How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #76
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
How worse is Roger's French?
His French language is very good with a few funny words sometimes

I often read Swiss people thinking French people like Federer because they consider he's French : it's sincerely silly, Fed is just loved for himself as he's loved everywhere in the world, with something more in France for several reasons which include his interviews in French for sure.

Tignor recently said something which is very true : if he was French, he would be booed sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tignor
The crowd inside Court Suzanne Lenglen isn’t cheering for a countryman. It’s cheering for an idol, a man referred to by at least one Parisian this week as “Jesus.” If anything, this makes the fans more obsessive and intense. A French player is a family member, someone you love and occasionally hate, someone you’ll support and defend at most times, but who you can also scold and jeer if they let you down. Federer isn’t family; nor is he like a favorite local French sports team. He’s something more here, something more distanced and inarguable. He's the Truth.
In a way from what I read in French-speaking Swiss forums, Fed has many critics in the French speaking part of Switzerland that he would receive in France if he was French.

PS : Forget loves Federer's game or rather he loves that it's related to the real tennis he loves, the one from the players he met in the 90s. But apart from that, he's rather critical of Federer, esp. Fed's personality, partly to compensate but not only. Quite similar to Wilander's case.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #77
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here

Roger is well known in Norway. Our own tennis players have never amounted to much, unfortunately, but we still follow the sport. The Wimby final was shown live on national TV (not commercial). He is regularly in the sport section of the newspapers, and a Federer win is always bigger news than any other result.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #78
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

At Croatian newspaper on few pages of Olympics intro, there is Fed picture and text next to it " Federer - A man greater than games itself "
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #79
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I often read Swiss people thinking French people like Federer because they consider he's French : it's sincerely silly, Fed is just loved for himself as he's loved everywhere in the world, with something more in France for several reasons which include his interviews in French for sure.
Well, during RG France 2 journos should stop saying year after year "well, you speak French so well surely you must have some French roots, no?" or "his doctor used to be French so that makes him a bit ours"
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #80
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
Well, during RG France 2 journos should stop saying year after year "well, you speak French so well surely you must have some French roots, no?" or "his doctor used to be French so that makes him a bit ours"
I had never heard that on French TV neither read that on French papers,
I only read recently that Fed had been asked that question in an interview how far of the French border he was born.

I mean surely if you only look for that, you can find it somewhere as you can find many things in the tuns of papers written about Fed, but it's nothing major

EDIT : I realized you were speaking of the TV news on France 2 TV and I don't watch that program, now I know I think it's because it's news not speficically for the tennisfans, they have to add some proximity

Last edited by duong : 07-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #81
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #82
country flag kenneth79

kenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Roger is well known in Norway. Our own tennis players have never amounted to much, unfortunately, but we still follow the sport. The Wimby final was shown live on national TV (not commercial). He is regularly in the sport section of the newspapers, and a Federer win is always bigger news than any other result.
Agree with this although Christian Ruud was of a decent standard in the 90s. I believe he reached the final in Bĺstad one time and pushed my then favourite Becker hard in 92 Olympics!

I suppose one could also count Molla Mallory (born Bjurstedt) who emigrated to the US but participated in the 1912 Olympics for Norway. She later won a bucketload of US Championship titles (equivalent to the US Open now)
kenneth79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #83
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth79 View Post
Agree with this although Christian Ruud was of a decent standard in the 90s. I believe he reached the final in Bĺstad one time and pushed my then favourite Becker hard in 92 Olympics!

I suppose one could also count Molla Mallory (born Bjurstedt) who emigrated to the US but participated in the 1912 Olympics for Norway. She later won a bucketload of US Championship titles (equivalent to the US Open now)
I remember Ruud well. His pushing Becker was of course impressive, but it was on clay...his best surface and Becker's worst. I too rooted for Becker at the time and remember than he won the Doubles together with Stich. Ruud maxed out at 39 in the rankings and never won a final. He beat Ivanisevic for his best career win. I wonder how many players has Ivanisevic as best career win? Must be a few.

Molla Bjurstedt Mallory was of course a great player, but not one who has contributed to Norwegian tennis interest in recent decades, I fear. A little too long ago. But at least we have a slam winner
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote