How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #61
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin
Exactly the same over here, when Thomas Muster stopped playing I never understood why people are only interested in a sport when one of their fellow country men/women is doing well.
I don't get it either but I do think at least for the "general" public, having their fellow country men/women doing well would at least bring up the interests/awareness of that sports, and then they can slowly "venture" into appreciating sportsmen/women from other countries.

I like to know how popular is tennis still in Thailand now though, it was once rather huge i think in 2003 when Paradorn was doing really well (I was there and most people I knew talk and watch tennis (or rather paradorn ) there), but not sure how's it lately...any fans from Thailand here?
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #62
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here)

Roger is the Most Popluar Tennis Star in China~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #63
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country?

Unfortunately tennis isn't really popular here in Germany anymore since the glory days of Becker, Graf and Stich are over. There aren't many tournaments broadcasted on television. But as Switzerland is the neighbour country the people who are interested in tennis will know Roger. He normally plays the tournaments in Hamburg and Halle in my country and you all know what a great run he has there
Roger was already a guest in Germanys most successful tv show "Wetten dass" a few years ago and got the popular "Goldene Kamera" award, which is given to famous people from national and international showbusiness.
Rogers achievements are noticed by the media and I have never heard anything negative said about him.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #64
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here

I sometimes go on vacation to Singapore, and I can safely say that thought they dont have any players at the top, they still have the best coverage of tennis I have ever seen.

they cover all the masters series, and grand slams.They also cover isg and some is tournaments. Even davis cup occasionally.

i have been to singapore, hong kong, india. And tennis is CRAZY. Everyone knows federer and most people love to watch him.

It is not #1 sport like soccer in HK and singapore, or cricket in India, but I assure you its big.

In the US, tennis is becoming bigger and bigger. Federer is now frequently in media conversations.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #65
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here

Well, I recently went to attend this Heavy Metal Festival - Wacken Open Air- and me and my mateys over there bumped into a lot of friendly people at the Biergarten, including some Metal Lovers from Zürich - and they really were sooo enthusiastic to learn that this Dutchie truly *loved* their HERO, Roger Federer!!!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-20-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo's :-)
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #66
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Roger, Andy and Nadal also popular in China~~
Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #67
country flag mineralwater

mineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much everyone here in the UK has heard of Roger because he has won Wimbledon 5 (wow - that still impresses me!) times. Lots of Brits become die hard tennis fans for the 2 weeks of Wimbledon then ignore it for the other 50 weeks. However a few people I know in this category say he's is amazing to watch and would probably watch more if he was on terrestrial TV. Vast majority of tennis is on Skysports or Eurosport for which you need cable
mineralwater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #68
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone knows Roger in France, a friend of mine who knows absolutely nothing about tennis (she barely knew who Gasquet was) told me I was the Federer of penspinning the other day ( yes I'm easily bored in class ).
The vast majority of people I've talked to seem to like him and want him to win RG, which is only logical since the entire crowd was cheering for him in the final, and the press and commentators worship him you should hear Forget commentating one of his matchs : he's one of the biggest Fedtards ever. During the USO a journalist in l'Equipe even suggested that a room be dedicated to Roger in the MOMA
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #69
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
...commentators worship him you should hear Forget commentating one of his matchs : he's one of the biggest Fedtards ever...:
I love how Forget is rooting badly for Roger to win the French even though he was not kind with Roger regarding his DC commitment, he truly loves Roger
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #70
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower View Post
I love how Forget is rooting badly for Roger to win the French even though he was not kind with Roger regarding his DC commitment, he truly loves Roger
He's not even discreet about it he's said it times and times again that he would love to see him win RG because he's got such a beautiful game compared to Nadal (his words not mine) but DC is a soft spot for Forget even though I think everyone overreacts a little to Roger's commitment to DC, but it's nice to live in a very Roger friendly country
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #71
country flag SUKTUEN

How worse is Roger's French?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #72
country flag betty.k

betty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond reputebetty.k has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis traditionally is a favourite sport here, in the Czech Rep., in a lot of the movies from the 50's the thing for the characters to do in their free time was to play doubles. Lendl, Novotna, Navratilova, Korda and all these helped keep the attention over the years and the fact that the Czech Davis Cup team never dropped out of the elite group shows that the standard maintained its level. We seem to have pretty good players in every generation, now it's Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek. But even so, the sports that rule here are football and hockey.
To the point, people who are at least a bit interested in sports (not just tennis), know who RF is. I was really surprised today during my English lesson, where we learn about syntax, morphology and various linguistic aspects, that tennis got mentioned! My teacher needed to give an example of a newspaper article title and after a while came up with: Federer - Stepanek 40 Love. Wow!
betty.k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #73
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

I think we could add a few new answers to this thread after nearly 5 years
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #74
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Most people that I've talked to who don't watch/follow tennis at least have heard of Federer, and sometimes watch big matches like the Wimbledon final because he's playing.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #75
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say pretty popular for not being American! My coach loves him and everyone at the tennis center always asks me where I got my RF hat.
His practice sessions at Cincy were packed. Also, I went the the USA vs. Spain Davis Cup QFs last year for all three days and I saw a ton of people wearing RF hats.!
Naturally they're not gonna root for Roger if he's playing against Roddick, but I'll never forget the way the crowd really pulled for Roger @ the US Open 2008. Especially during the Andreev match. And they played 'Still the one' after all his matches, except after he won they played the Darth Vader theme. Also, Roger said on the morning shows "I'm starting to feel a bit like a New Yorker now."

Last edited by Fed_Ds : 07-27-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote