Davis Cup - Page 22 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #316
country flag Chris-swede

Chris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup

Kevin Anderson will surely play...he is just in semis in Las Vegas!!!

Joachim Johansson * Andreas Vinciguerra* Jonas Björkman* ToJo* Robin Söderling* Oliver Rochus* Christope Rochus* Jarkko Nieminen* Fernando Gonzalez* Feliciano Lopez*Igor Andreev*Catalin Gard*Kristof Vliegen*Kristian Pless*Kenneth Carlsen*Juan Ignacio Chela*Steve Darcis*Kevin Anderson*Henri Kontinen*Henri Laaksonen*Daniel Berta*Rik de Voest*Niels Desein*Fernando Verdasco*Arthur de Greef*'David Goffin*Yannik Reuter*Erling Tveit*Devin Britton*Micke Kontinen*Christian Lindell*Erling Tveit*Robbye Poole*Henri Laaksonen*
Chris-swede is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #317
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

DC teams named:

Jarkko Nieminen
Juho Paukku
Timo Nieminen
Henri Kontinen

Kevin Anderson
Rik de Voest
Wesley Moodie
Jeff Coetzee
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #318
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to seeing how Jarkko will fair against this guy. It will surely be a tough match.

Quote:
Anderson enjoying new status

At 6 foot 7 inches, a tad over two metres, new South African tennis sensation Kevin Anderson knows what it is like to walk tall.

But suddenly after beating world number three Novak Djokovic, right now the hottest property in world tennis, in the current Masters tournament in Miami, the 21 year-old Johannesburg-born giant has been elevated to a position where he has his head in the clouds.

"Yes it's a stimulating and pleasing feeling to mingle with the greats of the game in the locker room and actually have them greet you when before they were only names that you worshipped from a distance," said Anderson in a conference call from the United states on Tuesday.

Ranked 122nd in the ATP world ratings before the Miami tournament started - largely as a result of recently finishing runner-up in the Las Vegas Open and becoming the first South African in two years to reach an ATP final - Kevin's father, Mike Anderson, who has been a major influence in his son's career, has calculated his burgeoning son will move up to approximately 110 next week.

Not bad for the new South African number one, who was ranked 550th in the world little more than five months ago.

Anderson believes he gained the stunning victory against Djokovic by raising the level of his game to new heights - which has given him confidence he could hold his own with the best in the world on the tennis court.

He lost his next game in Miami against 32nd Russian Igor Andreev by a whisker in a tense three-set battle and says his new-found status made it "a little difficult" to concentrate and repeat the level he had reached against Djokovic.

"But it was a good game," he says, "and part of a learning curve for me.

I've got no complaints with the way I played."

He believes his tennis has improved immeasurably under the guidance of Illinois University coach Brad Dancer, while Anderson spent three years on a scholarship.

"Areas I've looked at improving," added Anderson , "are playining closer to the baseline - instead of further back - and progressing more often to the net as a variation to what is basically a groundstroke game."

Because of his height, serving not unexpectedly is a forte of Anderson's play, but unlike many of those who are as tall and taller, he generally plays from the back of the court.

He is looking forward to next week's Davis Cup tie against Finland in Finland, with Anderson's meteoric emegence providing South Africa with fresh stimulus for what is expected to be a difficult tie - with the Finnish side including the 26th ranked Jarkko Nieminen.

And afterwards, he has mapped out a programme as busy as that of any player, including Challenger events as well as other clay court tournaments on the main ATP circuit - culminating in appearances in the three grand slam events of the year after the fairytale all began when he qualified for the Australian Open main draw in January.

"I'm still in a position where I might have to qualify for some of these tournaments," he says, "but I have no points to drop from last year and there is a good chance my ranking can improve further."

He left St Stithians School in Johannesburg, where he was also an above-average cricket and soccer player, to finish his matric via private studies so that he could concentrate on a tennis career.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #319
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

The second Daviscup tie will be right before Toronto. Most likely play-downs vs Luxembourg at home. So at least Finland won't go down to Group III.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #320
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

Some photos from the Davis Cup tie against Luxembourg.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...20Cup/?start=0

And few videos here. I recommend you watch those in high quality, then it looks even a bit reasonable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKqvhKgPo1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrPFtgFjx1M
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #321
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Denmark should play with Nielsen and Pedersen in singles and Nielsen/Norby in doubles, who have won challengers. Still the doubles should be the biggest chance for the third point. We can expect a fast surface for this tie.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #322
country flag Labamba

should be interesting, I think we have a good chance if the best squad is available

a lot can happen before March
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #323
country flag JMG

Any news?

I see Juho has committed to the futures in Texas (qualifying) for the next two weeks. Is that a sign that he won't play DC? Laaksonen is on the quali list in Switzerland as well.

I don't see a reason why Heliövaara should be in the team instead of Paukku?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #324
anttik

anttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that the DC-team against Denmark will be: Jarkko Nieminen, Henri Kontinen, Timo Nieminen and Harri Heliövaara. Juho Paukku really plans to play futures quallies in USA.

We have to wait until 24th february to know what the DC-team will be.
anttik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #325
anttik

anttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond reputeanttik has a reputation beyond repute

DC-team against Denmark has named:

Jarkko Nieminen
Henri Kontinen
Timo Nieminen
Harri Heliövaara

Same team as last summer against Luxemburg.
Jarkko and Henri will play double for sure,
but will it be Henri or Timo who will play second single?

Juho Paukku will continue his tennis in States.
Someone told that Juho has some contract problems
with Finnish Tennis Association.

...and Henri Laaksonen still have to wait his first DavisCup.
I hope the DC-debut for Henri L will be next summer against Monaco/Montenegro.
anttik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #326
country flag zeli

zeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond repute

If Kontinen didn't played last CH, I think, It seems he is going to play single match. Maybe he has some agreements with national coach.
zeli is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #327
country flag Labamba

R1 - M.PEDERSEN (DEN) v. J.NIEMINEN (FIN)
R2 - F.NIELSEN (DEN) v. T.NIEMINEN (FIN)
R3 - F.NIELSEN / R.NORBY (DEN) v. H.KONTINEN / J.NIEMINEN (FIN)
R4 - F.NIELSEN (DEN) v. J.NIEMINEN (FIN)
R5 - M.PEDERSEN (DEN) v. T.NIEMINEN (FIN)

If it comes down to the 5th rubber, I think Henri might play that one. Let's hope we can finish this off sooner.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #328
country flag zeli

zeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond reputezeli has a reputation beyond repute

Rubber 1
Martin PEDERSEN (DEN) 3 1 3
Jarkko NIEMINEN (FIN) 6 6 6
Rubber 2
Frederik NIELSEN (DEN) 2 6 6 6
Timo NIEMINEN (FIN) 6 4 2 3
Rubber 3
Frederik NIELSEN/Rasmus NORBY 4 4 5
Henri KONTINEN/Jarkko NIEMINEN 6 6 7

Good chance for Henri...I hope Jarkko will beat player with 290 rank
zeli is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #329
country flag Labamba

always great to get a win away from home

Monaco at home up next fast court required for this one, clay is their favourite surface
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #330
country flag Labamba

Naantali was chosen to host the next DC-tie and they only have clay courts

I'm quite sure laying a new surface is out of the question...