***The "Defend your title under the Miami Heat" thread*** - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #76
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***The [insert witty comment here] Miami thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Hey last year he made it to the semis, lost to Nadal and still was able to win in Halle and Wimbledon. The pressure on him to win Wimbledon last year was huge because he lost SF at AO and FO. I don't think he'll win both either, but it's not impossible.
Hey, I don't think it's impossible, just very unlikely.
Like many say - if anyone's got a chance - it's Roger, but his is slim too, unfortunately.

Physically speaking - you're right, only one match makes the difference from last year and a possible RG-Wimby double, but for me every time he wins a Slam it's a miracle, even though I know he's the best by far, so expecting him to win two in the space of 3 weeks is a luxury I can't afford...
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #77
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Hey, I don't think it's impossible, just very unlikely.
Like many say - if anyone's got a chance - it's Roger, but his is slim too, unfortunately.

Physically speaking - you're right, only one match makes the difference from last year and a possible RG-Wimby double, but for me every time he wins a Slam it's a miracle, even though I know he's the best by far, so expecting him to win two in the space of 3 weeks is a luxury I can't afford...
Then he's going to have to give up one for the other. But knowing how much he loves Wimbledon I can't ever see him going into a year NOT making that a priority. He may have no choice but we all know how much he loves that event.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #78
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see how Nadal manages intense media expectation and the defence of so many points during the clay season leading up to the FO and during the FO. On other surfaces, he has been able to deflect questions by repeating the same answer again and again, "Roger is the best player, one of the best in history, I have a lot to learn blah blah". He could of course continue to do that but there will be no letup from the media about how much better he is on clay.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #79
country flag Gulliver

Gulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I am not looking beyond Federer's first match
If he wins that, I shall focus on the next one.

Last edited by Gulliver : 03-22-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Gulliver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #80
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
It will be interesting to see how Nadal manages intense media expectation and the defence of so many points during the clay season leading up to the FO and during the FO. On other surfaces, he has been able to deflect questions by repeating the same answer again and again, "Roger is the best player, one of the best in history, I have a lot to learn blah blah". He could of course continue to do that but there will be no letup from the media about how much better he is on clay.
The boy is the most mature teenager I've seen in my life, both physically and mentally.
There have been many occasions already where he proved tougher than anyone else on the tour under pressure, and his RG encounter with Gasquet last year just showed the huge mental and physical gap between him and his fellow young guns.

Seeing as he's also very kind (off court) and well educated, I think he's capable of carrying his media duties with ease.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #81
country flag Rogiman

Miami 1st round, today :

C.Rochus def. W. Moodie 2:6 6:4 6:4

Bad flashbacks
Old 03-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #82
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower
He's a NINJA, isn't he ?
YES HE IS NNNNNNNNNIIIIIINNNNNNNJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #83
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The boy is the most mature teenager I've seen in my life, both physically and mentally.
There have been many occasions already where he proved tougher than anyone else on the tour under pressure, and his RG encounter with Gasquet last year just showed the huge mental and physical gap between him and his fellow young guns.

Seeing as he's also very kind (off court) and well educated, I think he's capable of carrying his media duties with ease.
Richard was not good in that match but Nadal was great there. It is hard to say, Nadal is not in the Roger's situation and expectations can get to people. Have to see how he deals with it but it doesn't matter as long as Roger plays him with focusing fully in the match.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #84
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Nadal is 19, the teenage years are basically over. Aren't they over at 18? There are many other 19 year olds that are just as mentally tough and gifted in different avenues of life. At 19, I was doing my senior year of college. Nadal is gifted in his field and has been raised to be confident about his abilities. It's no different than some of you guys online that are confident in your abilities to excel at a job at a young age vs other people your ages that would simply fail if placed in your positions. So, I agree with you rogiman, he will handle the pressure just fine..........

Nevertheless, I still think Roger is the better tennis player at this point, so, I want to see Roger win FO and I actually feel very good about his chances.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #85
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Nadal is 19, the teenage years are basically over. Aren't they over at 18?
It's pronounced nineteen, I thought teen is teen
Quote:
There are many other 19 year olds that are just as mentally tough and gifted in different avenues of life. At 19, I was doing my senior year of college.
Really...?
At 19 I had been a souldier for a year already, and not a truly gifted one
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #86
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Then he's going to have to give up one for the other. But knowing how much he loves Wimbledon I can't ever see him going into a year NOT making that a priority. He may have no choice but we all know how much he loves that event.

Roger isn't really facing many obstacles on the grass, so it may not be so very hard for him to win FO and go on to win Wimbledon. I don't have as much confidence in him winning the US Open this year. I'm actually thinking Nadal will win it if Roger wins FO and Wimbledon.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #87
country flag Dirk

Quote:
Roger isn't really facing many obstacles on the grass, so it may not be so very hard for him to win FO and go on to win Wimbledon. I don't have as much confidence in him winning the US Open this year. I'm actually thinking Nadal will win it if Roger wins FO and Wimbledon.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #88
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

Quote:
It's pronounced nineteen, I thought teen is teen Really...?
Ok, forgive me in advance if this comes off a bit bitchy........someone at work is pissing me off...........but, I am quite aware of the 'teen' at the end of the word. What I am saying is that even though the word is spelt as such, the typical teenage years of a person are over at 18.

Quote:
At 19 I had been a souldier for a year already, and not a truly gifted one
Are you a soldier by profession? Or was it your country's requirements that you were fulfilling? I'm not saying at 19 everyone should be gifted at everything, that's impossible. Some people are just finding themselves at 19. But if someone is already in his or her chosen career, it is quite possible the person is very gifted and mature.......

I just wanted to add, though, that there are downsides to having this level of responsibility at 19. If I had a choice, between Roger or Nadal's career progress, I'd choose Roger. I think Roger matured without pressure and that has been an asset in his ability to maintain such a high level of success over a long period of time. Even though he seems to be handling it very good, I'm sure Nadal is under a lot of pressure. I'm curious to see if he will have as much longevity as Roger at the top of the game...............personally, I doubt it.......

Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 03-22-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #89
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Why are you laughing Dirk? At the prospect of Nadal winning the US Open? Well, I'm being generous and giving him one this year. I can't exactly be so arrogant as to say that Roger will win all 4..............and the prospect of someone other than Roger or Nadal winning a GS this year is just in my book, but things can always change. I'm also saying that FO is Roger's this year.

Tennis Helps!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #90
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Go Roger

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote