***The "Defend your title under the Miami Heat" thread*** - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #61
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***The [insert witty comment here] Miami thread***

Those who think he won't be physically tired if he wins Miami must remember the conditions in Miami are twice as taxing as in IW.

And the matches are tougher, too, due to the slow condition.
If anything, this is as close as a HC tournament get to a clay one, and it shows in the success people like Guga (although he's not a good example, because he's done well in all of the american TMS), Coria, Gonzales, Nadal and others have enjoyed there over the years.

Just have a look at Roger's last year's results:

R128 Bye, () N/A
R64 Rochus, Olivier (BEL ) 14 6-3 6-1
R32 Zabaleta, Mariano (ARG ) 51 6-2 5-7 6-3
R16 Ancic, Mario (CRO ) 13 6-3 4-6 6-4
Q Henman, Tim (GBR ) 21 6-4 6-2
S Agassi, Andre (USA ) 8 6-4 6-3
W Nadal, Rafael (ESP ) 6 2-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-3 6-1

Ancic and Nadal aside, can you think of any other HC tourney where Zabaleta could push Roger like that...?

This is a dirtballers' paradise.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #62
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Winning Miami is important to Roger and let's hope he is successful in his defense of the title. Personally, I think it's not only important in terms of points, but also from a psycological perspective. Nadal is putting pressure on Roger and that Dubai final didn't help matters. Roger needs to stroll into the clay season being able to say to himself, "hey, with all the pressure he(Nadal) attempted to put on me, I defended, now, it's my turn to put pressure on him to defend his two." Should Roger go out early and Nadal win this tournament, it will rattle Roger and may make him doubt himself as he enters the clay season................while giving Nadal even more confidence.

In terms of points, should Roger lose Miami early and Nadal win the title, there will no longer be a 2000+ points to play with............in addition to this, should Nadal perform better at Wimbledon and the US Open, he will close the gap even more (and while some may laugh at Nadal, I do not think it is so farfetched to expect him to perform well at these events). Lastly, Nadal isn't defending any point at the Masters' cup, he can only gain, so that can close the gap even further and turn the year end no. 1 position into a bit of a fight..............
Nadal has 2300 points to defend this clay season. MC, ROME, BARCELONA, RG. In the summer he has those two clay titles to defend that are worth over 500 put together. I think he might skip them and play a hardcourt event in the US before Canada. Canada he has 500 points, then he has 3rd points at USO, China Open points, 500 Madrid points therefore we shouldn't be cutting short just how huge it is for Nadal to not only defend his points but come up with enough outside of those events to give him more than Roger's.

I do agree with people who think that he should win Miami just to put pressure on Nadal now, let him experience what Roger has been experiencing for the past 2 years.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #63
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Those who think he won't be physically tired if he wins Miami must remember the conditions in Miami are twice as taxing as in IW.

And the matches are tougher, too, due to the slow condition.
If anything, this is as close as a HC tournament get to a clay one, and it shows in the success people like Guga (although he's not a good example, because he's done well in all of the american TMS), Coria, Gonzales, Nadal and others have enjoyed there over the years.

Just have a look at Roger's last year's results:

R128 Bye, () N/A
R64 Rochus, Olivier (BEL ) 14 6-3 6-1
R32 Zabaleta, Mariano (ARG ) 51 6-2 5-7 6-3
R16 Ancic, Mario (CRO ) 13 6-3 4-6 6-4
Q Henman, Tim (GBR ) 21 6-4 6-2
S Agassi, Andre (USA ) 8 6-4 6-3
W Nadal, Rafael (ESP ) 6 2-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-3 6-1

Ancic and Nadal aside, can you think of any other HC tourney where Zabaleta could push Roger like that...?

This is a dirtballers' paradise.
They are tougher but not enough to stop Roger. Let's not forget it was piggy who was on the verge of cramping in the final not Roger. Roger had the tougher matches too. Roger will keep his focus more often this year I bet. He wants to keep this title badly. I SO SO WANT IW AND MIAMI BACK TO BACK WINS. I don't think anyone has done that before. Time to set a new record.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #64
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

In order to win the French Roger might have to sacrifice Wimby. But then again it's Roger and nothing he does ceases to amaze me. So if anyone could win FO and Wimby in the same year it would be him.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #65
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

I, for one, would like him to win RG, even if that means losing at Wimby, with all the pride I take from his dominance on Grass.

In terms of career achievements methinks a RG title stands taller than 4 Wimbys in a row.

Last edited by Rogiman : 03-22-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #66
country flag Dirk

Quote:
I, for one, would like him to win RG, even if that means losing at Wimby, with all the pride I take from his dominance on Grass.

I terms of career achievements methinks a RG title stands taller than 4 Wimbys in a row.
RG will hurt his Halle form but not his Wimbledon form. Roger will still have tons of time to practice on grass. He could lose early in Halle and stay there playing doubles or just being a practice partner for others left in the draw or he could go to Wimbledon early. Roger can have his cake and eat it too on this one.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #67
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
RG will hurt his Halle form but not his Wimbledon form. Roger will still have tons of time to practice on grass. He could lose early in Halle and stay there playing doubles or just being a practice partner for others left in the draw or he could go to Wimbledon early. Roger can have his cake and eat it too on this one.
With you it always looks like he's some comic-strip figure, capable of jumping from buildings and stuff...

I don't expect him to win RG, BTW
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #68
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With you it always looks like he's some comic-strip figure, capable of jumping from buildings and stuff...
He's a NINJA, isn't he ?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #69
country flag avocadoe

avocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond repute

i think Roger will alright, barring injury...the adrenalin high of winning will keep him going for a while. I mean he comes into Miami off a win, yes pressure, is on to continue to play well from the start, but he's had almost 5 days off before he starts. Then once in the tournament, he'll try to win it. If he can it will be a BIG boost to his confidance, and he will go positive into the next leg of the journey. How clay will work out is unknown, but he wants to give it his all, and he will. Should he fall short there, he'll win Wimby. Should he win RG, the high of that will carry him through Wimby
avocadoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #70
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
You're nuts if you think Roger will purpously tank in a TMS event where he is defending champion.
Besides tanking Miami is not a guarantee to win MC or Rome.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #71
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In terms of career achievements methinks a RG title stands taller than 4 Wimbys in a row.
I'd rather have him win both RG and Wimby !
Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #72
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

so?
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #73
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Besides tanking Miami is not a guarantee to win MC or Rome.
Exactly and this is why he won't be doing any tanking.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #74
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV
I'd rather have him win both RG and Wimby !
I'd rather be a multi-millionaire, find a cure to cancer, be a rock star and win RG and Wimby myself.

Not gonna happen though.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #75
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Hey last year he made it to the semis, lost to Nadal and still was able to win in Halle and Wimbledon. The pressure on him to win Wimbledon last year was huge because he lost SF at AO and FO. I don't think he'll win both either, but it's not impossible.

Everyone thinks Rafa will win every clay court event he plays this year. I wonder what the media will do if that doesn't happen?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote