The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Want to have the rep system started from 0?

YES 6 20.00%
NO 9 30.00%
I DON'T CARE - WHATEVER 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 04-18-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
http://menstennisforums.com/showthre...ght=2147483647

This thread explains why the max. exists in rep points.
Lee I read that thread. I can't say I totally understood it, but I did read it. I know nothing about computers which is
why I'm sure I can't follow that thread. But I do know programs on computers can be changed. I don't know what amount of time or money that would take or who would do it? And Deb you are always talking about the Admins. have personal lives and there are maybe other things they want to do on the Forum. And yes I'm sure the Admins. have personal lives because all of the rest of us do also. And if there are things they would like done on the Forum they could tell us. Frankly I think with a Forum this size that part of the trouble is there are not enough Admins. for the Forum. And I don't know who decides how many and who are Admins. for this Forum? Because if I did I would be putting in a request for more people to be in charge of this Forum. IMO more help is needed for a Forum that is this big.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #32
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 82,838
Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Lee I read that thread. I can't say I totally understood it, but I did read it. I know nothing about computers which is
why I'm sure I can't follow that thread. But I do know programs on computers can be changed. I don't know what amount of time or money that would take or who would do it?
Yes, programs on computers can be changed but for this problem, the first thing that needs to change is the data field. The data field was set up a 'integer'. That's a number without decimals and can be positive or negative. And I don't know how well you know about binary system.

In order to allow the rep points to be higher, as suggested in that thread, the data field containing the rep points needs to change. It's HUGH!!!! Other than change the database, you have to find ALL programs access that data field and fix or recompile them. Changing programs in a system is not a simple task.

Remember the Y2K problem? (you may be too young about 10 years ago) It sounds simple adding 2 more digits to the year but it took my company over 3 years from planning, setting up timeline and resources, actually do the changes to programs and fully test the changes. And our system is for small to mid-size companies only. And this doesn't include the time for actually change the database of our customers and install the new programs. Of course, the change of rep point is a lot smaller compare to Y2K.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #33
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Yes, programs on computers can be changed but for this problem, the first thing that needs to change is the data field. The data field was set up a 'integer'. That's a number without decimals and can be positive or negative. And I don't know how well you know about binary system.

In order to allow the rep points to be higher, as suggested in that thread, the data field containing the rep points needs to change. It's HUGH!!!! Other than change the database, you have to find ALL programs access that data field and fix or recompile them. Changing programs in a system is not a simple task.

Remember the Y2K problem? (you may be too young about 10 years ago) It sounds simple adding 2 more digits to the year but it took my company over 3 years from planning, setting up timeline and resources, actually do the changes to programs and fully test the changes. And our system is for small to mid-size companies only. And this doesn't include the time for actually change the database of our customers and install the new programs. Of course, the change of rep point is a lot smaller compare to Y2K.
Lee thank you so much. You did a very excellent job at explaining something very complicated in a way that I could understand it. So the Rep Fix is not something that can be done simply at all. Now I understand that. However, I still feel my point about this big Forum needing more Admins. is a valid one. Right now there are no matches up for vBetting at all. That is something that a lot of people including myself do like and care about. There should be more support in that area for sure. And I thought that was going to be taken care of, but apparently it wasn't. And I do seem to remember that some members did say they would be glad to help out in that area.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #34
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Well I found out that the MTF wasn't as large as I thought.
While I couldn't get the MTF I took a look at the WTA. My
goodness all the Admins., etc. are there and why shouldn't they be? The WTA has more than double the MTF's membership The WTA has a large number of Moderators, then they have a few Super Moderators, and a list of people in the Admins. section. As someone who has no interest in Women's Tennis at all I have to admit I was surprised. However, I still think the MTF is large enough to at least have a few more people in charge.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #35
country flag NATAS81
Senior Member
 
NATAS81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Age: 32
Posts: 19,353
NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

We need some mods here with the balls of WTA ones.
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:12 AM   #36
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
We need some mods here with the balls of WTA ones.
You know I noticed a Sticky that they had on the WTA that said if you made a "rude comment" you would get a reprimand. Now I wish I would have read the Sticky to see what they considered a "rude comment". But even without reading the Sticky I got the definite feeling that the WTA is-- how shall I say this--how about less liberal than the MTF. I don't even think we have enough mods to be handing out reprimands to people

Last edited by 16681 : 04-20-2006 at 04:39 AM.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #37
country flag am&a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,585
am&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond reputeam&a has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Of course, the change of rep point is a lot smaller compare to Y2K.
NO IT'S NOT. |:. how dare you insinuate that rep points aren't what makes the entire world turn. they are almost as important as VBETTING.
am&a is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #38
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
You know I noticed a Sticky that they had on the WTA that said if you made a "rude comment" you would get a reprimand. Now I wish I would have read the Sticky to see what they considered a "rude comment". But even without reading the Sticky I got the definite feeling that the WTA is-- how shall I say this--how about less liberal than the MTF. I don't even think we have enough mods to be handing out reprimands to people
WTAWorld makes MTF look tiny, and some of the people over there make the meanest MTF posers look nice. There is a much larger need for strict moderation there than here. It's not called WTAHell for no reason The supermods are very responsive to rude comments here and the most active player forums have mods. Reported posts are dealt with very quickly, at least that has been my experience
__________________
LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #39
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ˇ|:!
WTAWorld makes MTF look tiny, and some of the people over there make the meanest MTF posers look nice. There is a much larger need for strict moderation there than here. It's not called WTAHell for no reason The supermods are very responsive to rude comments here and the most active player forums have mods. Reported posts are dealt with very quickly, at least that has been my experience
I was not aware that the WTA was called that. Would a poster be allowed to follow another poster around the Forum making fun of them be allowed on the WTA?
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #40
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 82,838
Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am&a
NO IT'S NOT. |:. how dare you insinuate that rep points aren't what makes the entire world turn. they are almost as important as VBETTING.
My bad. But that's not what I mean. I know rep points are VERY important. It's just that changing the rep points is a less complicate work than Y2K.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #41
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
I was not aware that the WTA was called that. Would a poster be allowed to follow another poster around the Forum making fun of them be allowed on the WTA?
I don't know, I don't post there, I've only read various things and been pretty horrified by what I saw. I just know it's a lot worse than here - it's a lot bigger to begin with - so there is a much bigger need for control there. The problems that we seem to have here are mostly isolated problems, one person has a problem with another person and it can easily be dealt with by utilizing the ignore list. There are some broad problems in GM but it's nothing to the level of WTAWorld as far as I know.
__________________
LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #42
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
My bad. But that's not what I mean. I know rep points are VERY important. It's just that changing the rep points is a less complicate work than Y2K.
Lee that post was not meant for you it was meant for me.
Don't worry about it

Last edited by 16681 : 04-21-2006 at 11:07 PM.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #43
16681
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ˇ|:!
I don't know, I don't post there, I've only read various things and been pretty horrified by what I saw. I just know it's a lot worse than here - it's a lot bigger to begin with - so there is a much bigger need for control there. The problems that we seem to have here are mostly isolated problems, one person has a problem with another person and it can easily be dealt with by utilizing the ignore list. There are some broad problems in GM but it's nothing to the level of WTAWorld as far as I know.
Well I don't think I agree with you that a problem can be easily dealt with by utilizing the ignore list. But the ignore list does help.

Last edited by 16681 : 04-21-2006 at 11:12 PM.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #44
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am
 
Denaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 37
Posts: 21,208
Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

Come on!!!!
__________________


Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #45
country flag +alonso
Registered User
 
+alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 24
Posts: 14,054
+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Can I have my rep points back to zero, please? Thread

I want more rep points! PLEASE!!!!
__________________
GATO GAUDIO | FEŃA GONZÁLEZ
+alonso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios