The "injuries still suck" RG thread - Page 97 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #1441
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "injuries still suck" RG thread

I completely missed the match...though I think I'm glad I did.

Murray/Monfils was on when I left the house and then my friend and I decided to have a ditch day from school and I caught part of his press conference while we were at her house.

Man, this sucks.

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #1442
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

Good fighting spirit, Andy! I'm really glad he used his brain to decide that playing on just wasn't worth it.
That makes me so sad to hear he was really upset about retiring. How the French could boo that... I have NO idea.
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #1443
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

news
Quote:
Injured Roddick out, Hewitt through
By Matthew Cronin
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It was a bad and anxious day for the Andys.

After British hopeful Andy Murray and his bad back went down in five sets to France's Gael Monfils, American and fifth seed Andy Roddick withdrew from his first round match against Spaniard Alberto Martin because of a recurrence of an ankle injury. Roddick was trailing 4-6 5-7 0-1.

It was the third time that the American has fallen in the first round here and he has only advanced to the third round once, in his 2001 debut.

Roddick tried vainly to hang in long backcourt rallies with the quick and intelligent Martin, but had trouble sliding and tweaked his ankle a number of times.

Roddick first suffered the injury last week at the World Team Cup and said the ankle never felt 100 percent.

He fought off a break in the second set, but late in the set, he twisted his ankle again. Martin did a terrific job on moving Roddick around and the American was only in control when his serve was cranking, which wasn't often enough.

"At 5-all when I tried to go back for an overhead, I kind of caught it the wrong way again," Roddick said. "It started affecting the way I landed on my serve. Not much else was working besides my serve. It was a lost cause, I think. I didn't think it was going to be a hundred per cent. Maybe I was stupidly optimistic last week. But I was definitely tentative sliding around out there."

Roddick requested a trainer to re-tape his ankle down 0-1 in the third set, but the rulebook no longer allows players to re-tape injuries once a new set has begun. Had Roddick asked for the re-taping after the second set, he would have had his wish granted, but it's unlikely it would have affected the outcome of the match.

"Right now I just want to get healthy,' said Roddick who also suffered an injury in Rome and hasn't won a title this year.

"It's been an extremely annoying the last month or so. It's frustrating. You feel kind of helpless because mentally you're one way, then physically you're another."

With Roddick's exit and Robby Ginepri's loss today, only two American men remain: eighth seed James Blake, who faces red hot Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, and lucky loser Kevin Kim, who has the Herculean task of facing defending champion Rafael Nadal.

The U.S. - which saw three men win four Roland Garros titles between 1989 and 1999 - hasn't seen one of its men reach the second week since Michael Russell in 2001.

"Obviously, we're not in a dominating position," Roddick said. "We're playing a 7 2 off suit against pocket aces right now. I'll pull for James as much as possible. I really hope he does it. Having said that, it's a pretty tough draw, as well."

Two-time Grand Slam champion Lleyton Hewitt came through, besting Jan Henrych 7-6, 3-6, 6-2, 6-0.

Hewitt, who like Roddick has been struggling with injuries and had played only one clay court match coming into Roland Garros, was fairly consistent on the day and never got rattled.

"I haven't played, apart from one match, on clay for two years," Hewitt said. "It's obviously tough to come out here and expect to be playing at your best the whole time. But I felt like there were patches today where I played extremely well. He's not an easy player to play against. So it was a good one to get under my belt."

Hewitt said his sore calf has healed but his ankle is still not 100 percent. He's in Nadal's quadrant and knows he'll have to be in top shape if he's to go far.

"It's obviously pretty tough coming into such a big tournament and not having as many matches, let alone this year but last year as well," he said. " That obviously makes things pretty tough. Hopefully I can get better and better with each match."
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #1444
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

video interview with Andy here, he seems tired of explaining himself about the injury.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...997653552.html
Old 05-31-2006, 01:46 AM   #1445
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

He looks sad... and sort of, ashamed that he had to retire you know. I guess it's normal for players to feel like that after retiring, it's probably one of the last things they wanna do while playing a match.

I guess we can only hope for a good run at Queens...
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 AM   #1446
country flag morningglory

morningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond reputemorningglory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a very difficult decision but it's hard to say because I don't know if I take another week off, who knows how it's going to be," Sharapova said. "It's like a poker game. I don't know what cards will show up, even tomorrow".
And I wondered where she got that from...

Quote:
"Obviously, we're not in a dominating position," Roddick said. "We're playing a 7 2 off suit against pocket aces right now. I'll pull for James as much as possible. I really hope he does it. Having said that, it's a pretty tough draw, as well."
now I know 7-2 off suit is the worst hand you can possibly get. No straight draws, no flush draws, and the lowest pair possible.

but just wait... a seven and a two will show up on the flop and send the pocket aces folding
morningglory is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #1447
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do I really want to put the tennis on that I Tivod today?

Luke Jensen makes me crazy.

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear

Last edited by acoffeygirl : 05-31-2006 at 05:51 AM.
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #1448
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

I knew Andy would lose after that first set

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #1449
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

s all round. And one super sized one for Andy

HealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQu icklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyH ealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQui cklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHe alQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuic klyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHea lQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuicklyHealQuick ly!
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #1450
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

Andy

I don't think it's really that much of a surprise, i think like Andy a lot of us were "stupidly optimistic" about his chances. I'm glad he made the smart decision and pulled from the match, an even smarter one would have been to pull from the tournament altogether but i think all of us knew no matter how injured he was the stubborn Andy would play regardless. I just hope he's better for Queens and Wimbledon and not just because of the whole "how many points he needs to defend" issue, just because now the grass court season wouldn't be right without him, next to federer he's the best grass court player and he's usually 10x more exciting than the Roger too.

I think he desereves a big thumbs up for staying in Europe,
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM   #1451
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

Andy sounds super serious about wanting to win Wimbledon, and I'm sure he's taking this injury very seriously... if staying (or even thinking about staying) isn't a big sign... I don't know what is!
Let's hope he can do it, because with a year like this - he certainly deserves it.
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #1452
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Thanks for the pics Nat.

By the way, what is happening here? He's got his finger down the front... His face...

LMFAO!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #1453
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we all know Andy likes adjusting himself down there.

I just don't know what to expect of Andy's year now. But hopefully this gives his ankle enough time to make a full recovery (and gives Andy enough time to get on the grass and get some practice in).
Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #1454
country flag blosson
La La Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaer
Andy sounds super serious about wanting to win Wimbledon, and I'm sure he's taking this injury very seriously... if staying (or even thinking about staying) isn't a big sign... I don't know what is!
Let's hope he can do it, because with a year like this - he certainly deserves it.
That would be just wonderful! However Mr Federer and some others are on his way and he hasn't made any final this year By now he usually should have 1 or 2 titles... Oh well, let's hope for the best and who knows he can make the final once again!

Does anyone know if the same 2 players ever made 3 finals in a row in a GS?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #1455
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Andy is only going to win one title this year, Wimbledon.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote