything wrong or bad compared to some others who live at better conditions than them.

I saw at my local newspaper a sequence of pics of a father carrying his 2 little dead sons on his arms, then giving a kiss to both, and then burying them on common "fosas"(is that a word)....no coffins, just like that....

It's so sad.

God bless all that people.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:20 AM   #11
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:23 AM   #12
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Default Re: Re: Just a thought for Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma. Estefania
I love History, and anything related to it, you know, traditions of different cultures, and stuff like that as monuments of thousands of years, etc; but in this moment I really don't care for any "historic" thing that was destroyed due the earthquake.

All my prayers are with that innocent people who IMO haven't done almost anything wrong or bad compared to some others who live at better conditions than them.

I saw at my local newspaper a sequence of pics of a father carrying his 2 little dead sons on his arms, then giving a kiss to both, and then burying them on common "fosas"(is that a word)....no coffins, just like that....

It's so sad.

God bless all that people.

Yes, Ma. Estefania, I agree. The historical treasures although irreplaceable are not as sad as the loss of human life. It is simply beyond my imagination. More than a quarter of the inhabitants may be dead and 70% of the town destroyed. Those people who have lost everything -- their families, their posessions, their shelter, their livlihood. It's hard to see how they could go on.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:14 AM   #13
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see a thread about this, even if it just serves to keep us from conveniently ignoring this terrible situation. I cannot fathom what it does to a region to lose over 20,000 of its people, not to mention much of its infrastructure and housing, in a matter of minutes.

I hope that the international aid will be swift and effective.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:29 AM   #14
country flag trixy

trixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond reputetrixy has a reputation beyond repute

It's really unfortunate and a truly sad loss .They are in my thoughts and prayers.
trixy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:41 AM   #15
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

thoughts are with them and makes us realise just lucky we are doesnt it?