How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #46
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy

How is it possible that Israel has 2 Rogi fans here where M'sia only one...I'm beginning to think you and Rogiman are simply the same person
Busted!
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #47
country flag ytben

ytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
And if I open a Rogi fans in Israel thread I will end up talking with Rogiman and instead of discussing Roger we will be talking about 1001 ways to cook pork

Isy, maybe we can merge Malaysia & Indonesia thread so at least we can talk to each other. The food in our countries are kinda similar, so we can talk about the recipe for cooking pork as well

Seriously, in Indonesia sports = badminton & golf. So unless you are an avid tennis fans, people will go Federer who?
When he won slams or master series, we did get his face on our newspapers from time to time though.
Federer Express proud passenger seat #23

Good luck to Federer and Gasquet. Long live beautiful tennis!
ytben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #48
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here)

Dear Isy & RonE mates~ thanks for the kind words***.

Isy,^don`t suppose you have a Vanessa or Kevin in your circle of friends?[popular Malaysian names maybe?]...From 1997-2001 I was at Melb Uni & met most of my KL pals during that time.Anyway as you said there are many Malysians in Melbourne these days so it would be a sheer fluke if we knew the same ones~~~#.About the current Korean culture/movie/drama boom~ what do you attribute it to? Korean dramas strike me as being overly serious & even pretentious[every one has a flashy car & house etc.].Japan got Korean fever around 3-years ago,so when did it start in Malaysia?

RonE,^are you Isralian? For some reason I always pictured you as English. I guess than name RonE reminds me of the Two Ronnies,^are you familiar with these British comic geniuses? If you`re ever thinking of coming to Japan then please give me a hand to educate the public here about Federer`s brilliance!

Japan`s relationship with tennis is a curious one*.* In the early 1980s McEnroe & Borg were absolute superstars here & then Sampras/Agassi also built up a big following. Then somehow in the last 5-years or so it`s all been about female tennis. Whenever there`s a Slam on they usually show the results from the women`s finals but nothing for the men. Some of the Junior High school kids can mention Davenport or Hingis[other than Sharapova] but none of them can recall the name Federer??? It`s really a big mystery. Maybe Roger needs to appear on more of the Japanese comedy/variety shows to increase public awareness. When Ian Thorpe & David Beckham did that their star* status in Japan reached new levels!!
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #49
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE

And if I open a Rogi fans in Israel thread I will end up talking with Rogiman and instead of discussing Roger we will be talking about 1001 ways to cook pork

I've actually been surprised to find out some people I had been sure would not be familiar with his name knew exactly who he was and his undisputed status.

Of course, if the tennis situation right now in Israel were better (like two decades ago, when we defeated Czechoslovakia in DC and had Amos and Gilad and Shahar, and to an extent Shlomo in the top 100) he would be very famous methinks.

Unfortunately we only have Harel and Dudi and Andy&Johny in doubles, so no wonder few give a shit.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #50
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
How is it possible that Israel has 2 Rogi fans here where M'sia only one...I'm beginning to think you and Rogiman are simply the same person

Ron is much nicer than me, and makes a way better ambassador of our country here

Unfortunately, lately he's learnt a thing or two from me about nastyness, hence the legendary "Piggy roasting thread" and his new avatar
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #51
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Ron is much nicer than me, and makes a way better ambassador of our country here
That's the point- I am not that much nicer than you, I only know how to sugarcoat that facet of my personality better

And yes, back in the golden days of Amos and Shlomo there must have been much greater interest in the game (although I myself was not following tennis back then )

But you know what? Maybe if young Shachar makes a big enough dent in the women's game it might finally spark some interest. Now, what have I been smoking for me to say such a thing?

Last edited by RonE : 03-23-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #52
country flag RonE

Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie
RonE,^are you Isralian? For some reason I always pictured you as English. I guess than name RonE reminds me of the Two Ronnies,^are you familiar with these British comic geniuses? If you`re ever thinking of coming to Japan then please give me a hand to educate the public here about Federer`s brilliance!
Yes, I am Israeli. I guess it must be my English. After all I did spend many of my formative years in your home country.

I have been to Japan once a long long time ago though I would LOVE to go again. But as lsy mentioned, to do so would be very tough on the wallet
Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #53
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

In Holland tennis has taken a major slump after the succesfull generation of Krajicek, Eltingh, Haarhuis and Siemerink. We currently have one player, barely, in the top 100, and 3 in the top 300.
Not surprisingly, the Dutch have moved on to sports where we are better at, or have been better at anyway. Football and speedskating.
Most people would know the Williams sisters, Sharapova, Agassi and Sampras. That's about it for the tennis infidels among us. Luckily I have a few friends who know their sports and they are rightfully in awe of Roger.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #54
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman

That's the biggest joke here
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #55
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we all reaize there are many Roger fans in China. Oh well, China has a huuuuuuuuge population, no wonder a bigger population in any kind of groupie I think TMC really boosted the popularity of tennis in China, esp in Shanghai. And every time Roger lost a match in a beautiful way( ) like 05AO and 05TMC, there would appear a bunch of his new fans

I'm surprised to find that my housemates here actually know him before I poured everything to them
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:23 AM   #56
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Well in my country, I believe we recognize and respect Rogi more than in some other countries [...ahem, S of the border... ]. The fact that he was totally mobbed in TO04 shows that some tennis fans knew who he was anyway!

And I try to do my part by educating non-tennis people I come in contact w [family, friends, co-workers, unsuspecting people in the street, people who work in my fave places [bakeries, pastry shops, cafes, magazine stores... ] about the No 1 tennis player in the world. Yes, even some of them find themselves unconsciously "watching" Rogi on TV, in the news, in the papers... a little education can go a long way! [Even a friend of mine actually bought me a tennis DVD, remembering certain players' names, i.e., esp Federer, as well as Ferrero, etc.]

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis

Last edited by RogiFan88 : 03-24-2006 at 03:25 AM.
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #57
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
In Holland tennis has taken a major slump after the succesfull generation of Krajicek, Eltingh, Haarhuis and Siemerink.
Exactly the same over here, when Thomas Muster stopped playing I never understood why people are only interested in a sport when one of their fellow country men/women is doing well.

As for Roger's popoluarity over here: Those you ever hold a raquet in their hands themselves, do know him and he is highly appreciated. Roger is also known to those who just follow sports very generally, "oh yeah, the Swiss tennis player", that's a comment you would hear.

The group watching sports just to satisfy their nationalistic instincts (thereby supporting a football team which never achieves anything , but is on TV all the time) would say: "oh, tennis, Thomas Muster....."

And finally: winter sports is generally much more popular in Austria, both in front of the TV and people doing it themselves.

Last edited by Puschkin : 03-24-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:34 AM   #58
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Is Roger popluar in USA?
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #59
country flag BeerMe

BeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond reputeBeerMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here

WHAT CAN I SAY>>>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg euro_vs_america.jpg (84.8 KB, 8 views)
BeerMe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #60
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie
Dear Isy & RonE mates~ thanks for the kind words***.

Isy,^don`t suppose you have a Vanessa or Kevin in your circle of friends?[popular Malaysian names maybe?]...From 1997-2001 I was at Melb Uni & met most of my KL pals during that time.Anyway as you said there are many Malysians in Melbourne these days so it would be a sheer fluke if we knew the same ones~~~#.About the current Korean culture/movie/drama boom~ what do you attribute it to? Korean dramas strike me as being overly serious & even pretentious[every one has a flashy car & house etc.].Japan got Korean fever around 3-years ago,so when did it start in Malaysia?
As a matter of fact I do have quite a few Kevin in my phone list But I doubt we crossed path, coz I came back from Melbourne in 1998! Reminded me how old I am

About that Koren drama, I would say these past 2 or 3 years? I'm actually not too sure coz I'm hardly a fan...I think the first really popular Korean drama here is the "Winter Sonata"? I remembered watching it for like one or two episodes...all I felt was I definitely share the same impression of that flashy car/house thing

But recently there's this really popular Korean drama all throughout Asia...that one about how this lady became the first female doctor for the King? You seen that? I haven't and still wondering if it's really that good, coz apparently even the ex prime minster of china watched and loved it
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote