***The "Defend your title under the Miami Heat" thread*** - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #31
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***The [insert witty comment here] Miami thread***

Roger has an extra week this year between Miami and MC so he could be in better form come clay season.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
Dude, you just love getting way ahead of yourself don't you

Final is a long ways away and who says Roger and Rafa will play each other in the final? There are no absolute guarantees in tennis today.
I will go one even further and predict that Nadal's heel will explode in the final during the 4th set with Roger after Roger grinds it down to dust.

HOW IS THAT???????????????????????
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #33
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
I will go one even further and predict that Nadal's heel will explode in the final during the 4th set with Roger after Roger grinds it down to dust.

HOW IS THAT???????????????????????
I'm cumming
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #34
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

I would love for Roger to tank Miami so that he can get more practise on clay before MC but reading his interview after the IW final, I am not sure he will tank it. He said that after losing Dubai he was very disappointed and getting down on himself, so he was very nervous getting into IW.

Roger has a very competitive nature as far as I can tell so he will play well even if he feels "relaxed" going into Miami.

He may not tank Miami but if he considers it a good venue for experimenting with new skills and in the process losing a match, that would be great too.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #35
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I want Roger to do well on the dirt too, but if he's going to tank (which I know he won't) then he should just skip it all together. Roger took time off after AO, I don't think he'll be burned out by the time he get's to MC.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #36
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is defending a lot of points in Miami, he needs to have a successful tournament. The fact of the matter is that Nadal is on his heel chasing that no. 1 ranking. I do not think for one second that Nadal is just interested in maintaining his no. 2 ranking. I also think Roger is very aware of this fact so tanking a tournament as important as a MS is not an option. Furthermore , as Mirkaland said, Roger took a significant break after AO and even after Miami, he will still have a bit of a break. So, I don't think it's wise to wish Roger an early loss in Miami.

If Roger loses early in Miami, it puts a bit more pressure on him to perform during the Clay season to earn back those points. It would be better if Roger goes into the clay season chasing Nadal with less pressure on his(Roger's) shoulders the way Nadal has attempted to chase him(Roger) as of late.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 03-21-2006 at 08:17 PM.
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 PM   #37
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa has a lot of points to defend as well but if he would happen to win Miami and Roger goes out early there will be a lot of pressure on Roger to do well in MC. Rafa didn't play IW last year and this year he made SF so he picked up points there. Roger has enough pressure the way it is with people wondering if he can beat Rafa on the dirt or win a "Roger slam". During IW Roger said he was worried about how he would perform because he didn't have a lot of matches under his belt and said he wants to go into the clay season match tough.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #38
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Roger is defending a lot of points in Miami, he needs to have a successful tournament. The fact of the matter is that Nadal is on his heel chasing that no. 1 ranking.
Some stats:
Even if Roger loses 1st round, AND Nadal wins the tourney, Nadal will only cut 150 points off the 2000+ gap between them right now.

That's because Nadal made the final last year, therefore he's got 350 points to defend.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #39
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

EXCERPT

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...?page=notebook

Nadal on Federer's heels?
Thanks to Blake, Federer was unable to get his revenge on Nadal, who beat him in Dubai. While Federer still owns a commanding lead in the overall ATP rankings, Nadal has beaten him three out of the four times they have met. With the clay court season starting next month, Nadal could potentially close the gap.

The question: Can Nadal overtake Federer for the No. 1 ranking this year?

McEnroe: I would say no, it's not going to happen and I'll tell you why.

First, there's no doubt Nadal is a dominant clay court player, but you have to remember he won two Masters Series on clay and the French Open in 2005. He's going to have to be 100 percent to do that again, just to defend his points.

I clearly believe Nadal has a little bit of a psychological edge in the head-to-head matchups with Federer (three out of four, including twice on hard courts -- that's not a fluke.) Nadal is in Federer's head to some extent. To give Nadal a chance to be No. 1, he has to perform at a Grand Slam other than the French. He has to have a big result at Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, and quite honestly, Wimbledon is a long shot for him.

Before I can say this is a rivalry for No. 1, we need to see Nadal do something outside of the French. Obviously he's capable, but he hasn't done it yet.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #40
country flag Rogiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
I clearly believe Nadal has a little bit of a psychological edge in the head-to-head matchups with Federer (three out of four, including twice on hard courts -- that's not a fluke.)
Sad but true
Old 03-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #41
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some stats:
Even if Roger loses 1st round, AND Nadal wins the tourney, Nadal will only cut 150 points off the 2000+ gap between them right now.

That's because Nadal made the final last year, therefore he's got 350 points to defend.
Wrong. Fed would lose 500 points (495 to be exact), and if Nadal won the tournament, he would gain 150 points. That would be a total gain of 645 points for Nadal which would drastically shrink Fed's margin because Fed has two tournaments counting that Nadal didn't play in: TMC and the AO.

Let's say that Nadal had not been injured or whatever and had played these two tournaments. Let's say he won 3 round robin matches in Shanghai and lost in the SF, and made it into the F at the AO (both conservative estimates). He would right now only be about 1200 points behind which could easily dissappear if Nadal defends his clay points. So, while the margin looks big, there are some tournaments that could really turn around the rankings and IW was one of them. An early loss by Fed there and a Nadal win would've meant huge gains for Rafa.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #42
country flag Rogiman

Right, my bad!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #43
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

Winning Miami is important to Roger and let's hope he is successful in his defense of the title. Personally, I think it's not only important in terms of points, but also from a psycological perspective. Nadal is putting pressure on Roger and that Dubai final didn't help matters. Roger needs to stroll into the clay season being able to say to himself, "hey, with all the pressure he(Nadal) attempted to put on me, I defended, now, it's my turn to put pressure on him to defend his two." Should Roger go out early and Nadal win this tournament, it will rattle Roger and may make him doubt himself as he enters the clay season................while giving Nadal even more confidence.

In terms of points, should Roger lose Miami early and Nadal win the title, there will no longer be a 2000+ points to play with............in addition to this, should Nadal perform better at Wimbledon and the US Open, he will close the gap even more (and while some may laugh at Nadal, I do not think it is so farfetched to expect him to perform well at these events). Lastly, Nadal isn't defending any point at the Masters' cup, he can only gain, so that can close the gap even further and turn the year end no. 1 position into a bit of a fight..............

Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 03-21-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #44
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa also won Barcelona, which is a 60-pointer [like Dubai] -- that's 300 ranking pts he has to defend -- that tourney is the week betw. MC and Roma.

Basically Rogi doesn't have a lot of time or margin to breathe this year and he still has the pressure to win Miami.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #45
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
Dude, you just love getting way ahead of yourself don't you

Final is a long ways away and who says Roger and Rafa will play each other in the final? There are no absolute guarantees in tennis today.

ABSOLUTELY!

I'm bored of all those GM threads prognosticating Rogi/Rafa finals in every tournament... just about. Ho hum...

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote